Kelly and May

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kelly and May

Most of the boys taken from the U/18's come from private schools. This is because they are mostly on scholarships. You get a good mix of all classes where the scholarships are concerned. Many of the indigenous boys such as Cyril Rioli have been the beneficiaries of the private schoolboy system. Like LL, I'm an old boy of St.Bede's. We had lots of scallywags amongst our lot and the brothers actively encouraged the 'fighting catholics' mantra. I remember a play off for the title against North Melbourne CBC was the most violent game I ever played in, and I played in plenty in the following years.

Even in the lower reaches of the Ammos, in the early 80's, when we regularly came up against the likes of Parkside, Thomastown, Fawkner, all the Brunswicks and various strains of Heidelberg, we more than held our own. The exception was Old Geelong. They hated playing us. We used them for practice for the big boys. It sure was handy being a copper and a boxer in those days.
Last edited by White Winmar on Sat 03 Jun 2017 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Kelly looking a million bucks today. Maybe even 1.2 million bucks

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
BigMart wrote:Hmm

And they've got to want to leave the most talented list in the afl
Homesickness can be a significant factor. Also, have you ever been to Western Sydney BM?
Arsehole of the world. Well at least Australia.
:lol:
You're being polite.

Well, conservative.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I desperately want to get Josh Kelly.

But I don't want us to become some private school boy club. This is what held Melbourne back for decades.
Pretty bigoted remark, don't you think con?
Not bigoted at all.
I handnt realised private school boys were in a minority group requiring protection?
My point is I want Kelly because he is a very good player. Not because he is mates with someone.

So no. It's not bigoted at all.
Explain how it is.
I suggest you maybe educate yourself in the word 'bigot' because you have a pretty unsophisticated and self serving view on using the word.
Ridiculous accusation. I reject it entirely.
Private School boys are probably in the majority here, there are a few of us from St Bedes and let me assure you (that in my day at least) we were harder than any Public Schoolboys, in life and sport.

You have on a number of occasions inferred that private school boys are soft, particularly in relation to Jack Billings (who is far from soft). I'd be happy with a list of predominantly private school boys. I'd then be confident that they understood the Coach's instructions, were less likely to give up and weren't worried about being gender fluid. :D
De la boy myself mate. And you are quite right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:

But I don't want us to become some private school boy club. This is what held Melbourne back for decades.
Not bigoted at all.
I handnt realised private school boys were in a minority group requiring protection?
My point is I want Kelly because he is a very good player. Not because he is mates with someone.

Explain how it is.
I suggest you maybe educate yourself in the word 'bigot' because you have a pretty unsophisticated and self serving view on using the word.

You can reject it all you like and throw whatever insult my way to boot. Doesn't change the fact that your remarks were bigoted.
if that makes you a bigot so be it.
Your comments were pretty stupid in any event. We will leave ignorance out of it.

"Definition of bigot. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 03 Jun 2017 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Most of the boys taken from the U/18's come from private schools. This is because they are mostly on scholarships. You get a good mix of all classes where the scholarships are concerned. Many of the indigenous boys such as Cyril Rioli have been the beneficiaries of the private schoolboy system. Like LL, I'm an old boy of St.Bede's. We had lots of scallywags amongst our lot and the brothers actively encouraged the 'fighting catholics' mantra. I remember a play off for the title against North Melbourne CBC was the most violent game I ever played in, and I played in plenty in the following years.

Even in the lower reaches of the Ammos, in the early 80's, when we regularly came up against the likes of Parkside, Thomastown, Fawkner, all the Brunswicks and various strains of Heidelberg, we more than held our own. The exception was Old Geelong. They hated playing us. We used them for practice for the big boys. It sure was handy being a copper and a boxer in those days.
Yep. I represented the Soccer team at St Bede's and in one particularly fierce contest against CBC, I fouled the opponents best player (who played top flight including the Australian Youth Team). In fact I ignored the ball and completely took out his legs from behind, resulting in a nasty injury for my opponent. I should have been sent off but god knows what the Ref saw and only a free kick was awarded against me although my intention had been to end his game and I did.

As CBC were still establishing whether or not he had a pulse as he lay on the ground, the Head Master Brother Bill summoned me to the touch line. I must say I thought I was in strife and that perhaps a Saturday morning detention was looming. Brother Bill says to me "I think you've killed the lad", my response was "Um" and then he added "well done, good work".

