Hannebury Hamstring Awareness & Lethlean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Hannebury Hamstring Awareness & Lethlean

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 3:21pm

... but we also don't need to settle for what's left & who no one else wanted & then pay overs for the privilege.
Of course we do!

That's exactly the predicament we're in! Same as North having to pay the bloke from Port $800k a year.

Right now, the ONLY way we improve is through the draft, and in small increments by paying overs for the second tier players.

Crossy66
Club Player

Seems to go round in circles this argument.
Facts are we threw money at any and everyone without success
With the Salary cap we have to pay it regardless, meaning we end up paying others (that don't deserve it)
So what we paid hannabury relatively unimportant
Saint identified one of the main contributors for 2018 drop off was the loss of leadership - both on field, on the track and driving player standards with Nick and Joey retiring. Saints are desperate, missed on on the other big fish and Lethleans is able to persuade Hannas to come on down and the money probably helped the Swans out.

I also think there is a part two to this trade - lets see what comes back from the Swans this year!

Crossy66
Club Player

Seems to go round in circles this argument.
Facts are we threw money at any and everyone without success
With the Salary cap we have to pay it regardless, meaning we end up paying others (that don't deserve it)
So what we paid hannabury relatively unimportant
Saints identified one of the main contributors for 2018 drop off was the loss of leadership - both on field, on the track and driving player standards with Nick and Joey retiring. Saints are desperate, missed on on the other big fish and Lethlean is able to persuade Hannas to come on down and the money probably helped the Swans out.

I also suspect there is a part two to this trade - lets see what comes back from the Swans this year!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I hope you're right about the Part TWO Crossy because parts of the Part ONE just don't add up.

I agree B.G. about improving through the draft, I don't agree with settling & paying overs for 2nd tier. I will pay overs for bona fide A graders and players identified as on the rise.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 2:34pm I don't understand some supporters.

We desperately needed experience right?
We desperately needed premiership experience right?
We desperately needed football leadership right?
We desperately need to improve our list right?
We desperately need to improve our midfield right?
We desperately needed to land a big name right?
We have shitloads in the salary cap right?

Hannebury was absolutely ideal. Would rather Fyfe or Kelly obviously, but Hannebury is still ideal.

Not doubting we're not getting as much as we'd have liked on-field in year 1 - but that doesn't detract from the actual decision to recruit him.
Kevin Bartlett and Terry Daniher probably ticked all those boxes and didn't have the perceived off field issues!