Jealous of the cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jealous of the cats

I don't think they're quite a Premiership team this year, but they'll finish Top 2 (because of their draw) and could grab it. I don't think their midfielders, aside from Dangerfield and Selwood, are quite there yet and their back 6 could be suspect.

I reckon we may get them in a Grand Final again sooner than people think. An opportunity for revenge.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They look about as premiership material as anyone else.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well I took a while to face up to it but the Cats are genuine contenders again. No doubts.
Chris Scott under-rated.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:They look about as premiership material as anyone else.
Tend to agree...it's as mediocre a year as I can remember.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How is it more or less mediocre than last year... Or any other year

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Do I need to bump the don't drop the soap thread?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They were a top 8 side before they added 4 players in the 25-27 age group, all of whom are in the very good/excellent category. Add Dangerfield to any midfield and they are going to dominate. Forget A grade, that guys is A+ grade. They have added Smith who was touted as being the next best ruckman in the league when he was drafted by the Suns - why they let him go I have no idea. They also picked up Lachie Henderson who can play at CHB or CHF - Carlton must be spewing that he wanted to leave them, and they even have another Selwood who can fill a tagging role. They can win the Flag because they have plenty of players like Taylor who have been there before and know what's required. Best news of all for them is that they have been able to develop guys like Guthrie and Duncan without having to bottom out, and bring in guys like Stanley and Caddy who can be very good in a strong side with lots of support.
I just hope we can keep Hawkins to under 7 goals next Saturday night and the losing margin respectable.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How is it more or less mediocre than last year... Or any other year
Because there is no obvious standout from a premiership contender point of view. The Bulldogs lost last night by 57 points, but by the time we play them they will have 6 of their best 22 back and they will be better than ever. Big hidings don't necessarily bode ill for finals. Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, the Giants, Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Adelaide could all win the Grand Final this year. If I was to put my neck on the line, I think Sydney might do it, with Geelong the next best chance, but there is no obvious standout in the top 7 teams IMO.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

but how does that equal mediocre... to me, this year is no more or less competitive than 2015... which was similar to 2014 etc...

the under 25s are a year more experienced than last year and better.... the over 25s are a year older and probably slowing...

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Four of Geelong's current back six played in their 2011 Premiership. Three have been AA. While all are past their peak they are still very good. Lachie Henderson is playing his best football. Flags are won with backlines. Pick the team with the best backline and you will at least have one of the Grand Finalists and probably the premiership club.

Our team of 2009 was better that any of the current teams. Alas, we had to come up against Geelong at their peak who were our equal. Two poor umpiring decisions and a fly kick cost us the flag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Four of Geelong's current back six played in their 2011 Premiership. Three have been AA. While all are past their peak they are still very good. Lachie Henderson is playing his best football. Flags are won with backlines. Pick the team with the best backline and you will at least have one of the Grand Finalists and probably the premiership club.

Our team of 2009 was better that any of the current teams. Alas, we had to come up against Geelong at their peak who were our equal. Two poor umpiring decisions and a fly kick cost us the flag.

Having a dud coach who wouldnt give game time to one of our better midfielders didn't help.