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Most of the boys taken from the U/18's come from private schools. This is because they are mostly on scholarships. You get a good mix of all classes where the scholarships are concerned. Many of the indigenous boys such as Cyril Rioli have been the beneficiaries of the private schoolboy system. Like LL, I'm an old boy of St.Bede's. We had lots of scallywags amongst our lot and the brothers actively encouraged the 'fighting catholics' mantra. I remember a play off for the title against North Melbourne CBC was the most violent game I ever played in, and I played in plenty in the following years.

Yep. I represented the Soccer team at St Bede's and in one particularly fierce contest against CBC, I fouled the opponents best player (who played top flight including the Australian Youth Team). In fact I ignored the ball and completely took out his legs from behind, resulting in a nasty injury for my opponent. I should have been sent off but god knows what the Ref saw and only a free kick was awarded against me although my intention had been to end his game and I did.

As CBC were still establishing whether or not he had a pulse as he lay on the ground, the Head Master Brother Bill summoned me to the touch line. I must say I thought I was in strife and that perhaps a Saturday morning detention was looming. Brother Bill says to me "I think you've killed the lad", my response was "Um" and then he added "well done, good work".
That makes me feel a whole lot better about the private school thing, with Billings and Sinclair and others. I did think those 2 were not really the Stan Magro types, but if you say
catholic school guys are rugged, then good, they can take on any garbage dished out by other teams

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I well remember playing against St Bedes in that late 50's and early 60's.

On one trip down Warrigul road some clown ran into the back of our car driven by my mother.

No one was hurt and I think I played okay but put the damper on the day.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We had to go hard, SW. There wasn't a lot of love around for the Catholics in my playing days. Then there were the brothers who didn't mind dishing out the corporal punishment. As the Pythons would say, "We had it toof." Then again, my son went through the private school system and things have changed dramatically. He played school footy and nd junior footy with a number of Now AFL players. The private school system is almost a junior academy system now, drawing on all socio economic groups.

If we want to go back in time to those who made you look over your shoulder, ask Loris about the Jordy Tech boys. Thank goodness we never had to play them! They put butterflies in your stomach and broken capillaries in your subcutaneous tissues! Still, playing in the old federal league, you had your Noble Parks and Oakleigh Districts, with Rhys Jones, Stevie Wright and Capper, who was a fool even as a fifteen year old! Highett fortunately inherited all the former Port Melbourne crowd. Happy days!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

OK, this thread is now officially derailed.

Kelly got 38 touches for the Wogans so it looks like his price is strengthening as we speak

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Junior
Club Player

I played St Bedes old boys in the Amos. Kicked four against them late in the season played them round one the following season got a goal in the first minute bent over to pick up the ball a minute or so later and never played again.

Never been hit so hard in my life, broken nose, cheek bone and eye socket as well as a damaged nerve, attended a private and a public school played junior football in Dandenong junior football league and the private school boys were just as tough.

Con is a repeat offender with his dislike for private schools, if the issue was about recruiting people because they are mates then what school they are from is irrelevant.

Think we have the following private school boys on the list

Gresahm Parade College
Freeman Haileybury
Billings Scotch
Newnes Ivanhoe
Montagna Marcellin
Long Melbourne Grammar
Brown St Pats
Goddard Melbourne Grammar
Battle Haileybury
Phillips Caulfield
McCartin Geelong Grammar
Sinclair Scotch
McKenzie caulfield
Pierce Haileybury

As noted elsewhere in the thread socio economic doe not matter as the guns will get a scholarship, think the numbers will only increase on AFL lists in the future.

Was at a game between Peninsula and Camberwell Brett Lovett was coaching one team and Dean Laidley the other so the schools are investing in their footy programmes, no coincidence the recent number private school boys that have gone pick one.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:I played St Bedes old boys in the Amos. Kicked four against them late in the season played them round one the following season got a goal in the first minute bent over to pick up the ball a minute or so later and never played again.

Never been hit so hard in my life, broken nose, cheek bone and eye socket as well as a damaged nerve, attended a private and a public school played junior football in Dandenong junior football league and the private school boys were just as tough.

Con is a repeat offender with his dislike for private schools, if the issue was about recruiting people because they are mates then what school they are from is irrelevant.

