Would you back me?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would you back me?

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:57pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:51pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:49pm Happy to be challenged on my thinking.

It’s clear to me that there would be plenty of consternation and hurdles that are probably insurmountable for a ‘mere pleb’... but at least there is a desire for an alternative option to the current crew.

That’s all I’m taking out of this.
FWIW, I don't think you even know what the problem is - let alone how to fix it.

And therein lies the problem with your pitch.
I can tell you the problem Rodger.

We are being run into the ground by a Board that are mere puppets for the AFL because we are financially stuffed.

We’ve now lost our soul, are completely rudderless, and it is now costing us our long serving, long suffering fans’ attention and willingness to spend dollars.

Our football is disgraceful, and we stand for nothing of substance.

We will lose clout with the media, sponsors and members.

It’s a dangerous death spiral we are on.

THAT is the problem. And installing passionate St.Kilda people to represent and re-engage the fans is the ONLY way out of this.

That good enough for you?

Please do let me know if I’ve missed the point....
No, that's the not the problem.

That's the symptom.

You need to identify the problem, before you attempt to fix it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:26pm

And as for your final paragraph, what a load of ignorant s***.
Too right.

Obviously the whole thing is fanciful, but I just disregard even things that may have merit after reading that kind of backwards drivel.

ss1986 are you going to personally tell Roo he and Maddie’s Match can go GTFO?
:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ss1986
Club Player

It’s not a ‘symptom’ that we currently stand for nothing Rodger.

It’s the EXACT bloody problem.

Whatever came first, it is now absolutely the problem.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:32pm
asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:29pm do u have any connection personally or via 'your' people with
Shostack , Sali , Tascone , Swisse or Chemist Warehouse
No- but the nature of my role means I deal with CFOs and family owners of multinationals on a daily basis.

That’s not bluster- just a fact and something we could potentially use to our advantage.

re #7

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

City Group

the yank bankers
the canberran cleaners
the bangladeshi mob
or another crowd ?

you wrote
"... at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment '

examine ???

without 'it' ... whats the point of your challenge ?
how do u execute 'change' ?

the other crowd i mentioned ... shostacks crew ... already have Swisse and Chemist Wharehouse
entwined into the AFL graveytrain

would it not be in St Kilda's interest for its membership to back in the dude with the momey
over the dude with the hope of the money
should it come to tipping out the current mob ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ss1986
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:07pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:32pm
asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:29pm do u have any connection personally or via 'your' people with
No- but the nature of my role means I deal with CFOs and family owners of multinationals on a daily basis.

That’s not bluster- just a fact and something we could potentially use to our advantage.

re #7

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

City Group

the yank bankers
the canberran cleaners
the bangladeshi mob
or another crowd ?

you wrote
"... at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment '

examine ???

without 'it' ... whats the point of your challenge ?
how do u execute 'change' ?

the other crowd i mentioned ... shostacks crew ... already have Swisse and Chemist Wharehouse
entwined into the AFL graveytrain

would it not be in St Kilda's interest for its membership to back in the dude with the momey
over the dude with the hope of the money
should it come to tipping out the current mob ?
Asiu, I try desperately hard to understand what you are saying, but sometimes struggle.

I would be the first to say though that if there was an interested party, with significant dollars behind them, who had the passion to run the club like a supporter would, then yes, absolutely they should be backed.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:06pm It’s not a ‘symptom’ that we currently stand for nothing Rodger.

?

So if the club stands for something (whatever that even means) we will start winning games?

Just to confirm, your thinking is that we suck because we are 'arm in arm' with the AFL? And that we should metaphorically flip them the bird and go it alone?

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:10pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:06pm It’s not a ‘symptom’ that we currently stand for nothing Rodger.

?

So if the club stands for something (whatever that even means) we will start winning games?

Just to confirm, your thinking is that we suck because we are 'arm in arm' with the AFL? And that we should metaphorically flip them the bird and go it alone?
In short, yes.

I am only hazarding a guess that supporters would be far less willing to support a passionless club that is simply an AFL-run, make-up-the-numbers also-ran, where win/loss ratio means f.all so long as we turn a dime;

Over a club that is absolutely hellbent on doing everything possible to fly the flag that we can all be proud of.... and achieve the ultimate success.

ss1986
Club Player

I’d rather St.Kilda have a go and die than be braindead on permanent life support

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:15pm

In short, yes.

