2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Petra may make Pelican look V.good

WinnersOnly wrote:Gerard Whatley just said on 360 he had heard that it was in the bank that GWS will end up with pick 1 (Petracca). Will involve a swap of picks and players but will happen!
Interesting prediction from Gerard.
All I can say is if so will we be more likely or better placed to bring the next Robert Harvey to St.Kilda?
I can only assume GWS has a centre player in mind capable of emulating Banger (for instance).
GWS must really rate Petra but what if Pelchin does as well? Maybe he doesn't!
Any ideas who GWS might let go to become a top shelf centreman at St Kilda?

G O S A I N T S ! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Hallalj#3
Club Player

Re: Petra may make Pelican look V.good

Megamaguire wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Gerard Whatley just said on 360 he had heard that it was in the bank that GWS will end up with pick 1 (Petracca). Will involve a swap of picks and players but will happen!
All I can say is if so will we be more likely or better placed to bring the next Robert Harvey to St.Kilda?
I can only assume GWS has a centre player in mind capable of emulating Banger (for instance).

If GWS are hell bent on getting pick 1, don't worry about shuffling picks, Adam Treloar will do me just fine straight swap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petra may make Pelican look V.good

Megamaguire wrote:

That's just emotive stuff. Why isn't he the next Scully. He was rated higher as a junior than Petracca. There is nothing at the moment to suggest this guy is the next superstar. If we get him I hope he is but it always worries me that there is no clear number one.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

Petracca has totally dominated TAC Cup footy for two years which includes his year as an under-ager. He's a ready to go power mid of the Boak & Dangerfield variety. It will take a seriously good offer to trade the rights to pick 1.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Petracca has totally dominated TAC Cup footy for two years which includes his year as an under-ager. He's a ready to go power mid of the Boak & Dangerfield variety. It will take a seriously good offer to trade the rights to pick 1.

If that is true he would clearly be number one. Im afraid it isn't quite correct. Before the carnival he was about pick 5 or worse.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:
fugazi wrote:Just by the sounds of it....he is likely to trade pick #1

I suspect he is just flying the Kite. Putting it out there in the media - to see what offers we get.
If we get a good offer hell look at it then. If no genuine offers - we probably go for the Pet.
I think he is putting it out there, but to condition the expectations of supporters.

What we are hearing now in the media, is stuff they would have known internally for weeks. If GWS are absolutely champing at the bit to get pick one, that means we have the whip hand and I reckon the Pelican will be very happy at that prospect. I reckon he has done brilliantly so far with bugger all currency, now that he has the magical pick one to play with I reckon he'll go boonta.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Petracca has totally dominated TAC Cup footy for two years which includes his year as an under-ager. He's a ready to go power mid of the Boak & Dangerfield variety. It will take a seriously good offer to trade the rights to pick 1.

If that is true he would clearly be number one. Im afraid it isn't quite correct. Before the carnival he was about pick 5 or worse.

Sometimes theres a clear #1 at the beginning of the year. Sometimes players dominate throughout the year and become the clear #1

Player of the national carnival
u18 AA
Player of the TAC Cup
B & F for Eastern Rangers

Just wait to the combine. The guy is off the charts in terms of agility, speed, time trials and jump tests.

Clear #1

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
fugazi wrote:Just by the sounds of it....he is likely to trade pick #1

I suspect he is just flying the Kite. Putting it out there in the media - to see what offers we get.
If we get a good offer hell look at it then. If no genuine offers - we probably go for the Pet.
I think he is putting it out there, but to condition the expectations of supporters.

What we are hearing now in the media, is stuff they would have known internally for weeks. If GWS are absolutely champing at the bit to get pick one, that means we have the whip hand and I reckon the Pelican will be very happy at that prospect. I reckon he has done brilliantly so far with bugger all currency, now that he has the magical pick one to play with I reckon he'll go boonta.......

You obviously rate our effort at the 2012 draft better than me. I still reckon this guy is going to just about make or break our club. I trust him less than my mother in law.

Kernal75
Club Player

Give us Boyd / Cameron and pick 3 and they have a deal! Unlikely to happen but that's what I'd be hoping for.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Give us Boyd / Cameron and pick 3 and they have a deal! Unlikely to happen but that's what I'd be hoping for.

If we also gave them Steven then that's a real chance.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Zed wrote:Went to the Sanfl grand final today. Ports John Butcher is the worst kick I have ever seen at senior level. Was clearly beaten today by a Sanfl level CHB. Belongs in the Ammos.
What about this Panos bloke?
Was the first time I have really watched him closely. Big bodied midfielder , not overly blessed with pace from what I saw, but used it well enough. I question his ability to run and spread quickly from the contest - having said that he got a lot of the ball. Reminds me of a taller version of Seb.

