Howard the steal of the trade period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Howard the steal of the trade period

Devilhead wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 8:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 7:39am
Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 5:27pm It all seems pretty straightforward to me

Saints engage Howard's manager at the start of 2019 season.

Port only catch wind re: of him talking to Saints - late in the season (and are pissed)

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard
Your 3rd and 4th sentence is more plausible than our club started the ball rolling on a trade early on in the season. However if your theory is remotely true then that is remarkably immature on Port's behalf. But I'm not convinced that the trade was due to engaging a trade early on in the season. The speculation in your 3rd and 4th sentence seems too petty and childish and surely elite clubs don't kick own-goals that recklessly.

We swooped late in the season and capitalised on a dramatic and sudden falling out between player and club towards the end of the season.
Saintmatt mentioned earlier in the thread that we were speaking with his manager early on in 2019 - Port absolutely very likely did not know this

I would say the sudden falling out was when Port found out that Howard or at least his manager had been talking with us

The fact that they were playing him all over the place helped justify his decision to want out of his contract

Port could have held him to his contract but it could be that the relationship between him and Hinkley was irrepairable

Seems like Port is not a very happy place currently - aging stars, a few bad trade ins, a coach that missed his window, 1 final in last 5 years, player scandals (Watts & SPP)
Correct. That’s pretty much it. SecretKiel seems to be hoping that we made a blunder rather than executing a steal. What a killjoy. SK must also believe that all clubs only start scouting each other’s players during trade week. SK also likely believes in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

As for Port .. you forgot to mention last years captain is no longer captain because he was busted trying to execute a trade to Carlton.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 9:01pm
Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 5:27pm It all seems pretty straightforward to me

Port only catch wind re: of him talking to Saints - late in the season (and are pissed)

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard
Your 3rd and 4th sentence is more plausible than our club started the ball rolling on a trade early on in the season. However if your theory is remotely true then that is remarkably immature on Port's behalf. But I'm not convinced that the trade was due to engaging a trade early on in the season. The speculation in your 3rd and 4th sentence seems too petty and childish and surely elite clubs don't kick own-goals that recklessly.

We swooped late in the season and capitalised on a dramatic and sudden falling out between player and club towards the end of the season.
Saintmatt mentioned earlier in the thread that we were speaking with his manager early on in 2019 - Port absolutely very likely did not know this

I would say the sudden falling out was when Port found out that Howard or at least his manager had been talking with us

The fact that they were playing him all over the place helped justify his decision to want out of his contract

Port could have held him to his contract but it could be that the relationship between him and Hinkley was irrepairable

Seems like Port is not a very happy place currently - aging stars, a few bad trade ins, a coach that missed his window, 1 final in last 5 years, player scandals (Watts & SPP)
Couple of points, firstly, how would a footy fan know if the club was speaking with his manager...full stop, let alone early in the season. So let's just put that part of the conversation in its right compartment.

Secondly, if Howard spat the dummy ala Carslile style because the coach wouldn't pander to him then how the hell can he be seen as a leader.

If he's that precious then he's anything but a leader. Something doesn't add up on that score.

Happy we recruited him but he's more potential than steal at this stage of the year.
You’re an idiot. Seriously - prize dill. How do you know I’m (just) “a footy fan”? Might I not be a club official’s spouse, a journo, brother / nephew of a player, a trainer’s best mate ... with greater access to accurate info than a mere footy fan?

You can whack that in its right compartment once you’ve figured it out.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 9:52pm

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Couple of points, firstly, how would a footy fan know if the club was speaking with his manager...full stop, let alone early in the season. So let's just put that part of the conversation in its right compartment.

Secondly, if Howard spat the dummy ala Carslile style because the coach wouldn't pander to him then how the hell can he be seen as a leader.

If he's that precious then he's anything but a leader. Something doesn't add up on that score.

Happy we recruited him but he's more potential than steal at this stage of the year.
You’re an idiot. Seriously - prize dill. How do you know I’m (just) “a footy fan”? Might I not be a club official’s spouse, a journo, brother / nephew of a player, a trainer’s best mate ... with greater access to accurate info than a mere footy fan?

You might also be a footy fan desperate to be known as an ITK.

People connected to the club in an official capacity either directly or indirectly are less inclined to want to big-note themselves on social media as they have more respect for the club and the people they know connected to the club by not divulging privillaged information.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would definitely agree that ppl masquerading as ITKs on a forum can be quite annoying... fortunately the few that plagued the forum for a while have buggered off.

Though the reality is one learns very quickly who to bother with and who to avoid.

Saint Matt has certainly given no indication that he should be doubted and his post on this matter at least seems measured. I enjoy his contributions

asiu
Saintsational Legend

8-)

i like well written

tick.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 8:00am I would definitely agree that ppl masquerading as ITKs on a forum can be quite annoying... fortunately the few that plagued the forum for a while have buggered off.

Though the reality is one learns very quickly who to bother with and who to avoid.

