Biased Umpires AFL want North win for BoomBooms special game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Biased Umpires AFL want North win for BoomBooms special

thejiggingsaint wrote:CQ SAINT; Sorry, but that is WAY too harsh a description for our boys on saturday night. (IMHO) we were FAR from "pathetic" simply outplayed and outmuscled when it mattered. The players WILL learn valuable lessons from this defeat, the coach and his staff will see to it!
Yeah ok. It must have been the umpires fault. They might have thought giving us a free kick in the forward line was a waste of time. I will correct myself.

Our kicking at goal was pathetic.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:CQ SAINT; Sorry, but that is WAY too harsh a description for our boys on saturday night. (IMHO) we were FAR from "pathetic" simply outplayed and outmuscled when it mattered. The players WILL learn valuable lessons from this defeat, the coach and his staff will see to it!
Yeah ok. It must have been the umpires fault. They might have thought giving us a free kick in the forward line was a waste of time. I will correct myself.

Our kicking at goal was pathetic

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:SaintPav; Malthouse (IMHO) reacted better than Lyon to the draw. malthouse insisted that the Collingwood players and club go to the function held that evening, and to put the draw behind them. Lyon, by contrast, went into survival mode, again in my humble opinion (based on my thoughts at the time)
Who's making comparisons with Lyon?

What MM said in 2010 was just rhetoric but how he BEHAVED in 2011 was pathetic and goes to his credibility...but:

"Comparisons are odious".

aren't they?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

They most certainly are my friend! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (good one!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
To the top
SS Life Member

Yes the umpiring provided a significant advantage to NM - and, in a low scoring, scrappy match possibly a match winning advantage taking to account momentum stifled.

What the match also confirmed (apart from the obvious where 8.3 from set shots instead of 3.8 would have given a different result - and we did have more F50 entries from our endeavours with those misses handing the ball to NM to rebound instead of re-contesting in the centre) was that we were under pressure in the following areas of the match 1) Maintaining a rucking presence when Hickey was off the ground and when their rucks fed their support back and around the contest then forward. This is no fault of Josh Bruce but it is a situation which must be addressed because clearances from ball ups is vital, 2) the lack of key position defenders, where only Petrie had a marking influence but their other key talls each took a couple of (unfortunately telling) marks. Each of Gilbert, Dempster and Roberton battled manfully but were under-sized 3) the absence of a (further) countering marking forward to pressure the NM defence by spreading and isolating them and 4) allowing for the signs shown by Acres and Gresham (who spent time in the centre circle but was found out defensively on occasion), the need for further mid-field support.

We have Longer.

We have Carlisle, Goddard and Fisher.

We have McCartin

We have Freeman (and, granted, if we can find another Steven, that would be superb and icing on the cake).

In regards those named, the fruits of our recruiting from other Clubs at the end of last season are yet to be seen at AFL level (but the reasons we went after those players is most obvious).

IF we can replicate that recruiting, so much the better.

We are in a far, far better place than many in the competition.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The upside is that we are closer to a flag than North Melbourne are.
We are on the rise, they are on the decline.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote:The upside is that we are closer to a flag than North Melbourne are.
We are on the rise, they are on the decline.
That's what I was thinking when we were leaving the ground on Saturday.