Hard to say how much he would improve in an AFL environment, but yeah I think he would get a game at a bottom 4 club in the midfield. I wouldn't complain if we took a punt with a late pick or rookie selection.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Give us Boyd / Cameron and pick 3 and they have a deal! Unlikely to happen but that's what I'd be hoping for.
How about just Cameron for pick 1 straight up?

I reckon we'd have to take that. A proven AFL quality KPF for an unproven midfielder.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Are you people crazy.

We get a good player plus pick 4 or GWS can f*** themselves.

If they want #1 bend over.

Otherwise watch Petracca run around in red,white and black.

Really we have the whip hand

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Are you people crazy.

What if we thought Treloar was clearly better than Petracca. Should we miss him just to prove a point.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

What if we thought Treloar was clearly better than Petracca. Should we miss him just to prove a point.
Yes. If we thought that GWS would think that.

if they want Petracca so badly they will need to pay overs.

What do the Saints lose? We get Petracca , GWS does not. After all Petracca isn't bad is he?

And poor old GWS can console themselves with Treloar

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What do the Saints lose? We get Petracca , GWS does not. After all Petracca isn't bad is he?

And they could be by giving us Treloar. Matter of fact im certain. I want us to get the best deal and I don't care if GWS clearly get the best next deal. Lets be honest we aren't getting Treloar but im giving my opinion on how I think the best trading works.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And they could be by giving us Treloar. Matter of fact im certain. I want us to get the best deal and I don't care if GWS clearly get the best next deal. Lets be honest we aren't getting Treloar but im giving my opinion on how I think the best trading works.
Its not the best trade. Petracca may well be better - or we might get Reid and Mitchell and somrthing else from Sydney and GWS get SFA

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I have it on good authority that if we trade it will be gws... But there is a big if there. Basically the club views gws as the club who offer the most value to us in picks and or players.
That's all I know certain not a given we will trade pick 1

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its not the best trade. Petracca may well be better - or we might get Reid and Mitchell and somrthing else from Sydney and GWS get SFA
True. Im just saying treloar is a great option for pick one. IMO Mitchell and Reid are better but so is Dangerfield.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Dayne Beams has requested a trade to Qld...Wow.
another bloke Buckley has successfully driven away...he has turned Mick's Rolls Royce into a Commodore very quickly

Nee!
andrewg
Club Player

Trelore would be ace but my mail is he is staying till end of next year and wants to play at either Carlton or Collingwood in 2016.....But if we can showcase our club and our direction as a team maybe he would come on board. I would take trelore and pick 19 for,pick 1 or pick 1 for Jeremy Cameron.

Again from what I have heard Jeremy might be our new centre half back next year....GWS just have to say ok

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Trelore would be ace but my mail is he is staying till end of next year and wants to play at either Carlton or Collingwood in 2016.....But if we can showcase our club and our direction as a team maybe he would come on board. I would take trelore and pick 19 for,pick 1 or pick 1 for Jeremy Cameron.

Again from what I have heard Jeremy might be our new centre half back next year....GWS just have to say ok

Seriorly and Buddy will play back pocket. Can I ask why you need to talk rubbish. Surely it isn't that important.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I wonder with all this banter if we have missed the obvious?

Perhaps the trade is actually Petracca for Boyd?

Remember how keen we were on Boyd last year & GWS are more likely to release him than other mentioned players. Plus the have a number of other full forward options at the club, plus they get to keep pick 4 for Wright.

Fair trade that would suit both clubs...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I wonder with all this banter if we have missed the obvious?

Perhaps the trade is actually Petracca for Boyd?

Remember how keen we were on Boyd last year & GWS are more likely to release him than other mentioned players. Plus the have a number of other full forward options at the club, plus they get to keep pick 4 for Wright.

Fair trade that would suit both clubs...
I don't think it's fair. Cameron is a proven AFL quality key forward. He's kicked a bunch of goals and been All-Australian. He's worth pick one. On the other hand, Boyd is a former number one draft pick who didn't do a huge amount in his first season. He may well turn out to be very good but at this point he's no longer worth pick one. He's actually more speculative than Petracca because early pick mids are less likely to fail outright than early pick talls.

So I really hope that's not the deal.

saintjake
Club Player

Just throw everything at Dangerfield.
If he is available, which it appears he is.
Just throw the kitchen sink at him and get a forward next year.
He will still be in his prime when we come up, players like him are the difference in Grand Finals