North into Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: North into Billings

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:33pm
B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:26pm As a medium forward/winger he has good numbers

He’s not meant to be an Ollie Wines or Jack Steele, he’s not a midfielder

He is very good in his role
His stats are only useful forward of centre
Cheap dinky kicks behind centre useless to us
He goes missing against better sides too often
Last week he impacted got forward of centre and set up/hit scoreboard
Last night nowhere near damaging
He can rack up 30 stats and leave you wondering if he’s playing
You’re right he’s no mid
Use the value (while he has some) get a mid
Bombers want him???? Merret thanks,..
You’ve seen Billings best that’s it - we ought to be about building a side who can seriously challenge
Gotta give to get quality
Can you trust our recruiters to get a better player with a mid to late first round draft pick & wait 4 years to then bemoan we should have selected X, Y, Z with the clarity of hindsight?

I can't. What's that adage about "A bird in the hand..."?

In terms of salary, he will get what he's worth. Our cap should be freed by making the call on other players, not a player like Billings.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:07pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:33pm
B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:26pm As a medium forward/winger he has good numbers

He’s not meant to be an Ollie Wines or Jack Steele, he’s not a midfielder

He is very good in his role
His stats are only useful forward of centre
Cheap dinky kicks behind centre useless to us
He goes missing against better sides too often
Last week he impacted got forward of centre and set up/hit scoreboard
Last night nowhere near damaging
He can rack up 30 stats and leave you wondering if he’s playing
You’re right he’s no mid
Use the value (while he has some) get a mid
Bombers want him???? Merret thanks,..
You’ve seen Billings best that’s it - we ought to be about building a side who can seriously challenge
Gotta give to get quality
Can you trust our recruiters to get a better player with a mid to late first round draft pick & wait 4 years to then bemoan we should have selected X, Y, Z with the clarity of hindsight?

I can't. What's that adage about "A bird in the hand..."?

In terms of salary, he will get what he's worth. Our cap should be freed by making the call on other players, not a player like Billings.
The deal has to be in our favour
Staying still cause we are scared to make a mistake isn’t a plan
Billings one of few in our list who has some value that we can leverage
He’s hit his peak at 26
You move now
Ofcourse it’s a risk no risk no reward
If we had an ability to use him in a Merret move that’d do me... I’d pay Merret 7-8
Billings 6 at best he’s an ok player who has limited impact

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If Merrett wants to leave Essendon he can, no inducements required, he's a FA. St Kilda would be much better having both.

JB can also move freely if we do not wish to match his offer. This leaves us with that mid first round draft pick. How confident are you that we'd select a better player with the durability JB has shown?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

While I'm also skeptical as to how much Billings will improve from here, he's clearly a handy player and I would rather we keep him then risk going into the draft with a compo pick, as our recruiters haven't exactly covered themselves in glory by going through the draft.

However, in no way is Billings worth a $1 mill salary. That's the kind of superstar money you pay a player that you can build your team around and Billings, while good, is not that kind of player.

If that really is the offer on the table, there is no way that we can match it.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:34pm If Merrett wants to leave Essendon he can, no inducements required, he's a FA. St Kilda would be much better having both.

JB can also move freely if we do not wish to match his offer. This leaves us with that mid first round draft pick. How confident are you that we'd select a better player with the durability JB has shown?
That depends where we finish what Billings is offered and what pick we’d get
I’m confident I’ve seen the best of Billings - in fact I know for a fact he’s never going into the middle to influence games like the glaring need for a quality mid we have now?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:52pm While I'm also skeptical as to how much Billings will improve from here, he's clearly a handy player and I would rather we keep him then risk going into the draft with a compo pick, as our recruiters haven't exactly covered themselves in glory by going through the draft.

However, in no way is Billings worth a $1 mill salary. That's the kind of superstar money you pay a player that you can build your team around and Billings, while good, is not that kind of player.

If that really is the offer on the table, there is no way that we can match it.
He’s not worth 800 let alone a million
He’s a pick 3 we now describe as “handy”
We don’t have much to barter with and the kids cupboard is empty
I guess it also depends where you see current list in terms of being a genuine challenger
I think we are a few years away tbh ..if and I accept the risk ...we could jag a pick high enough to land a quality up and coming mid (not another bloody flanker ) I’d do it

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 2:38pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:34pm If Merrett wants to leave Essendon he can, no inducements required, he's a FA. St Kilda would be much better having both.

