COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.

Wayne42 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:How many have they developed off the rookie list? How many low draft picks have they turned into very good players? How many discards have they turned into guns?
COLA has nothing to do with it, if we were half the club they are we'd have the same sort of record!
Have to very strongly disagree on this one Bernard.

I guess I get pretty annoyed when the 'commentators' rave on about how well run the Swines are. But the reality is very very different.

Yes, no doubt that the Swines have done plenty right, both on and off the field, but bottom line, if we'd had that extra $900K in our salary cap over the last decade, we would have 100% definitely won three flags (2005, 2009, 2010), and up to six flags (2004, 2006, 2012)... and we wouldn't need the help of AFL rigged tribunals either. :evil:

Looking at things that way, the Swine's one flag in 2012 starts to look pretty damn ordinary. :evil:

They aren't so bloody flash if everything is put fully into perspective. :idea:
You really are a 100% definite joke old boy! Care to explain exactly how we'd have pulled off these miracles?
I'm not a commentator, just someone who enjoys footy and loves the Saints.
Have a real look at the Swans list this year and apart from Tippett and Buddy, who have they got through having a few extra dollars in the salary cap?

They won in '05 as well!
I thought my post was obvious Bernard(?) It's all spelt out very clearly I would have thought(?)

If our sides that I listed above had an extra $900K in their salary cap to spend on players, do you seriously not think we could have 'topped up' our talent pool to get us over the line in those years...?

How good could our (supposedly) infamous Achille's Heel bottom six players have been?
Ro$$y wouldn't have to top up on all those 'very good at-VFL-level' players whose recruiting (often rightfully so) caused so much angst on here...

there was a reason we couldn't chase after any big fish...
there was a reason we couldn't chase after a topflight third marking forward...

our cap was maxed out on a small number of highly paid champions, who were getting more than their equivalents at our fellow contending clubs.

The Swines are also paying overs, but unlike us, that extra $900K in the cap means they can still go and get a Tippett, and then a Franklin, and this draft... who knows...?

That's an incredible advantage. An advantage we did not have when we were contending.

Give us an extra $900K back then and we would have won flags. That's why I say the Swine's 'effort' is not what some make it out to be... it's simple maths really, I guess.

PS: The point was raised that the Swine's $900K can't be used on the one single player. True, but IMHO that's irrelevant semantics. All that matters is that they have $900K more money in their cap to go out and buy players.

No extra $900K in their cap and they wouldn't have Buddy Ego, nor would they have been able to waste $800K-odd on the most over-paid/under-performing player in the competition
That means you don't want the facts getting in the way of a good whine
Sorry, have to disagree Wayne. I've laid out the facts and the maths. This time round you're the one not addressing them.

Again, add $900K to our salary cap when we were contending...

For a simple example, that would have added (and with change left over) any two of the likes of Bartel, Steve J, J Selwood, Enright, Kelly, Harry Taylor, Scarlet (but puh-lease, no to him), Corey, or anyone else in those Hillbilly teams. Pick the best two that you like, and put them in our teams... do you reckon we'd have then been boosted enough to get over the line a few times...?

Or we could have spent it boosting the 'bottom six' with blokes who could snag a couple of goals on top of 'playing a role'.

Some of our losses... 2005 Port Prelim' 7pts which kept us from playing the E-girls whom we would have beaten easily even without the Swine's COLA, 2009 GF 6 pts when the siren sounded, 2010 drawn GF...

So sure, I'm whinging, but I'm whinging based on simple facts.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.1

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawt ... .html#poll

According to Caro the Swines were soft yesterday.

Must admit it was a very enjoyable flogging to witness. And I loved the booing of Goodes and Buddy. Pure gold all round!
You would have. Wasn't it lovely? No it was crap but that's my opinion. I didlike the result but a 2 goal game would have been better. Neither side winning gave me great joy ut Ben playing for the Hawks tipped me over the line. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Thats a bit sad for you P66. I revelled in the consummate football team tearing apart a team tht hs been given so many legups that they are just an AFL endorsed team.

