Are we playing too many oldies?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Are we playing too many oldies?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:If I'm being completely honest, I lack faith in our coach. His selections are bewildering as is his match day coaching. He's a one trick pony. Old school coach that hasn't evolved with the game. Another Brendan McCarthy.
I havent gone that far yet but he worries me. Whenever he talks it is usually banging on about certain player's personality . He seems obsessed with personality traits which are irrelevant. Or he is banging on about effort. He never mentions ball use. You see the Eagles lose and Adam Simpson goes on and on about poor ball use. Richo seems be in denial about the importance of ball use. He goes on on about effort, contested ball and the tackle count. None of these stats help you win games if you cant cant kick and cant handball it and turn it over all the time - even when under no pressure. This is the third year and we wouldnt get a single player in an AFL under 25 side - he should be embarrassed about this. Yet all he wants to talk about is what a great bloke Geary is off field. It is very annoying.
Players not developing is a major concern & the coach is 100% accountable. Another massive concern there. Newnes has developed nicely. Bruce has been rather inconsistent however I'll give his development a tick. The rest have stalled or regressed. Seriously wtf?!

I'm looking forward to the 2016 B&F with Steven winning & Geary, Dempster, Armo, Fisher, Roo, Gilbert & Joey all featuring in the top 10. Obviously not a good sign...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I don't know if the theory is right, Con, but I would think there is evidence to support it. I know from someone itk, that they tried to trade Gilbert, but there were no offers. If we are to progress, we have to be bold. We're not going to make the eight this year, so let's get as many games into McKenzie, Acres, Gresham, Ross, Dunstan et. al. as we possibly can. They are the future.The handling of Tom Lee is bewildering. WE need to know if this guy can play. There was some evidence that he can be useful up forward. Whether he can defend is yet to be determined. Fisher and Dempster have been magnificent, and are still more than useful, but we are not challenging, and they need replacing in the short term. Goddard and Lee anyone?

Anyone could be forgiven for thinking we are flush for forward options, but we're not. Paddy is still developing, Bruce is still a 1/2 season hit, and Rooey, while still commanding the opposition's best defender each week, must also be replaced soon. Lee or Membrey anyone? Perhaps Brenton Payne should've been elevated rather than Holmes. Carlisle will provide immediate relief upon his return. Have you seen the vision of his eight goal game against the dogs? Do yourself a favour. Rooey to the wing or on the ball, perhaps? The time to move the trusted and valued employees into the "managed out" queue is here. It should be done with respect and sensitivity, but done, nevertheless. As for Geary, the theory holds, Con. My itk man reckons he'll get dropped after the coach dies or gets sacked.
Well this was a thoroughly depressing post.

The fact with Gilbert is he hasn't has a good AFL season since 2010 or 2011... Something like that. Not for 4-5 seasons. Make whatever excuses you want... And forumites here have an abundance of them... But the reality is he hasn't played well for pbly half a decade.

Geary though is particularly disheartening. I'm sick of having protected species for players... Jones, Schneider, Gwilt, Gilbert and now Geary.... All played past their prime due to either how they once played, or because of how they could be playing.

Whatever happened to rewarding good form, and dropping players back to the 2s improve their game and fight their way back

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I keep saying it, but AR obviously doesn't agree - Delaney needs to play the FB role, and we should be giving Lee a chance to show his tricks at CHB. If other more experienced guys are coughing the ball up in defence, what are the younger guys going to learn? Still think there is a place in the backline for Fisher - he usually wins his position more often than not - and Dempster is a sensational defensive mark. Geary and Gilbo could go back to Sandy to help the youngsters there.
Paddy should be playing most weeks until he shows signs or wearying - he kicked 7 goals and should've kicked 9 against Box Hill, when they won by 100 points. Roo should not be playing injured - play this week against Colingwood, yes, because it is an important marquee day for the club and he's our spiritual leader, but otherwise he needs to be getting rested to make him more damaging when he is there.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.