I am only hazarding a guess that supporters would be far less willing to support a passionless club that is simply an AFL-run, make-up-the-numbers also-ran, where win/loss ratio means f.all so long as we turn a dime;

Over a club that is absolutely hellbent on doing everything possible to fly the flag that we can all be proud of.... and achieve the ultimate success.
I agree.

But there are problems with that.

Firstly, all clubs are "simply an AFL-run, make-up-the-numbers also-ran, where win/loss ratio means f.all so long as we turn a dime".

This is an entertainment industry. It's a workplace. It's a business. All clubs are only there to generate income. I'm no prouder of the St Kilda Football club than I am of Huawei or Apple. They're businesses selling product that I enjoy.

Secondly, do you think the AFL would allow one of their franchises to 'break ranks' and run their own show??

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:19pm

In short, yes.

I agree.

Firstly, all clubs are "simply an AFL-run, make-up-the-numbers also-ran, where win/loss ratio means f.all so long as we turn a dime".

This is an entertainment industry. It's a workplace. It's a business. All clubs are only there to generate income. I'm no prouder of the St Kilda Football club than I am of Huawei or Apple. They're businesses selling product that I enjoy.

Secondly, do you think the AFL would allow one of their franchises to 'break ranks' and run their own show??
Then I’m completely stumped Rodger.

What are we doing here? Let’s just roll over and take it.

The Recruit
Club Player

You need to buy a membership. The fact you don’t have one shows you are highly emotional and in an environment where things can go wrong, like a football club, high emotion can be a massive hindersnce to making good decisions.

It’s a no from me

Lenny isn’t ready. If we want to start doing well we need a coach that can potentially change the way the game is played

Ross Lyon
Alistair Clarkson
Kevin Sheedy
Scott Brothers
Paul Roos

Lenny would be a great assistant immediately and as I have previously stated...get Lenny you get Josh.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:24pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:19pm

In short, yes.

I agree.

Then I’m completely stumped Rodger.

What are we doing here? Let’s just roll over and take it.
Take what??

The AFL has been an entertainment industry for 20 years.

ss1986
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:27pm You need to buy a membership. The fact you don’t have one shows you are highly emotional and in an environment where things can go wrong, like a football club, high emotion can be a massive hindersnce to making good decisions.

It’s a no from me

Lenny isn’t ready. If we want to start doing well we need a coach that can potentially change the way the game is played

Ross Lyon
Alistair Clarkson
Kevin Sheedy
Scott Brothers
Paul Roos

Lenny would be a great assistant immediately and as I have previously stated...get Lenny you get Josh.
YOU CANT HAVE THEM! We are essentially in receivership!

What dont people understand!?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:51pm
Just to be clear only one of those names you mentioned is a Saints fan as the others are involved or passionate about other clubs.
Shostack is the Saints man. Radek Sali is a Dawk
Last edited by Saintmatt on Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i was trying initially to understand which 'City Group' you are referring to
then
trying to understand how one would 'challenge' without the financial ducks already lined up
then
was using Shostacks 'crew' as an example of your current competition

sorry ... not tryn to be obtuse or aggressive

good on anyone for even dreaming of havn a go ... kudos

jax

Tascone is 'a' Carlton man ... you taught me that weeks ago

his involvement in Chemist Warehouse supplying Swisse products ,
Shostacks role in advertising / marketing that involvement and the AFL
industry as the Corporate BillBoard for those two ... which it is
... says they are each others crew

does it not

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:32pm
The Recruit wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:27pm You need to buy a membership. The fact you don’t have one shows you are highly emotional and in an environment where things can go wrong, like a football club, high emotion can be a massive hindersnce to making good decisions.

It’s a no from me

Ross Lyon
Alistair Clarkson
Kevin Sheedy
Scott Brothers
Paul Roos

And have been on the AFL's teat for the best part of 20 years (or longer).

Why (and how) do we propose that telling them to GAGF will help us?

