Welcome Ryan Abbott

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome Ryan Abbott

That's probably a bit cruel. He was another ruck victim who fell short in his development because Goddard and Paddy gave us nothing as KPPs and he was developing as a tall swingman and ruck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 11:52am
B.M wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 11:14am Pierce was tracking ok for a 3rd ruckman until 2019

He was a giraffe when drafted, never a short term pick, ruckmen rarel are... don’t expect to see either Bell or Alabakis for a long while, if at all.
Pierce was very good in the preseason game and round one this year before he was struck down with concussion.

Some posters either have very short memories or are very poor judges of football talent.
No, we just are not oblivious to Pierce missing most of last year due to concussion. Maybe you are suffering from that memory issue as seem to have blanked out this fact.

He is gone.
Paddy is gone.
Stevens is gone
Dempster is gone.

Time to move on and go with players who can actually be likely to be able to play as a back-up ruck in 2020.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 8:08pm
saynta wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 11:52am
B.M wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 11:14am Pierce was tracking ok for a 3rd ruckman until 2019

He was a giraffe when drafted, never a short term pick, ruckmen rarel are... don’t expect to see either Bell or Alabakis for a long while, if at all.
Pierce was very good in the preseason game and round one this year before he was struck down with concussion.

Some posters either have very short memories or are very poor judges of football talent.
No, we just are not oblivious to Pierce missing most of last year due to concussion. Maybe you are suffering from that memory issue as seem to have blanked out this fact.

He is gone.
Paddy is gone.
Stevens is gone
Dempster is gone.

Time to move on and go with players who can actually be likely to be able to play as a back-up ruck in 2020.
I said "before he was struck down with concussion" ffs.

I stick by what I posted

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lol

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:37pm You need

1 Ruckman
1 Forward Ruckman
1 Back Up Ruckman
1 Developing Rickman

Not hard to understand, is it?
"Simples"

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Simply looking at cold hard facts, Pierce got a look in for a handful of games late 2018 after both Hickey and Longer went down.

He played one really good one and a few more serviceable.

He was very much the victim of a lack of faith and development by the previous regimen that put so little into him that he went to Frankston to play as a ruck. Holmes was ahead of him.

Pre-season 2019 is fast becoming the most overrated patch of time in history... yeah he looked alright. Wouldn’t have played in rd1 if Longer was fit or we hadn’t traded Hickey. His performance was mediocre.

Had 6 disposals and was smashed in the ruck by Witts

Overtaken by Marshall and left behind.

Delisted and didn’t get a look in anywhere else. Had a wholly mediocre career. Played less than Brandon White did

freely
SS Hall of Fame

This is weird. I thought the overwhelming concensus on this board was that richo needed his head tested for selecting pierce in round 1.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 12:38am This is weird. I thought the overwhelming concensus on this board was that richo needed his head tested for selecting pierce in round 1.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember it being that big a deal in rd1

I think post Marshall breaking out it was just became another commonly highlighted example of Richo’s poor judgement when it came to identifying the talent he wanted to persevere with. The bigger issue was that he hadn’t played more earlier... even if he want ready to run out games as a sole ruck, he could have played forward more and chopped out especially given we were light for talls

And the only reason it gathered even that much steam was because of the ‘Richo is so unfairly judged’ crusade that swept through here contrary to all the evidence

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 12:57am
freely wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 12:38am This is weird. I thought the overwhelming concensus on this board was that richo needed his head tested for selecting pierce in round 1.

I think post Marshall breaking out it was just became another commonly highlighted example of Richo’s poor judgement when it came to identifying the talent he wanted to persevere with. The bigger issue was that he hadn’t played more earlier... even if he want ready to run out games as a sole ruck, he could have played forward more and chopped out especially given we were light for talls

And the only reason it gathered even that much steam was because of the ‘Richo is so unfairly judged’ crusade that swept through here contrary to all the evidence
Both Marshall and Pierce were given a run in the preseason comp. Pierce's form was better hence he was picked for round one. Unfortunately he received a knock early resulting in concussion ans didn't play again. Bit of a tragedy really. He won the Best and Fairest at Frankston after missing games when he returned to play more than serviceable games for the Saints.

