Time to get ruthless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Time to get ruthless

Teflon wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 9:56pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 7:30am
Teflon wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 10:41pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 8:18am
bigred wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 12:00am Just one question with all of the above.

Is it going to get us closer to a flag?

In all honesty that needs to be the first question asked when going throught the motions.

Is bringing in Gunston and trading out Membrey going to put us closer to a flag?
No, I don't think so.

Gunston is almost 29, Membrey 26. You always overpay when getting an established player in, I can't see the logic.

Anyway, over the last 5 years, since Membrey started playing full seasons with Saints, even though playing in less games, he has kicked and averaged more goals than Gunston, averaged the same no. of marks, and kicked more accurately. So no thanks.

Gunston is a good player, and would be handy, but not at the cost of Membrey.
With all due respect avg stats this year have Billings ahead of Bont in many areas
I know who I’m taking

No they don't, Bont is ahead in virtually all avg stats. I'd take Bont over Billings too, but rate Billings higher than you.

Membrey stays. Billings stays. If we can somehow get Gunston using Carlisle, I would go for it. Not sure Carlisle has much trade value at all.
Sorry correct on Bont he’s a superstar

But If I look at avg disposal this year Martin sits at 46 and Billings at 55.....but the point is we all know that gaps a little larger than what stats might suggest don’t we?
One shows up in big games and wins matches ....the other not so much...
I rate on what I see and after 7 years I reckon we’ve seen the best Jack as a HFF (that’s what he really is) has to offer if you could use him to prize a v good mid from another club why wouldn’t you ??
Nice deflection back to Billings from the Gunston/Membrey issue. Good that you have seen reason re Membrey.

Billings for mid ---- why not have both?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 8:46am

In all honesty that needs to be the first question asked when going throught the motions.

Is bringing in Gunston and trading out Membrey going to put us closer to a flag?
No, I don't think so.

Gunston is almost 29, Membrey 26. You always overpay when getting an established player in, I can't see the logic.

Anyway, over the last 5 years, since Membrey started playing full seasons with Saints, even though playing in less games, he has kicked and averaged more goals than Gunston, averaged the same no. of marks, and kicked more accurately. So no thanks.

With all due respect avg stats this year have Billings ahead of Bont in many areas
I know who I’m taking

No they don't, Bont is ahead in virtually all avg stats. I'd take Bont over Billings too, but rate Billings higher than you.

Membrey stays. Billings stays. If we can somehow get Gunston using Carlisle, I would go for it. Not sure Carlisle has much trade value at all.

But If I look at avg disposal this year Martin sits at 46 and Billings at 55.....but the point is we all know that gaps a little larger than what stats might suggest don’t we?
I rate on what I see and after 7 years I reckon we’ve seen the best Jack as a HFF (that’s what he really is) has to offer if you could use him to prize a v good mid from another club why wouldn’t you ??
Nice deflection back to Billings from the Gunston/Membrey issue. Good that you have seen reason re Membrey.

Sorry you’ve missed the point again
If I had a choice Membrey or Gunston I’m taking Gunston.....thought I’d been relatively clear on that
If I’ve got to trade up to get some value to do a v good mid deal Billings goes to
How you getting both ? We aren’t front runners for Williams

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 8:21pm

No, I don't think so.

I know who I’m taking

If I had a choice Membrey or Gunston I’m taking Gunston.....thought I’d been relatively clear on that
If I’ve got to trade up to get some value to do a v good mid deal Billings goes to
Williams nothing to do with it. You've missed the point again.
I don't know who vgood mid is. Who does he play for? We have no chance for the A graders, ie Martin, Fyfe, Neale, etc. So who on the lesser mid rung is vgood, gettable and worth using Billings for?
You have gone the wrong way around, looked through our list, worked out who we could get a good pick/trade for, and put them up for trade, with no target in mind. Works the other way round - who do we need that is at least remotely gettable, would improve the team, and how do we get them?

I'm happy with a Caldwell, a young mid with potential, and we don't need Billings to get him or similar. Then we have both, you see? (Billings & Caldwell). Is that clear? Then there are RFAs.

We have a good developing team, need to build on it, but no need to panic and trade out our better players.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If I could have the 2015 Gunston, yes! But Gunston today against Membrey, I'll take Membrey. True, add Gunston to our forward line with Membrey, that is perfect. The same if we could add Breust instead of Kent.

We have an opportunity here, select quality without costing the farm, perhaps we hasten the future. If not, cool our jets & develop.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 9:46pm

No, I don't think so.

I know who I’m taking

I don't know who vgood mid is. Who does he play for? We have no chance for the A graders, ie Martin, Fyfe, Neale, etc. So who on the lesser mid rung is vgood, gettable and worth using Billings for?
You have gone the wrong way around, looked through our list, worked out who we could get a good pick/trade for, and put them up for trade, with no target in mind. Works the other way round - who do we need that is at least remotely gettable, would improve the team, and how do we get them?

I'm happy with a Caldwell, a young mid with potential, and we don't need Billings to get him or similar. Then we have both, you see? (Billings & Caldwell). Is that clear? Then there are RFAs.