I’m confident I’ve seen the best of Billings - in fact I know for a fact he’s never going into the middle to influence games like the glaring need for a quality mid we have now?
So you're confident we'd select a better player with our compensation pick?

Remember the money for that quality mid was squandered on Hannebery. That's not JB's fault. That's the fault of those you want to charge with selecting a player with that compo pick. Can only end in more tears.

I think we hold, we are a better side with him. We need to rid ourselves of list & salary cap cloggers of which we have plenty whose surname is not Billings.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 2:46pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 2:38pm

So you're confident we'd select a better player with our compensation pick?

Remember the money for that quality mid was squandered on Hannebery. That's not JB's fault. That's the fault of those you want to charge with selecting a player with that compo pick. Can only end in more tears.

I think we hold, we are a better side with him. We need to rid ourselves of list & salary cap cloggers of which we have plenty whose surname is not Billings.
Then you’ll still have to rely on recruiting at the draft
With a side that leaves you anywhere from 7th to 12 but not really a genuine contender
You either trade well (with something worth trading) OR you lesson the recruiting clock up (still no guarantee as we prove) by trying to get higher 1st round selections....
There are no guns coming through this list right now save Byrnes/Bytel....
Power let Wingard go a few years back ...plenty of sides have done it to go forwards
Do you think this list is a top 4 contender in next 12 months right now????

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Right now, current available players, in 12 months? The answer would be NO.

I would not want Billings to go for a mid first round draft pick, to think that is value would be foolish.

What is interesting is to rate Billings high enough to get us a gun mid but low enough to say he offers our future nothing. Quite the conflicting ratings.

I'd like to know what goal kicking outside mid is at another club that that club would release for JB. History suggests we would lose out on that trade & I'm yet to be convinced those in charge learn from history.

We do have to attract and pay big $$$ for a Kelly or Merrett which is why we need to off load highly paid players who offer nothing to create cap space.

Draft picks are to safe guard a future.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 3:19pm Right now, current available players, in 12 months? The answer would be NO.

I would not want Billings to go for a mid first round draft pick, to think that is value would be foolish.

What is interesting is to rate Billings high enough to get us a gun mid but low enough to say he offers our future nothing. Quite the conflicting ratings.

I'd like to know what goal kicking outside mid is at another club that that club would release for JB. History suggests we would lose out on that trade & I'm yet to be convinced those in charge learn from history.

We do have to attract and pay big $$$ for a Kelly or Merrett which is why we need to off load highly paid players who offer nothing to create cap space.

Draft picks are to safe guard a future.
Players value means different things to different clubs at different stages. Billings to North right now is obvious to Bulldogs he’s a nice to have HFF so probably less so
He was recruited as a top 3 draft pick to be a game changer , match winner facts are he isn’t and is t hoi g to be - do you think he will become Bont like ? Robbie Gray like ?? I don’t
Our need is A grade midfielder class not nice HFF who in some days against lower opponents impact the game
IF he asks for 700+ IMHO he can walk
I’d rather redirect the $$ into a B King J Kelly or Merett if I can
It’s why I laughed when Carlton poured truck loads into Williams.....I don’t think he helps their mids much at all but was happy to watch them chew their cap

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He was recruited in the Top 3 because he was deemed best available at pick 3. I had no dramas with that selection. Is he as good as the Bont? No. Great drafting by the Dogs.

57 selections prior to Robbie Gray suggest no one knew how good he would become. He's certainly better than Brad Howard.

I agree with you on his wage & in my opinion he has benefited from being a part of a poor list in terms of his current salary if rumours are correct. I hope that's been explained to him and his manager.

I believe he's a required player, I hope he stays to enjoy playing with a Merrett or Kelly and to enjoy choosing which King to deliver the ball to.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Send him
Trade Billings plus our first round pick for their #1 pick.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would Merrett leave Essendon, a big club that just flogged us, with a bright future to go to a small club that can’t get it done?!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How did trading out big names like Goddard, Dal Santo and McEvoy work out last time?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Getting rid of good players doesn’t make you better

A 25yo who gets

21 possessions
0.8 goals
2.5 tackles

As a HF/Winger

Take that any day.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 4:52pm He was recruited in the Top 3 because he was deemed best available at pick 3. I had no dramas with that selection. Is he as good as the Bont? No. Great drafting by the Dogs.

