Nick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick

Bunk I totally agree with you.

Racism and Racist gets thrown around so much now. Some people play the "racism card" just so rules don't apply to them.
I have come across this in other sports where people have not followed the rules, and when pulled up have called racism.

I have loved Michael Longs work in trying to solve the racism problems that do exist. I loved his idea of indigenous round. I love his walk to the G.
I love how he wants us all just to respect each other.

I would love to hear his thoughts on all this too.

markp
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
markp wrote:...And if I'm wrong and they're all racist, then god help us.
Mark, we were all born to raised as racist. It's in all of human learnings, perhaps even in our genes. And for good reason. For most of human history (say the last 100,000 years), we needed to fear "others", even if they were just on the other side of the hill and looked and sounded just like us. Because, for most of history, survival depended on getting a greater share of limited food and shelter. Those rare societies, for whom these needs are easily met, found that they could afford to accommodate 'others' in their group. Generally, it has only been in the last 100 years that this has occurred throughout much of the world. The mass migrations to 'new' lands have led the change. Alas, the indigenous populations were rarely consulted or included.

When you look at young children play, it is obvious that they are 'colour' blind. This is not to say that they are selfless. In fact, for most people, they grow out of this complete selfishness of the early years into a more sharing and considerate person. Of course, some never grow up.

Our journey as humans, in a time of plenty in the developed world, where we need to limit our food intake rather than scramble for it, is to become less racist, less afraid of others, and more willing to accommodate difference whilst still being wary of exploitation. This can be tricky. Those who will never have enough (the exceptionally greedy) won't do this and will, without conscience, exploit the fears of the ignorant (those who refuse to learn) for their own benefit.

I have never met anybody who is 100% non racist, and that includes me. We all have our moments when confronted with difference, even if only in our thoughts. This can occur at home or away, although in the case of the latter, the boot can be on the other foot - a very good reason for making such journeys. Once we own up to that, then we can make change, even if it just extends to not booing at the football.
I accept all that as a given.

We are tribal animals, it doesn't even have to be a difference in appearance or ethnicity.

The fact that he's in a swans jumper and seen by many as a great (opposition) player + egotistical + a stager + a whinger + a sniper, is enough for most who are so inclined to boo him. Some could add + black to that, whether they can admit it to themselves or not.

But the afl and sections of the media have decided they want it to stop because (and only because) it's a bad look for the game, so let's label all the booing and those who boo as racist (they will no doubt add 'un-Australian' shortly), and everyone will be engineered (via shaming) to stop.

Reminds me of the way people have been stooged into accepting hird as an afl coach or the way abbott has stooged the abc into going less hard on him and his govt.

"Who's side are you on... the racists??"

I think the absurdity of this all has some way to run yet. Maybe cheering too loudly for an opponent of goodes who beats him in a contest will labelled racist too.

I personally think he's a great player and seems like a decent bloke too... but can see how his on field antics annoy people. I also had zero issue with him being australian of the year or his conduct during that time, and had more concerns about people who were concerned... thought his war dance was lame and that people made lame comments about it afterward, but if he'd done it towards where I was sitting during a game I would've gone nuts.

In short, it's not a simple issue, but it's being mutilated into one so it can be managed as one. The booing is racist and bad, the bad thing must be stopped.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Morons boo Nick. For Adam Goodes, it's morons plus racists, which is why it is louder.
Absolutely.

Ask people which players they hate the most and a lot would say H. Lamumba and A. Goodes. Sad for Australia.
Not me. Ballantyne and Crowley do it for me. Glen Maxwell was one I absolutely detested.

The reason people don't like Harry is because he is a dick, not because he's black.

There is a racist element to some booing though, including Nick.

Goodes is a champion footballer, but a tool all the same.

I for one would like the booing at Goodes to stop.

Wouldn't it be great, if the club that nurtured Cuz was the first club to stand as one and say enough is enough.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 28 Jul 2015 12:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I prefer to focus on supporting MY side rather than wasting energy booing an opponent. Bunk, I'm happy to face up and discuss the issue with you any time you like.
Good anytime. Discussion is good. Hectoring and bullying from the likes of Francis Leach and Gerard Whately calling everyone who booed Goodes a racist, is beyond the pale.

