Brownlow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brownlow

And the winner is .......................................... saints nowhere to be seen.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

it is what it is. leave it alone as it is one of the few traditions left. plenty of other awards floating around. and yes it will heavily favour the mids as there are three umps now, so the only players that will catch the eye of all three consistently are those that roam the park. nothing to be done about it unfortunately. perhaps the umps could vote after watching a replay? but then again they have other jobs to worry about. another reason the afl needs to have fulltime professionals. no one in their right mind would think semi-professional afl players could play to the same standards, so why have semi-professional umps adjudicating games? turn it into a profession - a genuine well paid and competitive career and watch standards improve.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saint 58
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 3:23pm
Saint 58 wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 12:32pm The Brownlow needs a complete overhaul, it's a midfielders medal - who gets most possessions with no accountability
Dangerfield gets 40 & 3 goals - 3 votes, his "opponent" gets 35 & 2 goals - 2 votes
What a load of crap
A defender can shutdown a key forward, be recognised by the media for doing an outstanding job, be credited with being a major factor in his team winning the game - the end
Even forwards can kick a bag of goals & get some votes
Grundy polled well but mainly because of his possessions

The last ruck to win - Scott Wynd 1992
The last forward to win - Tony Lockett 1987
The last defender to win - Ross Glendinning 1983

The next non-midfielder to win a Brownlow - highly unlikely
The next defender to win a Brownlow - never again

Take the job off the umpires, they have enough to do
Give it to someone else & make them consider ALL aspects of the game
Well said 58. I'm not sure a complete overhaul is required, leave it with the umpires and recognise it for what it is, an individual award. More often than not the best players are midfielders. That said, they may not be the most important player to a particular team. It has certainly thrown up anomalies over its history.

Very happy they recognised Plugger & Glendinning though.

Well done to Fyfe & Cripps, both are beasts and incredible footballers.
Yea a complete overhaul was a bit extreme :)
Just give some credit to the rest of the players doing their bit !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

As long as he stays fit, Rowan Marshall will win it within the next five years.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 2:03am
evertonfc wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 6:46pm My value pick is Seb Ross, who is paying $5. Jack Billings, staggeringly, is only $1.14.

Ross has always out-polled Billings, except 2015 when both played 10 games or less.

Ross has already won our B&F; Billings finished fourth.

Not a lock, but those are absolutely insane odds.

Bang!!!! Well done.

I saw this too but through Billings would have him pipped.
I just hope my fellow SS members were able to profit. Don't say I don't help this place out... :wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Pundit wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:39am
saintspremiers wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:18am Check our Freo Dokers on Facebook.

The love between Natalie & Ros is something to behold.

Ro$$ would love to coach a team where all players are 27+ and A grade or close.

Anyway, Fyfe is a legend and I’m confident he will be like Bobby and a triple Brownlow medallist
The brownlow is as meaningful award as getting a gold star from your primary school teacher. The players award and premiership medallions are the two valued awards these days.
Players award?! I lost faith in that when Roo missed out on MVP in 09. Players just vote for whoever is favourite in media.

For mine coaches award has most meaning and for the life of me, I can’t work out why it’s not held in higher esteem

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Aren't they all just opinions?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Love the Brownlow and how it is awarded.

No system is perfect and this system probably has the least limitations and biases attached.

The system will never change but it doesn’t stop other awards and systems of voting being created. Best of luck to them but given nearly 100 years of this system, it’s doubtful almost impossible any other will be as good or well respected than the brownlow.

Pundit
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 1:15am Love the Brownlow and how it is awarded.

No system is perfect and this system probably has the least limitations and biases attached.

The system will never change but it doesn’t stop other awards and systems of voting being created. Best of luck to them but given nearly 100 years of this system, it’s doubtful almost impossible any other will be as good or well respected than the brownlow.
The "least" bias!, do you want some thinking music to reconsider that position? Do the math on percentages of awards to midfielders since inception of the award, I'm guessing it's 99.99% bias towards midfielders.

It's the suckhole award, aka the "conformist's" award. If you play by our rules in every sense of the word we'll make you a star and that is why it should be modernised as an award for the fairest only.
There is no integrity in the system for umpires to judge who is the "best", none!, and most objective observers would agree.

You could make that tweak and get furious agreement by even the staunchest of traditionalists. I suppose another idea in terms of strengthening the integrity would be to modify the jugding system and have an off field panel to correlate with onfield jugding. The bottom line is there are so many examples of the current system being flawed. Tradition is so blinding it gives us Donald Duck and Borris Butthead. 😀😜

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The biggest issue I have with the Bronwnlow is the 3,2,1 voting system.

The best voting system is the coaches award where each coach gives 5,4,3,2 and 1 votes. That seems to cover all bases. You could have the same system for the Brownlow with each umpire giving 5,4,3,2,1. There would be plenty of votes going around!

Only issue with changing the current Brownlow system is you’re mucking around with history. It’s nice to compare year to year etc.

My main beef say with our finals system is when we ditched the brilliant Final 5 system. Now the most recent ridiculous concept to make more money - the post season bye. So we can’t compare Apples with Apples anymore!

For the second time in four seasons we have a 5-8 team making the Granny

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 8:27am The biggest issue I have with the Bronwnlow is the 3,2,1 voting system.

The best voting system is the coaches award where each coach gives 5,4,3,2 and 1 votes. That seems to cover all bases. You could have the same system for the Brownlow with each umpire giving 5,4,3,2,1. There would be plenty of votes going around!
For a few years they tried both umps give 3,2,1 each I think it was the around when Dempsey won