Saint Matt has certainly given no indication that he should be doubted and his post on this matter at least seems measured. I enjoy his contributions
Spot on skeptic, this forum has been far more pleasant and less argumentative since our resident fake ITK deparTED :D

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 7:47am

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

People connected to the club in an official capacity either directly or indirectly are less inclined to want to big-note themselves on social media as they have more respect for the club and the people they know connected to the club by not divulging privillaged information.
FFS man - leave the room and give yourself an uppercut. For the record - I'm not an ITK. Don't want to be. However, you - simple person - refuse to acknowledge that from time to time - mere mortal footy fans become privy to information that they are willing to share that incriminates no one however, provides some context and understanding around certain outcomes that have occurred. Like how Howard came to St Kilda.

FWIW - the Gallagher speaking with Trotter matter early in the 2019 season is not even an open kind of secret. You can find this out yourself if you did a little deeper using skills than you clearly don't have.

Seriously - have a spell - you're continually embarrassing yourself on this.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 9:30am
skeptic wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 8:00am I would definitely agree that ppl masquerading as ITKs on a forum can be quite annoying... fortunately the few that plagued the forum for a while have buggered off.

Spot on skeptic, this forum has been far more pleasant and less argumentative since our resident fake ITK deparTED :D
I'm hearing whispers that he now is working his magic at big footballer.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 10:08am
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 9:30am

I'm hearing whispers that he now is working his magic at big footballer.
Wonder if he's still private messaging Tony1975?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

de part TED

:P
my glasses are full of tears

woulda choked on my cornies if was eating any

ahhhhhh
how funny it all is

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 9:32am
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 7:47am

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

FFS man - leave the room and give yourself an uppercut. For the record - I'm not an ITK. Don't want to be. However, you - simple person - refuse to acknowledge that from time to time - mere mortal footy fans become privy to information that they are willing to share that incriminates no one however, provides some context and understanding around certain outcomes that have occurred. Like how Howard came to St Kilda.

FWIW - the Gallagher speaking with Trotter matter early in the 2019 season is not even an open kind of secret. You can find this out yourself if you did a little deeper using skills than you clearly don't have.

Seriously - have a spell - you're continually embarrassing yourself on this.
If you go back and read my input in the thread you may discover I am not criticizsing the club's decision to recruit, so far from it actually. I think I've even stated that, AND gone on further to add I'm happy we made the recruitment.

What has happened is I questioned an aspect that relates to the what might have happened at Port, in particular the Captaincy. And that was immediately met with abuse and put downs, and qualifications of your ITK status, thus I assume as a way of intimdatation against any further discussion on the matter. You seem to be very combative and quick to abuse if anyone questions you.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm.not sure Ted has departed.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 03 Feb 2020 3:30pm
If you go back and read my input in the thread you may discover I am not criticizsing the club's decision to recruit, so far from it actually. I think I've even stated that, AND gone on further to add I'm happy we made the recruitment.

What has happened is I questioned an aspect that relates to the what might have happened at Port, in particular the Captaincy. And that was immediately met with abuse and put downs, and qualifications of your ITK status, thus I assume as a way of intimdatation against any further discussion on the matter. You seem to be very combative and quick to abuse if anyone questions you.
Hardly abuse and put downs :roll:

Although I do remember someone wanting to put someone in a compartment :shock:

FWIW (my opinion only) - Howard captained Port for one game (Round 9 against GC at home) .... yep one game ..... due to injuries to senior players and maybe just maybe because the powers that be caught wind of ...... his unhappiness at being switched around and that his manager was talking shop elsewhere.

So in a nut shell they gift him the captaincy (for 1 game) thinking that this might change his mind and bring him onside .... they even emphasise that " We believe that Dougal is an emerging leader of our Football Club" .... but ...... it doesn't work as he still is determined to bail especially after they keep playing him as a utility

Once this has become crystal clear Port make up their mind to move him on whilst he still has super value (ie: contracted with 2 years to run) as why would you persevere with player whose heart & soul is in limbo?

Of course why would you also play a player in the senior side if you are going to ship him ...... so they drop him for the last 4 games after finals is out of reach ...... knowing that they will still get market value given his age and potential

I hope you aren't intimidated by this awesome opinion 8-)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Harves Man
Club Player

WholehearTedly agree, Skepmeister and like you, I enjoy Saintmatt's contributions on this thread and generally.

I also enjoyed the way CQ Saint and Devilhead were kicking around some ideas about possible goings on, both at our Saints and another club and I thought that this sort of exploration is what a forum like Saintsational is all about.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 1:20am

FWIW (my opinion only) - Howard captained Port for one game (Round 9 against GC at home) .... yep one game ..... due to injuries to senior players and maybe just maybe because the powers that be caught wind of ...... his unhappiness at being switched around and that his manager was talking shop elsewhere.