I wont accept it. Goodes does not represent all of aborigines, he brings his devisive and wedge politics into OUR GAME.

Not his game, or your or my game but THE PEOPLE S GAME, and uses it for his own political ends.

In parts of the world people have died from players inciting crowds using devisive topics. But apparently doing it in Australia is fine.

What happens if this leads to violence?

Jetta was not booed once for three quarters until he aggressively attacked the crowd with his silly dance. BTW it made him look like a tool because his team was 8 goals down, but nobody mentions that do they?

Stuff Goodes, bully of children and preacher of the bully pulpit. I will not miss this person driving a wedge into our game.

Where Nicky Winmar and Michael Long and David Wirrapunda were magnificent ambassadors for race relations in our game and in our community, Goodes has decided to bully and attack.

Stuff him and I for one am glad there have been repercussions for bully boy goodes.
So says Bunk the privoledged white man ...walk a few yards in a blackmans shoes you racist twat ..you have no idea like the stupid girl who called Goodes a monkey pfft.
Some girl called Goodes a "monkey" did she?. Well that's news to me. Hadn't heard that one before and if true I'm sure that Goodes would have had her publicly humiliated. if not flogged. :mrgreen:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:As for the dance:

Aboriginal round in the AFL, a sporting competition. He'd just scored a goal. Again, it was Aboriginal round. He is aboriginal. It's a dance created by an aboriginal group of kids he'd just met.

Would it be OK if it it was an aboriginal cooking dance?
It's a contact sport, a fierce competition. A war dance isn't appropriate? I don't actually think he was declaring war on the Carlton Blues.

Even if he DID knowilgly use it as a 'politcal tool' I'd say that the fact that we are still discussing it vindicates entirely his doing it in the first place. White Australia needs to have a hard look in the mirror.
Crap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Morons boo Nick. For Adam Goodes, it's morons plus racists, which is why it is louder.
Absolutely.

Ask people which players they hate the most and a lot would say H. Lamumba and A. Goodes. Sad for Australia.
Not me. Ballantyne and Crowley do it for me. Glen Maxwell was one I absolutely detested.

The reason people don't like Harry is because he is a dick, not because he's black.

Wouldn't it be great, if the club that nurtured Cuz was the first club to stand as one and say enough is enough.

Racist element to booing Nick? What does that even mean and why wouldn't you like Glen Maxwell?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:I'm a bit confused here.
Booing Goodes (or any player) all game long is just mindless and pathetic.
It seems though that the call is you can't boo him at all.
If he whacks one of ours, stooges a BS free or gets away with something that every other player in the league would be pinged for, then you aren't allowed to boo him like you would any other player?
That seems ridiculous.
Nooone is saying that. Of course if he whacks someone he gets booed, but that is not what has been happening this last 18 months. He is booed for being 'political.' . Let's not try and pretend otherwise. Apparently a black man should be seen but not heard and not get 'uppity.'
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 2:24pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Is this post a joke?

People are saying 'Rooooooooo'.

And for anyone who boos Goodes. You are racist. Plain and simple. Dont give me any of your cr*p excuses like 'oh i am no racist but i boo him because he dived for a free in 2004' etc etc etc.

And 'other indigenous players' dont get booed because they now their 'place' in white society. Goodes gets booed because he dares to be asked to be listened to, even, if just for a moment. Is that too much to ask?

If a black man is bold and dares to even slightly stick his head up or go against the grain just a little, old whitie's head just explodes doesn't it.
What a pile of bulls***.......

No-one has any place, nor an expectation that anyone "remember their place". They do have a limited patience for any colour of flog though. And especially a flog that chooses to use the exalted position of AoTY as a platform to berate white Australians (despite being more than 50% white himself - wonder how THAT parent feels), at every opportunity for actions that occurred 200 years ago. Instead he could have used the position as an unparallelled opportunity to try and unite our community more closely than ever - fat chance, he would rather bully children to "denounce racism".
Keep telling yourself that mate. People boo because they like their black men to perform their skill on a stage and then be seen and not heard . Goodesy doesnt 'berate' anyone. Raising the plight of his people is not 'berating.' Is it all that uncomfortable for us just to listen for a few moments? That's all he asks and it seems that is too much for some who simply cant even afford someone the respect of listening.

