Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Things were a lot different back when we were at at the JO first time around. Port Melbourne was working class and there was none of the marketing and corporate stuff like today. You cant compare it. The point is right now and the future - the potential of the JO is massive.

Melbourne has changed dramatically - even since the 90s. It is far more centralised now. Sure the city has grown outwards - but populations densities have actually moved inwards. Look at Sth Bank. It wasnt even there 20 years ago. Melbourne has become almost an Asian city now in terms of urban development. Lots more centralised high rises. Comparing St Kilda in the 1930s of the depression or 50s or even 60s is completely pointless. Lets look at what it offers now and in the next decades.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Things were a lot different back when we were at at the JO first time around. Port Melbourne was working class and there was none of the marketing and corporate stuff like today. You cant compare it. The point is right now and the future - the potential of the JO is massive.

Melbourne has changed dramatically - even since the 90s. It is far more centralised now. Sure the city has grown outwards - but populations densities have actually moved inwards. Look at Sth Bank. It wasnt even there 20 years ago. Melbourne has become almost an Asian city now in terms of urban development. Lots more centralised high rises. Comparing St Kilda in the 1930s of the depression or 50s or even 60s is completely pointless. Lets look at what it offers now and in the next decades.

Why does it matter where the population is. If a person is going to start following us wouldn't it be as a kid and wouldn't it be because we are successful. They don't care where we train but if they did aren't there more kids out of the city than in the city area. I don't know many families who move into the city area when they have children but I know many who move to the suburbs when they have children. An adult isn't going to start following us after following the pies for 30 years just because we train at the JO 5 days a week.

Everyone thinks its a magical cure going to the JO. The facts at the moment show that the government aren't interested in helping us yet. TD from CV said it would be better if we weren't involved. Even if we are involved we are an after thought. We will be training at a park over the road from the JO. It doesn't sound that appealing to me yet with the facts on the table. There is plenty of fiction though that makes people feel better about the move. Hiopefully for you guys a bit of the fiction will become fact.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Things were a lot different back when we were at at the JO first time around. Port Melbourne was working class and there was none of the marketing and corporate stuff like today. You cant compare it. The point is right now and the future - the potential of the JO is massive.

Why does it matter where the population is. If a person is going to start following us wouldn't it be as a kid and wouldn't it be because we are successful. They don't care where we train but if they did aren't there more kids out of the city than in the city area. I don't know many families who move into the city area when they have children but I know many who move to the suburbs when they have children. An adult isn't going to start following us after following the pies for 30 years just because we train at the JO 5 days a week.

Everyone thinks its a magical cure going to the JO. The facts at the moment show that the government aren't interested in helping us yet. TD from CV said it would be better if we weren't involved. Even if we are involved we are an after thought. We will be training at a park over the road from the JO. It doesn't sound that appealing to me yet with the facts on the table. There is plenty of fiction though that makes people feel better about the move. Hiopefully for you guys a bit of the fiction will become fact.
What does it matter where the population is? Lets just move to Tooradin then. Because it doesnt matter according to you - so lets just go somewhere cheap.

You also clearly dont understand the concept of population density and shifting demographics. You are stuck in the 70s and 80s. The fact is more people are having kids in inner urban areas. There would be many more kids within 10km of the JO compared to 10km of Seaford.

What will influence new members and kids is the brand and vibe and culture of the club (Look at Man U or Barcelona). Something we dont have at Seaford. You can argue until ur blue in the face that 'it doesnt matter where we train' but thankfully there are people in decision making positions of power who understand that the clubs base and heartland is much much more than a piece of grass to run around on. Thankfully some of them have larger and broader minds than yours. Heck some of them might even have passports and know of a world beyond the McKinnon and 4th grade Ammos.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: What will influence new members and kids is the brand and vibe and culture of the club (Look at Man U or Barcelona).

Edit: And sponsors! 8-)
... No idea why you mentioned soccer clubs...
('Disappointed' emoticon, please Mods.) P66, just when it looked like you were starting to 'get it'. :(

Now why on earth would Con reference two sporting clubs...?

that are known around the world...

that have merchandise (hint, displaying sponsors' logos) buying supporters around the world...

merchandise buying supporters... in countries where soccer isn't even the dominant sporting code... :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda is a funky place but we are already St Kilda.

If there is a buck to be made from merchandising this fact we should already be making it.

