What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this yea

Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I did not think Cyril had a good game in the GF. Overshadowed by young Hill, and Cyril was probably not match conditioned.
I noticed a great quote from Hodge on the day before the game. He really tried the psyche out. He said all the players love having Cyril in the side because they know from experience in their own match pratice then even when Cyril doesnt get the ball he makes the backs panic when they have the ball cos you always have it in the back of your mind 'where is cyril?' because he sometimes comes from out of nowhere and tackles you. he said - so if we worry about him - we know the swans will worry about him too.

To be honest it is this 'panic' factor that we lacked in our fwd line when had a good side. Even when we were good - opposition sides would clear it from our fwd line with relative ease. It was really our awesome defence in those years that continually saved our bacon from frequent attacks.

I don't that last paragraph is true at all. Our defensive pressure in the forward line in 2009 was second to none. We kept the ball in there a hell of a lot. That was a huge strength of our club back then.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-29/ful ... raft-order

Stingers correct.
It will prob pushed out when melb get another pick for frawley

the only compensation for finishing last is the no 1 pick.......every other time we get to pick is after the premiers, hawthorn have a pick....

and there is a bit of difference between picks 3 and 4....seeing that their are only three acknowledged standouts in the draft.....petracca, wight and maccartin.....
Last edited by stinger on Mon 29 Sep 2014 4:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I did not think Cyril had a good game in the GF. Overshadowed by young Hill, and Cyril was probably not match conditioned.
I noticed a great quote from Hodge on the day before the game. He really tried the psyche out. He said all the players love having Cyril in the side because they know from experience in their own match pratice then even when Cyril doesnt get the ball he makes the backs panic when they have the ball cos you always have it in the back of your mind 'where is cyril?' because he sometimes comes from out of nowhere and tackles you. he said - so if we worry about him - we know the swans will worry about him too.

To be honest it is this 'panic' factor that we lacked in our fwd line when had a good side. Even when we were good - opposition sides would clear it from our fwd line with relative ease. It was really our awesome defence in those years that continually saved our bacon from frequent attacks.

I don't that last paragraph is true at all. Our defensive pressure in the forward line in 2009 was second to none. We kept the ball in there a hell of a lot. That was a huge strength of our club back then.

Disagree. We talked about it a lot. Lots and lots of talk about 'forward pressure'. But it was no good in reality. Unless you are going to try and tell me how great Eddy was in the space filling role? Kosi wasnt providing any and Roo and Milney very provided limited resistence when we didnt have the ball (witches hats basiclly). Schneider sure as hell wasnt providing any. I cant think of an easier fwd line to clear from.... Oh well I can actually (think Lee, Spencer, Roo, Schneider)

Go and watch some replays. Opposition half backs used to have a picnic against us. Harry, Harbrow, Shaw, Corey, Mackie, Kelly regularly ran riot against us.

We sure as hell didnt have anyone with a whispering death come out of nowhere and tackle fear factor like Cyril provides.

Once again the myth differs greatly from the reality.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Disagree. We talked about it a lot. Lots and lots of talk about 'forward pressure'. But it was no good in reality. Unless you are going to try and tell me how great Eddy was in the space filling role? Kosi wasnt providing any and Roo and Milney very provided limited resistence when we didnt have the ball (witches hats basiclly). Schneider sure as hell wasnt providing any. I cant think of an easier fwd line to clear from.... Oh well I can actually (think Lee, Spencer, Roo, Schneider)

Go and watch some replays. Opposition half backs used to have a picnic against us. Harry, Harbrow, Shaw, Corey, Mackie, Kelly regularly ran riot against us.

We sure as hell didnt have anyone with a whispering death come out of nowhere and tackle fear factor like Cyril provides.

I would suggest your memory differs greater from reality. I don't care who you named but we clearly had the best forward pressure in the AFL in 2009. That was our trademark. And if the opposition had such a picnic against us how did we win 19 in a row? And rather watch replays I will just remember what actually happened that year. And if this isn't the silliest statement ever than it is close to it considering we did win 19 in a row.

I cant think of an easier fwd line to clear from

Con please think about what you post before you post.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I would suggest your memory differs greater from reality. I don't care who you named but we clearly had the best forward pressure in the AFL in 2009. That was our trademark. And if the opposition had such a picnic against us how did we win 19 in a row? And rather watch replays I will just remember what actually happened that year. And if this isn't the silliest statement ever than it is close to it considering we did win 19 in a row.

You just used the word 'trademark'.. There is no marketing gumpf you wont swallow. When the Kool Aid is served you are the one skulling from the bucket and asking 'please sir can I have some more' like Oliver Twist.
I think I can rest my case just on that.

I said opposition half backs had a picnic against us - I then went on to name the actual players who really did dominate against us in actual real games. But typical of you to twist words and misrepresent to attempt to 'score a point'. Also typical that you wont use facts or address actual real events you just resort to nebulous words like 'trademark'. Our defence was awesome. Midfield good. And fwds were goal kickers. We generaly played with a manic intent - especially down back an in stoppages. That adds up to our 19 wins.

