What about the Ruck?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: What about the Ruck?

older saint wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:53pm Malthouse wrote a good article this weekend about ruckmen and their influence
Yes I read that. He said we have uncovered a gem in Marshall, and I agree.

I don’t think we can bring in Longer as first ruck on the basis of him being a useful tap ruckman who contributes little else.

It would mean that if we need to drop a ruckman, Marshall - as second ruck - would be the man in the gun.

That would be ludicrous.

I think that when Carlisle comes back, he and Marshall should share ruck duties and that would give use one of the best ruck divisions in the competition.

The only spot I can find for Longer at the moment, is second ruck. In other words, if it’s between he and Marshall, he is first dropped.

But even that begs the question, what do you do with Longer when he is not competing at the rucks contests.

He just doesn’t win enough of the pill

Trixilver
Club Player

Everyone should know by now how much hitouts are overrated. Just watch any stoppage and you'll see it's just a contested mess, only when the midfield is completely unmarked will a clean hitout ever go anywhere. That happens maybe twice a game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:14pm There's another element to this - and I'd be interested to hear what the ruck experts out there think. When you're playing a 'help out your mates', team-style of footy - which is what it looks like to me when I see Lonie on the half-back flank and players with the courage to leave their man and help out when needed - is there actually something to be said for having random players (e.g., Long on Saturday) pinch-hit in the ruck? Does it actually help build that camaraderie and sense that they're all in it together?
The back 6 players leave their man because it's called zoning. You guard space and look to take intercept marks more than actually trying to defend one on one

takeaway
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:18pm
older saint wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:53pm Malthouse wrote a good article this weekend about ruckmen and their influence

I don’t think we can bring in Longer as first ruck on the basis of him being a useful tap ruckman who contributes little else.

It would mean that if we need to drop a ruckman, Marshall - as second ruck - would be the man in the gun.

That would be ludicrous.

I think that when Carlisle comes back, he and Marshall should share ruck duties and that would give use one of the best ruck divisions in the competition.

The only spot I can find for Longer at the moment, is second ruck. In other words, if it’s between he and Marshall, he is first dropped.

But even that begs the question, what do you do with Longer when he is not competing at the rucks contests.

Carlisle is very unlikely to play in the ruck after a back injury, not suited to the ruck anyway imo, and apparently not keen to do so.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 3:18pm

That would be ludicrous.

Carlisle is very unlikely to play in the ruck after a back injury, not suited to the ruck anyway imo, and apparently not keen to do so.
Terrible attitude if that is the case. I remember how petulant he was at times when his former coaches at Essendon wanted him to play in the forward line, or during that difficult period when they kept losing due to the distractions from the drugs saga and also the soft tissue injuries from piling on muscle mass in too short a time period

Needs to be a team player and just play where ever his coaches instruct him to play

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 3:29pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 3:18pm

That would be ludicrous.

Terrible attitude if that is the case. I remember how petulant he was at times when his former coaches at Essendon wanted him to play in the forward line, or during that difficult period when they kept losing due to the distractions from the drugs saga and also the soft tissue injuries from piling on muscle mass in too short a time period

Needs to be a team player and just play where ever his coaches instruct him to play

Exactly. If he’s fit enough to play football he’ll be fit enough to ruck.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

No doubt Roma is the best ruck prospect we’ve had in years... really like the kid.

Are we still arguing that he doesn’t need help.

HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 22 Jun 2019 11:14pm Bump.

No doubt Roma is the best ruck prospect we’ve had in years... really like the kid.

You don't have to be a lolly pop operator to work out he needed help yesterday but putting another dedicated ruckman in that side yesterday would have made the losing margin even greater. We needed grunt at the ground level. Did you watch the game or did you just look up the hit out stats.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

There's also the question of what do we do if Marshall gets injured? At this stage it looks like Pierce will go at the end of the season and Longer would be 50-50.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
older saint
SS Life Member

I would think both gone.

Need to look at an options for the next 2-3 years , perhaps why thinking Goldstein in free agency. Hopefully by then a combination of Marshall and King could be an extremely damaging ruck / forward combination in 2022

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:05pm I would think both gone.

Need to look at an options for the next 2-3 years , perhaps why thinking Goldstein in free agency. Hopefully by then a combination of Marshall and King could be an extremely damaging ruck / forward combination in 2022
Makes sense. Long won't be ready to be even a second ruck for a few years so Goldstein could be an option, as long as he's happy to spend time in the two's.

older saint
SS Life Member

remboy wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:12pm

Makes sense. Long won't be ready to be even a second ruck for a few years so Goldstein could be an option, as long as he's happy to spend time in the two's.
Guessing you mean King :D Although the ruck Acres has to play who knows HAHAHA

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 12:35pm

You don't have to be a lolly pop operator to work out he needed help yesterday but putting another dedicated ruckman in that side yesterday would have made the losing margin even greater. We needed grunt at the ground level. Did you watch the game or did you just look up the hit out stats.
lol... look up the word context.

no surprises that you've missed it again. I now understand why you insist on posts being small...

HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 2:32pm

no surprises that you've missed it again. I now understand why you insist on posts being small...
LoL! Stop being so factual and deep with your analysis so I can comprehend the context. LoL!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:17pm

LoL! Stop being so factual and deep with your analysis so I can comprehend the context. LoL!
Hahaha... the defensive tone.

Poor guy, you really didn't see yesterday coming did you. I mean I thought we'd win but wasn't surprised we lost. You repeatedly posted it was an absolute certainty. Long way to come down I guess

HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:23pm

Poor guy, you really didn't see yesterday coming did you. I mean I thought we'd win but wasn't surprised we lost. You repeatedly posted it was an absolute certainty. Long way to come down I guess
I don't think I've ever seen you bask in a victory, you always go missing, but you appear like sunshine after a loss. Strange. Have you ever considered changing your nic to paranoid? LoL.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:37pm

I don't think I've ever seen you bask in a victory, you always go missing, but you appear like sunshine after a loss. Strange. Have you ever considered changing your nic to paranoid? LoL.
I'm here all the time... unlike yourself when you disappeared post the Port game
I just wasn't prepared to extend Richo's contract again and book my finals tickets after the 4 point win against Goldcoast and the thirteen point thriller against Carlton.

Forgive for not basking in the glory and declaring that we're building something special here based on those performances

HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:56pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:37pm

I'm here all the time... unlike yourself when you disappeared post the Port game
I just wasn't prepared to extend Richo's contract again and book my finals tickets after the 4 point win against Goldcoast and the thirteen point thriller against Carlton.

Forgive for not basking in the glory and declaring that we're building something special here based on those performances
Sounds good Sunshine

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:20pm
remboy wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:12pm

Guessing you mean King :D Although the ruck Acres has to play who knows HAHAHA
Whoever invented Auto correct should be shot. But maybe Long will have a growth spurt over the summer lol.