If kids are going to buy St Kilda gear it will be because of the name, the colours, the design and the success of the team that wears it.

They are not going to stop and ask the cashier "where does this team train?"

I repeat, we already are the St Kilda Football Club :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: What will influence new members and kids is the brand and vibe and culture of the club (Look at Man U or Barcelona).

('Disappointed' emoticon, please Mods.) P66, just when it looked like you were starting to 'get it'. :(

that have merchandise (hint, displaying sponsors' logos) buying supporters around the world...

merchandise buying supporters... in countries where soccer isn't even the dominant sporting code... :idea:

Because Dave mentioning them doesn't have anything to do with us maybe moving to St Kilda. Should I mention Melbourne City or Melbourne United?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Because Dave mentioning them doesn't have anything to do with us maybe moving to St Kilda. Should I mention Melbourne City or Melbourne United?
Free country, so you can if you wish, but why those two teams, P66?

Are they world wide 'brands'?

Are they planning on moving to St Kilda?

Doc, we are certainly the St Kilda footy club, but we are currently a long way from our St Kilda birthplace, and hence a long way from that whole very marketable vibe that goes with the iconic suburb of St Kilda.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I'm looking forward to us all being at the JO where you guys can kiss and make up over a tasty pot.

Happy to have a drink but I doubt they will sell grog at a place over the road from the JO and I have also given up watching training. maybe a beer at Etihad when we actually watch a game.
Well just have one to celebrate our move there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I'm looking forward to us all being at the JO where you guys can kiss and make up over a tasty pot.

Happy to have a drink but I doubt they will sell grog at a place over the road from the JO and I have also given up watching training. maybe a beer at Etihad when we actually watch a game.
Well just have one to celebrate our move there.

We have played in Etihad for years though.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:St Kilda is a funky place but we are already St Kilda.

If there is a buck to be made from merchandising this fact we should already be making it.

If kids are going to buy St Kilda gear it will be because of the name, the colours, the design and the success of the team that wears it.

They are not going to stop and ask the cashier "where does this team train?"

I repeat, we already are the St Kilda Football Club :?
yeah. which is why we have the lowest sponsorship and biggest debt in the AFL.
wake up doc. or you think Seaford was a good move?
if you are going to pipe in please list why you think Archie Fraser made a prudent decision?
Can you back yourself up or will you go back to just doing jpegs and one liners?
Or are you so pissweak you just support p66 cos he posts a lot?
Tell us all why you back Archie? Im all ears.
Whether it was a good or bad move or a prudent decision or not really depends on the alternatives at the time. With Kingston council shafting us at Moorabbin, I don't think Archie had too many options - Seaford was the best of a bad lot. FOr what it's worth, I think a move to training at JO as part of an overall bayside marketing strategy could only enhance our brand, as long as we don't get screwed by CV.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It would appear that this thread has (like many threads) become a wee bit more about the personalities making the posts than the actual subject of the thread. I realise of course that the issue of our "spiritual home" is an emotive one, and each of us will have an opinion on the matter, it makes for an interesting debate. However, getting back to the point; the whole "Moorabbin redevelopment" saga couldn't have been scripted better by the team at Working Dog productions, and responsibility for the outcome can be laid at the feet of many. The reality is that we DO have a good facility at Seaford; I have been down there on several occasions and it compares (IMHO) most favourably with Moorabbin. The training facilities are LIGHT YEARS ahead of those available to the club at Moorabbin, and most players and staff ( apart from those who don't like the drive :roll: ) have echoed this. Would I like to see our club with a home at Junction Oval? Well, if it is OUR home, and not shared ( because I'm only too aware of how some of our "deals" have a habit of shafting us ultimately) a clearly identifiable base for the St Kilda Football Club, and ours to own for a LONG time, then Im in favour, who wouldn't be? Is this a priority for me? Not on your nelly! There are certainly warm fuzzy feelgood vibes surrounding the concept, but at the risk of repeating myself, we've had " warm, fuzzy feelgood vibes " at our club on more occasions than I care to remember, and they have yielded little TANGIBLE success on the paddock! Certainly, EXPLORE the viability of the move, but for Gods sake stay focussed on getting this club right ONFIELD!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
avid
Club Player

Bring the Saints Home (facebook) is reporting:
"Press conference at the JO this morning. Daniel Andrews confirming no Saints as part of the development."

