Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

FQF wrote:Still no one has answered what he is actually doing right now?? Not injured and not playing. Are there are issues?

I would be certain there is some issues.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Still no one has answered what he is actually doing right now?? Not injured and not playing. Are there are issues?
Don't think anyone really knows to be honest :?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Didnt realise Spencer is still only 20, he will get another year for sure given he's a big forward and development time yada yada yada.

Markworth is done I think, not sure what his chances are of playing seniors this year are but if he doesnt get a game he would be 23-24 next season playing his first game. It's a pretty big risk of a spot on the senior list on an unproven talent. Id assume they would want him midfield, but we have already started building a midfield, most likely adding another 1 or 2 in the coming draft then a possible FA later. He will slide further down the ranks.

I feel sorry for Markworth for sure but can we have a 27year old as a senior who has played around 50games when we start moving up the ladder and that's assuming he becomes a semi-regular. Unless he sets the world on fire and becomes a revelation I can't see it. Good luck to him though.
Andrew Thompson

FQF
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Didnt realise Spencer is still only 20, he will get another year for sure given he's a big forward and development time yada yada yada.

Markworth is done I think, not sure what his chances are of playing seniors this year are but if he doesnt get a game he would be 23-24 next season playing his first game. It's a pretty big risk of a spot on the senior list on an unproven talent. Id assume they would want him midfield, but we have already started building a midfield, most likely adding another 1 or 2 in the coming draft then a possible FA later. He will slide further down the ranks.

I feel sorry for Markworth for sure but can we have a 27year old as a senior who has played around 50games when we start moving up the ladder and that's assuming he becomes a semi-regular. Unless he sets the world on fire and becomes a revelation I can't see it. Good luck to him though.
Andrew Thompson
Podsiadly, Barlow etc etc

He doesn't need to set the world on fire in his debut. He needs to show something and then show improvement.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:
saynta wrote:

Andrew Thompson
Podsiadly, Barlow etc etc

He doesn't need to set the world on fire in his debut. He needs to show something and then show improvement.
I agree that it can happen but a handful of players out of 500players in the league isn't spectacular odds. My main point was that with younger players coming in the future drafts, the odds are our next 1st rounder is going to put him in a tougher position, same with a FA recuit. He needs to get his foot in now because I think our next 18 year old top10 pick or superstar pickup will probably have priority unless we pick a dud.

I hope he does come good, our depth will be fantastic if he does. but time isn't on his side.

Austinnn
Club Player

Let's just see what Markworth can do with a clear run before we map out his future.

Spencer is a different story, he needs to find a way of taking advantage of his opportunities. It's clear that Richo isn't going to gift him a game.

I'd love him to make it. I want all the Saints players to make it. I hate dropping them, hate delisting them, hate hearing them referred to as "Spuds", and think they've all got potential to be good.

Spencer could go the way of Cayden Beetham if he's not careful. I really hope that he doesn't let this opportunity pass. But it's a tough gig when you don't have the determination of a champion. Someone down at Seaford needs to give him the number of Dr Steve Peters, or at least buy him one of his books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Pete ... iatrist%29

When I asked Tony74 a little while back, he seemed to think it was a combination of factors including application. To not even make the Devs is weird, unless there's an injury or he's transgressed some team rule.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Will continue his afl career....at another club. Gone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Let's just see what Markworth can do with a clear run before we map out his future.

Spencer is a different story, he needs to find a way of taking advantage of his opportunities. It's clear that Richo isn't going to gift him a game.

I'd love him to make it. I want all the Saints players to make it. I hate dropping them, hate delisting them, hate hearing them referred to as "Spuds", and think they've all got potential to be good.

Spencer could go the way of Cayden Beetham if he's not careful. I really hope that he doesn't let this opportunity pass. But it's a tough gig when you don't have the determination of a champion. Someone down at Seaford needs to give him the number of Dr Steve Peters, or at least buy him one of his books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Pete ... iatrist%29

When I asked Tony74 a little while back, he seemed to think it was a combination of factors including application. To not even make the Devs is weird, unless there's an injury or he's transgressed some team rule.
Everyone plays in Development unless there is a reason. They shouldn't make it though because it shouldn't exist.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Will continue his afl career....at another club. Gone.
Who's going to take him on?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Will continue his afl career....at another club. Gone.
Who's going to take him on?
Good question. Someone will take a punt. Rookie spot at worst.

Rumours flying around he's already got a suitor. Good luck to them, they'll need it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Three things sealed his fate

1. The recruitment of Insane in the Membrane
2. The drafting of P McCartin over C Petracca
3. The emergence of the Bruuuuuuce as a bona fide key fwd.