As I said before some posters have short memories.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 10:00am

Both Marshall and Pierce were given a run in the preseason comp. Pierce's form was better hence he was picked for round one. Unfortunately he received a knock early resulting in concussion ans didn't play again. Bit of a tragedy really. He won the Best and Fairest at Frankston after missing games when he returned to play more than serviceable games for the Saints.

Pierce did not receive that knock in the round 1 game. He received it in the first minutes of his only JLT game.

He got one possession before that so I’m not sure how his form was better than Marshall’s.

He was beaten easily by Witts in Round 1. He was dropped after that game and then reports emerged of delayed concussion symptoms.

But maybe I’m wrong. Short memories and all that.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 9:15pm

I stick by what I posted
Now I know you memory is going. You posted this earlier in THIS thread.
saynta wrote: Tue 26 Nov 2019 1:29pm
As someone else posted Pierce would have been a better option that Abbott.
You WERE clearly advocating Pierce instead of Abbott.

Abbott is a recent acquisition and so in stating "before he was struck down with concussion" you are off with the fairies as the decision to take Abbott was AFTER "before he was struck down with concussion" and so that will have been part of the thought process to delist Pierce and get Abbott.

If you want to go back to what players were, then let's get Carl back. The rest of us will look at the club's decision to recruit in the here and now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

A lot of ruckmen were beaten by Witts

He’s a monster and had a great season

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 10:15am

Pierce did not receive that knock in the round 1 game. He received it in the first minutes of his only JLT game.

He got one possession before that so I’m not sure how his form was better than Marshall’s.

He was beaten easily by Witts in Round 1. He was dropped after that game and then reports emerged of delayed concussion symptoms.

It's fun when we get to make up our own narrative

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 12:10pm A lot of ruckmen were beaten by Witts

He’s a monster and had a great season
Absolutely.

But the conversation is whether or not Pierce's injury derailed his obvious AFL career.

The facts speak for themselves. He never cemented spot in the top 22 in 5 years... was for the most part second fiddle to every other ruck on the list and rather than persevere through his concussion issues like they tried with Paddy... they cut him right away.

I strongly believe he was under utilised and underdeveloped absolutely... but the club clearly didn't rate him. They didn't. Outside of his debut, he did not ONCE get a game ahead of other rucks without injury being a factor

Saynta's view is completely delusional and it's funny because he applies a set of standards to White and won't apply the same ones to a player that performed much much much worse.

It's a fascinating exploration of the mind

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 11:42am
saynta wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 9:15pm

I stick by what I posted
Now I know you memory is going. You posted this earlier in THIS thread.
saynta wrote: Tue 26 Nov 2019 1:29pm
As someone else posted Pierce would have been a better option that Abbott.
You WERE clearly advocating Pierce instead of Abbott.

Abbott is a recent acquisition and so in stating "before he was struck down with concussion" you are off with the fairies as the decision to take Abbott was AFTER "before he was struck down with concussion" and so that will have been part of the thought process to delist Pierce and get Abbott.

If you want to go back to what players were, then let's get Carl back. The rest of us will look at the club's decision to recruit in the here and now.
No I wasn't. If you were more switched on you might have hazarded a guess I was in fact INTIMATING that I couldn't understand replacing Pierce with an inferior footballer.

He played some good games in 2018 before he was struck down with concussion. Would have still been a better backup option than what we now have.

Anyway, why do you see the need to be so rude? :roll:

Shaggy
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 10:15am

You missed the intra club match when Lewis beat Rowan in the play off for first ruck.

Next match Pierce was knocked out early in JLT 1.

He was selected for round 1 for his first match since being knocked out. Clearly should not have played and has not played since.

I also remember Stone Cold calling Pierce’s concussion problems being so severe the club feared his career may be over and that was early in the season.