Game plan changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: Game plan changes

Seriously this place is like dropping half a dozen cats into a box sometimes. :roll:

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Scollop wrote:I've got another baseless assumption for you
I put it to you; that..<<< MOD EDIT >>>
You are one classy guy. At least we now know what your family business entails though.

Sorry to disappoint you but it was builders laboring and carpentry in my case.
Yeah you're denying it...it was because you fell on it you say

For the Ali G fans
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 09 Sep 2016 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh yes, Mr Sippos. The difference between me and most others on the forum, is that I know Attila. That's all I will say on that, out of respect for Arryn.

It's amazing

If players can just improve an ingrained skill quite easily (ie Geary appantly improved his kicking in a fortnight after 10 years of elite level training?)

Not sure why there are numerous examples of players 28-32 who have had ten years at the top, with elite coaches, who are poor kicks and don't just improve in a linear fashion.

Why can't I just continue to be a better golfer every week?

Why did Tiger Woods lose his swing? Why do people have limitations, if the can just learn new skills very easily.

Why do batsmen have massive form dips in cricket whilst being international standard.

Technique of an open skill gets harder to alter the more the incorrect technique is embedded... Due to the habitual nature of human movement

That's not a revelation... It's common knowledge.

SR
You can argue with me all you like, you can try to discredit,by our can clutch at straws, match my background... In your opinion

But can you say that Nick Riewoldt is a reliable set shot at goal under pressure. He missed many goals this year he should of kicked.
Don't give me quantitative stats either
They don't state
Where the shots were from, how many never made the distance or were OOF, they don't say the game situation.

Again
It's common knowledge that Roo's kicking at goal lets him down... Why?!
It is a HARD skill to develop, let alone change

It must be hard to argue otherwise

I'm done with this... It's like debating an obvious thing

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"Shots at goal under pressure". It's pretty simple. Roo hasn't been reliable when it comes to kicking at goal but he's not a terrible kick like Butcher or Casboult. Without looking at stats I'd guess that this year wouldn't have varied much for him as far as goal-behind ratio is concerned. I mentioned in this thread that the 10 meter rule has helped smart players execute the hook kick ( 90 degree kick ). Roo is definitely a smart player and in years gone by he wasn't as confident with the kick because he didn't have as much time to settle. It's not that he couldn't kick them He probably kicked hundreds at training, but the drop punt was his go to because it was seen as lower risk and more routine in games

Have a look at a few of our games from years gone by and you'll see Roo kick the StevieJ style hook kick (the one you wrongly call a banana). SRS is also confusing Roo's mobility and improvement in his knee in the last couple of years with a change or improvement in Rooy's skills. I think Roo has enjoyed his footy more this year and no doubt the knee would've given him some confidence and the team improving as a whole would have helped too.

Roo recently kicked 9 but it was against Brisbane and the avalanche of goals for him came late with most in the last quarter in junk time. He is touted as the best ever Number 1 draft pick. Roo is elite in many ways and that's why he's a legend but he certainly won't be remebered as a legend for his goal kicking

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The less reliance on him as a goal kicker has taken a bit of pressure off... The hook kick as you call it, takes the pressure off a bit... As its not a straight forward kick and a more natural play on kick than the 'over the mark' drop punt.

Travis Cloke and Joe Daniher are better from 50+ than 20-40

Roo from 30-40m out is still dodgy

No doubt

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Anyway back to game plan
Teams will be working out other teams plans
I am certain I heard Clarkson and other coaches say how the plan can change as regularly as 6 each weeks.

Players can no longer 'play the same way' for all their career or even a year, they need to be able to take on board new moves
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 10 Sep 2016 8:21am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Aggressive us of the ball off half back... And using a 3-3 set up rather than 5 and an extra,

We defended small.
I'd say more of a full press with a half pike twist employing a 2-4-6-8 'give me an R'......'Give me an E...' round stoppages :D

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Anyway back to game plan
Trams will be working out other teams plans
I am certain I heard Clarkson and other coaches say how the plan can change as regularly as 6 each weeks.

Players can no longer 'play the same way' for all their career or even a year, they need to be able to take on board new moves
Ive heard of these 'smart trams'......impressive stuff!!

