Guess who has a calf strain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Guess who has a calf strain?

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:50pm
lewdogs wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:44pm What a terrible signing. The club has gone backwards since we got Hannebery in and he wasn't even around to help us make finals against GWS and then win one against the Dogs.

Absolutely SHOCKING signing. Lethlean should be sacked for this, bloke just wanted to help out a mate and is sending this club backwards. Bring me back to the glory days of 2014 please before we had to put up with the likes of Dan Hannebery and Simon Lethlean.
Are you suggesting Hanners is the guy that’s turned us around?
He was part of a clear plan to get in people with premiership experience (in fact he was the first cab off the rank) that would help to raise training standards and expectations and I'd say it has worked. And he played a big part in our two biggest wins in a decade so that worked too.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:57pm
lewdogs wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:44pm What a terrible signing. The club has gone backwards since we got Hannebery in and he wasn't even around to help us make finals against GWS and then win one against the Dogs.

Absolutely SHOCKING signing. Lethlean should be sacked for this, bloke just wanted to help out a mate and is sending this club backwards. Bring me back to the glory days of 2014 please before we had to put up with the likes of Dan Hannebery and Simon Lethlean.
He was part of a clear plan to get in people with premiership experience (in fact he was the first cab off the rank) that would help to raise training standards and expectations and I'd say it has worked. And he played a big part in our two biggest wins in a decade so that worked too.
I don’t have a clue, but I agree with you. From the ‘vision’ I’ve seen DH looks like a good field lieutenant- and a support for Gears and co. (In the tiny amount of time he has actually been on the field)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I understand some are trying their best to justify the DH signing as a success so far, but it’s getting to the point of delusion.

If you paid top dollar for something and it only worked less than a 3rd of the time, and those times it did work it only worked well for maybe half that, you’d ask for a refund quick smart.

Also, by no means did DH have a significant part in the GWS win, wasn’t even in the best dozen players, that’s setting an incredibly low bar if that’s deemed a great game.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 9:29pm

I don’t have a clue, but I agree with you. From the ‘vision’ I’ve seen DH looks like a good field lieutenant- and a support for Gears and co. (In the tiny amount of time he has actually been on the field)
Interesting isn't it. In the last 2 years Geary has played less than 50% of games and Hanners less than 30 %, Brown bailed out after only playing 50%. Ryder was also cooked apparently. Hill was a disappointment, Carlisle is not a leader and has also miss a substantial number of games. Savage has been delisted after not much action in 2020 and Frawley now joins us with little expectation of playing in the best 22.

Yet somehow the younger players and new recruits have shone in that time.

Seems most of our experienced leaders and veterans have lead from sidelines and our new recruits and young guys have taken their opportunities with both hands.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My fascination with decorations is because you have to be good to receive them - pretty simple

Rob Harvey was an 8 time AA he got those accolades because he was a star.

BTW
After 1999 when Rob was 28
He had three seasons where he averaged around 10 games per season. Maybe we should have moved him on?

He was then AA in 2003 at 32yo and played for another 6 seasons. But he was a freak, point being - never write champions off.

Back to Hannebery

It’s his experience, and class we wanted and it’s why we signed him. If he gets back to 80% of his best, we have a very good player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Are you concerned that he injured his calf again which is the actual basis of this discussion?
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This conversation seems to be going in three directions

a) ppl that think DH injuring his calf is a concern
b) ppl that can’t see why a calf injury to DH is more concerning than it happening to anyone else
c) ppl that link his off-season set back to DH’s form from 5 years ago and feel like his good game in the first final as a justification of the trade and don’t seem to realise that we’re talking about injury

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:10pm

Are you concerned that he injured his calf again which is the actual basis of this discussion?
I think this thread went beyond concern for his calf to contempt for the risky decision to chase a player with his attributes.
No doubt everyone is concerned but the other benefits of having him around, preserving what is left of his ability to play and resourcing his experience, is not to be discounted.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:06pm My fascination with decorations is because you have to be good to receive them - pretty simple

BTW
He had three seasons where he averaged around 10 games per season. Maybe we should have moved him on?

He was then AA in 2003 at 32yo and played for another 6 seasons. But he was a freak, point being - never write champions off.

