Rookie draft selections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

amusingname
Club Player

Re: Rookie draft selections

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hawks as usual go looking all over the country and rookie two kids from WA.
Lets be honest - no other club was going to take Saad or Schneider.
Just wasted picks. You can bet your life at least one of the kids rookied today will go on to be a star.

Care to name who the player or players will be?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hawks as usual go looking all over the country and rookie two kids from WA.
This year we have upgraded 3 rookies who came from interstate… did we suddenly get lazy?
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well noone else at 17 other clubs wanted a bar of Saad.
That's not true, he would have been taken by another club.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:
Just wasted picks. You can bet your life at least one of the kids rookied today will go on to be a star.

Care to name who the player or players will be?
No, he has absolutely no idea about any of the players, but knows that our recruiters are lazy.

FQF
SS Life Member

It's funny that the same guys got lazy so suddenly. I guess they were getting pretty sick and tired of keeping an eye on Tasmania to watch Eli, on SA and WA to watch Dunstan and Acres, on NSW to watch Membrey or on Gold Coast to watch Weller.

Lazy hacks...

kp83
Club Player

Perhaps resources come in to it a bit. When your cashed up you can probably afford to have lots of scouts all over the country all year.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Which one guru?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Every year Con has a tantrum that comes back to bite pretty much straight away.

Last year it was Billings is a fail at pick 3 after pre season.

The year before it was Country players are a better bet than City as they're more likely tougher.

This year its the lazy selectors that only watch Oakleigh games.

Love your passion mate, keep it going. Makes for good reading 4 weeks later.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

kp83 wrote:
Perhaps resources come in to it a bit. When your cashed up you can probably afford to have lots of scouts all over the country all year.
Agreed.

The guys at The Oakleigh Chargers tipped us off last year to select Acres and Dunstan.

Also taking Eli as a rookie pick 1 last year was through Oakleigh's connections to Tassie.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Every year Con has a tantrum that comes back to bite pretty much straight away.

:D

I don't think Billings has proven himself better than Bont or Aish or Kim Kardashian.
Way too early to be crowing on that one.

But I have to admit - I do love a good tantrum come draft time :D
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 03 Dec 2014 1:38pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I love you Con.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't say I'm delighted today. Two known prospects who probably won't play in our next premiership in addition to two players with few runs on the board.

Granted, they're speculative picks, but I really was hoping to make some of these rookie picks count in the way we did in recent years. I'd have taken a mighty look at Bampton and Keitel, but given both were overlooked completely, we'll never know. Keenan Ramsey was the other one, a player who very easily could slot into the Crows' back six.

That said, hopefully the two new boys have slipped under the radar elsewhere. Their tapes seems decent, however - and it's clear we prefer to draft players who have firmly established character credentials.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 03 Dec 2014 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote: We also went for Crocker in the 40s.
Yet another whose career was curtailed by the war...?

:oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:How many players did we draft from Oakleigh?

McKenzie & Sinclair?
2 out of all of Australia. Amazing coinicidence they were best available ar our picks.

Plus Billings. We also went for Crocker in the 40s.

Con you really do talk rubbish. McCartin was from? Rooy and Kosi and about 100 others in the last 15 years from many clubs.

Now back to the picks. 2 older guys is plain stupid and no mids. We are making sure of last in 2 years time, not just next year.

HJ_Mitch

thefatdork wrote:Jack Sinclair played with Jack Billings for Kew Comets junior football club.
In that team were also Luke MacDonald (North) and Jay Kennedy-Harris (Dees) and Hugh Beasley who the Lions have just rookied.
My son played with them too - won 5 flags in a row. All really nice kids too.
I remember Jack Sinclair's mum telling me a few years back that his grandfather used to play for the Saints.
Welcome aboard Jack.
Go Saints!
TFD
TFD, Jack Billings, Jack Sinclair, Luke McDonald & Hugh Beasley all played in the same age group at KJFC from Under 9's
Jay Kennedy-Harris didn't come until U14s.
And they only won 3 flags - U11, U12 & U13. Grand Finalists in U10. Just to set the record straight.

I've never seen a community junior football team with more talent. Is there any other single community junior footy team that has produced FIVE AFL players??

" Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." - Mark Twain
HJ_Mitch

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Every year Con has a tantrum that comes back to bite pretty much straight away.

:D

I don't think Billings has proven himself better than Bont or Aish or Kim Kardashian.
Way too early to be crowing on that one.

But I have to admit - I do love a good tantrum come draft time :D
Please read:

http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2014/11/ ... -billings/

" Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." - Mark Twain
Playon
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

McKenzie & Sinclair?
2 out of all of Australia. Amazing coinicidence they were best available ar our picks.

Now back to the picks. 2 older guys is plain stupid and no mids. We are making sure of last in 2 years time, not just next year.
Honestly Plugger who would we of picked in the rookie draft to get us off the bottom of the ladder in 12 months?
I think we've done very well this year, if anything we've gone forward crazy. Seems like we have enough promising forwards to field 2 teams.
But if we're taking the best available so be it. Some wont make it and some may play in other positions.