So in a nut shell they gift him the captaincy (for 1 game) thinking that this might change his mind and bring him onside .... they even emphasise that " We believe that Dougal is an emerging leader of our Football Club" .... but ...... it doesn't work as he still is determined to bail especially after they keep playing him as a utility

Once this has become crystal clear Port make up their mind to move him on whilst he still has super value (ie: contracted with 2 years to run) as why would you persevere with player whose heart & soul is in limbo?

Of course why would you also play a player in the senior side if you are going to ship him ...... so they drop him for the last 4 games after finals is out of reach ...... knowing that they will still get market value given his age and potential

So a couple of points, does a professional elite sporting organisation devalue its assets for petty and childish reasons?

Does it also devalue and mock the esteemed and privileged position of Captain to play games knowing a player is unhappy or deciding to leave, especially one that has only played 30ish games and hasn't earnt the respect of the comp for being some type of champion and also risk creating resentment within your own playing list. Do you give him the Captaincy at risk of destabilizing the group becuse it is highly possible the rest of the group know the player has got the sooks on becuse the coach wont play you in your desired position.

We are talking about a multi billion dollar industry, it's not a local footy club and I just find it highly doubtful elite clubs are run like an episode of days of our lives.

And if any of that is remotely true then it highlights some really serious issues within the Port club at present. It also raises questions about Howard and his alledged leadership qualities with regards to the appropriateness of accepting the Captaincy under those theorissed conditions. Put it this way if his teammates knew he had no intention of sticking around then they would he justified in being resentful towards him for accepting the captaincy. They might also be resentful that a player is being thrown the Captaincy to make him happy cause his sooky about not playing his postion. Just don't think an AFL coach or club is that ametuerish.

My points, my opinions. I'm creating discussion. Over to you.

To the top
SS Life Member

When former teammates catch up, which happens, and one is now a List Manager and the other a Player Manager the conversation may wander to the logistical requirements of a Club player wise and the potential availability of players on the Player Manager’s books - and if there is any matching

Hypothetical of course - for the sake of discussion

But, sometimes something more comes from such a conversation - including by the Player Manager getting back to the List Manager

“You know how you were saying ...... Well what is your response to .........”

And the List Manager puts an offer on the table - duly accepted by the Player Manager after consultation with his client

Howard and where he plays on the field is not an issue

Howard is now at St Kilda with a longer term Contract than was on offer at Alberton and earning more money than he was at Alberton

Deal done

From little things big things grow

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 7:44am

I'm beginning to see Kielly's point. It's not like Port is America and Trump is in charge, hey?

So a couple of points, does a professional elite sporting organisation devalue its assets for petty and childish reasons?

Does it also devalue and mock the esteemed and privileged position of Captain to play games knowing a player is unhappy or deciding to leave, especially one that has only played 30ish games and hasn't earnt the respect of the comp for being some type of champion and also risk creating resentment within your own playing list. Do you give him the Captaincy at risk of destabilizing the group becuse it is highly possible the rest of the group know the player has got the sooks on becuse the coach wont play you in your desired position.

We are talking about a multi billion dollar industry, it's not a local footy club and I just find it highly doubtful elite clubs are run like an episode of days of our lives.

And if any of that is remotely true then it highlights some really serious issues within the Port club at present. It also raises questions about Howard and his alledged leadership qualities with regards to the appropriateness of accepting the Captaincy under those theorissed conditions. Put it this way if his teammates knew he had no intention of sticking around then they would he justified in being resentful towards him for accepting the captaincy. They might also be resentful that a player is being thrown the Captaincy to make him happy cause his sooky about not playing his postion. Just don't think an AFL coach or club is that ametuerish.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm beginning to see those points. Like its not like Port is comparable to say America and some nuff nuff like Trump is in charge, is it, or Australia and Morrison, no. No political agendas at PA FFS!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 9:47am

I'm beginning to see those points. Like its not like Port is comparable to say America and some nuff nuff like Trump is in charge, is it, or Australia and Morrison, no. No political agendas at PA FFS!
I'm beginning to think you like me.

To the top
SS Life Member

Is that the Trump who has trashed regulation (including regulation introduced after the GFC), reduced taxes to the wealthy and jaw boned down interest rates looking for them to break below zero - plus is running up government debt at a rate never before experienced with no end in sight?

I don't think any organization would survive with Trump at the controls.

Or his PR driven clones.

Not even Port Adelaide!

No wonder Hawthorn are sticking with their Pokies.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 1:09pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 9:47am

I'm beginning to think you like me.
I was going to say it was 'tongue in cheek' but you may think I am making a pass. 😜

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1
Club Player

Thought this thread deserved a bump. I'll put my hand up and admit I wasn't sure what the hype was all about at first but the last few weeks and last nights performance has changed my mind. This kid could be a star in a few years. His read of the play, body positioning and spoiling are already looking elite. He may be the steal after all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

op is spot on. Good work. Also worth the bump

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Our future backline - haven't incl. Brown, Webster, Savage or Geary

Carlisle - 28
Austin - 25
Howard - 24
Wilkie - 24