Unofficial practice match thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Unofficial practice match thread

8bloggs wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 8:38pm First half had all the Sandy players on the green jumper team, which made the black team with all Saints players look good - don't think the green team scored at all. During this half Clark (black team) looked the goods but to be fair he did not have much opposition.
Agree that the spread out of the back line looked better than last season, but entries into forward lines lacked precision and punch.
Bruce and Parker were lively, Roberton definitely a welcome inclusion, Brown making it look easy.
Paddy seems to play his best up on the wing where he passes off into the forward line better than most.
Pierce serviceable in the ruck, Alabakis has a long way to go, didn't see much of Rice, White and Coffield.
Second half they mixed up the Sandy and Saints players across the two sides and the game became more congested.
Skills not great but they never are at this time of year.
Lot of our best players absent so didn't take much out of it as far as an indicator of performance ahead.
Missing from our best 22.

Webster, Long, Gresham Steven, Hannebery, Steele, Armo, Billings, Longer, Carlisle and Membrey.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 4:55am Watched the whole game online. These are my opinions (with an O).

Positives:

- Pierce - won the ruck and was very mobile. I believe he will start Round 1.

- Newnes. I was very disappointed with his play last year but I think it was because he was injured. He is fit again and was a cut above the new guys. Certain starter I think.

- Roberton. Welcome back champ.

- Bruce. Boy did we miss him. Looked healthy.

- Savage. Played very well. Like his professionalism.

- Brown. True professional. One very poor kick. Combined well with Clavarino.

- Clavarino. Very promising.

- Hunter Clark. Phew. It was fantastic to see a high draft pick playing like a skilled footballer.

- Marshall and Battle. Very very good. Loved these draft pickups. Will be very important for us going forward. I would play them as much as is practical these next two years.

- Ed Phillips. We need a guy like this who is only going to improve. If you can run for a whole game then you have a chance to put yourself in an advantageous position.

- Darragh Joyce. Showed some good moves. Very happy for the guy. I think he is prone to make a howler or two but will eliminate those with time.

- Alabakis. Had athleticism and tried hard. Could not ask for more for this game.

- Running sprints after the game. I liked the concept that you never have an empty tank.

- Hammill. Sammy was very entertaining and natural. A high energy guy. A great part of any team. You can see why the club have kept him as long as we have. It must have been fantastic to get Hamill from a rich and powerful club. And Gehrig shunning both West Coast and Collingwood to come to us - what a gigantic boost to the team spirit. Sorta like a Cowboy Neale I reckon.

Negatives

- Austin. Was a bit lopey for my liking. Not convinced.

- McCartin. Just OK. Missed an easy set shot. If he was going to get going this year I would have liked to see more. Got a few easy ones at the end.

- Bailey Rice. A beautiful kick but nothing else. I doubt he will ever get another game.

- Goal kicking. Not good and certainly not improved with two summers practice. Very nervous about this. It is a game and a coach killer.

- Game plan. If you think you could see a new game plan being implemented (as Richo said in his boring interview) then you are either an elite football mind or kidding yourself. Early days yet though.
Great summary.

Totally agree on all points and I'm happy you highlighted Savage, Bruce and Robbo as I also thought they were standouts.

I thought some of our players efficiency and ball use was very poor. The commentators (Nick and Dave kept pumping up Seb Ross and Jarryn Geary but it was not justified) and especially with Ross who showed absolutely no urgency what so ever. Gears showed his usual desperation and courage but he missed his target on a couple of occasions as did Sebby. Gears looked lost at times and hung out the back looking for cheap possessions which were meaningless and inneffective.

Both players had a few chances to impact with kicks long into the middle or inside 50 and their decision making and disposal let them down. There were a couple of times where Seb had no pressure kicking the footy and he failed to kick to the forward's advantage. Very disappointing from one of our so called better players

If your leaders are setting the standard (and that includes Coach, Captain and VC) we're stuffed

avid
Club Player

Who was no.45 for the blue team in the 1st half? He looked as good as any.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

avid wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 1:27am Who was no.45 for the blue team in the 1st half? He looked as good as any.
There was a blue team???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hind didn't play? How did he look?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:13pm Hind didn't play? How did he look?
He played.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:37pm
degruch wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:13pm Hind didn't play? How did he look?
He played.
...aaaaand...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Too busy reading Roger's Profanisaurus at the time?

<1 day ban for baiting / commenting on a poster>