Think we have the following private school boys on the list

Gresahm Parade College
Freeman Haileybury
Billings Scotch
Newnes Ivanhoe
Montagna Marcellin
Long Melbourne Grammar
Brown St Pats
Goddard Melbourne Grammar
Battle Haileybury
Phillips Caulfield
McCartin Geelong Grammar
Sinclair Scotch
McKenzie caulfield
Pierce Haileybury

As noted elsewhere in the thread socio economic doe not matter as the guns will get a scholarship, think the numbers will only increase on AFL lists in the future.

Was at a game between Peninsula and Camberwell Brett Lovett was coaching one team and Dean Laidley the other so the schools are investing in their footy programmes, no coincidence the recent number private school boys that have gone pick one.
I certainly am a repeat offender and I will continue to offend on this. Don't you worry about that junior.

Mostly it is because recruiters are lazy and private schools have an organised system and the players are under the nose of recruiters week in and week out.
Obviously scholarships play a role as well. I dont disagree with that. E.g. Tom Hawkins is actually from Finley High NSW near Wagga Wagga - but because he spent a few years at Geelong on a scholarship everyone claims he is a private school boy from Geelong. He really isnt from anywhere near Geelong. Plenty of examples like this.

Obviously the player is ALREADY a gun before they get the scholarship - so to claim private schools are producing lots of AFL players is simply nonsense. Clayton Oliver couldnt even make the U18 state squad ffs. What a joke. There is a clear bias v country kids because they arent under your nose every week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We certainly get more value for our draft picks from the country.

Geary (and Joel Selwood - Catholic College Bendigo) = Rookie PIck
Seb Ross (St Pats Ballarat) = Pick 25
Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy) = pick 42
Jack Steven (HIs wikipedia says he went to 'Northfield Grammar' which is past Lorne - but I can find no evidence this school exists?....) = pick 42

shrodes
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:OK, this thread is now officially derailed.

Kelly got 38 touches for the Wogans so it looks like his price is strengthening as we speak
38 and 1.1 @ 86% DE. The kid would win us games of his own boot.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:

The 9 million is probably about right.

longtimesaint
Club Player

shrodes wrote:

He might even win the Brownlow -what would that do to his price?

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not bigoted at all.

Explain how it is.

You can reject it all you like and throw whatever insult my way to boot. Doesn't change the fact that your remarks were bigoted.
Your comments were pretty stupid in any event. We will leave ignorance out of it.

"Definition of bigot. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
Its a 'fact' is it?
On what basis? You dont even know what the word meands for starters.
You also dont seem bright enough to follow my argument or why I object to the private school marketing bing pushed.
It is merely a marketing strategy.
My issue is that the schools are not production lines for AFL players.
They are simply dishing out a few scholarships to players who are ALREADY guns who come from hundreds of kms away in some instances.

Here is another example similar to the Tom Hawkins one.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/c ... ademy-star

Add to that - seeing i went to a private school - how is it 'bigoted'?

Ill say it agin for you. If pick a player because he is a good player - i dont give two s***s what school what they went to.
What irks me is when people come on saying - oh lets get play A because he is great mates from the private school as player B.
That s***s me. And if you think that is 'bigoted' I suggest you enrol is some remedial english courses because a bigot is defined as

"a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Ill ask again - what is bigoted about my anti private school stance when it comes to recruiting?

Explain yourself because it is plain obvious you dont understand the common meaning or use of the word.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Con, I suggested the friendships were a bonus when it came to recruiting. In a competitive environment, where the financial rewards are similar wherever you go, any variable could put you in pole position. I want Kelly because he's a proven gun, who at 22 has lots of improvement in him. Scary. First, we have to show him we are capable of future success.,easier said than done, given our first ten rounds. Next is the money, which we have in spades. Last are the confounding variables, such as club culture, lifestyle, proximity to relatives and existing relationships (mates). Private schooling doesn't come into it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

That sounds totally believable, coming from Brother William Firman. Gave me a three day holiday for my part in the North Melbourne CBC bloodbath. Did so with a wink and an "we did win the flag, though!" Ended up as principal of De La Salle, the traitor, Saynta! :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Con, I suggested the friendships were a bonus when it came to recruiting. In a competitive environment, where the financial rewards are similar wherever you go, any variable could put you in pole position. I want Kelly because he's a proven gun, who at 22 has lots of improvement in him. Scary. First, we have to show him we are capable of future success.,easier said than done, given our first ten rounds. Next is the money, which we have in spades. Last are the confounding variables, such as club culture, lifestyle, proximity to relatives and existing relationships (mates). Private schooling doesn't come into it.
Met someone from a private school once.

