GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Re: GWS to get pick 1

Cameron is the best young centre half forward currently playing. He has the form on the board and will only get better over the next couple of years. He would be the ideal Roo replacement. I would be happy for a direct swap- yes for pick 1. All the better if a late first round pick comes our way as well.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

Us keeping pick 1 and using it on Petracca is also fair
If they want it badly enough... Make them pay

Shiels and Cameron is an outrageous price... Start there and negotiate until we get a good deal

Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
Petracca..the next Chris Judd??? Big call. Do you mean in how he plays, or do you rate him as that good?

If it is on the quality, rather than how he plays aspect I would be interested in who is rating him this highly.

I have only seen snippets, and so am personally not able to really rate any of the kids. But from what I have read of this years draft it is weaker at the top end than many drafts. Which would make Petracca not the next Judd...

PS
At this stage I would be content taking Petracca as our No 1 pick, as we lack quality mids and he is a good contrast to the young mids that we already have.
I think that we need a good mid more than we need a good forward at present. But I would take Cameron for a straight swap of our No1 pick as I would rate him above Petracca based upon what I have read.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evo
Club Player

More like Dustin Martin than Judd IMHO.

ctqs
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
skeptic wrote: Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
If he is that good then its not worth trading him for anything. Literally Cameron + 4 is not worth a Judd level player IMO..

So it comes down to is Patracca really the next Judd, or do we see him as realistically a rung below?
And Judd wasn't pick one. He went number three. Having said that, a bloke called Hodge goes alright, too.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Petracca is more explosive like Judd, Danger and Boak than Martin but there's still some similar attributes. Both are strong 1v1 and hit the scoreboard.

It's going to take a massive offer to part with pick 1. Gut feel is our asking price will be too much and we'll draft Petracca.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I want Petracca!

I want Cameron!

Jeremy comes out of contract end of season 2015. He has so far refused the GWoganS request to extend his contract. He wants outski!

So we can get him for nothing in the 2015 PSD draft.

Therefore, I would be horrified if we did a straight swap of Pick 1 for Jeremy. I would be demanding significant overs from anyone before parting with the Number 1 pick.

Petracca is not only the clear standout in this draft (Petraca, then daylight IMHO), but he could well be a once in a generation type. Who says that? Well, judging from how keen other clubs are to get the Number 1 pick... it ain't just me.

Wait one more season... end up with Petracca and Cameron! :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
howlinwolf
Club Player

Sounds great if it worked out like that Dave. But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush they say.
I'm thinking I'd settle for Cameron,Jacksch and O'Rourke for our No.1 and second pick. I know O'rourke has had hammy issues but Judd had injury cloud all over hm with his shoulders and he turned out o.k !
That way we have again score three inside 20 picks (on paper anyway) and we could keep from trading a Monty type.

Cameron would be a great start towards replacing Roo. He already is producing now.
Petracca would be good too. I'm happy to stick with that if the above didn't come through. We need mids but a potentially great forward like Cameron is hard to pass up.
We can't fix all our issues in one draft.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I want Petracca!

I want Cameron!

Jeremy comes out of contract end of season 2015. He has so far refused the GWoganS request to extend his contract. He wants outski!

So we can get him for nothing in the 2015 PSD draft.

Therefore, I would be horrified if we did a straight swap of Pick 1 for Jeremy. I would be demanding significant overs from anyone before parting with the Number 1 pick.

Petracca is not only the clear standout in this draft (Petraca, then daylight IMHO), but he could well be a once in a generation type. Who says that? Well, judging from how keen other clubs are to get the Number 1 pick... it ain't just me.

Wait one more season... end up with Petracca and Cameron! :twisted:

Horrified if we swapped pick one for Cameron? Tell me you are joking. Lets face it, it isn't happening but it would be a fantastic deal. 100 to one if not longer odds. To be honest I have hardly heard a player linked to us.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Petracca deserves his high draft ranking. More of a Dustin Martin type who is just at home in the midfield. Does not have the "at all costs" attitude/approach of Wines and I can see why we are looking to trade number 1 as the weakest top 10 draft for many years. Good year to trade number 1 pick for a few proven guns.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

this time of year pluggs names will get thrown around every where and obviously each one will eventually get linked to us through saintsational ... in the end its best to sit back and watch the ride

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hi Howlin' as ever your post makes sense, and is way way better than the straight swap (Pick 1 for Cameron) that others have called for.

Hi Pluggs, no I'm definitely not dreaming. GWoganS will lose Cameron for nuthin' end of next season. He is refusing to extend his contract. He wants to return to civilization.

Therefore, anything that we give them for him is a bonus to them.