But our fwd pressure was rubbish onec the ball hit the ground it was easily cleared with no pressure. We conceded quite a lot of inside 50s. Talking about it and using words like 'trademark' doesnt make it true. Its just marketing and words.
All those fwds I named are rubbish at fwd pressure. Do you honestly think any of Milne, Roo, Kosi, Schneider, Eddy provided quality fwd pressure?

Hysterical that you instruct me to think before posting.

Take the rose tints off the glasses.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You just used the word 'trademark'.. There is no marketing gumpf you wont swallow. When the Kool Aid is served you are the one skulling from the bucket and asking 'please sir can I have some more' like Oliver Twist.

I said opposition half backs had a picnic against us. But typical of you to twist words and misrepresent to attempt to 'score a point'. Our defence was awesome. Midfield good. And fwds were goal kickers. That adds up to 19 wins.

But our fwd pressure was rubbish. Talking about it and using words like 'trademark' doesnt make it true. Its just marketing and words.
All those fwds I named are rubbish at fwd pressure. Do you honestly think any of Milne, Roo, Kosi, Schneider, Eddy provided quality fwd pressure?

Con making it personal with a Kool Aid comment doesn't make me wrong and you right. I choose to suggest I am right with the results and actually watching the games. And as opposition HB usually set up play im suggesting that is complete rubbish or we would not have won 19 in a row. Seriously anyone who says he cant think of an easier forward line to clear it from and that side wins 19 games straight just doesn't understand footy at all. There is nothing wrong with that but maybe you should keep that opinion to yourself so it doesn't sound so foolish. As I said think before posting. It isn't that hard.

This is a pretty raw stat but one backman got one brownlow vote against us in the 22 games and that was a FB in Darren Glass. Not one half back got a vote against us that year. That's another stat that suggests HB didn't dominate us that season. Our forward pressure was second to none that year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I said opposition half backs had a picnic against us. But typical of you to twist words and misrepresent to attempt to 'score a point'. Our defence was awesome. Midfield good. And fwds were goal kickers. That adds up to 19 wins.

But our fwd pressure was rubbish. Talking about it and using words like 'trademark' doesnt make it true. Its just marketing and words.

Con making it personal with a Kool Aid comment doesn't make me wrong and you right. I choose to suggest I am right with the results and actually watching the games. And as opposition HB usually set up play im suggesting that is complete rubbish or we would not have won 19 in a row. Seriously anyone who says he cant think of an easier forward line to clear it from and that side wins 19 games straight just doesn't understand footy at all. There is nothing wrong with that but maybe you should keep that opinion to yourself so it doesn't sound so foolish. As I said think before posting. It isn't that hard.

This is a pretty raw stat but one backman got one brownlow vote against us in the 22 games and that was a FB in Darren Glass. Not one half back got a vote against us that year. That's another stat that suggests HB didn't dominate us that season. Our forward pressure was second to none that year.
Ok. We had one of the greatest sides of all time. Lyon is one of the great coaches of all time.

Schneider Milne Roo, Kosi. Schneider and Eddy provided ultra fwd presure the likes of which have rarely been seen.

Guys like Rhys Shaw, Harry O'Brien, Joel Corey, James Kelly and Jarrod Harbrow always struggled to get a kick against our unrelenting fwd pressure.

I apologise for being so foolish and bow to your superior football knowledge based on your years of success in D grade-sth ammos and having players board at your house.

You are the winner.

Happy now?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ok. We had one of the greatest sides of all time. Lyon is one of the great coaches of all time.

Schneider Milne Roo, Kosi. Schneider and Eddy provided ultra fwd presure the likes of which have rarely been seen.

Guys like Rhys Shaw, Harry O'Brien, Joel Corey, James Kelly and Jarrod Harbrow always struggled to get a kick against our unrelenting fwd pressure.

I apologise for being so foolish and bow to your superior football knowledge based on your years of success in D grade-sth ammos and having players board at your house.

You are the winner.

Happy now?

You really are childish Con This had nothing to do with anything you just mentioned then, it was about your comment that we had one of the easiest forward lines to clear from. And then you say show me some facts because you did. Well you showed nothing but just mentioned footballers names. That isn't facts Con. Its nothing at all. I then give you some sort of fact in that not one HB was considered in the best 3 on the ground against us in 2009 and you come back with this completely childish reply. You know what would make me happy Con? If we pick up a muscly young kid from the country.

jamesmc
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Fully agree

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Game set match then.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You are the winner.

Happy now?

You really are childish Con This had nothing to do with anything you just mentioned then, it was about your comment that we had one of the easiest forward lines to clear from. And then you say show me some facts because you did. Well you showed nothing but just mentioned footballers names. That isn't facts Con. Its nothing at all. I then give you some sort of fact in that not one HB was considered in the best 3 on the ground against us in 2009 and you come back with this completely childish reply. You know what would make me happy Con? If we pick up a muscly young kid from the country.
Only mid fielders get votes in the brownlow

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You are the winner.

Happy now?

