Brownlow 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Brownlow 2015

Con Gorozidis wrote:If you are feeling low look away.

Just to make us all feel bad. Fyfe was pick 20 in the notorious 2009 draft. I dont need to remind anyone what we did with our pick 16 :lol: .

Ironically Carlisle was pick 24. We could have got him back then and now seem to be insanely thinking of giving Essendon our pick 5 for him :shock: .
Is that the year we traded with Essendon?.........

ripplug66
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:If Mitchell does win it will prove the AFL is completely void of credability.

Not even former prolific poster could defend that.

He didn't but I don't get your post. Is it ability because I had him coming 4th on form? Is it because he kneed a guy well he was fined once for that and still had another fine to go before he was suspended. Fyffe already had 2 fines when he was let off for a third offence which I'm glad he was.

The best thing to do is just make it the best player afterall the umpires are told to vote for a player even if they report that player during the game.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:If Mitchell does win it will prove the AFL is completely void of credability.

He didn't but I don't get your post. Is it ability because I had him coming 4th on form? Is it because he kneed a guy well he was fined once for that and still had another fine to go before he was suspended. Fyffe already had 2 fines when he was let off for a third offence which I'm glad he was.

The best thing to do is just make it the best player afterall the umpires are told to vote for a player even if they report that player during the game.
None of the above but more to do with this...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 7548019573

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

great speech by Fyfe . sounds like a good kid jealous we don't have him.....but irked me to hear his accolades of Lyon (not Fyfes fault)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:

lol You weren't gone for long...I knew you would be back and how valuable this forum is to you :)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:great speech by Fyfe . sounds like a good kid jealous we don't have him.....but irked me to hear his accolades of Lyon (not Fyfes fault)
There's a whole lot of love for Fyfe. I didn't like him as a player because he's so good but after hearing his fabulous speech on winning, I can't feel anything but whole hearted respect for the guy as he is such a well grounded and humble guy. Great character, brilliant footballer, he deserves everything that comes his way and Fremantle are so lucky to have him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If you are feeling low look away.

Just to make us all feel bad. Fyfe was pick 20 in the notorious 2009 draft. I dont need to remind anyone what we did with our pick 16 :lol: .

Ironically Carlisle was pick 24. We could have got him back then and now seem to be insanely thinking of giving Essendon our pick 5 for him :shock: .
Is that the year we traded with Essendon?.........
Absolute f*** up of the draft. The quick fix solution bombed out.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vazelos
Club Player

We picked the wrong player from Claremont that year!!
Takes a few years though, started in 2010 & genuine super star in 2014.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-09-2 ... dal-wrapup
Riewoldt has now polled 130 career votes, putting him second behind Robert Harvey for total Brownlow votes for a St Kilda player.

Last night, the skipper leapfrogged James Hird (125 votes), Stewart Loewe (126), Wayne Carey (127), Tony Lockett (128) and Lenny Hayes (129) into 41st on the all-time list of Brownlow vote winners.

Montagna’s match-winning goal and best on ground performance against Melbourne in round 11 yielded him three votes, with his other two votes coming against North Melbourne in round 20.

The 249-gamer has polled 96 career votes, one more than former Saints captain Nathan Burke.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
saintbrat wrote:I may be going against the grain But don't like Bruce's style of questioning.....
I'm with you against the grain 100%. Bruce is just weird. And was the Saints table in the toilet or something? I reckon they showed us once for the night.

wwe were not alone
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... jwxm0.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's about time they dropped the fairest aspect of the award so that no one has to put up with the BS that players ONLY get fined instead of suspended so they are still eligible because, let's face it, they have only come up with these fines because of the Brownlow Medal.

Just make it the best player and give the rucks, forwards and even defenders a look in.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ripplug66
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:Maybe it's about time they dropped the fairest aspect of the award so that no one has to put up with the BS that players ONLY get fined instead of suspended so they are still eligible because, let's face it, they have only come up with these fines because of the Brownlow Medal.

Just make it the best player and give the rucks, forwards and even defenders a look in.

I'm unsure how you give other positions a look in. It isn't like they win any other awards in the media. It isn't just the brownlow that gives it to mids and IMO they are the most important now anyway. Lets face it what hope has a forward got if Peter Hudson struggled when he kicked 100 goals. Even the rucks when they won took a lot of marks as a spare player down back. That doesn't really happen as much these days. Mids dominate so they get the most votes.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Maybe it's about time they dropped the fairest aspect of the award so that no one has to put up with the BS that players ONLY get fined instead of suspended so they are still eligible because, let's face it, they have only come up with these fines because of the Brownlow Medal.

Why?
It's the umpire's award. It always has been. Just leave it be.
Reportable offences have changed over time. Remember that tripping by hand used to be reportable.
You play within the rules of the season.

If the ruckmen/forwards/defenders were all worthy then they'd win media awards, AFLPA, Coaches awards, B&F's, etc.
But they rarely do. Why?
Maybe it's because the game is a midfielder's game. There are so many of them that run through the middle now. Half-backs, Half-forwards, wingers, back-pockets, forward-pockets...No wonder a midfielder wins the awards. 12 of the 18 players are playing in the middle for large parts of the game.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I understand what you guys are saying about rucks, forwards and defenders. Are there any awards that recognize the best players from these positions?

My point about the fairest aspect of the Brownlow was that every Monday the AFL hope like crazy that a player capable of winning the medal doesn't get suspended. You then see that players like Fyfe, Mitchell, etc "get away" with a fine only and the Brownlow then won't be a farce. Surely you must see that?

Get rid of the fairest part. If a player is suspended then they still get votes for that game (if they deserve them) but obviously won't vote in the next one or two games (or however long the suspension is). This way they are still eligible and there is no farce on the Monday or on Brownlow night.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:My point about the fairest aspect of the Brownlow was that every Monday the AFL hope like crazy that a player capable of winning the medal doesn't get suspended. You then see that players like Fyfe, Mitchell, etc "get away" with a fine only and the Brownlow then won't be a farce. Surely you must see that?

Get rid of the fairest part. If a player is suspended then they still get votes for that game (if they deserve them) but obviously won't vote in the next one or two games (or however long the suspension is). This way they are still eligible and there is no farce on the Monday or on Brownlow night.
It's happened twice in nearly 100 years. It is the biggest non-issue in the game.

The simple way to fix it is to make the MVP award from the AFLPA or the Coaches award the most prestigious award on offer and relegate the Brownlow to the background.
After all the Brownlow is voted on by the most criticised people in the game. We knock them every week about the decisions or non-decisions they make so how is it they're going to adjudicate on the three best players on the ground.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Jacks Back wrote:I understand what you guys are saying about rucks, forwards and defenders. Are there any awards that recognize the best players from these positions?

My point about the fairest aspect of the Brownlow was that every Monday the AFL hope like crazy that a player capable of winning the medal doesn't get suspended. You then see that players like Fyfe, Mitchell, etc "get away" with a fine only and the Brownlow then won't be a farce. Surely you must see that?

yes - its called the All-Australian happens every year

The brownlow is historically & should always be the Fairest & Best
There are plenty of other prizes running around that can award a thug as the years best player - if you want farce how 'bout a player that gets 10 games of 3 brownlow votes but rubbed out for the other 13 games - it COULD be possible.
I get what you are saying if you believe in AFL conspiracies, but your beef is with the MRP panel not the AFL as the administrators that "protect" the Brownlow Award
and your argument also take aim at people like Nathan Bourke (MRP panel) & of course dual brownlow medalist R Harvey in the year he won due to Grant getting rubbed out

Seeya