Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Changes for next week

BringBackMadDog wrote:From the two games I watched this weekend Billings and Acres have to come in they were a class above in the VFL. They should replace Saad and Eli, we can use Schneids, Lonie and Sinclair as small forwards and they all can rotate through the midfield which gives us more flexibility.
Hickey was great in the VFL so I would bring him in for Longer, I would also bring in White for Shenton, we need another tall option up forward, shenton is an honest footballer but he cost us 3 goals through some terrible disposal and in a tight game this was crucial.
Where is the like button!

1ac46a38
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:Billings in

If Billlings played this week instead of Saad or Templeton, we would have won

Acres in as well

Hickey in

If the coach had taken Saad off the ground instead of Roberton, we still might have won.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

My team this week would be
Dempster Delaney Geary
Savage Fisher Roberton
Acres Dunstan Newnes
Billings Riewoldt Membrey
Lonie White Bruce

Hickey Weller Steven

Montagna, Schneider, Armitage, Sinclair

To the top
SS Life Member

The need to play Bruce as the alternate ruckman does not work (and I view Bruce as a future key defender still doing an apprenticeship forward) - so I would include both Hickey and Longer with Hickey able to add a height option playing forward.

We have quick ground level players to capitalise at ground level and defend the area - and we got glimpses of another 2 yesterday.

The player I would discard and mark his papers "Never to Return" is Geary.

He is like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets the ball - and immediately puts the team under pressure including significantly contributing to a negative match outcome.

He is abysmal.

To play at this level you have to be able to use the pill - and he just can not.

Has not improved over his 100 game career and is not likely to from here - so he goes for young talent who can not only get it but also use it to advantage.

His finishing in the top 10 one year is a reflection on the list - not Geary.

Saad bought nothing - and Templeton was not far behind, so both should be looking on next week.

We can improve our skills once we have Siposs and Billings available because they both have elite skills.

From there much revolves around the re-inclusion of Gilbert (hopefully adds as Fisher has), Webster, Wright and Ross then the progress of Acres, White, McCartin, Goddard and McKenzie where we have high hopes for each.

I thought that Roberton paid the price for "playing on a wing" because we did get badly opened up on the defensive spread so needed some more genuine leg speed to plug the gaps they were easily distributing into.

When we closed their spread down and turned it into a contest we got on top - and don't mention the umpiring which really draws to question the integrity of the AFL - along with all the other disasters it pontificates on and defends as it does.

With Demitriou going there was a chance to change the culture - but that has unfortunately been missed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The need to play Bruce as the alternate ruckman does not work (and I view Bruce as a future key defender still doing an apprenticeship forward) - so I would include both Hickey and Longer with Hickey able to add a height option playing forward.

We have quick ground level players to capitalise at ground level and defend the area - and we got glimpses of another 2 yesterday.

He is like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets the ball - and immediately puts the team under pressure including significantly contributing to a negative match outcome.

He is abysmal.

To play at this level you have to be able to use the pill - and he just can not.

Has not improved over his 100 game career and is not likely to from here - so he goes for young talent who can not only get it but also use it to advantage.

Saad bought nothing - and Templeton was not far behind, so both should be looking on next week.

We can improve our skills once we have Siposs and Billings available because they both have elite skills.

From there much revolves around the re-inclusion of Gilbert (hopefully adds as Fisher has), Webster, Wright and Ross then the progress of Acres, White, McCartin, Goddard and McKenzie where we have high hopes for each.

I thought that Roberton paid the price for "playing on a wing" because we did get badly opened up on the defensive spread so needed some more genuine leg speed to plug the gaps they were easily distributing into.

When we closed their spread down and turned it into a contest we got on top - and don't mention the umpiring which really draws to question the integrity of the AFL - along with all the other disasters it pontificates on and defends as it does.

With Demitriou going there was a chance to change the culture - but that has unfortunately been missed.

I didn't see an issue with Bruce in the ruck but I would see an issue with either Hickey or Longer playing mainly as forwards. It just wont work as neither are good enough in the air or on the ground. I agree Geary's skills aren't good but he isn't a hope of being dropped. Eli and Saad on the other hand should be omitted. Cant see Siposs having any real say in the Saints year as he wont be back until later in the year and never looks fit at the best of times. Gilbert will be important to us but its going to be long year. We need to get games into young guys back also need the older guys to keep us competitive.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We really lacked a extra tall and had a surplus of smalls. I think we will try an extra ruck and use Hickey as a forward for a lot of the game.

Acres, Billings and McKenzie all to come in.