Only mid fielders get votes in the brownlow

No HB get them when they dominate? Are you sure? Remember we had the easiest forward to break free of. At least I presented something to suggest his comments are crap. You and Con have presented names and not one other thing. I think I have one up on both of you at the moment. And the fact that we won 19 in a row would also suggest we didn't have the easiest forward line to break free of.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what you have presented but yes ok. Whatever makes you happy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Not sure what you have presented but yes ok. Whatever makes you happy.

I told you. A muscle bound country young kid.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2010 Round 6 v Bulldogs.
Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.
J Harbrow 36 Disposals and 2 Brownlow votes.

So thats a very low scoring game. Classic Lyon shut down. Saints victory. But still a half back was able to run riot.

Heath Shaw touched us up bigtime in GF 1 and 2. How do you think we got smashed in GF2? Or doesnt that one count?

Roo, Schneider, Eddy, Milne, Kosi are not renown for fwd pressure by anyone in the known universe. It doesnt mean Roo and Milne arent awesome players. They just werent that crash hot at fwd pressure. This is a known known. Only the most one-eyed rose tinted Saints would argue it. I don't why you'd even waste time denying it. To protect some weird myth about a' trade-mark' that no-one cares about anymore.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 29 Sep 2014 7:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamesmc
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:2010 Round 6 v Bulldogs.
Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.

So thats a very low scoring game. Classic Lyon shut down. Saints victory. But still a half back was able to run riot.

Roo, Schneider, Eddy, Milne, Kosi are not renown for fwd pressure by anyone in known universe. This is a known known. Only the most one-eyed rose tinted Saints would argue it. I don't why you'd even waste time denying it. To protect a myth?
Shaw Harry and maxwell smashed us every time we played them. Shaw was close to BOG in drawn granny.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.

Roo, Schneider, Eddy, Milne, Kosi are not renown for fwd pressure by anyone in the known universe. It doesnt mean Roo and Milne arent awesome players. They just werent that crash hot at fwd pressure. This is a known known. Only the most one-eyed rose tinted Saints would argue it. I don't why you'd even waste time denying it. To protect some weird myth about a' trade-mark' that no-one cares about anymore.

Well thank you for proving to me you have nothing at all. Did you look at the year? Con you really are a disappointment. I thought you could have come up with something to prove what you said. At least I made some sort of effort. Really poor and disappointing Con.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.

Roo, Schneider, Eddy, Milne, Kosi are not renown for fwd pressure by anyone in known universe. This is a known known. Only the most one-eyed rose tinted Saints would argue it. I don't why you'd even waste time denying it. To protect a myth?
Shaw Harry and maxwell smashed us every time we played them. Shaw was close to BOG in drawn granny.

He was. But what is your point? There are 2 of you and you have yet to come up withy anything at all to make my point incorrect but keep trying. Mentioning players isn't really trying though. Its actually proving you don't have anything.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok plugger we were the best side ever! Legendary side. AFL hall of famers - every single player and the coach.

People will still be talking about how good we were into next century. Hawks 3 flags - boring! Lions 3 flags - Yawn! Cats 3 flags - FLuke!

But Saints runner-ups. Oh yeaaah. Best ever!

Whatever dude!

Can we move on to 2015?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:ok plugger we were the best side ever! Legendary side. AFL hall fo fame.
Whatever dude!
Can we move on to 2015?

You are a child Con. You make a statement that to me is factually incorrect and then you say that. What has what you just said got to do with what I said isn't right. Im sure if I could be bothered I could find posts in 2009 where you totally say we had great forward pressure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we all know the underlying reasons why you want to romanticise 2009 plugger.
So let's just leave it at that. If you want to hold on to that year as a blissful one thats ok.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
Shaw also touched us up something chronic in GF 2.
Schneids and Kosi's famous fwd pressure must have been off that day too I guess.
I'm also not sure why Eddy wasnt picked up by another club given his incredible famous trade-mark fwd pressure.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.

He was. But what is your point? There are 2 of you and you have yet to come up withy anything at all to make my point incorrect but keep trying. Mentioning players isn't really trying though. Its actually proving you don't have anything.
What is your point? All i can see you've said is " our forwards kept it in there a hell of a lot ".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
Final Scores 46-49.
Saints victory.

What is your point? All i can see you've said is " our forwards kept it in there a hell of a lot ".

Well at least I proved not one HBF got a brownlow vote against us and that is very strange when I was told they dominated. Also winning 19 in a row suggests they weren't dominating to much because most attacks start at the HB line. You and Con haven't given me one thing to suggest his initial statement is correct. Im sure if I could find tackles inside 50 that year we would be pretty high up but unfortunately I ant get it. maybe you can to prove me wrong because there is nothing yet to prove me wrong.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 29 Sep 2014 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbm
Club Player

I thought our 2009 team and year was pretty awesome and I enjoyed the ride. Forward pressure was ok but the real competitive edge was clearly Lyon's rolling zone. Not guarding players but guarding space and forcing teams to kick high where we could come across and spoil and then win contested ball and bang it into our tall forwards. Lyon was clearly at the cutting edge and well ahead of all other coaches that year. He gave us a real chance at that flag and in reality was a great tactician and match day coach.