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Anyway back to game plan
Trams will be working out other teams plans

Ive heard of these 'smart trams'......impressive stuff!!
:wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
supersaints
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Oh yes, Mr Sippos. The difference between me and most others on the forum, is that I know Attila. That's all I will say on that, out of respect for Arryn.

It's amazing

If players can just improve an ingrained skill quite easily (ie Geary appantly improved his kicking in a fortnight after 10 years of elite level training?)

Not sure why there are numerous examples of players 28-32 who have had ten years at the top, with elite coaches, who are poor kicks and don't just improve in a linear fashion.

Why can't I just continue to be a better golfer every week?

Why did Tiger Woods lose his swing? Why do people have limitations, if the can just learn new skills very easily.

Why do batsmen have massive form dips in cricket whilst being international standard.

Technique of an open skill gets harder to alter the more the incorrect technique is embedded... Due to the habitual nature of human movement

1: You couldn't be a better golfer, could you, as you claim to have better putting averages than the best PGA touring players ( even though you don't know a putt from put) are you a putting coach??

2: Tiger Woods wife hit over the head by his three iron was probably the shot that changed golf history the most. He like a lot of major sportsmen develop mental demos, he's had seven different coaches it's pure mental. It would seem your the only person without limitations

3 EVERY sportsman has form dips ( exept you of course) it's just relevant to the standard being played

It's wonder you get up people's noses ....

Tell you what golf pro, I'm willing to play you for $100 per hole, I will fly to Melbourne and you pay my expenses if I loose or you fly to Tassy if you like and I'll pay your expenses at Barnboogle dunes if you win. Well also have $500 on every putt ( or put as you call them)

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

Posted took early that's $500 on every putt you miss over 10 feet seeing you don't miss and are so good you should make a killing shouldn't you... Got the nerve or the talent ? Let's really see how good you are....

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm... Super saint

Did I mention I was a golf pro??

Your post is just completely about me, childish abuse which is an indication of you

The facination about me suggesting I knowing a bit about sport because I have been involved with sport my whole life

Is only from those who haven't

Most wouldn't care

Do you have an opinion on the topic... Or do you just want to focus on me?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Posted took early that's $500 on every putt you miss over 10 feet seeing you don't miss and are so good you should make a killing shouldn't you... Got the nerve or the talent ? Let's really see how good you are....
You must be a good golfer supersaint. What is your handicap?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: between me and most others on the forum, is that I know Attila. That's all I will say on that, out of respect for Arryn.

It's amazing
Yes you are ...
BigMart wrote:

But can you say
Well I could, but I never did
BigMart wrote:
that Nick Riewoldt is a reliable set shot at goal under pressure. He missed many goals this year he should of kicked.
Don't give me quantitative stats either
They don't state
Where the shots were from, how many never made the distance or were OOF, they don't say the game situation.
BigMart 101 again: When wrong restate the matter under discussion.

Once again I said that Roo had acquired the ability the kick the banana kick on goal reliably,and that earlier in his career he could not execute this kick well.

Once again as classic BigMart 101 you restate this as "But can you say that Nick Riewoldt is a reliable set shot at goal under pressure". I NEVER stated this.

On Geary I said that he had improved IMO in the last two thirds of the season. Once again in BigMart 101 you try and restate this as no-on can improve their kicking action in 2 weeks. For someone that claims to be a god of football you seem oblivious that it may well have been poor decision-making rather than poor kicking execution by Geary (either through self-realisation, or by coaching advice) to alter his game as to why he is making less of the huge disposal "clangers turnovers" that we all used to witness almost weekly from him but which he eradicated from his game in the last two thirds of the season.

Now if you actually want to discuss what I asked or actually stated, then go for it. But please desist from posting that I have stated things I have not and then mounting arguments to counter this fiction.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why didn't it improve in the first 10 years of his career?

BTW
My 8 year old son can execute the 'banana kick' as you call it. It's not very difficult for an elite athlete I guess?!

It does get him away from the ingrained problem he finds VERY DIFFICULT to address

Here's some BigMart 101
Have some clue before spruiking ...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why didn't it improve in the first 10 years of his career?

BTW
My 8 year old son can execute the 'banana kick' as you call it. It's not very difficult for an elite athlete I guess?!
There is no need to guess. We are only discussing the one player and the games have been played. It is either he did or did not.

