Bucky's top ten draft picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Bucky's top ten draft picks

Teflon wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 9:32pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 8:33pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 7:24pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 7:01pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 11:26pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 6:38pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 12:23pm I think it's universally accepted that kids develop best when surrounded by experienced senior players though. Just 'getting games into them' doesn't equal development. In fact it often stifles it.
Agree with that but not really the point. If we have a choice between playing a young player who is ready now over an older player i.e. Armo or a fringe player that has had multiple chances but not delivered i.e. Lonie you pick the younger player who may have a future. They may not be as good now but it will help in their development. I am a huge Brown fan but if they do not have a monster forward Logan gets a run. Those kind of choices should be made and is what I was referring to.

Thanks DJ
You got the point and nailed it
So Teflon, Friday July 13 Saints v Blues - who are you hoping wins?
Since we’re dealing in hyperbole here’s one for you Crossy66

Lose against Blues - Land Nick Riewoldt at 1
Win against Blues - Land J Kositchke

Go!
How u like them apples? :lol:
Teffers i have worked you out. You absolutely avoid answering anything or deal in facts preferring to fire back generalisations rather than"owning" and defending your view. By being general, nothing sticks.....like teflon really :lol:
Its not a complicated question - simply pick one of two teams. Actually its even simpler, for most supporters there can only be one answer

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 10:52pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 12:23pm I think it's universally accepted that kids develop best when surrounded by experienced senior players though. Just 'getting games into them' doesn't equal development. In fact it often stifles it.
Agree with that but not really the point. If we have a choice between playing a young player who is ready now over an older player i.e. Armo or a fringe player that has had multiple chances but not delivered i.e. Lonie you pick the younger player who may have a future. They may not be as good now but it will help in their development. I am a huge Brown fan but if they do not have a monster forward Logan gets a run. Those kind of choices should be made and is what I was referring to.

Thanks DJ

Go!
Teffers i have worked you out. You absolutely avoid answering anything or deal in facts preferring to fire back generalisations rather than"owning" and defending your view. By being general, nothing sticks.....like teflon really :lol:
Its not a complicated question - simply pick one of two teams. Actually its even simpler, for most supporters there can only be one answer
Thanks Crossy for your analysis of me, as always it’s always black and white and so sadly misses the margins of life which in reality are often grey....
I’m an old woman Crossy to old to keep arguing with you ( that and the mods have now got me on warning number 3 so I need to resist tit for tat apparently...)
I don’t agree with you
I don’t think winning is now our 1 aim this season
I don’t think a loss or 4 is really going to damage our psyche more than we are damaging it now
IF we lose and collect a better draft selection I’m ok with that
IF along the way we rid our entire coaching panel of the obvious deadwood we have I’m ecstatic
IF we beat up every low life side from now till seasons end you will be ecstatic, I won’t be as I’ll know we will paper over cracks and that will only send us backwards in the long run
I’m tired of going backwards, meeting out tiny little wins in what is an overall miserable history
Im only inte4ested in a flag and would do whatever it takes to get it - short term pain included.

“Yeah….nah””
Crossy66
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:01pm

Thanks DJ

Go!
Thanks Crossy for your analysis of me, as always it’s always black and white and so sadly misses the margins of life which in reality are often grey....
I’m an old woman Crossy to old to keep arguing with you ( that and the mods have now got me on warning number 3 so I need to resist tit for tat apparently...)
I don’t agree with you
I don’t think a loss or 4 is really going to damage our psyche more than we are damaging it now
IF along the way we rid our entire coaching panel of the obvious deadwood we have I’m ecstatic
IF we beat up every low life side from now till seasons end you will be ecstatic, I won’t be as I’ll know we will paper over cracks and that will only send us backwards in the long run
I’m tired of going backwards, meeting out tiny little wins in what is an overall miserable history
Im only inte4ested in a flag and would do whatever it takes to get it - short term pain included.
Saints or blues?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Plenty of yellow belly supporters on here.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:13pm Plenty of yellow belly supporters on here.
I’d respond Parkey (there’s so much to say to you..)...but apparently I’d get done for baiting.....
Is that right Simon?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:05pm

Thanks DJ

Go!
I don’t agree with you
Saints or blues?
Is there a game on?