He's not not seeking a revolution, he's not seeking an over-throw, just to be listened to. And some people cant even give him that. He is using his public profile to be a voice for people who don't get a say.

'200 years ago'. Yeah right. Have you seen the recent stats on aboriginal disadvantage? I don't even think Goodes is political. He never says 'the government should do x or y.' He never blames anyone else. He just brings a bit of attention to a cause. I cant see why it such a big deal for some people or so uncomfortable.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 2:25pm, edited 5 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Back to the OP.

Can we just confirm that people are saying 'Roooooooo'?

I am almost certain that is the case. It is a sign of endearment in this instance.

(also listen for Breuuuuuust at Hawks games).

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Back to the OP.

I am almost certain that is the case. It is a sign of endearment in this instance.

Home games, yes, "Rooooooo"

Away games and interstate, most definitely "Boooooooo"

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I remember the old days in the 1980s and 1990s when Aboriginals didn't get as many frees for and more against. I remember Rex Hunt going on about Nicky Winmar being unable to act like "normal" people when he'd had a misdemeanour. I recall the Saints fans who racially abused Milera etc. We are a country who are pretty accepting but still have an underlying racism just below the surface.

I have a cousin who is part Aboriginal so I'm a bit sensitive, but he suffers from having less self esteem because of his background. People like Goodes who make them selves unpopular while making themselves strong cultural leaders should be heroes not booed. If he was my people I would walk taller knowing he was leading from the front. They did a social experiment on TV where they had an aboriginal man go and ask to see rental properties and he was told there was nothing available. They had a white guy do it and they pulled out a list. That's racism and if people deny that it exists it's deliberate looking past it.

People don't like minorities getting above themselves by demanding things change but someone has to do it. Mandela and Martin Luther King didn't make ground by toeing the line. Goodes isn't obviously in the same league but there is a dearth of strong leadership in aboriginal Australia. Dodson is the best of them and then there are plenty of conservatives that fall into line.

Anyway, Rooey has finally been acknowledged as great while Goodes seems to have been going the other way. I loved to hate Goodes because he often tore us up but could always respect him. I saw him play at North Balarat and it was the single most dominant display I have ever witnessed in a football game. He tapped the ball ran on to it got around a bunch of players and bombed long goals, he did it over and over. How he wasn't a top 10 pick was a mystery.

I hope we don't ever boo him as a club as it is a sad indictment on the sheep like mentality of crowds and even if not racist by the individual it certainly comes across as that. Holmes probably came to Australia and loved the fact that he could be in Melbourne and not socially segregated like African Americans can still be in parts of the US, I would be embarrassed if he witnessed that from our supporters.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:

I have honestly have not heard him booed.

And even if he is, well then the people doing it are complete idiots. Let's not make that the standard that is set as a benchmark. 'Other people are idiots, so we can be idiots too' doesnt seem like much of an argument.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 2:35pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I remember the old days in the 1980s and 1990s when Aboriginals didn't get as many frees for and more against. I remember Rex Hunt going on about Nicky Winmar being unable to act like "normal" people when he'd had a misdemeanour. I recall the Saints fans who racially abused Milera etc. We are a country who are pretty accepting but still have an underlying racism just below the surface.

I have a cousin who is part Aboriginal so I'm a bit sensitive, but he suffers from having less self esteem because of his background. People like Goodes who make them selves unpopular while making themselves strong cultural leaders should be heroes not booed. If he was my people I would walk taller knowing he was leading from the front. They did a social experiment on TV where they had an aboriginal man go and ask to see rental properties and he was told there was nothing available. They had a white guy do it and they pulled out a list. That's racism and if people deny that it exists it's deliberate looking past it.

People don't like minorities getting above themselves by demanding things change but someone has to do it. Mandela and Martin Luther King didn't make ground by toeing the line. Goodes isn't obviously in the same league but there is a dearth of strong leadership in aboriginal Australia. Dodson is the best of them and then there are plenty of conservatives that fall into line.