We have a good developing team, need to build on it, but no need to panic and trade out our better players.
Again odd thinking and please feel free to rip off more of my response ....you know the old “imitation is the greatest.....”
Why is there only 1 “way round” to look at our list and prize a v good mid from another side??? What if a J Billings tempted a GWS who would rather trade J Kelly this year then next when he’s FA..?..
There’s a name......and scenario
Now please enlighten me on how that doesn’t improve our list, fill a need...?.....
Let me guess.......Jacks stats aren’t far off Kelly’s and he has potential.........
It amazes me some people are happy to just sit and wait till a name is delivered.......I don’t think behind the scenes that’s how it works at all and players are dangled all the time,..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:31pm If I could have the 2015 Gunston, yes! But Gunston today against Membrey, I'll take Membrey. True, add Gunston to our forward line with Membrey, that is perfect. The same if we could add Breust instead of Kent.

We have an opportunity here, select quality without costing the farm, perhaps we hasten the future. If not, cool our jets & develop.
Interesting to look at these forwards in 2020
Gunston in a poor Hawks side has better avg performances in

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Contested and uncontested possessions
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

Stats aren’t everything but in a shyte side that tells me this guy goes ok and more than any of that under pressure he holds his nerve....Gunston for mine

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:31pm If I could have the 2015 Gunston, yes! But Gunston today against Membrey, I'll take Membrey. True, add Gunston to our forward line with Membrey, that is perfect. The same if we could add Breust instead of Kent.

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

Stats aren’t everything but in a shyte side that tells me this guy goes ok and more than any of that under pressure he holds his nerve....Gunston for mine

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon, you are possibly correct but one of the reasons a Kelly looks & is attractive is because we already have a Billings. Hill complements Billings, as does Steele & Jones, we need a AA to complement all of them. Ideally it is a Kelly or a Caldwell plus a Greene.

The trick to trading is identifying a player from a club you need, and if needed, trade a player you don't require. St Kilda requires JB. Look at our small forwards, Butler is sublime yet Hind, Lonie, Kent & Parker are trapped in a revolving door that leads them & us no where.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:51pm

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

I've not looked at stats but I'm interested to know how the 2019 ones look.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:51pm Teflon, you are possibly correct but one of the reasons a Kelly looks & is attractive is because we already have a Billings. Hill complements Billings, as does Steele & Jones, we need a AA to complement all of them. Ideally it is a Kelly or a Caldwell plus a Greene.

The trick to trading is identifying a player from a club you need, and if needed, trade a player you don't require. St Kilda requires JB. Look at our small forwards, Butler is sublime yet Hind, Lonie, Kent & Parker are trapped in a revolving door that leads them & us no where.
I agree and in a perfect world we’d trade Kent for Kelly and just keep all our v good players .....but the world doesn’t work like that so you have to look at the lesser of two evils
Billings imo is a good HFF he’s handy (not in big games) GWS wouldn’t be interested in Ross...you have to give to get
Kelly would elevate our midfield enormously and give us inside/outside class immediately
Anyway it’s a good discussion but sometimes you bring in a player.....lose a player and have to still ask yourself......have we taken the overall list forward and I think this trade would be yes.

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:57pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:51pm Teflon, you are possibly correct but one of the reasons a Kelly looks & is attractive is because we already have a Billings. Hill complements Billings, as does Steele & Jones, we need a AA to complement all of them. Ideally it is a Kelly or a Caldwell plus a Greene.

I agree and in a perfect world we’d trade Kent for Kelly and just keep all our v good players .....but the world doesn’t work like that so you have to look at the lesser of two evils
Billings imo is a good HFF he’s handy (not in big games) GWS wouldn’t be interested in Ross...you have to give to get
Kelly would elevate our midfield enormously and give us inside/outside class immediately
Anyway it’s a good discussion but sometimes you bring in a player.....lose a player and have to still ask yourself......have we taken the overall list forward and I think this trade would be yes.
I'm not sure it's as simple as "have we taken the overall list forward", everything is a stepping stone or building block.

A player of Kelly's calibre can only be obtained through FA or a ridiculous price in RFA, costing a club nothing but salary cap.

I am happy to pay a salary cap fee because we've blown plenty of that on others. We have no need to add a player or draft pick, don't we ever learn?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:53pm

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

Membrey 0.7 ahead in goals (Gunston played 2 less games) , mark 0.1, cont marks,
Gunston ahead disposals, I50, Tackles, Goal Assists,

I’d argue one has maintained form in a poor side and I still think Gunston gets it done in big games and under pressure

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:39pm

No, I don't think so.

I know who I’m taking

Again odd thinking and please feel free to rip off more of my response ....you know the old “imitation is the greatest.....”
Why is there only 1 “way round” to look at our list and prize a v good mid from another side??? What if a J Billings tempted a GWS who would rather trade J Kelly this year then next when he’s FA..?..
Now please enlighten me on how that doesn’t improve our list, fill a need...?.....
Let me guess.......Jacks stats aren’t far off Kelly’s and he has potential.........
It amazes me some people are happy to just sit and wait till a name is delivered.......I don’t think behind the scenes that’s how it works at all and players are dangled all the time,..
So now you're back on Kelly? Earlier in the thread you stated "We aren’t getting Kelly" - which I agree with. Going round in circles. Can't think of anyone else?
Of course players are shopped around, but before they are the club has an idea of their needs and some targets.