Riewoldt pick 1
Or
Kosi pick 2 ??

“Yeah….nah””
Crossy66
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:44pm

Thanks DJ

Go!
I don’t agree with you
Saints or blues?
Is there a game on?

Riewoldt pick 1
Or
Kosi pick 2 ??
Saints or Blues?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:57pm

Thanks DJ

Go!
I don’t agree with you
Saints or blues?
Is there a game on?

Riewoldt pick 1
Or
Kosi pick 2 ??
Saints or Blues?
Riewoldt or Kosi?

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I like the courageous implication that Alan has the wherewithal to choose whether to coach to win or to lose. We will get a very good player from our first pick whatever pans out, but I reckon this thread has the Footy Gods seriously considering whether to make this years #1 pick the greatest player of all time and for us to beat Carlton by a point after the siren (spiteful kick oob by Murphy from the goal square).

(ps: player leaves Carlton at first opportunity and subsequently leads Suns to a first premiership - coincidently the same year Alan's extended contract expires)

Crossy66
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:15am
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 11:57pm

Thanks DJ

Go!
I don’t agree with you
Saints or blues?
Is there a game on?

Riewoldt pick 1
Or
Kosi pick 2 ??
Saints or Blues?
Riewoldt or Kosi?
OK, so i ask you a factual question like who you will barrack for in two weeks and you keep responding by not answering but rather by asking me an irrelevant fantasy question that cant happen?
But i understand why you keep avoiding answering the question. See deep down you are a passionate saints fan, so when you are faced with the reality of what wanting to tank actually means. i.e. barracking for another team against yours, you just cant say or do it. Thats a good thing!
Keep the faith, i reckon our list is not too bad, just need a little luck with a few FA's and a top 5 draft pick, and a bit of a shake up with coaching and development.

Regarding the Riewoldt / kosi question you keep posting, thats easy. I would rather beat the blues as i dont think recruiting 36 year olds is a good idea.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I just stumbled across the 2010 Draft...

Gold Coast David Swallow
Gold Coast Harley Bennell
Gold Coast Sam Day
West Coast Andrew Gaff
Brisbane Jared Polec
Richmond Reece Conca
Gold Coast Josh Caddy
Essendon Dyson Heppell
Gold Coast Dion Prestia
Gold Coast Daniel Gorringe
Gold Coast Tom Lynch

I think that is a case NOT to tank.

IMO picks 4, 8 and 11 are the best.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Nothing from the 2011 Draft either to suggest that tanking is worthwhile...

1 GWS Jonathon Patton
2 GWS Stephen Coniglio
3 GWS Dom Tyson
4 GWS Will Hoskin-Elliott
5 GWS Matthew Buntine
6 Port Adelaide Chad Wingard
7 GWS Nick Haynes
8 Brisbane Billy Longer
9 GWS Adam Tomlinson
10 GWS Liam Sumner
11 GWS Toby Greene

From the Top 11, IMO picks 2, 6 and 11 are the best.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

2012 ditto...

1 GWS Lachie Whitfield
2 GWS Jonathan O'Rourke
3 GWS Lachlan Plowman
4 Melbourne Jimmy Toumpas
5 Western Bulldogs Jake Stringer
6 Western Bulldogs Jackson Macrae
7 Port Adelaide Oliver Wines
8 Brisbane Sam Mayes
9 Richmond Nick Vlastuin
10 Essendon Joe Daniher
11 Carlton Troy Menzel

Picks 6 and 7 are the standouts. No justification to tank for higher picks there.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

2013 again, picks 2 and 4 are the best...