Anyway, Rooey has finally been acknowledged as great while Goodes seems to have been going the other way. I loved to hate Goodes because he often tore us up but could always respect him. I saw him play at North Balarat and it was the single most dominant display I have ever witnessed in a football game. He tapped the ball ran on to it got around a bunch of players and bombed long goals, he did it over and over. How he wasn't a top 10 pick was a mystery.

I hope we don't ever boo him as a club as it is a sad indictment on the sheep like mentality of crowds and even if not racist by the individual it certainly comes across as that. Holmes probably came to Australia and loved the fact that he could be in Melbourne and not socially segregated like African Americans can still be in parts of the US, I would be embarrassed if he witnessed that from our supporters.
Awesome post.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote: Keep telling yourself that mate. People boo because they like their black men to perform their skill on a stage and then be seen and not heard . Goodesy doesnt 'berate' anyone. Raising the plight of his people is not 'berating.' Is it all that uncomfortable for us just to listen for a few moments? That's all he asks and it seems that is too much for some who simply cant even afford someone the respect of listening.

He's not not seeking a revolution, he's not seeking an over-throw, just to be listened to. And some people cant even give him that. He is using his public profile to be a voice for people who don't get a say.

'200 years ago'. Yeah right. Have you seen the recent stats on aboriginal disadvantage? I don't even think Goodes is political. He never says 'the government should do x or y.' He never blames anyone else. He just brings a bit of attention to a cause. I cant see why it such a big deal for some people or so uncomfortable.
Frog s***. The resentment towards Goodes has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it has everything to do with him hijacking the game to use as a vehicle for his own political agenda. The same thing applied to O'Brien/Lamumba before he pulled his head in. People wanted to watch him play football, not listen to his underwhelming intellect as he spouted his own convoluted convictions on how to live life in the press, purely because the press gave him column inches due to his profile as a footballer. The difference was that Lamumba gave up the habit and the press soon lost interest, and Lamumba's dribbling was not underpinned by a political agenda.
The same guidelines apply to any player. I have enormous respect for our captain, but I don't care to hear his thoughts on aspects outside of football, especially his politics, and if he were to constantly carp on about it the public would soon grow weary of it.

On the issue of disadvantage, Goodes hasn't struck me as light on for a dollar or access to services, and I am yet to hear him espousing any beliefs on what can be done to improve the situation for aboriginal social outcomes, but I have heard him refer to 98% of the Australian population as invaders (assumedly that applies to his own white parent).
He has also made reference publicly to white Australians as "stealing" land from his people - maybe you should give him your house block.....
Could just be me, but if you refer to normal, average people who have done nothing wrong as thieves,I would expect that they would not give you a warm welcome when you next encounter them.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
Absolutely.

Racist element to booing Nick? What does that even mean and why wouldn't you like Glen Maxwell?

Sorry, I meant the flog who used to captain Collingwood. :oops:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Keep telling yourself that mate. People boo because they like their black men to perform their skill on a stage and then be seen and not heard . Goodesy doesnt 'berate' anyone. Raising the plight of his people is not 'berating.' Is it all that uncomfortable for us just to listen for a few moments? That's all he asks and it seems that is too much for some who simply cant even afford someone the respect of listening.

Frog s***. The resentment towards Goodes has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it has everything to do with him hijacking the game to use as a vehicle for his own political agenda. The same thing applied to O'Brien/Lamumba before he pulled his head in. People wanted to watch him play football, not listen to his underwhelming intellect as he spouted his own convoluted convictions on how to live life in the press, purely because the press gave him column inches due to his profile as a footballer. The difference was that Lamumba gave up the habit and the press soon lost interest, and Lamumba's dribbling was not underpinned by a political agenda.
The same guidelines apply to any player. I have enormous respect for our captain, but I don't care to hear his thoughts on aspects outside of football, especially his politics, and if he were to constantly carp on about it the public would soon grow weary of it.

On the issue of disadvantage, Goodes hasn't struck me as light on for a dollar or access to services, and I am yet to hear him espousing any beliefs on what can be done to improve the situation for aboriginal social outcomes, but I have heard him refer to 98% of the Australian population as invaders (assumedly that applies to his own white parent).
He has also made reference publicly to white Australians as "stealing" land from his people - maybe you should give him your house block.....
Could just be me, but if you refer to normal, average people who have done nothing wrong as thieves,I would expect that they would not give you a warm welcome when you next encounter them.
Self justify all day long. You cant handle a black man who acts outside of his station. Who doesnt know his place and stay in his box.
Keep replying with these very very very flimsy pieces of self justification. You are just digging a bigger hole.
I dont think Goodesy 'constantly' carps (sic) on about anything. Merely raises some awareness. And if NIck was indigenous and used his profile to raise a few issues, I dont think any of us would complain.