We hold all the cards, and so we should screw those AFL love-child bastards! :twisted:

Again, it's all about the long game. We are patient. We are building a dynasty. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Hi Howlin' as ever your post makes sense, and is way way better than the straight swap (Pick 1 for Cameron) that others have called for.

Hi Pluggs, no I'm definitely not dreaming. GWoganS will lose Cameron for nuthin' end of next season. He is refusing to extend his contract. He wants to return to civilization.

We hold all the cards, and so we should screw those AFL love-child bastards! :twisted:

Again, it's all about the long game. We are patient. We are building a dynasty. 8-)

Don't know what nuthin is but why would they lose Cameron for nothing next season? Just because you are out of contract doesn't mean you don't get anything. And big deal that he isn't extending his contract yet. Why would that mean he is leaving but if he was and we could get him this year we would be crazy to wait till next year and take the punt we get him. I doubt he will come to us, matter of fact he is no hope but he is worth pick one and then some. And im patient and live in east Bentleigh unlike you being patient and living in fantasyland.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Hi Howlin' as ever your post makes sense, and is way way better than the straight swap (Pick 1 for Cameron) that others have called for.

problem is if as you say Cameron wants out of GWS and is all but gone then why would GWS trade with us just to be ripped off ?? i would say there would be at least 15 clubs that would take Cameron off GWS and would give them a decent fair return for the player they want ...

i think the days of one club royally shafting another club are behind us now days most trades are win/win trades

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

problem is if as you say Cameron wants out of GWS and is all but gone then why would GWS trade with us just to be ripped off ?? i would say there would be at least 15 clubs that would take Cameron off GWS and would give them a decent fair return for the player they want ...

i think the days of one club royally shafting another club are behind us now days most trades are win/win trades

Exactly and that's why the PSD has gone to crap. Clubs now try to work together so that everyone wins. When was the last really good player that left for bugger all?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Luke ball :{

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Luke ball :{

Good point.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Why?
Because gws want the pet boy, that's why
And yes I believe they can lose him for nothing.
You know that pluggs, even I know that and I know bugger all about the draft system.

Nick Stevens anyone?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Why?
You know that pluggs, even I know that and I know bugger all about the draft system.

Nick Stevens anyone?

Long time ago and they stuffed up by not trading. It doesn't happen often at all. Stevens must have been at least 10 years ago. If Cameron wants to leave at the end of next season GWS will be offered plenty of top picks. We wont get him unless to pay with a top pick, even when out of contract at the end of next season. And would he really want to leave a club on the rise and then go to a club who probably haven't even bottomed out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Nick Stevens anyone?

Long time ago and they stuffed up by not trading. It doesn't happen often at all. Stevens must have been at least 10 years ago. If Cameron wants to leave at the end of next season GWS will be offered plenty of top picks. We wont get him unless to pay with a top pick, even when out of contract at the end of next season. And would he really want to leave a club on the rise and then go to a club who probably haven't even bottomed out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Nick Stevens anyone?

Long time ago and they stuffed up by not trading. It doesn't happen often at all. Stevens must have been at least 10 years ago. If Cameron wants to leave at the end of next season GWS will be offered plenty of top picks. We wont get him unless to pay with a top pick, even when out of contract at the end of next season. And would he really want to leave a club on the rise and then go to a club who probably haven't even bottomed out

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Wtf has how long ago got to do with anything?.
The point was made because its either trade him or lose him for nithing
That's the whole point Dave has been saying.
Obviously the Stevens thing prob won't happen....its why we are pretty much in prime spot.
The worst that could happen is take Pet at pick one.

Nice spot to be in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Shiels and Cameron is an outrageous price... Start there and negotiate until we get a good deal

Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
Petracca..the next Chris Judd??? Big call. Do you mean in how he plays, or do you rate him as that good?

If it is on the quality, rather than how he plays aspect I would be interested in who is rating him this highly.

I have only seen snippets, and so am personally not able to really rate any of the kids. But from what I have read of this years draft it is weaker at the top end than many drafts. Which would make Petracca not the next Judd...

PS
At this stage I would be content taking Petracca as our No 1 pick, as we lack quality mids and he is a good contrast to the young mids that we already have.
I think that we need a good mid more than we need a good forward at present. But I would take Cameron for a straight swap of our No1 pick as I would rate him above Petracca based upon what I have read.
I don't follow the state competitions so I have no idea about the type of player Petracca is/how good etc

I meant this more in terms of stature

The reality is that as of right now, as previously pointed out Petracca is a young player with a heap of potential...