Back to Hannebery

It’s his experience, and class we wanted and it’s why we signed him. If he gets back to 80% of his best, we have a very good player.
The Harvey reference is just fabricated bulls***.

The only extended period of games missed by Harvey was 01 - 02 when he had a knee reco.

Fabricating a Harvey beyond 28 injury comparison to the soft tissue injuries of Hannebery is disingenuous at best.

Harvey ran with the best for 21 seasons, Hannas has struggled for the last 3 seasons with soft tissue injuries, so the comparison of the two is laughable. Argue your opinion on merit by all means, but re-writing history to suit your agenda comes off more than a little desperate BM.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The comparison to Harvey just reeks of desperation, as I said earlier, some supporters are bordering of delusional to try justify the DH recruitment as a success so far.

Speaking of Harvey, why not bring him back out of retirement? He’s got a pretty good on field past record, and that’s all that counts apparently!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Hannebery recruitment:
a) cost us little in terms of picks
b) reportedly resulted in us front ending a contract with money we had to spend
c) saw DH play a big part in our first finals win in almost a decade
d) may have IMHO maintained a good trading relationship with Sydney possibly resulting in us getting Jones cheaper than we otherwise may have

Those factors (including the speculative D) stop the trade from being an unmitigated disaster

But the recruitment has far far far from been a success and to carry on likes it’s some key moment that has contributed to the change in our fortunes is just silly

I mean it was great to see turn it on in the final vs the Dogs but the same people that sprouted the whole “this game justifies everything” mantra were also calling for his head a week later when he failed to back up against Richmond though he wasn’t alone there.
He really raked in the good will for a good finals performance. You’d swear by the carry on that he got 40 touches and kicked 5 goals. He had a good game but wasn’t even beat afield

The reality is that Kent who was recruited around the same time has provided more value... he’s played more games, has played more good games, had more match winning moments and if I had to back one to be more available for the 2021 season it would be Dean.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:37am The Hannebery recruitment:
a) cost us little in terms of picks
b) reportedly resulted in us front ending a contract with money we had to spend
c) saw DH play a big part in our first finals win in almost a decade
d) may have IMHO maintained a good trading relationship with Sydney possibly resulting in us getting Jones cheaper than we otherwise may have

Those factors (including the speculative D) stop the trade from being an unmitigated disaster

But the recruitment has far far far from been a success and to carry on likes it’s some key moment that has contributed to the change in our fortunes is just silly

I mean it was great to see turn it on in the final vs the Dogs but the same people that sprouted the whole “this game justifies everything” mantra were also calling for his head a week later when he failed to back up against Richmond though he wasn’t alone there.
He really raked in the good will for a good finals performance. You’d swear by the carry on that he got 40 touches and kicked 5 goals. He had a good game but wasn’t even beat afield

The reality is that Kent who was recruited around the same time has provided more value... he’s played more games, has played more good games, had more match winning moments and if I had to back one to be more available for the 2021 season it would be Dean.
I’m not suggesting we should not have recruited Hannebery or suggesting he has or has not contributed to the improvement of the group as only those on the inside could comment.

All I’m stating is infield has been a bust and to arrest that now would be reversing the current trend or pattern.

Watching the Final live I feel many overate Dans game against the Dogs as he spent long periods on the wing unopposed and was not pushing back deep into defense like the other mids and wingers on the night.

Obviously he was playing as instructed, but this instructions didn’t appear to have him covering the hard yards like the other on ballers and wings.

Kim run for the evening would be interesting.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did I compare the two as players?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey missed 36 out of 88 games from 1999-2002

Hamstring, Shoulder, Knee, Calf

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure anyone has suggested his recruitment has been a success thus far

Just that it isn’t a failure as yet

The point I was making with Harvey was two fold
1-players are decorated for a reason
2- players can go through a period of injury and regain form afterwards

I don’t rate ANYONE near the level of banger

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 10:14am
B.M wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:06pm My fascination with decorations is because you have to be good to receive them - pretty simple

BTW

Back to Hannebery

The Harvey reference is just fabricated bulls***.

The only extended period of games missed by Harvey was 01 - 02 when he had a knee reco.

Fabricating a Harvey beyond 28 injury comparison to the soft tissue injuries of Hannebery is disingenuous at best.