As for the land rights - well this isnt the place to discuss it - but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That much is painfully clear. In fact your ideas are so dreadfully ignorant that I think a conversation on the topic is pointless is at this stage.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Sorry, I meant the flog who used to captain Collingwood. :oops:

Seems like a really decent guy. certainly not a flog. What were you on about with racism and the booing of Rooy. Couldn't get that at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

I think it would be easier for him to sit back and enjoy the spoils of his position. The stand he makes is carrying a whole people on his back. The Australian government took control of the Aboriginals self determination and then started closing communities so mining interests can move in. It's shameful and never gets any press. It's easy to ignore everything wrong in the world it takes someone making waves to start rectifying things. It would have been easy to keep slavery or have workhouses where the poor worked for nothing but a bed and a small amount of food. Someone stood up and took the issues on and over time it changed thinking.

Nicky Winmar and Michael Long stopped a huge amount of racism in society through their football fame. We didn't let Aboriginals vote as they were considered Australians until 1967. They may have a little baggage still about their treatment. I know its soft especially as they were allowed to go to war as the lowest ranked soldiers then were allowed to come back with our other boys only to be denied being citizens again.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote: Self justify all day long. You cant handle a black man who acts outside of his station. Who doesnt know his place and stay in his box.
Keep replying with these very very very flimsy pieces of self justification. You are just digging a bigger hole.
I dont think Goodesy 'constantly' carps (sic) on about anything. Merely raises some awareness. And if NIck was indigenous and used his profile to raise a few issues, I dont think any of us would complain.

As for the land rights - well this isnt the place to discuss it - but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That much is painfully clear. In fact your ideas are so dreadfully ignorant that I think a conversation on the topic is pointless is at this stage.
How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle. Sounds like little more than projection to me.

What I cannot handle is someone who hijacks a sporting competition to use as his own personal political vehicle, bullies children, and chooses to use a privileged position to create division rather than posit anything of substance. Goodes has done nothing for ""his" people and paddled around in the rather shallow pool of the politics of victimhood and division whilst enjoying the fruits of a very well rewarded sporting career.

Getting people to acknowledge the hardships of adversity confronting some sections of the indigenous community is not difficult, it is as plain as the nose on your face that something needs to be done. I am yet to hear Goodes advocate for anything other than the political "Recognise" campaign, not a single positive action or path, despite his profile and access to media.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Chris wrote:

I have honestly have not heard him booed.

And even if he is, well then the people doing it are complete idiots. Let's not make that the standard that is set as a benchmark. 'Other people are idiots, so we can be idiots too' doesnt seem like much of an argument.

Don't see the point of booing anyone actually. Riewoldt is always booed by Footscray bogans, bj is booed by our bogans etc etc.

Seems pointless to me.

Goodes is booed by some who

a) don't like his way of playing/staging/ sniping
b) don't like his bullying of young girls
c) don't like his politicising AFL football
d) him being aboriginal
e) a combo of all or some of the above.

But the simpletons and the big brother style orthodox mindset is that ALL people who boo Goods are ALL RACISTS. Every single last one of them

Love to work in absolutisms do these paradigms of moral fortitude.

So for the sake of consistency and declaring statements in absolutes, ALL people who think Goodes is bood for being racist, support him and his bullying of children.

Bully of children is child abuse - therefore logically in the absolute world, all people who support Goodes supports child abuse.

See how ridiculous and illogical labelling everyone something is after the straw man argument has been built?

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have never booed anyone so im not a great example but if I was to start booing someone it would be one they are a great player and kill us all the time or 2 a player did something to one of our players. I don't think Goodes falls under either of those categories. Has been a great player but cant really remember him killing us. I will say we used to get upset when people booed Milney so I wont hope those same people don't boo Goodes because he did something some don't like. No excuse booing Milney or Goodes IMO but we pay our money and can do as we please I suppose. I hope we are a bigger club than the others and chose not to boo Goodes when we play them. I also believe in santa Claus.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Self justify all day long. You cant handle a black man who acts outside of his station. Who doesnt know his place and stay in his box.

