Do We Coax Back Grant Thomas?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do We Coax Back Grant Thomas?

lefty wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 9:35pm if not NOOOO! the guy directly wrecked multiple careers of potentially great players, cost us millions in sponsorship,lost us a almost gimmie premiership (2004), a megalomaniac and bags absolutely everyone around him who suck up his arse

See, that's your opinion.

"Lost us a almost gimmie premiership" - This is based on absolutely nothing but personal opinion. When the team's playing well, every players a star and had an amazing list. When the same players are playing s***, everyone is a failed player and people want blood. Could say the same for any coach. Might as well say that Beveridge cost the Bulldogs the 2017 premiership as well. What you should acknowledge is that you can 100% blame supporters running onto the field which played a large part in the loss to Port, that is fact, not a personal opinion..
Yes all of it was personal opinion like your post, the guy can't match day coach, either the pure talent got it over the line because there was no game plan, basically sacked all the assistant and fitness each year how much did that hurt the player development

lefty wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 9:35pm "Millions in sponsorship" - source please?.
Refusal to meet with sponsor like every other coach.
lefty wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 9:35pm "Wrecked careers" - Like who? I looked through the 04, 05, 06 delistings. Tell me which one was ruined.

Penny, Ball and Kosi off the top of my head played them all when they should have been on the sidelines, none of them recovered to be the same.

I am not saying we should get rid of Richo just not touch Thomas with a 10 foot barge pole, the guy is toxic his name in Warrnambool is still considered a swear word.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Well it's not the stupidest suggestion ever made here.

Actually, yes it is.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m a bigger GT fan than most... strongly believe that sacking him is one of the worst decisions the club ever made and I reckon the criticism he cops for not winning over 04-05 is overly harsh...

That said... an overwhelming no to this idea and here’s why:

1. The most St.Kilda like thing in our history is to not follow through with a plan, sack a coach and bring back someone that had something resembling success in the past.
How has that strategy served us? Horribly, because the game evolves and everyone has adapted and are doing new things.

What suggestions are there that GT has evolved as a coach?

2. The AFL hated GT and worked against him and then us by association. Don’t want that again.

3. The endless discussion about whether or not he can coach... whether someone else would do better with the list... don’t need that again

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The AFL didn’t “hate GT” that’s the “us against them” rubbish Thomas would have drone followers believe to continue the peddling of his myth “I’m an innovator....I fight city hall....” rubbish

The AFL like many in the footy world know what Thomas is: an unadulterated fraud who took money by befriending a less than stable personality in Butters then hung him out to dry after the fact STIL owing him $1m
Further, hevthen took the clubs money for an additional $200k “leave pay” he’d previously signed a stat dec waiving???
The AFL don’t personally just “hate” people but they do hate charlatons and he’s a massive one
So sad is our pathetic history that many on here are sti wedded to this fool like some doomsday cult....”oh please bring back Jim Jones.....he was our only hope...”
Utter garbage

“Yeah….nah””