1 GWS Thomas Boyd
2 GWS Joshua Kelly
3 St Kilda Jack Billings
4 Western Bulldogs Marcus Bontempelli
5 Gold Coast Kade Kolodjashnij
6 Collingwood Matthew Scharenberg
7 Brisbane James Aish
8 North Melbourne Luke McDonald
9 Melbourne Christian Salem
10 Collingwood Nathan Freeman

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Not great drafts to look at to be fair with 2 new teams trying to develop all those players at once. You could bring up the 2000 draft to prove tanking would work but again that is as silly as bringing up one where tanking doesn't. It also doesn't take into account drafts where teams needed a position filled rather than the best player.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:24pm Not great drafts to look at to be fair with 2 new teams trying to develop all those players at once. You could bring up the 2000 draft to prove tanking would work but again that is as silly as bringing up one where tanking doesn't. It also doesn't take into account drafts where teams needed a position filled rather than the best player.
I looked at all Drafts from 2010 onwards and there's no justification for tanking.

I just didn't post them all.

Out of curiosity I'll have a look back a bit further.

Crossy66
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:24pm Not great drafts to look at to be fair with 2 new teams trying to develop all those players at once. You could bring up the 2000 draft to prove tanking would work but again that is as silly as bringing up one where tanking doesn't. It also doesn't take into account drafts where teams needed a position filled rather than the best player.
Lets go back a few more. I put a table together for you DJ so you can see that there are still some good options other than number one pick. Would you consider any of these options?

Year Number 1 pick Some options
2009 Tom Scully Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe
2008 Jack Watts Nic Nat, Michael Hurley
2007 Kruezer Dangerfield, Cotchin
2006 Bryce Gibbs Joel Selwood, Robbie Gray, Jack Riewoldt
2005 Marc Murphy Scott Pendelbury, Josh Kennedy WC, Ryder
2004 Deledio Buddy Franklin, Roughhead

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Equivocation

a.k.a doublespeak.

Teflon is not saying that we should tank.

He's saying we should do something completely different, whatever that is; it's just not called tanking.

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:10pm Equivocation

a.k.a doublespeak.

Teflon is not saying that we should tank.

He's saying we should do something completely different, whatever that is; it's just not called tanking.

:roll:
Symptomatic of the frustration all saints fans feel.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:53pm
I looked at all Drafts from 2010 onwards and there's no justification for tanking.

check out the year that Collingwood went from near 8 ish
to bottom and then back to the top end of the ladder the year after
... who did they get that year

tanking worked for them
(probably wangled a priority pick as well)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Crossy66
Club Player

asiu wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:33pm
rodgerfox wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 12:53pm

check out the year that Collingwood went from near 8 ish
to bottom and then back to the top end of the ladder the year after
... who did they get that year

tanking worked for them
(probably wangled a priority pick as well)
Ah yes, Collingwoods last wooden spoon i believe was 1999 and if they tank as you suspected, it netted them the..........Drumroll That hall of famer.... Josh Fraser! if they tanked a little less, they could have had Pavlich, Bob Murphy, Paul Chapman, Cameron Ling

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

On 2003 they finished 2nd - then dropped to 13th in 2004. In 2005 they fell further to 15th, then jumped to 5th the following year.

In 2004 and 2005 the Drafts looked like this...

2004:
1 Richmond Brett Deledio
2 Hawthorn Jarryd Roughead
3 Western Bulldogs Ryan Griffen
4 Richmond Richard Tambling
5 Hawthorn Lance Franklin
6 Western Bulldogs Tom Williams
7 Hawthorn Jordan Lewis
8 Adelaide John Meesen
9 Carlton Jordan Russell
10 Collingwood Christopher Egan