How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle. Sounds like little more than projection to me.

What I cannot handle is someone who hijacks a sporting competition to use as his own personal political vehicle, bullies children, and chooses to use a privileged position to create division rather than posit anything of substance. Goodes has done nothing for ""his" people and paddled around in the rather shallow pool of the politics of victimhood and division whilst enjoying the fruits of a very well rewarded sporting career.

Getting people to acknowledge the hardships of adversity confronting some sections of the indigenous community is not difficult, it is as plain as the nose on your face that something needs to be done. I am yet to hear Goodes advocate for anything other than the political "Recognise" campaign, not a single positive action or path, despite his profile and access to media.

I actually think us debating the issue shows how much he has done. The very fact it is an issue in the media shows his voice got through and no matter how uncomfortable and nasty the debates get it opens peoples minds up to how something could be done to change the unacceptable status quo. Most people like you are not racist but you seem like you would prefer him to keep his head in where I would like hi to go harder in the media. It's at a great expense to his own peace of mind but will do amazing things for a lot of unheard people who don't get a say. He might not be the greatest statesman but he's a voice. Lamumba is not really a fair comparison because he was running a more personal agenda for attention. Asking to meet the Dalai Lama was cringeworthy no matter who you are.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote: How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle. Sounds like little more than projection to me.
Might be on to something there
True Believer wrote:What I cannot handle is someone who hijacks a sporting competition to use as his own personal political vehicle, bullies children, and chooses to use a privileged position to create division rather than posit anything of substance. Goodes has done nothing for ""his" people and paddled around in the rather shallow pool of the politics of victimhood and division whilst enjoying the fruits of a very well rewarded sporting career.
Watch it TB you will get into a lot of trouble for speaking sense. Obviously you are just a racist
True Believer wrote:Getting people to acknowledge the hardships of adversity confronting some sections of the indigenous community is not difficult, it is as plain as the nose on your face that something needs to be done. I am yet to hear Goodes advocate for anything other than the political "Recognise" campaign, not a single positive action or path, despite his profile and access to media.
I don't know TB, he likes to throw pretend spears and dance around like a lame version of the hakka. He is als a very good advocate for Adam Goodes and his own self importance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
True Believer wrote:

How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle.
I just dared and I just did tell you.
Be up in arms if you like.

And how am I projecting when I am not the one upset by Goodesy? I don't think 'projecting' means what you think it means.

I think this thread is heading towards lock-down territory. A real shame.

In the US they use the term 'Uncle Tom.' If Goodesy had not used his position to raise a few concerns he would be seen as an 'Uncle Tom' by his own people.

It seems (a vocal booing minority) of white Australia wants him to be an Uncle Tom. When he's not, their heads explode.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 3:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: I actually think us debating the issue shows how much he has done. The very fact it is an issue in the media shows his voice got through and no matter how uncomfortable and nasty the debates get it opens peoples minds up to how something could be done to change the unacceptable status quo. Most people like you are not racist but you seem like you would prefer him to keep his head in where I would like hi to go harder in the media. It's at a great expense to his own peace of mind but will do amazing things for a lot of unheard people who don't get a say. He might not be the greatest statesman but he's a voice. Lamumba is not really a fair comparison because he was running a more personal agenda for attention. Asking to meet the Dalai Lama was cringeworthy no matter who you are.

Don't agree with this at all. He is using the AFL for a political platform. This is completely and utterly wrong place to do it in my opinion.

AotY was appropriate if he wanted to vilify fellow Australians. To aggressively pretend to attack opposition supporters with his made up war dance, was just violent provocation.

Soccer suffered with this type of self aggrandiosement and ethnic problems in their game here for years. Now Goodes is introducing his political views in the peoples game.

He has no right. It is not his game, it is not mine or yours or Mclauchlin's or anybodies to use as their political plaything.

If he wants to paly politics, retire form football and go into politics. But don't politicise our game and then play shocked that the majority resent it.