Am I the only one that doesn't rate the dogs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Am I the only one that doesn't rate the dogs?

I forgot about Crameri ... so you can argue that they have 4 certain "ins" next year.
The Bulldogs have had their share of bad luck due to injury - I thought it would bring them unstuck - we took advantage of the fact that Johanissen (I think?) missed the game against us - it's also disruptive losing and replacing regular players due to injury.
We got them when they were at their most vulnerable, perhaps - but we do match up well.

...and despite the injuries to their regular players, they still had the luxury to leave Stevens and Jong out of the team in the Grand Final!?

But, I think most people have GWS as the best side (at least "on paper").

citywest

skeptic wrote:
citywest wrote:
skeptic wrote:I read these threads here and at BF about them going back to back and how they're scary good and I don't get it.

They're a decent team absolutely. Can beat anyone of their day but by the same token they're very beatable too.

IIRC they finished what? 6th in the home and away season? IMO that's more or less where they're at... among the better teams.

Come September and credit where credit is due they turned it on and played their best footy of the season though in my opinion they got a lot of help final 2 games.

How big are ppl on them?
I'm not sure if your post is sour grapes or just pure delusion. Probably a bit of both I would have thought. St Kilda will have its day soon. Maybe 2017 could be our year but more than likely it will be either 2019 or 2020. Happy New Year skeptic!!!!
So you think that they're an unstoppable force... heavy favourites for the flag.

Interesting
Where did I say they are an 'unstoppable force... heavy favourites for the flag'?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Top teams win premierships- you need everyone giving their max including the GOPs. Makes our last few attempts look bad where we were waiting on a couple of our bigger names to to turn it on, but they mostly went missing, and our GOPs went missing too. The Dogs have great team sprit and belief and the best coach as well.

citywest

spert wrote:Top teams win premierships- you need everyone giving their max including the GOPs. Makes our last few attempts look bad where we were waiting on a couple of our bigger names to to turn it on, but they mostly went missing, and our GOPs went missing too. The Dogs have great team sprit and belief and the best coach as well.
Definitely not the best coach. The most blessed coach...yes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Top teams win premierships- you need everyone giving their max including the GOPs. Makes our last few attempts look bad where we were waiting on a couple of our bigger names to to turn it on, but they mostly went missing, and our GOPs went missing too. The Dogs have great team sprit and belief and the best coach as well.
So Lenny, BJ and Roo went missing in the drawn GF?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Definitely not the best coach. The most blessed coach...yes.
He's a premiership coach but thought he was a bit of a sook during the year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
skeptic wrote:
citywest wrote:
skeptic wrote:I read these threads here and at BF about them going back to back and how they're scary good and I don't get it.

They're a decent team absolutely. Can beat anyone of their day but by the same token they're very beatable too.

IIRC they finished what? 6th in the home and away season? IMO that's more or less where they're at... among the better teams.

Come September and credit where credit is due they turned it on and played their best footy of the season though in my opinion they got a lot of help final 2 games.

How big are ppl on them?
I'm not sure if your post is sour grapes or just pure delusion. Probably a bit of both I would have thought. St Kilda will have its day soon. Maybe 2017 could be our year but more than likely it will be either 2019 or 2020. Happy New Year skeptic!!!!
So you think that they're an unstoppable force... heavy favourites for the flag.

Interesting
Where did I say they are an 'unstoppable force... heavy favourites for the flag'?
My initial post criticised that they were "scary good" and suggested they were beatable

You called me delusional with sour grapes. So therefore...

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Our most under rated grand final player would have to be Jason Gram. He played well in all three grand finals of what I remember.
Should have been Norm smith against Geelong. Same amount of points.
Also left his man in the dying stages of the first game against Collingwood to thwart a counter attack.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Our most under rated grand final player would have to be Jason Gram. He played well in all three grand finals of what I remember.
Also left his man in the dying stages of the first game against Collingwood to thwart a counter attack.
I thought he was really average in both...
11 disposals in the draw
14 in the replay

In fact I was certain he wasn't properly fit to be playing.

That said, he was a beast in the 2009 GF

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I thought he was really average in both...
11 disposals in the draw
14 in the replay

In fact I was certain he wasn't properly fit to be playing.

That said, he was a beast in the 2009 GF

saint64
Club Player

samoht wrote:I forgot about Crameri ... so you can argue that they have 4 certain "ins" next year.
The Bulldogs have had their share of bad luck due to injury - I thought it would bring them unstuck - we took advantage of the fact that Johanissen (I think?) missed the game against us - it's also disruptive losing and replacing regular players due to injury.
We got them when they were at their most vulnerable, perhaps - but we do match up well.

...and despite the injuries to their regular players, they still had the luxury to leave Stevens and Jong out of the team in the Grand Final!?

But, I think most people have GWS as the best side (at least "on paper").
We were winning when they had the injuries during the game, so beating the team that went on to take the premiership was a pretty fair effort.

the dome
Club Player

2016 Dogs - Proactive Surge Masters

I felt that the unified team achievement of the Dogs across 4 quarters in their finals outings showed enormous discipline, belief and positivity. The grand final in particular showed a galvanised group that maintained their belief for the entirity of the game. I couldn't actually believe what I was witnessing. Before the game I thought the Dogs would produce a seriously good effort on grand final day and back up their wonderful performances leading into the big one. But I believed the swans would out muscle the Dogs come the last quarter & produce another premiership in this successful era they are enjoying. However the way Beveridge & the Dogs players worked together was a remarkable thing to see. At 3 Qrt. time on the tv coverage I noticed a gesture Beveridge was making in front of his players . Beveridge was looking like he was mimicking a turtle or something - standing with legs bent @ the knees with arms held out in front & with elbows pointing out to the sides as if holding an over-sized beach ball while saying something to the players. I got the impression that he was saying do not let them push you off the ball, be closest to the ball for as much of the final qrt. as you can manage. Anyway it looked like a simple but clear direction that the players were able to deliver.
The physical strength of the Swans was matched by the young Dogs.
I think the Dogs can make another pre-lim in 2017 and give themselves the chance of tripling their premiership haul by the end of 2017 from the sole premiership they had chalked up by the end of 2015.

Last Spring's Dogs' win will give extra hope and belief to plenty of other clubs.
I believe our Saints will also be believing a bit more for season 2017. :)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Heard on the radio that Inside Footy are doing a thing on why teams that snatch a premiership earlier than expected in their build often struggle the next year. I guess its due to a premiership hangover being hard to manage by young players getting ahead of themselves. But also a lot of things coming together in an almost magical way that is hard to replicate.

shrodes
SS Life Member

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-1 ... experience
St Kilda is ranked No. 10 for average experience at 63 games, well below the most experienced team in the AFL West Coast (85 games) – who have been inflated by the recruitment of 300-gamers Sam Mitchell and Drew Petrie – while last year’s premiers, Western Bulldogs, average only one more game of experience compared to St Kilda.
Quite remarkable by the Dogs given their lack of experience. We are not far behind them in that respect.