In: acres, billings, McKenzie and hickey
Out: saad, Templeton, Shenton and Roberton

FQF
SS Life Member

Is it realistic that Mckenzie will be picked? Didn't play a single preseason.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Is it realistic that Mckenzie will be picked? Didn't play a single preseason.
Probably not but he was one of the best for Sandy. My picks are my 'want' not what I think will happen.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

To the top wrote:The need to play Bruce as the alternate ruckman does not work (and I view Bruce as a future key defender still doing an apprenticeship forward) - so I would include both Hickey and Longer with Hickey able to add a height option playing forward.

He is abysmal.

Your comments on Geary are just garbage, he was the 3rd ranked player on the ground according to the stats his disposal efficiency was 79%. He runs himself ragged and is as brave as anyone. Geary is by no means a superstar but he is a work horse that all teams need
Also Sipposs' disposal is far from elite, he slams everything on to his boot and tries to kick it 60 metres, shanks a lot of them and the ones he does get right generally go to no one. He is also lazy, doesn't work hard enough and right at the moment would be in the bottom 5 players on our list

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:My team this week would be
Dempster Delaney Geary
Savage Fisher Roberton
Acres Dunstan Newnes
Lonie White Bruce

Hickey Weller Steven

We think alike. I think this team looks much better balanced... witha bit more skill. Hicket does more around the ground than Longer at present.

I thought that Shenton had an ordinary set of pre-season games. Acres how ever they may want to play into form.

Not sure the coaches would make 4 changes though, and they probably will keep Longer if the bring Hickey back.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 07 Apr 2015 12:25am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:My team this week would be
Dempster Delaney Geary
Savage Fisher Roberton
Acres Dunstan Newnes
Lonie White Bruce

Hickey Weller Steven

like it if all are fit

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont care about the rankings. The sooner Geary cant make our best 22 - the better we will be.
He wouldn't get a game in a top 4 side.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont care about the rankings. The sooner Geary cant make our best 22 - the better we will be.
He wouldn't get a game in a top 4 side.
what were cats last year?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im over the whole geary thing as he isnt going to get dropped to the twos unless he gets absolutely pantsed for two weeks running or gets injured
and so he shouldnt

imo
:twisted:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Defensive forwards.

grrrr

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Defensive forwards.

grrrr
I thought Membrey's tackling was a feature.
But we needed a few goals from Saad . 78 points wont win you many games of footy on a dry day.

Ajantis
Club Player

Spencer White has to be given more opportunities this year - surely !

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lee or White over Saad or Eli would have helped our structure IMO. Shelton is not really getting pushed out because he's playing Gwilts role. Webster is probably the next best option but is extremely inexperienced. Playing him there at this stage could kill his confidence. Roberton could do it I guess too but he's better getting some run out on the wing than he was as a deep defender.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Geary is a very important player. Yes, his kicking inconsistent, as is Sam Gilbert's, Luke Delaney's, Sean Dempster's, Luke Dunstan's, Farren Ray's, Josh Saunder's etc, etc.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Can't complain about the effort. Game plan is sound. We just lack a bit of polish and at times decision making. Expect two changes, Roo is fine and Billy will keep his place.
Mirroring my thoughts on the two changes.

I'm wanting to see Billings and Acres in for Saad and Shenton.

I'd also like to see Sinclair start on the field and Eli/Schneids sub.

I'd like to see Hickey dominate for Sandy at the weekend, whilst Longer was smashed on the spread on the weekend, I did see improvement in his game and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

If Webster was fit and available he's clearly best 22 but I doubt he is fit.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Billings and Acres should get into the seniors, but jeez, I want to see a bit better defensive work from the midfield and around the packs- I reckon old granny could run and spread without any fear of a Saint player putting pressure on.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:From the two games I watched this weekend Billings and Acres have to come in they were a class above in the VFL. They should replace Saad and Eli, we can use Schneids, Lonie and Sinclair as small forwards and they all can rotate through the midfield which gives us more flexibility.
Hickey was great in the VFL so I would bring him in for Longer, I would also bring in White for Shenton, we need another tall option up forward, shenton is an honest footballer but he cost us 3 goals through some terrible disposal and in a tight game this was crucial.
Where is the like button!
dunno
we've been askign for a decent update like the bigfooty site so we can like etc etc
but it seems the mods and admin cannot get thru to the donkey who actually 'owns the name saintsational'
so the site stays stale, like a year old yoyo biscuit

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Would love a like button...

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'd like a love button.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I'd like a love button.
Like :D