I loved watching Hawthorn yesterday. Haven't seen a team play better in year. Easily the best they have played in 3 months this year. The midfield tore apart the AFL's parasites and were just wonderful to watch.

If you couldn't enjoy the marvellous Hawthorn team yesterday I fell sorry for you.

Added bonus was to see the parasites with their $900k advantage get flogged
Yes it was so much fun to see a side win their 3rd flag in 8 years and their 11th in 43 years. By the way when did I say I didn't enjoy them winning? I just re read what I wrote previously. I do enjoy all GF no matter who wins because its a fantastic day of footy and as Luke Hodge said its the best game in the world and I am lucky enough to go every year I want to go.
Fair enough.

I was awed by the hawks yesterday. THeir run and disposal efficiency through the middle in the first and second quarter was the best I have seen from a football team since the 2007 Cats.

I only saw it on TV, but they seemed to outnumber Sydney at every contest all day.

To kick 21 goals in a GF is just fantastic, in this day an age of defensive zone type football.

It was great and it was a champion team beating a purchased team of champions.

Hope it is forever so.
You like a few others have got the scores wrong. The hawks kicked 27 goals to Sydneys 6 and at one stage it was 9 goals to zero. On the game, yep the Hawks were awesome but I did want a lose GF. They are fantastic to watch.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Might also convince a few that not all premierships are built on keeping the opposition to 7 or 8 goals!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

What do youmean 27 goals to 6?

I dont understand, it was 21 to 11, what are you alluding to?

You are garbage - Enough said
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:What do youmean 27 goals to 6?

Probably just stirring the pot.

I was at the game. The hardness of the Hawks tackling in the 1st term was out of this world. Fair dinkum, they could take on the wallabies almost lol!

I went with a few dopers fans, who naturally hate the Hawks, but even they appreciated the sheer brilliance of this wonderful team.

The big margin was justice for good vs. evil, and made the day better than had it been close.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Might also convince a few that not all premierships are built on keeping the opposition to 7 or 8 goals!
Hawks kept Freo to about that last year :roll:

Obsessed or what?

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:What do youmean 27 goals to 6?

Well Franklin got 4, Kennedy one and McGlyn one. At one stage hawks players had kicked 9 goals to nil. So is that stirring SY? I wouldn't have thought so. It was just a piece of interest.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have a general question.
Has this year changed the whole way we think about footy?
The idea that defences win finals held sway for the last decade. But the Hawks and Port have said - well yes we defend well - but if we have the ball the whole time then we will win games with attack and multiple avenues to goal.

The hawks scored 418 goals and Port 362 this year. Thats a heck of a lot of goals. In 2009 when where we were dominant we scored 350.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Swans are in some trouble i reckon. They need Frawley badly down back youd think.

Goodes - Going or Gone
O Keefe - Gone
LRT - Gone
Richards - Going or Gone
Malceski - Possibly going
Pike - Going soon
Shaw - Going or Gone
McVeigh - On the slide

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:with all the cash splashed still can't beat a well organized well drilled team. Hawks now as good to maybe better then the cats since 07 due to this back to back flag.

Con Grats to Benny Mac... played a good game well deserved win.

i thought barry hall had at least one premiership medallion....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:How many have they developed off the rookie list? How many low draft picks have they turned into very good players? How many discards have they turned into guns?
COLA has nothing to do with it, if we were half the club they are we'd have the same sort of record!
You're right, they've had no help. Well done Sydney. Plugger was just first class recruiting.
gold mate... :wink: :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Sydney wins flags via cola and Eagles win theirs via coke and ice.

bit more than that i think...when the drug testers turned up at their training they would all jump the back fence.....

i was watching a show on the telliw at the gym...don't know what channel.....the panel included don scott and luke ball who was described as a former saints captain...not a former filth player....anyway scott reckoned steroids were rife in his day...even amongst team mates....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SEN reporting that Malceski is going to the Gold Coast.
Not confirmed.

Also reporting Mitch Clark is going to Geelong.