The other thing is that all the experts are saying for the next 2 years its midfielders, midfielders and midfielders, not to mention FA, it's a lot easier to pick up a gun midfielder than a gun forward and if all goes to plan aren't we supposed to hit FA next year?

Saad isn't that old, and Shneids is there for a reason, do we just want to field juniors?

Not to mention our current midfielders should improve. I think we have some exciting players coming through, lets not write us off just yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

McKenzie & Sinclair?

Honestly Plugger who would we of picked in the rookie draft to get us off the bottom of the ladder in 12 months?
I think we've done very well this year, if anything we've gone forward crazy. Seems like we have enough promising forwards to field 2 teams.
But if we're taking the best available so be it. Some wont make it and some may play in other positions.

The other thing is that all the experts are saying for the next 2 years its midfielders, midfielders and midfielders, not to mention FA, it's a lot easier to pick up a gun midfielder than a gun forward and if all goes to plan aren't we supposed to hit FA next year?

Saad isn't that old, and Shneids is there for a reason, do we just want to field juniors?

Not to mention our current midfielders should improve. I think we have some exciting players coming through, lets not write us off just yet.

Im talking 2 years not next year and im talking all out picks this season not just the rookie draft. I think im happy with the main draft but im certainly not happy with the rookie draft. We didn't need Saad and Schneider. We had committed to Schneider for some strange reason and once we did we had to axe Saad. Overall we have picked players that will take at least 2 years to come good and maybe longer. This means even if we only take mids next year there will be no improvement for 3 or 4 years just due to the fact players have to get used to playing AFL footy. The strategy we have taken is a very risky one IMO. Certainly if the players they have taken make it, its a great risk but talls and small forwards don't always make. Neither do mids but due to the fact many have to play a lot more do make it. The problem I have is I reckon the game is now all about mids unless you are a champion forward or at least very good. I hope we have taken one of those. And I agree we have too many tall forwards. Its still makes me wonder why we gave Lee a 2 year contract.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WOW, why all the negativity?

We went ok last year with our rookie selections.

There looks to be good diversity in these picks and our list now. Yes we still needa couple of gun mids, but overall the list is looking good for the future.

Saad is only 25. Probably top end age wise for us for new picks, but not too much so. He has already shown he can play ok the at AFL level, and the rookie picks are all about uncertain selections anyway.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Austinnn
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Con you really do talk rubbish...
...2 older guys is plain stupid and no mids. We are making sure of last in 2 years time, not just next year.
Ha! Tell us the identity the 4 rookies you would have chosen that would have significantly altered our short term ladder position.

Agree that Schneider is very lucky to still be there, but Saad is underrated on this site. The general consensus is that well load up on mids next draft, so why take ones that aren't as good now?

I'm glad to have Ahmed back frankly, hope he gets the chance to prove a few doubters wrong.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Con you really do talk rubbish...
...2 older guys is plain stupid and no mids. We are making sure of last in 2 years time, not just next year.
Ha! Tell us the identity the 4 rookies you would have chosen that would have significantly altered our short term ladder position.

Agree that Schneider is very lucky to still be there, but Saad is underrated on this site. The general consensus is that well load up on mids next draft, so why take ones that aren't as good now?

I'm glad to have Ahmed back frankly, hope he gets the chance to prove a few doubters wrong.

No idea who I would have chosen but I wouldn't have picked Schneider or Saad. As good as this draft season maybe for us, we only got 6 players who have never played AFL footy before. At that rate is could be the slowest rebuild in history especially considering we lost Lenny and we will lose Joey, Rooy, Chips and Dempster in the next 2 or 3 years. I think 4 of them finished top 5 in the B&F this season. Also im of the opinion mids now win games and we basically picked up none. Its a very risky strategy but like everyone I hope it pays dividends.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Im assuming the coaching staff are planning on pushing Shenton, Minch, Newnes, Murdoch and a few others into the midfield more next year, otherwise a lot will be left to Steven, Armo, Dunstan and Monty.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Also im of the opinion mids now win games and we basically picked up none. Its a very risky strategy but like everyone I hope it pays dividends.
What part of Jack Sinclair getting 33 possessions against Murray Bushrangers and Dandenong Stingrays respectively suggest that he is not a mid??

Most expert draft pundits suggest that Daniel McKenzie with the right development is a star mid in the making - on raw potential he could turn out to be the best mid in the draft

We chose 3 mids with our first 3 picks last year and will probably target more in next years draft.

Whilst I like mids as well you cant have mids playing full forward, centre half forward, centre half back and full back - in this years draft there were a couple of standout players who could fill those positions - we pulled the trigger because supposedly there is a dearth in the next few drafts and get a good one (especially a forward) via trade may cost us an arm and a leg.

That said I dont think we needed Saad however we showed that we are a loyal club and we have sent a good message that we stick by our players - Schneids is purely for experience to help the younger blokes

From the little I've seen and read about Sinclair and Payne we definitely have something to work with

re: Bampton and Kietel - every club overlooked them - which says a lot

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jack Sinclair's grandfather played for the saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Jack Sinclair's grandfather played for the saints
Thats awesome - his family must be over the moon - great connection

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!