Is Alan Richardson doing a good job?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Alan Richardson doing a good job?

gringo wrote:Brenton Sanderson was on SEN and he said that a coaches role is much less hands on and almost a political role. He said it's a lot about delegating tasks to the other coaches about what to do rather than a direct coach on players thing. He said he didn't spend enough time doing the sponsor lunches and the little bits that go towards being a coach. He was trying to be an old school coach. The difference is with the assistants they have a hands on teaching role. I think the general public still have an idea of how it used to be and probably like having a focal point for their frustrations.
Yeah I'm hearing because of the huge increase in staff and resources the head coach is becoming much more like the Manager at soccer clubs managing things at a pretty high level and doing a lot of delegating. They still drive direction and approach for the club and how they want the team to play but not necessarily the day to day where the rubber hits the road. You've got to be able to take in a lot of information from difference sources and coordinate a lot of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to keep a behemoth like an AFL club on track.

I think Richo is doing a lot of the dirty work during this rebuild and its hard to see a linear improvement. ITs like a plane that has to have lots of parts replaced and new parts bedded in but can't get off the ground because things keep breaking or don't work or are too raw. Then suddenly when enough pieces are together and working cohesively, like at Port, it can take off and everyone is amazed because it seems to happen overnight. I think we've got two more years after this one before we will get lift off and can genuinely start dogfighting in the air. In the meantime we just keep firing our anti-aircraft weapons - especially at the bombers!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
gringo wrote:Brenton Sanderson was on SEN and he said that a coaches role is much less hands on and almost a political role. He said it's a lot about delegating tasks to the other coaches about what to do rather than a direct coach on players thing. He said he didn't spend enough time doing the sponsor lunches and the little bits that go towards being a coach. He was trying to be an old school coach. The difference is with the assistants they have a hands on teaching role. I think the general public still have an idea of how it used to be and probably like having a focal point for their frustrations.
Yeah I'm hearing because of the huge increase in staff and resources the head coach is becoming much more like the Manager at soccer clubs managing things at a pretty high level and doing a lot of delegating. They still drive direction and approach for the club and how they want the team to play but not necessarily the day to day where the rubber hits the road. You've got to be able to take in a lot of information from difference sources and coordinate a lot of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to keep a behemoth like an AFL club on track.

I think Richo is doing a lot of the dirty work during this rebuild and its hard to see a linear improvement. ITs like a plane that has to have lots of parts replaced and new parts bedded in but can't get off the ground because things keep breaking or don't work or are too raw. Then suddenly when enough pieces are together and working cohesively, like at Port, it can take off and everyone is amazed because it seems to happen overnight. I think we've got two more years after this one before we will get lift off and can genuinely start dogfighting in the air. In the meantime we just keep firing our anti-aircraft weapons - especially at the bombers!
Yeah I think you a right. A couple of players said they really got his game plan now. Last year he had about a day to make it up on the hop. I'm sure he sets game plans and a direction for a style of play.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Yeah I think you a right. A couple of players said they really got his game plan now. Last year he had about a day to make it up on the hop. I'm sure he sets game plans and a direction for a style of play.
Absolutely 100% correct. The game plans are well known and drilled by the players. That's why when Roo went down in the warm up there was no like for like ( impossible with Roo at short notice ) and why our forward line and Paddy looked so dysfunctional Gameplan looked fine in the first two rounds and will look good on Saturday. Now if we are good enough to win is another story.

Austinnn
Club Player

Tony, you're saying that on a wet night there's no contingency plan for the injury one of our oldest and most integral players with a chequered injury history? I'd like to know more about the injury Roo sustained, Richo said in the post game conf that it it wasn't necessarily an aggravation of his recent calf injry. Has that been confirmed?

I don't mind that Paddy played personally, but I don't think it was a particularly smart way to deal with Riewoldt's late withdrawal. Though it was a good way to get a cheap game into the kid with little fanfare or pressure, it was a real sink or swim moment, and tells Tom Lee and other tall forwards "Nah, we don't trust you, we'd rather send our greenhorn in"

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Tony, you're saying that on a wet night there's no contingency plan for the injury one of our oldest and most integral players with a chequered injury history? I'd like to know more about the injury Roo sustained, Richo said in the post game conf that it it wasn't necessarily an aggravation of his recent calf injry. Has that been confirmed?

I don't mind that Paddy played personally, but I don't think it was a particularly smart way to deal with Riewoldt's late withdrawal. Though it was a good way to get a cheap game into the kid with little fanfare or pressure, it was a real sink or swim moment, and tells Tom Lee and other tall forwards "Nah, we don't trust you, we'd rather send our greenhorn in"

Has Rooy really had a chequered injury history? I would say no not at all and I don't think any club can plan for an injury in the last hour. It would be impossible.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Absolutely 100% correct. The game plans are well known and drilled by the players. That's why when Roo went down in the warm up there was no like for like ( impossible with Roo at short notice ) and why our forward line and Paddy looked so dysfunctional Gameplan looked fine in the first two rounds and will look good on Saturday. Now if we are good enough to win is another story.
tony74, How does that work because we haven't changed the side this week with a like for like for Rooey - it is the same forward line as last week?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
tony74 wrote: Absolutely 100% correct. The game plans are well known and drilled by the players. That's why when Roo went down in the warm up there was no like for like ( impossible with Roo at short notice ) and why our forward line and Paddy looked so dysfunctional Gameplan looked fine in the first two rounds and will look good on Saturday. Now if we are good enough to win is another story.
tony74, How does that work because we haven't changed the side this week with a like for like for Rooey - it is the same forward line as last week?
Maybe we changed the plan?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Tony, you're saying that on a wet night there's no contingency plan for the injury one of our oldest and most integral players with a chequered injury history? I'd like to know more about the injury Roo sustained, Richo said in the post game conf that it it wasn't necessarily an aggravation of his recent calf injry. Has that been confirmed?

