Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

Has anyone in the media apart from Mark Fine brought up any of this in recent days? Surely Caroline Wilson would be all over it if she thought there were major issues with the coach. Maybe Fine has had a face to face tiff with Watters. Fine gives me the impression that he would hold a grudge.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Has anyone in the media apart from Mark Fine brought up any of this in recent days? Surely Caroline Wilson would be all over it if she thought there were major issues with the coach. Maybe Fine has had a face to face tiff with Watters. Fine gives me the impression that he would hold a grudge.
Only Fine seems to think there is a story here.

I doubt he has even met SW. Sounds 2nd hand at best. Possibly 3rd hand through his 'mates' and 'insiders'.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Dont want to say, but Mark Doran was the issue, not Mark Fine, who AFAIK had nothing to do with it.
I reckon it may have come to 1 spot left after Doran flexed, and 2 candidates being considered. So, the management had to make a decision as to who best fitted the direction they wanted to go. You've probably heard "we've decided to go in a particular direction" before. So, they delved into their HR policy manual, followed their process and chose.

When I asked what that direction was, I received a 1 word response - "Bogan". Not saying who the respondent was, of course.

But, I think they chose "wisely", all things considered.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
joffaboy wrote: Dont want to say, but Mark Doran was the issue, not Mark Fine, who AFAIK had nothing to do with it.
I reckon it may have come to 1 spot left after Doran flexed, and 2 candidates being considered. So, the management had to make a decision as to who best fitted the direction they wanted to go. You've probably heard "we've decided to go in a particular direction" before. So, they delved into their HR policy manual, followed their process and chose.

When I asked what that direction was, I received a 1 word response - "Bogan". Not saying who the respondent was, of course.

Eva was shafted, he was treated unfairly by management it came to a head.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Some little minor facts. SW isnt a well loved coach by the majority of players. RL was at least liked by the stars but not so much the guys not getting a games as every single coach including SW is. Finey knows less than some here on this board so I wouldnt get carried away with what he says and that is again fact but he has had a strong opinion about this for a while. Completely disagree myself but also we shouldnt extend his contract till later next year.
Plugger, forgive me if you've already answered this but I got to page 8 & couldn't read through anymore without asking you what it is that the players don't like? His style, approach, game plan, personality, trust, attitude or lack of knowledge? I had heard that he was very well respected for his ability to develop & nurture younger players.

The Craw
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

A boxing interview was the final straw .... Beva shafted ? Yes.

Not Craw, CRAW!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: I reckon it may have come to 1 spot left after Doran flexed, and 2 candidates being considered. So, the management had to make a decision as to who best fitted the direction they wanted to go. You've probably heard "we've decided to go in a particular direction" before. So, they delved into their HR policy manual, followed their process and chose.

A boxing interview was the final straw .... Beva shafted ? Yes.
correct

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don't have an opinion on Finey either way but I'm just having a chuckle how he has riled so many on here. He had an opinion just like so many experts on here and everyone gets there skirts in a knot.

The only way our club or any other for that matter can be adversely affected by the media is if the morons out there give it creedance.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The reality of 2012 was that we fell short by under a goal or under a few goals in half a dozen matches. That could've been the difference in finishing 5th or 6th and I reckon we could have really given it a shake in 2012.

I'm not certain that the players were willing to make scarifices to reach that goal. Maybe they were sulking about the loss of the messiah - I dunno what it was, but I didn't see a HUNGER and a BURNING desire from some of the senior group in 2012.

The club didn't do every thing possible to maximise our chances of getting into finals in 2012 imo and there were too many selfish decisions made by our senior players and some of them might have been distracted or more interested in maximising their take home pay and weekly payments (after all - that's what the messiah had done).

On the one hand it was a blessing for the club not to play finals and prepare early for 2013 and also get higher draft picks, and on the other hand the players were now realising they missed the ultimate battles that unfold come September.

The reality of 2013 hit home after we played about 6 rounds

I suppose there is always a difference between the clubs goals and the players goals. Right now there is also a difference between the senior players goals and the younger players goals. It's up to the CEO and the board to back the coach and look out for the future of this footy club - stop looking in the rear vision mirror

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Majority wrote:He took over the evening show after another long time St.Kilda member Bruce Eva, was axed.
I am not sure if the truth of the axing was ever aired, after all, history is written by the winner.

In 2013, the normally entertaining and open minded Mark Fine has IMO, turned into a shock jock.
No, Fine has pretty much always been a shock jock for mine. Got tired of his antics at least two years ago. He seems to attract morons to his talk back segments. I guess most people who listen to him and take him seriously are morons to begin with.