57 selections prior to Robbie Gray suggest no one knew how good he would become. He's certainly better than Brad Howard.

I agree with you on his wage & in my opinion he has benefited from being a part of a poor list in terms of his current salary if rumours are correct. I hope that's been explained to him and his manager.

I believe he's a required player, I hope he stays to enjoy playing with a Merrett or Kelly and to enjoy choosing which King to deliver the ball to.
He was recruited at top 3 to be more than “handy” sorry but he doesn’t get off that light
Good to see common sense prevails on salary - another club will offer him 700k plus and good luck to him/them just don’t stuff the pick up - that’s our clubs inability to execute fault not the strategies...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 6:06pm Getting rid of good players doesn’t make you better

A 25yo who gets

21 possessions
0.8 goals
2.5 tackles

As a HF/Winger

Take that any day.
Sorry stats don’t cut it for a top 3 pick who doesn’t impact games (often unnoticed) in the back half of the ground and for a guy who can’t run mid where the team has A grade deficits
We need to get better as a side and be bold to do that - you don’t achieve that by keeping every “handy” player whose hit his peak while gaps in yourlist continue
It does mean we have to be better at recruiting but we can’t hide away from that as an excuse to sit still and not try and improve and reach for a genuine flag shot.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 5:39pm How did trading out big names like Goddard, Dal Santo and McEvoy work out last time?
Different time side list and club with no core coming through we have some quality to build off here but lack A grade talent gotta go hard to get it trading DMac won’t get it done

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Trading a good player won’t either

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:54pm Trading a good player won’t either
Depends what u get for him hey??
You know what you have now
Can we replace him and do we need A grade outside run/delivery mid options more than a “handy” HFF??

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:51pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 5:39pm How did trading out big names like Goddard, Dal Santo and McEvoy work out last time?
Different time side list and club with no core coming through we have some quality to build off here but lack A grade talent gotta go hard to get it trading DMac won’t get it done
I agree with the last part.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

So in your eyes Teflon, what or who do you honestly think we will get for a player you don't rate? Or which club will give up a salary / contract to induce a Top 5 draft pick or offer up this magical mid you speak of?

We have had ample opportunities to select a gun mid over the past 10 years however our ability to sabotage our list strategies has no peer.

We chose McCartin when it should have been Petracca.

We had to choose King because of our choice of McCartin.

We drafted Hannebery because we were desperate and failed our due diligence.

We had to choose Crouch because Hannebery is a bust.

Carlisle another howler in our desperation to be a player in the trade game & a "destination club".

I wish I had your confidence in our recruiting team / list managers. It is the overpaid rubbish and butchering drafts that has us where we are. Not our actual good players who need better players, rather than be traded for speculative picks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There club did not fail its due diligence; there was NO due diligence because it's like saying there is oxygen failure on the moon. There is no oxygen on the moon.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you know if your going to get a good player, going to the draft.

Let’s say a top ten pick?

Would you do Billings for Coffield??

Or worse, a flop... let’s say McCartin?

Plus you’ve got to wait the years for them to develop

Pick 12 for BJ didn’t do us much good
Pick 25 for Dal didn’t either
Pick 37 for Tom Lynch didn’t
Pick 43 for Jamie Cripps
Pick 6 for Spider Everett didn’t even work

The only one that did was
Pick 13 for Barry Hall - even though Hall went on to be a triple AA and premiership captain.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:10pm How do you know if your going to get a good player, going to the draft.

Let’s say a top ten pick?

Would you do Billings for Coffield??

Or worse, a flop... let’s say McCartin?

Plus you’ve got to wait the years for them to develop

Pick 12 for BJ didn’t do us much good
Pick 25 for Dal didn’t either
Pick 37 for Tom Lynch didn’t
Pick 43 for Jamie Cripps
Pick 6 for Spider Everett didn’t even work

The only one that did was
Pick 13 for Barry Hall - even though Hall went on to be a triple AA and premiership captain.
How do I know? You don’t but I know what I’ve got now
As an aside......anyone just see that goal the Bont kicked out of congestion on the run against Port? What a superstar match winner..... I may be wrong but think he went after Jack....point is it can be done ???
Life doesn’t come with guarantee- as a football guru you know that

“Yeah….nah””