Eagles interested in Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Eagles interested in Hickey

dragit wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 11:15am
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 10:20pm
dragit wrote: Wed 05 Sep 2018 8:51pm I'm not personally pumped about trading out our best ruckman at this stage... our ruck trade manoeuvres have been absolutely abysmal.
So Dragit, does your post also read...
I'm not personally pumped about trading out our absolutely abysmal ruck trade manoeuvres?

I accept and acknowledge our trading and drafting has been far from good and agree with most when they say coaching and development has been very poor.

I will not subscribe to the theory of holding on to players in the blind hope they might become the next Gawn, Martin, Fyfe, Yeo, Greene or Lloyd.

Nor will I lose too much sleep in the fear that they become Cripps, Hutchings and McEvoy at other clubs. I fear that is all they'll be if they stay under this current regime's development.
I'm not a huge fan of ruckmen in general and believe that there are only a handful of genuine gun ones that regularly alter the course of games.

But I think Hickey gets an unfair wrap on here, like Lonie… once people decide they're s***, they can't see any of the good stuff they bring.

He's obviously not a pure hitout beast, but IMO Hickey is comfortably our best ruckmen and easily better than Lycett who people were frothing about.

From all AFL rucks Hickey is

# 2 contested possessions
# 3 clearances
# 4 centre clearance
# 5 stoppage clearance

Has over 8 hitouts to advantage per match - 1 less than witts, mcevoy, naitanui

Clearly Richo doesn't like Tom and he has subsequently stuffed his development, but I wouldn't be moving him on unless we get a really decent pick and/or we get a better ruckmen in.

Nankervis is proving that you don't need a 50 hitout/PM ruckmen to win flags… I'd sooner a 15 disposal 25 hitout ruckmen than 2 disposal 35 hitout player any day.

Respect your opinion, but to compare Hickledik to Nank is crazy. Nank is a physical beast, something Tom will never be!!!!!

You make some other good and justified points, but just the wrong comparison, that's all!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hickey needs to give nasty looks sideways and make sure he learns how to snarl a lot more at the opposition

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 11:50am You make some other good and justified points, but just the wrong comparison, that's all!!!!!
Thanks mate, stats aren't everything but their measurable output is strikingly similar.

Hitouts, Disposals, Marks, Tackles, Goals, Score involvements…
Last edited by dragit on Thu 06 Sep 2018 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 11:15am I'm not a huge fan of ruckmen in general and believe that there are only a handful of genuine gun ones that regularly alter the course of games.

But I think Hickey gets an unfair wrap on here, like Lonie… once people decide they're s***, they can't see any of the good stuff they bring.

He's obviously not a pure hitout beast, but IMO Hickey is comfortably our best ruckmen and easily better than Lycett who people were frothing about.

From all AFL rucks Hickey is

# 2 contested possessions
# 3 clearances
# 4 centre clearance
# 5 stoppage clearance

Has over 8 hitouts to advantage per match - 1 less than witts, mcevoy, naitanui

Clearly Richo doesn't like Tom and he has subsequently stuffed his development, but I wouldn't be moving him on unless we get a really decent pick and/or we get a better ruckmen in.

Nankervis is proving that you don't need a 50 hitout/PM ruckmen to win flags… I'd sooner a 15 disposal 25 hitout ruckmen than 2 disposal 35 hitout player any day.
Well said. Comfortably our best ruckman.

I see he is No.2 ruckman in the league for contested possessions. That in itself puts lie to claims that he lacks physicality. Who was No.1?

One of Richo’s most baffling decisions was to prefer Longer to him after a fabulous 2016 by Tom. It supposedly was because of the no third man up rule, but to my mind it may have been politics or sheer half-wittery.

Not a lot of faith shown there and you could understand Hickey beginning to doubt himself.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

What sort of influence (if any) will Lade have on our ruck stocks ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.