Would be great if Fine stepped down and Bruce Eva made a return.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I don't have an opinion on Finey either way but I'm just having a chuckle how he has riled so many on here. He had an opinion just like so many experts on here and everyone gets there skirts in a knot.

The only way our club or any other for that matter can be adversely affected by the media is if the morons out there give it creedance.
Yes but the problem here is his supposed love for the club.
What other media commentator that loves their club would so publicly undermine it?
That's the issue, the opinion right or wrong is irrelevant, the medium he has abused is the issue.
For me, this is much of the cause of our fractured history, admin and management to the masses always avoiding the hard decisions.
Why do Bombers players stay, simple, the club is the strength, the tail doesn't wag the dog there...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I don't have an opinion on Finey either way but I'm just having a chuckle how he has riled so many on here. He had an opinion just like so many experts on here and everyone gets there skirts in a knot.

What other media commentator that loves their club would so publicly undermine it?
That's the issue, the opinion right or wrong is irrelevant, the medium he has abused is the issue.
For me, this is much of the cause of our fractured history, admin and management to the masses always avoiding the hard decisions.
Why do Bombers players stay, simple, the club is the strength, the tail doesn't wag the dog there...
Caro has Bagged Richmond
Newman the Cats
the list goes on.

As I said it's the easily swayed that the media has an effect on...the smart ones go about their business.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Exactly, it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where someone converts to Judaism just so that he can tell Jewish jokes…

Fine seems to be attacking the Saints in a way he wouldn't any other club, which is all good because he is such a great saints man.

The guy's a butt sniffer of the highest order…

He could well be right, Watters could be the biggest dud since Neeld, but what he is doing is completely destabilizing for the sake of his own ratings… clearly upset about his mate being sacked and he should disclose as much if he is to continue carrying on like a toddler.

coat.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
maverick wrote:

Caro has Bagged Richmond
Newman the Cats
the list goes on.

As I said it's the easily swayed that the media has an effect on...the smart ones go about their business.
Serious?
Show me Caro's article on Jake King's assault charge?
What about a story on Dustin Martin, just one, like the one on Chips?
What about an article linking the two?
What about some snide articles on Cousin's issues when at the Tiges, didn't see any there???
Newman's practically a cheerleader for the Cats....

Where's the rest of the list?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yep serious..members of the media have bagged their own clubs over the years,possibly due to thier own frustrations, if you can't see that then sorry pal...take it up with Finey...look forwrd to the transcript.

defacto
Club Player

i have only known three people that have been on the sack watters wagon before finey went to air.
1) simon mcevoy of the HUN
2) a son of one of our recruiters. dont get him started on pelchen either
3) wont care to mention

i wonder if 1 or 2 got their info to finey, alternatively hutchinson maybe?? i know 1) has been on fineys show before

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:yep serious..members of the media have bagged their own clubs over the years,possibly due to thier own frustrations, if you can't see that then sorry pal...take it up with Finey...look forwrd to the transcript.
SO just show me Caro's articles on the recent Tiger issues, just one?
What about Newman, where's his call for the coach to be sacked.
Look forward to seeing some links...pal

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yes, cause all of us on here have a radio program that we can abuse just like knob coat has?

Come on Firey, your mates a tool - you know and that's ok we all have them (I've got them in the family) just own it.... far easier to move forward!!

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
The Fireman wrote:yep serious..members of the media have bagged their own clubs over the years,possibly due to thier own frustrations, if you can't see that then sorry pal...take it up with Finey...look forwrd to the transcript.
the "Pal" quote got me...not worthy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Yes, cause all of us on here have a radio program that we can abuse just like knob coat has?

Come on Firey, your mates a tool - you know and that's ok we all have them (I've got them in the family) just own it.... far easier to move forward!!
No mate of mine...and you protest just a little too much...are you the type I speak of that gets sucked in by the media?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Someone needs to call up Finey's show under the moniker of "Massive Merv from Moorabbin" and give him a serve :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

*their
*credence(as in Clearwater revival)
at least MORONS was spelled correctly!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:

*their
*credence(as in Clearwater revival)
at least MORONS was spelled correctly!
did my post upset you ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 2tv7j.html

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
creepypolar
Club Player

defacto wrote:i have only known three people that have been on the sack watters wagon before finey went to air.
1) simon mcevoy of the HUN
2) a son of one of our recruiters. dont get him started on pelchen either
3) wont care to mention

i wonder if 1 or 2 got their info to finey, alternatively hutchinson maybe?? i know 1) has been on fineys show before
simon is a poster on BigFooty if I'm not mistaken. BigFooty St Kilda may I add.

Anyway, this was a while ago so im not fully sure