Draft Assessment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Assessment

longtimesaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Do we actually have to replace Roo? We just need a good functioning fwd line with 6 good players in it. We dont necessarily need the big star to win a flag. Heck we nearly won a flag in 1997 with a no name fwd line. Winmar was the biggest star back then.
We did have Stewie Loewe and Everitt in 97
True.
not a bad fwd line really.. A good mix. The point is u cant rely on one star. U need a few good players.
Four good players is better than one star. So the point stands. We dont need to replace roo. We just need Bruce billings mccartin membrey lonie to be a good unit that kick goals.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

True Con. Some goal kicking mids would also be great. It's something we never really have had

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Do we actually have to replace Roo? We just need a good functioning fwd line with 6 good players in it. We dont necessarily need the big star to win a flag. Heck we nearly won a flag in 1997 with a no name fwd line. Winmar was the biggest star back then.
True.
not a bad fwd line really.. A good mix. The point is u cant rely on one star. U need a few good players.
Four good players is better than one star. So the point stands. We dont need to replace roo. We just need Bruce billings mccartin membrey lonie to be a good unit that kick goals.
What about Heatley and Hall? Any forward line containing Loewe, Heatley, Winmar, Hall, Lappin and Everitt, is hardly "no name", Con. It is, arguably amongst the greatest forward lines ever to represent our club.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
True.
What about Heatley and Hall? Any forward line containing Loewe, Heatley, Winmar, Hall, Lappin and Everitt, is hardly "no name", Con. It is, arguably amongst the greatest forward lines ever to represent our club.
Isnt that what I am saying? You need 6 good players in the fwd line. Not one mega star.

Playon
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:True Con. Some goal kicking mids would also be great. It's something we never really have had
Nicky Winmar doesnt ring a bell? I'd rate him as one of the best, but I guess thats just my opinion. I still remember when he played as FF when plugger was out, awesome player

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Isnt that what I am saying? You need 6 good players in the fwd line. Not one mega star.
Well we've invested pick 1 and pick 3 in forwards so I think the club would be be hoping McCartin and Billings do turn out to be stars and not just journey men. The problem wasn't that Rooey was a mega-star, but that Kosi never quite came on to be another dominant power forward to share the load. The lesson is don't be so predictable with forward entries and goal kicking. We seem to be developing a much better spread of goal scoring options including quite a few goal sniffing onballers. But I'm crossing my fingers McCArtin becomes a pack crashing, goal kicking super star forward as the lynch pin of our forward line and I'm sure the club is too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Goose is king wrote:True Con. Some goal kicking mids would also be great. It's something we never really have had
Nicky Winmar doesnt ring a bell? I'd rate him as one of the best, but I guess thats just my opinion. I still remember when he played as FF when plugger was out, awesome player
An all time favorite of mine along with Barks , Big Carl and of course, Robbie Muir.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I got your point, Con, but I'd argue that our forward line in 1997 contained 4 stars and a couple of other very good players. Forwards win matches. Defenders save them. Ross Lyon proved that 4 times over in the big dance, unfortunately.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I got your point, Con, but I'd argue that our forward line in 1997 contained 4 stars and a couple of other very good players. Forwards win matches. Defenders save them. Ross Lyon proved that 4 times over in the big dance, unfortunately.

We had the forwards in 97, but what cost us dearly in the grannie was the loss of Vidovic, Spider and Smith in the lead up weeks.