2005:
1 Carlton Marc Murphy Carlton
2 Collingwood Dale Thomas Carlton
3 Hawthorn Xavier Ellis
4 Carlton Joshua Kennedy West Coast
5 Collingwood Scott Pendlebury Collingwood
6 Hawthorn Beau Dowler
7 Essendon Patrick Ryder Port Adelaide
8 Richmond Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
9 Brisbane Mitchell Clark
10 Fremantle Marcus Drum
11 Western Bulldogs Shaun Higgins North Melbourne
12 Melbourne Nathan Jones Melbourne
13 West Coast Shannon Hurn West Coast
14 Hawthorn Grant Birchall Hawthorn
15 Geelong Travis Varcoe Collingwood
16 Adelaide Richard Douglas Adelaide

Not sure there's a case for tanking there really?
Last edited by rodgerfox on Tue 26 Jun 2018 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:04pm
Lets go back a few more. I put a table together for you DJ so you can see that there are still some good options other than number one pick. Would you consider any of these options?

Year Number 1 pick Some options
2009 Tom Scully Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe
2008 Jack Watts Nic Nat, Michael Hurley
2007 Kruezer Dangerfield, Cotchin
2006 Bryce Gibbs Joel Selwood, Robbie Gray, Jack Riewoldt
2005 Marc Murphy Scott Pendelbury, Josh Kennedy WC, Ryder
2004 Deledio Buddy Franklin, Roughhead
I agree that there are always good options other than number one. But I don't think it is realistic we will come dead last now but I hope we don't come 4th or 5th last, 3rd woudl be great and second, amazing. Lets look at the 2004 draft for example. Yes Buddy is the best at pick 5 (pick 2 but 3 priority picks) Why didn't Richmond get him or Roughhead instead of Tambling or Deledio? Because they needed 2 mids more than forwards hence they got 2 mids not 2 forwards or one of each. So you need to factor in club needs. Also how many clubs had a shot at Buddy? Only 3 clubs. I know you can find other players that were great and overlooked by every club at least once but I think you see my points.

Not saying you want to finish at the wrong end of the table, ideally you want to finish as far away as possible but it is better to finish near the bottom in a super draft year rather than mid table from a draft picks point of view. I will not be surprised if one of the best players from this draft is picked later on, usually someone is a late developer but you want to at least have the best shot at hitting a gun and to do that you want as many players on the board as possible to choose from. I.e. you cant pick a Dusty if he is already gone at pick 3 and we have pick 5.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 2:00pm
I agree that there are always good options other than number one. But I don't think it is realistic we will come dead last now but I hope we don't come 4th or 5th last, 3rd woudl be great and second, amazing. Lets look at the 2004 draft for example. Yes Buddy is the best at pick 5 (pick 2 but 3 priority picks) Why didn't Richmond get him or Roughhead instead of Tambling or Deledio? Because they needed 2 mids more than forwards hence they got 2 mids not 2 forwards or one of each. So you need to factor in club needs. Also how many clubs had a shot at Buddy? Only 3 clubs. I know you can find other players that were great and overlooked by every club at least once but I think you see my points.
Terry Wallace said on radio recently that they were getting Roughead with their 2nd pick and had it all arranged. But then Hawthorn stitched them up. They didn't want two mids. They wanted Deledio and Roughead.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 2:00pm

Not saying you want to finish at the wrong end of the table, ideally you want to finish as far away as possible but it is better to finish near the bottom in a super draft year rather than mid table from a draft picks point of view. I will not be surprised if one of the best players from this draft is picked later on, usually someone is a late developer but you want to at least have the best shot at hitting a gun and to do that you want as many players on the board as possible to choose from. I.e. you cant pick a Dusty if he is already gone at pick 3 and we have pick 5.
If I can just butt in for a second....

I saw both sides to the tanking debate. I mean why would you basically decline a gun player by winning one or two 'meaningless' games?

But having trawled through previous drafts, I'm afraid I can't see any real evidence to suggest that getting Pick 1 or even slightly higher picks justifies losing games of football.

I think the facts are there that realistically, there are 3-4 superstar players in each Draft in the top 20. But no one knows where until a couple of years later.