What clubs might be tempted?

Blues
Pies
Dockers
Lions
Power
Bombers

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he out of contract at the end of the year?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Three things sealed his fate

1. The recruitment of Insane in the Membrane
2. The drafting of P McCartin over C Petracca
3. The emergence of the Bruuuuuuce as a bona fide key fwd.

What clubs might be tempted?

Blues
Pies
Dockers
Lions
Power
Bombers

No one should be added to the list.

stjay
Club Player

Question is: Is he even training?

FQF
SS Life Member

Hello Tony... any info please?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This thread went a bit off the rails there but I'd also like to know if there are any problems or is it just a small injury? Some of our so called saviors have a habit of letting us down (*cough-Tommy Walsh-cough*).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lefty
Club Player

Far out, relax, he's only 20 years old. It will be the same for McCartin as well.

Forwards especially big ones, take time. Membrey isn't exactly setting the world on fire either, so just chill a bit.

Give Markworth and Sippo a go as well. Both coming off shoulder problems. Its not exactly easy coming off any sort of reco. I'd persist with these guys and give them a go.

Sippo has shown glimpses under Watters and then became the victim of the Goddard quarter back when he's clearly a forward. Markworth has been unlucky, but I feel its changing for the better and I can see him and Acres being our two wingers as Monty and Ray won't be there forever.

Patience needed please.

stjay
Club Player

The guy is on a one year contract, not performing and not even in the development side.
My guess is the club will run out of patience before supporters do.
Doesn't bode well. The odds must be shortening by the day that this is his last year with the Saints which is a shame.
Another club will have a crack, sort him out and in a couple of years we'll all be shaking our heads when he's kicking bags against us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Far out, relax, he's only 20 years old. It will be the same for McCartin as well.

Forwards especially big ones, take time. Membrey isn't exactly setting the world on fire either, so just chill a bit.

Give Markworth and Sippo a go as well. Both coming off shoulder problems. Its not exactly easy coming off any sort of reco. I'd persist with these guys and give them a go.

Sippo has shown glimpses under Watters and then became the victim of the Goddard quarter back when he's clearly a forward. Markworth has been unlucky, but I feel its changing for the better and I can see him and Acres being our two wingers as Monty and Ray won't be there forever.

Patience needed please.

Age doesn't seem to be the issue though. He was given a one year contract for a reason. He hasn't done a thing in the one year he has been given. Surely that leads to 2 and 2 equalling 4. Membery isn't setting the word on fire because he isn't very good. A guy of his size doesn't need many years. He isn't really a tall and doesn't play as a tall. I agree White is a tall but the one year contract suggests some other problems.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought the recruiting of Membrey may have put White down the pecking order, but Membrey looks like a good VFL player at best, and Paddy looks like a schoolboy footballer with a long long way to go, so there is still an opening for a bigger forward to make their presence felt.

bigballs
Club Player

It would be great to see a three pronged attack of White, Bruce and McCartin once Roo retires or even before he retires, but at this stage it doesn't look like it's going to happen because of the uncertainty of White.

Like everyone else I'd like to know what has happened to Spencer. After getting a taste of playing in the AFL last year, I thought he would have been pushing for selection early this year, but unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Who knows, maybe the success of Bruce up forward and the recruitment of McCartin and Membrey has had some sort of effect on him in the way he goes about it, but one things for sure in my eyes, Spencer has a lot of talent, so as far as I'm concerned, we should persevere with him and give him a bit more time.

Hopefully, whatever ailment he has (if in fact he does have one), then I hope he come overcome it and push for selection some time soon.

FQF
SS Life Member

Bit premature to be writing Membrey off.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:Bit premature to be writing Membrey off.
Absolutely. He's only out of the seniors as present as Richo wants to see if Hickey can play as a tall forward. The jury is more out on Hickey as a forward than Membrey.

I thought he was very good as a mid sized marking target in his games thus far. He was generally getting the pill outside 50 too but the usual 'he's no good' write off merchants didn't notice that... it was all about the lack of goals he was kicking.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Absolutely. He's only out of the seniors as present as Richo wants to see if Hickey can play as a tall forward. The jury is more out on Hickey as a forward than Membrey.

I thought he was very good as a mid sized marking target in his games thus far. He was generally getting the pill outside 50 too but the usual 'he's no good' write off merchants didn't notice that... it was all about the lack of goals he was kicking.

If he was very good as mid sized player he would be playing no matter how much they want to look at Hickey.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

If he was very good as mid sized player he would be playing no matter how much they want to look at Hickey.
General rule:
Don't write off anyone who is 20 years old and played 5 games.