Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player signing #18 Tom Lee - 2016

Rosco wrote:i was also confused about the 2 years.

we're gambling on the second year because we're worried about him being poached after 2015? can't see it really.

hope he makes it, plays 20 games next year and kicks 30+ goals.

sipposs gone then?

Not unless they break another contract that was also a year to long.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think we have plenty of potential delistings/retirements for next year, so keeping Lee for 2 more shouldn't be a big concern.

Who do we have:

Shenton, Markworth, Pierce, Minchington, White, Siposs, Simpkin, Roberton, Gilbert, Armitage, Steven, Ray, Dempster, Fisher, Stanley. 15

I think we'll be able to find enough room for new players at the end of next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I think we have plenty of potential delistings/retirements for next year, so keeping Lee for 2 more shouldn't be a big concern.

Who do we have:

Shenton, Markworth, Pierce, Minchington, White, Siposs, Simpkin, Roberton, Gilbert, Armitage, Steven, Ray, Dempster, Fisher, Stanley. 15

I think we'll be able to find enough room for new players at the end of next year.

I don't think that is the point surely.

Rosco
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:I'm not going to pretend to know why, but I get the impression we have room on our list to keep quite a few guys who we don't know if they will make it or not. We don't exactly have anyone else to take their spots, although I guess we could have kept Jonesy and Jimmy Gwilt for another year or two.
seven off the list so far (hayes, jones, gwilt, TDL, maister, milera, dunnell)
three rookie upgrades to senior list so far (minch, templeton, shenton)
maybe weller upgrade
therefore four spaces on main list (three if weller upgraded), unless we retire / delist / trade more out (schneids, sipposs, anyone else?)

so we can take 3 or 4 new rookies, perhaps saad goes in there
but at the moment we only have 4 spaces on the list to fill from the national draft / trades - which would be picks 1, 21, 38, 57 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-30/f ... raft-order) before frawley compensation

i would want to bring in 4 picks from the draft plus the rookies (7 new faces total)

so not exactly a lot of room on the list

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I don't think that is the point surely.
True, the more important point is that they are backing him to play some good football.

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote:i was also confused about the 2 years.

we're gambling on the second year because we're worried about him being poached after 2015? can't see it really.

hope he makes it, plays 20 games next year and kicks 30+ goals.

sipposs gone then?

Not unless they break another contract that was also a year to long.
i was thinking trade, but i admit no one would be knocking the door down for him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
True, the more important point is that they are backing him to play some good football.

Yep well does that mean they are not backing White?

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

unless white's management pushed for a one year deal only as they think he will break out next year and command an increase in 2016.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

unless white's management pushed for a one year deal only as they think he will break out next year and command an increase in 2016.
If that's the case does that mean Lee's management don't think he will have a breakout year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
He plays 20 games and kicks 40 goals and all of a sudden the $100 000 per year is a bargain and the list management is genius. I think like recruiting contracting is a bit of a gamble. For every Hammill contract there is an example of signing an Alistair Lynch on $200 000 for 10 years or what ever he got. You show faith he feels good next contract extension and looks after the club back. It's not as simple as putting every player on a year by year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

I don't think they are rapt with what White has shown yet, even though his couple of senior games showed some excitement, he is still a long way off and I think needs to pull his finger out re commitment.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:unless white's management pushed for a one year deal only as they think he will break out next year and command an increase in 2016.
I don't think White was offered a longer deal… don't think he is in the position to be knocking back longer contracts just yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
He plays 20 games and kicks 40 goals and all of a sudden the $100 000 per year is a bargain and the list management is genius. I think like recruiting contracting is a bit of a gamble. For every Hammill contract there is an example of signing an Alistair Lynch on $200 000 for 10 years or what ever he got. You show faith he feels good next contract extension and looks after the club back. It's not as simple as putting every player on a year by year.

And what moronic list manager would do that? And the players manager who negotiates the contracts wont give a stuff about us being nice to him if they could get more money elsewhere.

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

If that's the case does that mean Lee's management don't think he will have a breakout year.
i'm clearly no player manager, but i think after lee's run on injuries and the fact that he's been in and out of the system before, i would be more inclined to take a 2nd year if it was offered. but i see what you are getting at. you don't think that is reasonable?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

i'm clearly no player manager, but i think after lee's run on injuries and the fact that he's been in and out of the system before, i would be more inclined to take a 2nd year if it was offered. but i see what you are getting at. you don't think that is reasonable?

No I don't but I hope next year Gringo and others are calling me a fool for not backing him. It will be music to my ears.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:

And what moronic list manager would do that? And the players manager who negotiates the contracts wont give a stuff about us being nice to him if they could get more money elsewhere.
Not every player is a money grubbing weasel. Plenty take less to stay at their club.

Rosco
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Rosco wrote:unless white's management pushed for a one year deal only as they think he will break out next year and command an increase in 2016.
I don't think White was offered a longer deal… don't think he is in the position to be knocking back longer contracts just yet.
maybe not

but in his position, the $$ for a 2 year deal might have been low on average compared to one year (less of a risk for the club), so he's not giving up much. i think a 20 year old of his size and athleticism would be pretty confident of getting another deal with us or someone else at the end of 2015.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee has a great football brain and will a major asset in the coming years. He and Tom Hickey were excellent with the Sandy boys this year!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No I don't but I hope next year Gringo and others are calling me a fool for not backing him. It will be music to my ears.
my question was meant to be - you don't think it's reasonable that his management would push him to accept 2 years?

i'm with you, i don't think the club should have offered 2 years. but your question was whether lee's management isn't backing him by pushing him to accept 2 years. i think it's reasonable that they would accept it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Whether you rate Lee or not, I think you need to have a look at our list at the moment when putting Lee's 2 years in context.

Outside of Riewoldt we only have Stanley, Lee, Bruce & White as potential key forwards. At the very least, Lee will be cover as a forward target in case of injuries.