Doesn't seem real, on Xmas Eve, with no public discussion at all.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Cricket Victoria ‏@cricketvictoria (24/12)
Premier @DanielAndrewsMP after announcing the fast tracking of funding for the Victorian Cricket and Community Centre pic.twitter.com/cOSBqBMMLf

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/1 ... cg-for-afl

Cricket Victoria ‏@cricketvictoria
Victorian Premier @DanielAndrewsMP announcing the Junction Oval project will commence in 2015 as a cricket-only venue

Martin Blake retweeted
Adam White ‏@White_Adam
Great news @cricketvictoria will have an exclusive facility at the Junction Oval. It deserves its own venue that it doesn't have to share.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:Martin Blake retweeted
Adam White ‏@White_Adam
Great news @cricketvictoria will have an exclusive facility at the Junction Oval. It deserves its own venue that it doesn't have to share.
If we are to be in the Junction precinct I would prefer us to be standalone, even if it means duplication of facilities.
Of course, there are then questions of cost, space, community support......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Martin Blake retweeted
Adam White ‏@White_Adam
If we are to be in the Junction precinct I would prefer us to be standalone, even if it means duplication of facilities.
Of course, there are then questions of cost, space, community support......

Well that wont be happening now by the looks of it. They either need to make Seaford work or move back to Moorabbin when it is fixed up.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

In all honesty, I'm glad it's sorted. It sounds (to me) as if the whole exercise was a cack-handed affair from the start, and (again only in my humble opinion) I've seen us on the end of just too many "cack-handed affairs" It makes perfect sense (to me) for the club to accept reality and what we have got at Seaford, make a concerted effort to get us successful ON FIELD, and keep ALL options for Moorabbin OPEN! Perhaps we can utilize Seaford as a part of becoming competetive on field, and with the revenue flowing from this, begin to build a "war chest" with the view of moving back to Moorabbin over a period of time!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/1 ... cg-for-afl

Cricket Victoria ‏@cricketvictoria
Victorian Premier @DanielAndrewsMP announcing the Junction Oval project will commence in 2015 as a cricket-only venue

Martin Blake retweeted
Adam White ‏@White_Adam
and thank the lord for that

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1 Time to move on. Time to get cracking for another build up toward the Flag we all so desperately want to see flying over our club!

Playon
Club Player

Can we still ask the afl for the money? Moorabbin could use all we can get :)

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:I think it be fantastic if this happens however i'm sure in 3 years will still be training at seaford !
from 6 weeks ago
zut alors !

In red white and black from 73
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2don7.html
Cricket Victoria's preference, along with that of various local sporting clubs, is to keep the Saints out of the precinct. But the AFL indicated it was not ready to lie down.
"The AFL congratulates the government on the announcement of the Junction Oval project today, and looks forwards to continued discussions with them on the potential for the St Kilda Football Club to be part of the future at the Junction," an AFL spokesman said.

A Saints spokeswoman said the club's sentiments reflected those of the league.

The news that Cricket Victoria would be moving to the Junction by 2017 is a major boon for the AFL, freeing the MCG up for earlier football use. The AFL has sought in recent years to start its season earlier in a bid to keep up with the opening dates of the NRL and Super Rugby Season.

Andrews said on Wednesday that the move for cricket was long overdue.

"We'll always have the MCG, but a new Junction Oval will fill a void and help bring more major events to our state," he said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

So does this mean that if Victoria are in the Sheffield Shield final that it WON'T be played at the MCG?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:In all honesty, I'm glad it's sorted. It sounds (to me) as if the whole exercise was a cack-handed affair from the start, and (again only in my humble opinion) I've seen us on the end of just too many "cack-handed affairs" It makes perfect sense (to me) for the club to accept reality and what we have got at Seaford, make a concerted effort to get us successful ON FIELD, and keep ALL options for Moorabbin OPEN! Perhaps we can utilize Seaford as a part of becoming competetive on field, and with the revenue flowing from this, begin to build a "war chest" with the view of moving back to Moorabbin over a period of time!
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 26 Dec 2014 7:23am, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:So does this mean that if Victoria are in the Sheffield Shield final that it WON'T be played at the MCG?
Considering the highest attendance in the last 10 years for a day of a Shield final is 7500, I don't think that will be a problem.