IMO however, this is not the correct way to look at him

Right now, he is judged head and shoulders above the rest... the best midfielder and future star of the competition. For all intents and purposes he is essentially Chris Judd at the moment... the future midfield star of the comp, player of his generation. It'l like this because he is a clear standout... it's not a top 5 are even type of deal

Whether he is actually that good or not is irrelevant because there is no actual way of knowing

Hence when you consider trading the pick it's not correct to look at breaking even or being fair...
if you're going to do that... what's the point of trading? You're better staying with the commodity that you already have

You don't want to trade Chris Judd for Scott Pendlebury because the best case scenario is that he's equally as good or slightly better and the risk is he isn't as good. In that scenario (and I know I'm mixing eras here) you're better off staying with what works for you.

With the Petracca deal... we are not worse off for picking him. So what's the point of trading him for a guy like Cameron and having a gun forward instead of a gun mid... you're robbing Peter to pay Paul... no better off.

If they rate him that much... like he's the new Judd... the outcome for us is to make sure that we're better off for having lost him.

My first thought is that I want Jeremy Cameron but A) he's not enough and B) GWS aren't in a position to have leverage with him... he's going to leave them next season at the latest and the reality is that GWS is in a position to be bent over by the bottom club which is likely to be a Victorian one.

Shiels seems like a good start... but him and pick 3 (likely a KPP that isn't a standout as of yet)... well we're likely to be down the bottom next season too... this my be GWS only chance to get something for Cameron.

IMO the correct play here is to keep the pick and try to leverage a deal that involves at least 2 players and improving picks as minimum

Go high or go home

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:

PS
I don't follow the state competitions so I have no idea about the type of player Petracca is/how good etc

I meant this more in terms of stature

The reality is that as of right now, as previously pointed out Petracca is a young player with a heap of potential...

IMO however, this is not the correct way to look at him

Right now, he is judged head and shoulders above the rest... the best midfielder and future star of the competition. For all intents and purposes he is essentially Chris Judd at the moment... the future midfield star of the comp, player of his generation. It'l like this because he is a clear standout... it's not a top 5 are even type of deal

Whether he is actually that good or not is irrelevant because there is no actual way of knowing

Hence when you consider trading the pick it's not correct to look at breaking even or being fair...
if you're going to do that... what's the point of trading? You're better staying with the commodity that you already have

You don't want to trade Chris Judd for Scott Pendlebury because the best case scenario is that he's equally as good or slightly better and the risk is he isn't as good. In that scenario (and I know I'm mixing eras here) you're better off staying with what works for you.

With the Petracca deal... we are not worse off for picking him. So what's the point of trading him for a guy like Cameron and having a gun forward instead of a gun mid... you're robbing Peter to pay Paul... no better off.

If they rate him that much... like he's the new Judd... the outcome for us is to make sure that we're better off for having lost him.

My first thought is that I want Jeremy Cameron but A) he's not enough and B) GWS aren't in a position to have leverage with him... he's going to leave them next season at the latest and the reality is that GWS is in a position to be bent over by the bottom club which is likely to be a Victorian one.

Shiels seems like a good start... but him and pick 3 (likely a KPP that isn't a standout as of yet)... well we're likely to be down the bottom next season too... this my be GWS only chance to get something for Cameron.

IMO the correct play here is to keep the pick and try to leverage a deal that involves at least 2 players and improving picks as minimum

Go high or go home

The problem is he isn't rated head and shoulders above anyone else. He isn't the clear number one pick and it seems from outside to be a weak draft. And there is no way we would get Shiel and pick 3. He is probably a pick 3 player on his own so we wouldn't get him and just lose 2 positions in the draft. The number one pick should be tradable at the right price. I reckon it is overrated myself. As I have said before I would trade it for Mitchell. He will be a star. That I am sure of. Petracca may or may not be a star. The ideal scenario is to get a very good player and a top 10 pick as Melbourne did last year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good thing about Dylan is first that he is a gun - and second that hed be one of the few players in the known universe who might actually like Seaford.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

What happens next year when GWS (hyperthetically) win 7-10 games and the feeling among the club is they are coming good and the wins lift the overall feel of the club?

The talk of just getting Cameron in the PSD next year is probably more unlikely that a crazy good trade like Cameron & 4 for pick one.

If anyone can recall Tyson, two years ago he was a signature away from joining Richmond, then he signed at GWS to the end of 2015 - 12 months later he was getting BOGs lining up for Melbourne. Why do I use this example? Because as cliche as it is, a lot can happen in 12 months so if there is a chance we can get any of Shiel, Treloar, Boyd or especially Cameron this year - then we take it when we have the chance.

Saying why would we trade for Cameron when we can get him for from is fantasy stuff.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!