changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: changes for next week

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Shents holds his spot until Gilbo and Webster are ready to go.

In: White, Webster, Hickey
Out: Paddy, Lonie, Saad

Go taller but White as the Sub and Wright to start.
What has White done to deserve a game?

Razor
Club Player

Spencer White is the most over rated player on our list. Got no idea what people see in him. He is a worse verison of Stanley.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Shents holds his spot until Gilbo and Webster are ready to go.

What had Saad, Eli and Sinclair done prior to Rd 1? What had Paddy done apart from being pick 1?
Im not saying gift him a game - has he got his fitness and defensive pressure up to standard? I have no idea.
But right here right now he stands on 2 games. 4 goals. Is he ready for AFL? Probably not.But a lot of our guys arent ready. When you are bottom you sometimes play guys who arent ready. Thats how it is.
Now I think we will play Hickey and not Spencer this week - but I dont know why people want to bag a bloke who is 20yo and played 2 games. Stanley was given 50 games and in about 40 of them he didnt touch the ball.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
LTN16 wrote:

What had Saad, Eli and Sinclair done prior to Rd 1? What had Paddy done apart from being pick 1?
Im not saying gift him a game - has he got his fitness and defensive pressure up to standard? I have no idea.
But right here right now he stands on 2 games. 4 goals. Is he ready for AFL? Probably not.But a lot of our guys arent ready. When you are bottom you sometimes play guys who arent ready. Thats how it is.
Now I think we will play Hickey and not Spencer this week - but I dont know why people want to bag a bloke who is 20yo and played 2 games. Stanley was given 50 games and in about 40 of them he didnt touch the ball.
Saad, Eli, Sinclair and McCartin all played nab cup unlike Spencer. Apart from being pick 1 Paddy kicked 4 goals in the VFL last week, could have kicked 6 or 7 and got 2nd best. But we should've played Spencer who showed nothing before going off with an ankle injury in the 1st quarter. Your saying not to gift him a game but that's exactly what we would be doing if we played him this week :roll:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:disagree
think he holds his end up and i reckon he will keep his spot if he keeps giving the efforts he is giving
I agree.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well McCartin is playing so that will be the talls. Its whether they play Hickey or Longer and maybe Saunders for Lonie. I would play both Hickey and Saunders.

FQF
SS Life Member

Some players, for whatever unscientific reason, seem to be play better at AFL level than VFL level.

Spencer was given games last year despite not being in any sort of outstanding VFL form. And he came in his debut game and kicked 3 goals - he rarely kicks 3 goals at VFL level. That would suggest that his game might be better suited to the AFL standard and style of play and then nature of AFL grounds. It's far from concrete, but it would indicate that we might not need to wait before Spencer bangs the door down kicking bags in the VFL. His development (which arguably has tracked slowly) could be fast tracked playing in the big league.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Running around in the VFL doesn't really tell you much about what a player might do in the AFL seniors- all you see is potential at best. White kicked goals and looked every bit a promising forward in his limited senior appearances last season, so should really be playing in the seniors if fit. Paddy unfortunately came in when the team played a shocking game which wasn't his doing, so needs another game in the seniors at least. Minchington deserves a run too. Not sure if there's other injury concerns, there is a whisper, but not sure who. So for me, ins would be Hickey, Minchington, White with Goddard and Saunders as emergencies and outs probably from those who let their opponents run wild last week- a few to choose from there??

FQF
SS Life Member

I think Membrey will be given the high half forward role that Roo was playing. Of all our forwards, he probably has the endurance and marking ability to play that link up role that we were missing against Collingwood. That would leave Paddy and Bruce in the forward line. Playing White there too, who is not a predominantly marking type forward, might work well. It would be especially important when Bruce rucks.

I think it would make a dynamic forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I think Membrey will be given the high half forward role that Roo was playing. Of all our forwards, he probably has the endurance and marking ability to play that link up role that we were missing against Collingwood. That would leave Paddy and Bruce in the forward line. Playing White there too, who is not a predominantly marking type forward, might work well. It would be especially important when Bruce rucks.

To be honest I think it just gives us another ordinary player with no defensive skills. We couldn't play 4 talls surely.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:I think Membrey will be given the high half forward role that Roo was playing. Of all our forwards, he probably has the endurance and marking ability to play that link up role that we were missing against Collingwood. That would leave Paddy and Bruce in the forward line. Playing White there too, who is not a predominantly marking type forward, might work well. It would be especially important when Bruce rucks.

To be honest I think it just gives us another ordinary player with no defensive skills. We couldn't play 4 talls surely.
White wasn't ordinary when he came in last year. Agreed about his defensive skills. I think that is the main thing keeping him out of the side at the moment. (Although it seems like they are also trying to train him to impose his will on the game rather than wait for things to happen).

Bruce is good defensively though and McCartin isn't bad it seems.

Anyway, it won't happen but if all those guys hit their straps it would be very exciting.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Outs: Saad & Lonie
Ins: Hickey & Minchington

We need another tall marking option forward and Minchington deserves his chance, plus he can go through the midfield. If Dunstan has hamstring issues then Curren to replace him.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:Outs: Saad & Lonie
Ins: Hickey & Minchington

We need another tall marking option forward and Minchington deserves his chance, plus he can go through the midfield. If Dunstan has hamstring issues then Curren to replace him.
Dunstan trained well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
LTN16 wrote:

Saad, Eli, Sinclair and McCartin all played nab cup unlike Spencer. Apart from being pick 1 Paddy kicked 4 goals in the VFL last week, could have kicked 6 or 7 and got 2nd best. But we should've played Spencer who showed nothing before going off with an ankle injury in the 1st quarter. Your saying not to gift him a game but that's exactly what we would be doing if we played him this week :roll:
Eli and Saad barely touched the ball between them in nab cup.
Did I say we should have played Spencer? No I didn't cos he was injured
I said with Roo out then Spencer is equally as entitled to a game as Paddy (in reality both arent ready).
Whats with the eye roll - are you a 14yo girl embarrassed by her dad?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

"Dynamic" because the opposition defenders would "dynamically" get 30+ touches each due to lack of forward pressure?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
LTN16 wrote:

Eli and Saad barely touched the ball between them in nab cup.
Did I say we should have played Spencer? No I didn't cos he was injured
I said with Roo out then Spencer is equally as entitled to a game as Paddy (in reality both arent ready).
Whats with the eye roll - are you a 14yo girl embarrassed by her dad?
I'm embarrassed for you of how little you know about football

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

@AFL_PKeane: StK/Carl squads named:
Curren, Hickey, Templeton, Minchington in for Weller.
Buckley, Whiley, Jaksch, Boekhorst, Dick in for Yarran, Byrne.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:No Roo or Joey. One other in doubt, but sorry no names.
Unfortunately Mav wasn't the one. He did his calf towards the end of the session.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
tony74 wrote:No Roo or Joey. One other in doubt, but sorry no names.
Unfortunately Mav wasn't the one. He did his calf towards the end of the session.
Calf Injuries have us feeling the pinch. Time to bring in the Minch.