The Recruit
Club Player

It’s a no from me

Ross Lyon
Alistair Clarkson
Kevin Sheedy
Scott Brothers
Paul Roos

I understand we can’t have them but we need someone like them. Not sure why you think we can’t get Alistair....I know you say we are in receivership but the AFL has heaps of money...and Gil is a Saints man.

ss1986
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:34pm i was trying initially to understand which 'City Group' you are referring to
then
trying to understand how one would 'challenge' without the financial ducks already lined up
then
was using Shostacks 'crew' as an example of your current competition

sorry ... not tryn to be obtuse or aggressive

good on anyone for even dreaming of havn a go ... kudos

jax

Tascone is 'a' Carlton man ... you taught me that weeks ago

his involvement in Chemist Warehouse supplying Swisse products ,
Shostacks role in advertising / marketing that involvement and the AFL
industry as the Corporate BillBoard for those two ... which it is
... says they are each others crew

does it not
No no, point taken.

By City Group, I mean Sheikh Mansour and the team that own Manchester City and Melbourne City.

My lack of financial clout is by far the biggest hindrance to any tilt asiu. I fully acknowledge that.

If only I was about $10-20m better off. 😏

ss1986
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:36pm

It’s a no from me

Ross Lyon
Alistair Clarkson
Kevin Sheedy
Scott Brothers
Paul Roos

I understand we can’t have them but we need someone like them. Not sure why you think we can’t get Alistair....I know you say we are in receivership but the AFL has heaps of money...and Gil is a Saints man.
Gil’s done nought for us. Absolutely nothing.

A Good Friday fixture perhaps.... which we comprehensively stuffed up and embarrassed him with if he did pull strings for us.

But not much else that we can see.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who knows how these things work would know that ‘external’ reviews can never truly independent because of who the ultimate client is and who pays the bills. We don’t need a professional services firm, particularly the one you work for to conduct an internal review whose findings and recommendations will be controlled by the board, who are in the main ultimately responsible for the club's current predicament.

You’re also putting forward a hotch potch of completely unrelated recommendations without any evidence to suggest that the issues are the cause of the club’s problems. It's all a bit reductionist for my liking.

No offence but you don’t have the credentials and you sound a bit green around the ears.

I like your passion though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ss1986
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:51pm Anyone who knows how these things work would know that ‘external’ reviews can never truly independent because of who the ultimate client is and who pays the bills. We don’t need a professional services firm, particularly the one you work for to conduct an internal review whose findings and recommendations will be controlled by the board, who are in the main ultimately responsible for the club's current predicament.

You’re also putting forward a hotch potch of completely unrelated recommendations without any evidence to suggest that the issues are the cause of the club’s problems. It's all a bit reductionist for my liking.

No offence but you don’t have the credentials and you sound a bit green around the ears.

None of us are going to know. Even opposition governments dont know what they are in for until the books are officially handed over to them.

But I take it from Jaxons that I’ve at least got close.

Im definitely green- so is everyone who hasnt done something before... but you have to start somewhere right?

ss1986
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:51pm Anyone who knows how these things work would know that ‘external’ reviews can never truly independent because of who the ultimate client is and who pays the bills. We don’t need a professional services firm, particularly the one you work for to conduct an internal review whose findings and recommendations will be controlled by the board, who are in the main ultimately responsible for the club's current predicament.

None of us are going to know. Even opposition governments dont know what they are in for until the books are officially handed over to them.

Im definitely green- so is everyone who hasnt done something before... but you have to start somewhere right?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:58pm

Newly elected governments use that old excuse so they don’t have to carry out difficult election promises. They should know what the financial situation is.

Our financials are audited and publicly available as per reporting requirements under the Corporations Act. I really don’t know what you are talking about.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ss1986
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 10:16pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 9:58pm

Newly elected governments use that old excuse so they don’t have to carry out difficult election promises. They should know what the financial situation is.

Our financials are audited and publicly available as per reporting requirements under the Corporations Act. I really don’t know what you are talking about.
I should have used the term “keys” rather than books.

St Lenny
Club Player

Adam Kingsley as Coach, nooooooooooooo and not Danny Sexton either. These guys have to go. How do you know Lenny is out of Contract and wants to shift back to Melb?