Changes v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Bombers

Two weeks ago we had our youngest team in 13 years. This week's team is a full quarter of a year younger than that. Can't say he isn't giving the kids a run!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Paddy McCartin, Cameron Shenton, Tom Curren, Nathan Wright and Ahmed Saad have all been omitted, with McCartin, Shenton and Curren named as emergencies

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-0 ... ts-the-nod

Nothing personal but I'm glad Shenton is out. WE can't afford to play him as well as Geary, Dempster and Delaney. I don't know if its cause or effect, but playing a guy we delisted last year in four out of the first five games says everything about where we are a club. We have a long way to go.
Are you talking about Schneider or Shenton? I'm confused.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Paddy McCartin, Cameron Shenton, Tom Curren, Nathan Wright and Ahmed Saad have all been omitted, with McCartin, Shenton and Curren named as emergencies

Nothing personal but I'm glad Shenton is out. WE can't afford to play him as well as Geary, Dempster and Delaney. I don't know if its cause or effect, but playing a guy we delisted last year in four out of the first five games says everything about where we are a club. We have a long way to go.
Schneider. AT least its balanced better now with more run and good kicking in the team.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Schneider. AT least its balanced better now with more run and good kicking in the team.

Not if they don't touch the ball. I hope they are going to smash it but they look a bit like they have chucked in the towel with going all out youth.

NextYear

Unless I've got my sums wrong, exactly half of these weekends 22 are from the last two years draft/ trading periods.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

NextYear wrote:Unless I've got my sums wrong, exactly half of these weekends 22 are from the last two years draft/ trading periods.
Over half. 12/22. Pretty amazing. Good spot.

B: Geary Delaney Dempster

HB: Newnes Fisher Savage

C: Roberton Armitage Sinclair

HF: Billings Bruce Dunstan

F: Lonie Membrey McKenzie

FOLL: Longer Weller Steven

I/C: Hickey, Acres, Schneider, Webster

Freebird
Club Player

Hickey being in the side strengthens the Sandy team

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I guess we can tone down the pathetic moaning about richo not making any changes and not picking enough youth

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

5 of the 22 have played less than 10 games.

14 of the 22 have played less than 53 games.

Only 5 of the 22 have played more than 100 games (and two of those are Geary on 104 and Armo on 111).

It's really ridiculous.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:5 of the 22 have played less than 10 games.

Only 5 of the 22 have played more than 100 games (and two of those are Geary on 104 and Armo on 111).

It's really ridiculous.
Massive shellacking on the cards then?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Hickey being in the side strengthens the Sandy team
Harsh but I agree in that playing 3 Ruckmen is crazy.

Austinnn
Club Player

When you think that this is even without all of them, that puts a lot into perspective.
Last edited by Austinnn on Fri 01 May 2015 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

It's really ridiculous.
So our 'core-agers' are Savage, Roberton, Armo, Geary, Newnes, Weller, Hickey, Delaney, Steven (9).

Then we have 10 kids and 3 veterans.

So we need big games from those 9 to be competitive.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Schneider, Fisher & Dempster aren't really our ideal 3 vets hey?

I hope some kids rise to the occasion and crack in, I don't think I can handle watching a huge pounding form those filthy lying drug cheats - FLDC's

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

It's really ridiculous.
So our 'core-agers' are Savage, Roberton, Armo, Geary, Newnes, Weller, Hickey, Delaney, Steven (9).

Then we have 10 kids and 3 veterans.

So we need big games from those 9 to be competitive.
That's sums up our issues - all those 9 - our core - struggle to use the ball effectively (I'll except Hickey cos he's a ruck and can slot a goal). Modern footy is all about good ball usage otherwise you just undo all your hard work with efforts, tackles, pressure, bravery, spoils, marking etc. It the generation under them that look the most likely to use the ball with some incisiveness and string together some possession. They will screw up for schizzle but I'd rather we keep investing in them

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Savage & Newnes and Arno are pretty good users I reckon bluthy, but you're right - too many lacking genuine skill right now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I guess we can tone down the pathetic moaning about richo not making any changes and not picking enough youth
Not a chance in hell. :D

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Savage & Newnes and Arno are pretty good users I reckon bluthy, but you're right - too many lacking genuine skill right now.
Savage I find pretty erractic. He seems to run on confidence - when its up he can really take the game on and kick pretty well. But he can also look quite lost and not sure what to do with the footy. I think Newnes has a really awkward kicking style and I don't think his vision or execution is good. Armo and Steven frustrate me because they have the tools to be extremely good players but their kicking lets the down in my eyes and stops them being the really damaging players they could be. Our trouble is the dudes who get a lot of the footy - armo, steven, newnes, geary - don't do a lot of damage with it compared to other teams prime ball getters. When Billings, Dunstan and Acres are chalking up big possession numbers I think you'll see a corresponding increase in how good a team we are.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pantsed

just fly the flag
gimmie some hard at the ball footy and get in bjs face big time

all i ask

in saying that didnt we beat them last year?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
dragit wrote:Savage & Newnes and Arno are pretty good users I reckon bluthy, but you're right - too many lacking genuine skill right now.
Savage I find pretty erractic. He seems to run on confidence - when its up he can really take the game on and kick pretty well. But he can also look quite lost and not sure what to do with the footy. I think Newnes has a really awkward kicking style and I don't think his vision or execution is good. Armo and Steven frustrate me because they have the tools to be extremely good players but their kicking lets the down in my eyes and stops them being the really damaging players they could be. Our trouble is the dudes who get a lot of the footy - armo, steven, newnes, geary - don't do a lot of damage with it compared to other teams prime ball getters. When Billings, Dunstan and Acres are chalking up big possession numbers I think you'll see a corresponding increase in how good a team we are.

I think it's bizarre we count Newnes as a senior player in his third year. He is a nice kick but like most will crack under pressure. I know myself kicking on the move with someone closing in makes the best kicks in the team look horrible.

I find it worrying that there seems to be an unwillingness from Richo to play anyone who came in the Watters era. Are they all that bad or is it deliberate sabotage of those careers.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well if its delib to prove a point then he needs to go
but id be pretty sure its not delib
no one would do that surely

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

[quote="gringo"

I think it's bizarre we count Newnes as a senior player in his third year. He is a nice kick but like most will crack under pressure. I know myself kicking on the move with someone closing in makes the best kicks in the team look horrible.

I find it worrying that there seems to be an unwillingness from Richo to play anyone who came in the Watters era. Are they all that bad or is it deliberate sabotage of those careers.[/quote]

Yeah but that's what AFL is - kicking under pressure. And its because Newnes is getting around the better and getting his hands on it that you start to evaluate his distribution a bit more. I need to see improvement with disposal effectiveness before I'm ready to put Newnes in our premiership team.

With every coach there will always be that element of favouring players who come in under his reign. Coaches have big say in recruiting so its natural they want to play the players they have recently recruited. There is also the "blank slate" element with new players who Richo will feel he will play his way without needing re-education. And its also about stamping their authority on the club. But if Lee or Saunders or whoever train the house down and tear it up in the ressies then they'll get a guerrnsey. I just think our recruiting before Richo didn't put a high priority on good disposal skills and Richo sees the future is the those players who can use the ball well. Minch, Saunders, Curren, Shenton etc don't have great disposal.

Freebird
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:AR thank you for swinging to the axe. Sends a message. Doesn't mean we are any closer to beating the drug cheats - but that's not the point.

Really like the ins bar Hickey - does this mean Billy will take Paddy's spot?
agree with this - Hickey overrated??

FQF
SS Life Member

NO CHANGE

ACRES SUB