The question was did Roo execute the banana kick on goal early in his career in AFL games successfully and repeatedly and can he now late in his career execute it successfully?

If it did improve, then the "why" is a second but different question which I did not ask.

Whether your son can do it is irrelevant.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It'd be interesting to analyse clangers and effective disposal numbers with all players for their first 50 games versus their next 50. I doubt that they're spending time 'learning' how to kick and how to habdball in that time. The intangible thing called confidence can be gained gradually and the mental aspect can't be ignored. Sometimes confidence can be stalled or lost through fitness and sometimes lost through injury.

Assuming that players (in general) are more effective with their disposal skills in their games after the first 50, what is it that might make the difference? Is it the extra pre-seasons and the fitness base building? Is it the experience and the ability to adapt to to the pace and the game plan? Is it the ability to prepare well and handle the physicality and do the work required in recovery? Is it a players natural development and their ability to cope with the expectation and the pressure?

With Gears; he feels like he know belongs. I believe with games experience ( after Lyon left as coach) and with the extra fitness base he's naturally improved and although he's always learning how to defend ( through playing on different forwards and through watching other experienced defenders and talking to other experienced defenders ) there's a big difference between saying he's learning new 'tricks of the trade' as opposed to saying he's improved his skills.

With Rooy; his injury definitely hurt his confidence when kicking for goal.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It is relevant

It demonstrates how easy it is to learn.

You missed the point anyway

If he only started taking those as set shots this year ... It's not a skill he's improving... But developing

His drop punt kicking at goal is embedded And difficult to change... The action, not run up
He kicked 700 goals... Most with a drop punt... Missed about 500 mostly with a drop punt
Then there's the shots at training ... The shots at goal From 9-18yo
He's probably kicked 50 000 drop punts
Changing his natural technique would be very difficult

I know you'll get it one day

I've never said learning a new skill is impossible (although this is not a foreign skill)
I've said improving an imbedded incorrect technique takes up to 150 hours of continual practice of each single mechanical alteration

It's not rocket science

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geary has always been a good player... He is very confident

Just not a reliable kick

There are 2 parts to disposal

1-picking the right option
2-executing

If you do #1 better it make #2 easier
Experience helps game sense

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Everyone,

Please leave out the personal jabs and bickering. This thread is in 'Locked' territory. Am not going to go through and move every post that includes a personal jab to the AE. Please just stick to the topic and stop the chest beating about the intelligence, sporting prowess or anything else snide about other posters.
It's really tedious. Thanks.

supersaints
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Hmmm... Super saint

Did I mention I was a golf pro??

Your post is just completely about me, childish abuse which is an indication of you

The facination about me suggesting I knowing a bit about sport because I have been involved with sport my whole life

Is only from those who haven't

Most wouldn't care

Do you have an opinion on the topic... Or do you just want to focus on me?
BM Your the one who makes the post about you ...on almost every occasion, whenever you have an opportunity this is a footy forum , everyone is entitled to an opinion, and not be subjected to my Wanger is bigger than yours. Were did I abuse you on this post? I thought just challenged you to game of golf.

Yes , You never said you were a golf pro (I know your not .. Or as I said on another topic you may know the difference between putt and put if you were ) However in the very same topic you claimed you sink more ten footers than you miss ....that's better than the best in the world !!

This puts (pun intended) you ahead of all PGA tour pros full stop .... No contradiction

Here i your modest golfing prowess is from one if your posts

BM quote: "Holing a 10 footer is obviously harder than kicking a goal from 35m... I don't think you should miss from that distance. I saw every put under 6ft as ones I should make everyday of the week.... 6-10ft I would drop on a good day more often than not, on a bad day miss my share... Outside that, you're happy if you make it... Take a 2 put if not.

Played footy for a long time, play golf still (off 8 abtm) ... Also played grade cricket for near on 25 years...

I've no fascination with you....

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes you do... To be so worried/focussed on my background is obsession

If I don't care

Why make such an effort to reference me

Pathetic

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Have requested twice in this thread for people so stop bickering and personal jibing. But the same posters carry on with it. Guys it's really really boring for people who just want to talk about the footy or discuss stuff without insult and attack.
Enrico, sorry your thread has been hijacked. Try starting a new one on the same topic if you want to.

Locked.