He had two heads.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
minneapolis
Club Player

saynta wrote:I well remember playing against St Bedes in that late 50's and early 60's.

On one trip down Warrigul road some clown ran into the back of our car driven by my mother.

It was a long time ago, Saynta, I know but it has been bothering me recently. I have to apologise. I was distracted listening to the radio (Elvis I think on 3DB) and I hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Please tell your Mum it was not her fault (though she did brake unnecessarily). I did learn my lesson though. It was the one and only time I hit somebody from behind.

I hope you can forgive me.

The Guilty Driver.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not bigoted at all.

Explain how it is.

Its a 'fact' is it?
On what basis? You dont even know what the word meands for starters.
You also dont seem bright enough to follow my argument or why I object to the private school marketing bing pushed.
It is merely a marketing strategy.
My issue is that the schools are not production lines for AFL players.
They are simply dishing out a few scholarships to players who are ALREADY guns who come from hundreds of kms away in some instances.

Here is another example similar to the Tom Hawkins one.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/c ... ademy-star

Add to that - seeing i went to a private school - how is it 'bigoted'?

Ill say it agin for you. If pick a player because he is a good player - i dont give two s***s what school what they went to.
What irks me is when people come on saying - oh lets get play A because he is great mates from the private school as player B.
That s***s me. And if you think that is 'bigoted' I suggest you enrol is some remedial english courses because a bigot is defined as

"a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Ill ask again - what is bigoted about my anti private school stance when it comes to recruiting?

Explain yourself because it is plain obvious you dont understand the common meaning or use of the word.
LOL.
You need to go back to school and get an education .

That's just for starters.

Then you need to get a clue.

I have an education, you obviously do not.

And you are still a bigot. Wrong as well.

None of the League footballers I went to school with would have been on scholarships either.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 04 Jun 2017 8:12pm, edited 2 times in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

That sounds totally believable, coming from Brother William Firman. Gave me a three day holiday for my part in the North Melbourne CBC bloodbath. Did so with a wink and an "we did win the flag, though!" Ended up as principal of De La Salle, the traitor, Saynta! :D
Indeed it was Brother William Firman, he looked quite stern when he called me over, I thought I'd gone too far, thankfully I got a 'well done' from him. Unfortunately, we were trailing 2-1 when I monstered him and it remained 2-1. It was a cracking game though.

Another time the usual soccer Coach was away. A certain PE Teacher of Korean descent (who invented all sorts of torture for students he caught smoking) stood in for him. I'll never forget his pre-game instructions, which would probably have him arrested nowadays, he closed his pep talk with a demand that we must be willing to die for the School! :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
saynta wrote:I well remember playing against St Bedes in that late 50's and early 60's.

It was a long time ago, Saynta, I know but it has been bothering me recently. I have to apologise. I was distracted listening to the radio (Elvis I think on 3DB) and I hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Please tell your Mum it was not her fault (though she did brake unnecessarily). I did learn my lesson though. It was the one and only time I hit somebody from behind.

I hope you can forgive me.

The Guilty Driver.
Don't think so mate.
You would have to be nearly a hundred.
If you insist, tell me what kind of car was my mother driving.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Indeed it was Brother William Firman, he looked quite stern when he called me over, I thought I'd gone too far, thankfully I got a 'well done' from him. Unfortunately, we were trailing 2-1 when I monstered him and it remained 2-1. It was a cracking game though.

Another time the usual soccer Coach was away. A certain PE Teacher of Korean descent (who invented all sorts of torture for students he caught smoking) stood in for him. I'll never forget his pre-game instructions, which would probably have him arrested nowadays, he closed his pep talk with a demand that we must be willing to die for the School! :D
I went to school with a billy firman.

He may even have been school captain from memory.

How old would you brother firman be these days?

Must be the same guy.

Met him a couple of years ago. Had put on a bit of weight.

Think he was in my brothers class.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 04 Jun 2017 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.