Has Rooy really had a chequered injury history? I would say no not at all and I don't think any club can plan for an injury in the last hour. It would be impossible.
Beat me to it.

Roo has been remarkably resilient over the years. Waay back in 2010 he obviously tore the hamstring, but I recon he's played virtually every game since 08 till now, bar that injury. Someone will be able to put the stats up I'm sure.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Beat me to it.

Roo has been remarkably resilient over the years. Waay back in 2010 he obviously tore the hamstring, but I recon he's played virtually every game since 08 till now, bar that injury. Someone will be able to put the stats up I'm sure.

Missed 6 games in 6 years not counting 2010 and 2015. Missed another 10 in those 2 years so even counting them has missed 16 games in 7 years and 3 games.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:
Slight change as you can't replace Roo. you have to realise this ground is 20m shorter than last weeks MCG. So a few things change.

SMS
Club Player

He has been fantastic.

Only question is come 2018 will he be the coach to win us flags.

I think he will. Remember he is learning too.
Imagine 5 years with these boys watching and teaching them grow. The respect and love will be huge.

I think hes the man for he job. He has clear cut expectations.

I love the forward pressure we have gotten back. Not always there but thats the young team for ya.

spert
Saintsational Legend

He did a good job preparing the side for a belting last Friday- not sure how you coach a team to be flat as a pancake and totally uncompetitive. A 70 odd point thrashing shows some kind of coaching deficiencies, it's not all about players, and definately more than just having Roo out. Let's hope he gets it right this weekend.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:He did a good job preparing the side for a belting last Friday- not sure how you coach a team to be flat as a pancake and totally uncompetitive. A 70 odd point thrashing shows some kind of coaching deficiencies, it's not all about players, and definately more than just having Roo out. Let's hope he gets it right this weekend.
It's also been implied that quite a few players had gastro.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:He did a good job preparing the side for a belting last Friday- not sure how you coach a team to be flat as a pancake and totally uncompetitive. A 70 odd point thrashing shows some kind of coaching deficiencies, it's not all about players, and definately more than just having Roo out. Let's hope he gets it right this weekend.

So when you kick the first 3 and lead at quarter time you are flat as a pancake. Doesn't make sense. Seems they were up for the start of the game. Matter of fact im sure. I think you bias against AR is showing more and more. Look I have no idea if AR can coach yet but I think we need to realise how poor this side is ability wise compared to SW last year. We certainly have better younger players but most are no where near ready yet.

Walter

I was a big fan of Richo's, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane. The last qtr today was reminiscent of the disorganized scramble we'd serve up in Watters' last year. I hope there's a little bit of heat starting to be applied to him and all of the coaching staff. I understand we're young etc etc....but there looked to be no structure whatsoever.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seems to have favourites at the the section table.
Wont give some guys any opportunities but persists with his favourites.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:We're into his second season, I think by now it's at least fair to say that we're beginning to see the direction he's wanting to take us in... what do people think?

Strengths?
Weaknesses?
Game plan?
Is he doing a good job building the team?

Do we think he'll be around in 3 years?
to early for threads like this, save them for end of next year

Fortius Quo Fidelius
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Walter wrote:I was a big fan of Richo's, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane. The last qtr today was reminiscent of the disorganized scramble we'd serve up in Watters' last year. I hope there's a little bit of heat starting to be applied to him and all of the coaching staff. I understand we're young etc etc....but there looked to be no structure whatsoever.
Plays are young and arent strong enough. The game plan is good when they execute. 1st quarter and a half was very good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Subbing off McCartin was a game changer. Our structure went out the window. Bruce and Membrey always had 2-1, 3-1 against them. Very poor coaching move, unless Paddy was injured.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Subbing off McCartin was a game changer. Our structure went out the window. Bruce and Membrey always had 2-1, 3-1 against them. Very poor coaching move, unless Paddy was injured.
OM i agree i was shocked abit by that move. maybe it was to keep Paddy's confidence healthy.
Last edited by ShanghaiSaint on Sat 25 Apr 2015 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
noob
Club Player

Seemed to me he was watching from a far..Never seemed to show any emotion.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Seemed to me he was watching from a far..Never seemed to show any emotion.
Mick destroyed him today.

I can't recall Richo making a positive move. Steven was well beaten and should've been plonked in the forward 50. We needed to try something different in the middle. Why not whack Lonie in for a few centre bounces? He was easily our cleanest player.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

His coaching today was poor - couldnt stop the rot and had no moves

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I'd much rather he be calm and patient than belting the phone across the coaches box. We've got a long journey to make from the bottom of the ladder and losing the plot every week won't help.
I like him. Way too early to panic.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hickey in the 2nds. White in the 2nds. Minch in the 2nds.
Comes out in the media and makes a virtue of not playing Paddy until hes ready - but then contradicts himself by playing Paddy when hes not ready.
Persists with some kind of weird man love with Saad week in week out - despite ongoing poor performance.