Harvey ran with the best for 21 seasons, Hannas has struggled for the last 3 seasons with soft tissue injuries, so the comparison of the two is laughable. Argue your opinion on merit by all means, but re-writing history to suit your agenda comes off more than a little desperate BM.
Really quite bizarre when some were desperate for Cousins' signature after we'd just retired a Champion.

It has been our young players with the addition of Ryder, Jones, Howard and Butler to help guide them on field. Hanners is fast becoming the icing, not the base.

I wonder when we signed him whether we signed him for 80% or 100%? So far we have not even got 40%. Fingers crossed Hanners plays to 80% from now but I suspect that's wishful thinking.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Again,

No one was desperate for Cousins

Just, considering he was taken with the very last pick in the pre season draft on a base salary at 29yo a player of his caliber was worth the risk given the maturity of the stk group. Very easy to delist if needed.

Instead we gave up a FRDP and substantial salary on a woman basher with a drinking problem whilst he was meant to be training. And he’d basically done FA in his career really. And we had to pay the prick out!!!

One bloke was a manic training and one was a lazy f***

In retrospect we chose the wrong horse

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 11:37am The Hannebery recruitment:.....
.....The reality is that Kent who was recruited around the same time has provided more value... he’s played more games, has played more good games, had more match winning moments and if I had to back one to be more available for the 2021 season it would be Dean.
Now you are talking...
Great comparison.

I for the life of me don’t know why Kent gets a game. I’m sure he’s a cool guy and all..

Tell me, how many good games has Kent played?
I count one, against his former club in season 2019.

Interesting..
Colonel Hannebery or Lance Corporal Kent?

If you could chop one from the list right now, which one?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kent. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Have a policy not to bag saints players but comparing him to Hanners is f****** laughable.
Will only get a game this year if we have heaps of injuries.
Goes missing for long periods and his good games are far apart.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 2:09pm Again,

Just, considering he was taken with the very last pick in the pre season draft on a base salary at 29yo a player of his caliber was worth the risk given the maturity of the stk group. Very easy to delist if needed.

Instead we gave up a FRDP and substantial salary on a woman basher with a drinking problem whilst he was meant to be training. And he’d basically done FA in his career really. And we had to pay the prick out!!!

Again, you miss the point. This wasn't a Lovett v Cousins. It was a Harvey v Cousins. Totally agree with your take on Lovett.

To encourage Harves into retirement and then entertain a decorated f'wit to join the club was simply stupid. It cost us badly.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 2:09pm Again,

RL was desperate for Cousins at the Saints - I remember a photo OP with the two at Linton st
wasnt until a last minute board meeting that scuttled the the plan
The subsequent signing of the nameless EFC reject was a disaster - but again very much RL driven

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

However I do object to a player with very good past credentials and accolades being lauded as one the best signings ever at the Saints
DHs past has NOT been replicated at the Saints - and certainly not during the WB finals game - I have seen some brilliant players at the Saints - but few have won finals games by spending half of it on the bench

Seeya
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harvey wasn’t pushed into retirement. He chose to retire.

His time was up, he was pushing 38yo and his last two seasons he was waning a bit.

Maybe he could’ve played on for a crack at the flag? But how many years was he going to go on doing that?
At some stage you need to call time

Unless you’re Tom Brady?!

Speaking of NFL
Antonio Brown... a problem that was given a lifeline. Now has a Super Bowl championship ring.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 2:50pm Kent. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Have a policy not to bag saints players but comparing him to Hanners is f****** laughable.
Will only get a game this year if we have heaps of injuries.
Goes missing for long periods and his good games are far apart.
I wonder which of the two will play more games in 2021?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Feb 2021 4:23pm Harvey wasn’t pushed into retirement. He chose to retire.

His time was up, he was pushing 38yo and his last two seasons he was waning a bit.

Maybe he could’ve played on for a crack at the flag? But how many years was he going to go on doing that?
At some stage you need to call time

Unless you’re Tom Brady?!

Speaking of NFL
Antonio Brown... a problem that was given a lifeline. Now has a Super Bowl championship ring.
I believe in subsequent interviews that Harvey has reported that he wanted to play on