I think I'll get off the merry go round now, looking forward to JB & Membrey playing in RWB next year, in a real season, with full time games.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:07pm

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

Membrey 0.7 ahead in goals (Gunston played 2 less games) , mark 0.1, cont marks,

I’d argue one has maintained form in a poor side and I still think Gunston gets it done in big games and under pressure
I expected better than selective stats after your previous group of stats and then follow up with the generic "gets it done in big games and under pressure". Both were players in poor sides in 2019 and were each other's equal. Membrey is 3 seasons younger, that makes it a no brainer.

Membrey has not had that opportunity in "big games" nor has he been surrounded by premiership players.

A little like claiming Mario Bortilotto to be a better player than Nick Riewoldt and the equal of Wayne Carey.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Let’s say you had to choose. Let’s say that both Skunk and JB have value and a few clubs want them.

Let’s say you have an offer to bring in a gun mid or a gun forward. Who would you choose and who does the team need more?

I know I’d choose mid and so would many others. Therefore I’d personally be willing to let go JB and see what unfolds

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:13pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:39pm

No, I don't think so.

I know who I’m taking

So now you're back on Kelly? Earlier in the thread you stated "We aren’t getting Kelly" - which I agree with. Going round in circles. Can't think of anyone else?
Of course players are shopped around, but before they are the club has an idea of their needs and some targets.

I think I'll get off the merry go round now, looking forward to JB & Membrey playing in RWB next year, in a real season, with full time games.
Lol yes best you jump off now...
You wanted a name ..I gave you one
You didnt answer if you’d do the Kelly deal btw?
And you don’t think the club has an idea of their needs and targets already?
I look forward to your continued embracing of mediocre performances and putting players on pedestals based on “potential “....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:27pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:07pm

Goals
Goal assist
Marks IF50
Tackles IF50
Disposals
Less clangers

He’s 28yrs 11mths
Membrey 26yrs 3mths

I expected better than selective stats after your previous group of stats and then follow up with the generic "gets it done in big games and under pressure". Both were players in poor sides in 2019 and were each other's equal. Membrey is 3 seasons younger, that makes it a no brainer.

Membrey has not had that opportunity in "big games" nor has he been surrounded by premiership players.

A little like claiming Mario Bortilotto to be a better player than Nick Riewoldt and the equal of Wayne Carey.
I expected you to do some of your own research and frankly couldn’t be arsed
You love Membrey - awesome
He’s mediocre this year against a guy playing in crud side but you need a business case to work that out..
Good luck with Mario Membrey !

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 12:14am Let’s say you had to choose. Let’s say that both Skunk and JB have value and a few clubs want them.

Let’s say you have an offer to bring in a gun mid or a gun forward. Who would you choose and who does the team need more?

I know I’d choose mid and so would many others. Therefore I’d personally be willing to let go JB and see what unfolds
Spot on mid for me too
Feel we’ve neglected this area in recruitment for a while or just not been able to get it done
Again all these saying “can’t let Jack/Tim go” put up nothing to suggest how the list is going to improve before Marshall is 44 years old...,
Gotta give to get - ofcourse you don’t give players away for free but if you know you have clear need (mid) then it’s smart to know what you might be prepared to give and what others value
After 7 years I know what Jack brings he ain’t going to be Bont now....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 11:04pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 10:57pm

I'm not sure it's as simple as "have we taken the overall list forward", everything is a stepping stone or building block.

A player of Kelly's calibre can only be obtained through FA or a ridiculous price in RFA, costing a club nothing but salary cap.

I am happy to pay a salary cap fee because we've blown plenty of that on others. We have no need to add a player or draft pick, don't we ever learn?
Ofcourse everything is a stepping stone but at some stage you look at those steps taken and assess - are we better off list wise now or not ? That occurs over time but if you have a need you feel you can cover and you have a gap you fill with an A grader for the release of said need....it’s a pretty simple equation??? Are you not better of?
I don’t think it’s that hard a concept tbh...

If we can just pay cap for all trades and not have to offer up anything then your theory works
Reality is others can pay lots too and often deals get done and picks and or players are traded for a reason

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Need midfield depth

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not impressed with Billings as the season has gone on- just hasn't looked interested. He owes us a big one tonight.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 8:16am Not impressed with Billings as the season has gone on- just hasn't looked interested. He owes us a big one tonight.
Yeah. Although Billings has never looked interested. I've started to think that's just what he looks like. So much promise, so little reward.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 8:16am Not impressed with Billings as the season has gone on- just hasn't looked interested. He owes us a big one tonight.
I think he's like a lot of players this year in the AFL and so I'm happy to cut him some and start judging him when full strength competition starts again.

From what I'm hearing it is one all expenses paid big party on the Gold Coast so why wouldn't you lap it up, no pun intended to the fallen Tiges players.