Dunstan or Billings?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan or Billings?

Why do people think we got Smith, Jones and Brown in the Lockett deal

2 of them were just our draft picks

One pick 48 - A.Jones

saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 12:13pm
saintkid wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 9:01pm
saynta wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 5:26pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 9:22pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 8:32pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 8:27pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:35pm Zac Jones is a huge loss, doesn't get enough praise on here for some reason.
With Gresham is an inside/ outside player.
Otherwise we have either very inside or very outside.

To get back to the OP, if Billings is genuinely carrying an injury...then rest him, Bytel, D Mac or Long come back in, we are out of finals contention barring a miracle.
Good post. He was poor today so if he is playing injured then what's the point?

This season for me has been a confirmation of what I always said. We failed to pick the right players with our early draft choices and we let go of a number of good players that have been doing really well at their new clubs. 2021 has become a weekly reminder of the stuff ups by the people our club employ. I will single out Petracca for now as he was always going to set the world on fire and I never bagged him unlike others here. He is as strong physically as he is talented in skill. Exactly what we wanted and needed. He is no Dusty but potentially capable of being the second best midfielder in the competition and he should have been in red, white and black. That one will haunt us forever and especially if he helps deliver the Demons their next premiership since 1964. In round 2 again Melbourne supporters at the ground were thanking us for giving them a superstar...hard to hear and it's been a regular occurrence this season.

As for Billings, even fit he is nothing to crow about as a player, both in leadership and consistent, game changing impact. His best and fairest finishes and Brownlow votes are a testament to that and if anyone wants to criticize my opinion of him in his eighth season, just listen to what Riewoldt has said about Billings as a player and his career to date.
Can you send a link to Roo's criticism please?

I kind of expected you to jump on SK, a bit restrained but if you're happy with everyone else on the list, especially their 2021 efforts, let rip.
Hi there Ghost Like, I've been quite measured about my thoughts on Billings this year and that's because the problem areas in our club go way deeper than just commenting on a few of our so called leaders or senior players. So thank you for expecting me to jump on here regarding JB. :)

Riewoldt last year on Fox Footy and I'm pretty sure it was 'On the Couch' spoke about Billings being possible trade bait as he hasn't taken his game at the next level after a number of years at the club. Search through the shows and you will watch/hear for yourself.

As I said before, there are posters here that I like reading their thoughts but some go awfully quiet and take a back seat when it comes to Billings' bad games. He should be a leader on the ground and a playmaker inspiring his younger teammates. However, he often does not stand up when needed. I will reiterate...look at his best and fairest finishes and Brownlow votes in his career to date. If the club can get value for him at year's end, I also believe he should be traded. Our list is not going anywhere fast. Watching Melbourne on Friday night was another reminder of our club's errors and list mismanagement.

Funny thing. I have watched all the on the couch shows even put up with that Hillbilly Brown's inane comments but For the life of me, cannot remember Roo ever saying that Billings should be put up as trade bait. He just ain't that stupid.
Well Riewoldt sure did say it on Fox Footy and he said similar on SEN. Here's the link:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/16/ ... -expect-a/

I did quote him above in an earlier post.
"I wouldn't do the Billings one because his upside is too big"
Are you serious...is that your comeback??

Quote the whole statement Riewoldt made mate not half of it!

Here it is again saynta:

"I wouldn't do the Billings one because his upside is too big but if you get the right price for him or a Seb Ross then I would be prepared to do the deal."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

🙄🤔🤨

Roos full statement is too contradictory to be true and I believe he must have been misquoted.

Otherwise, it simply doesn't make sense.

So, yes, I just quoted the part I find a sensible, knowledgesble expert like Roo would say.

Don't like it, don't read my posts. There is an ignore button you should look for.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 07 Jun 2021 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:54pm 🙄🤔🤨😎
Cheers saynta 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is Billings really that much an underperforming player

138 games since debut
100 goals @.75pg
.7 goal assists
21ppg
5.2 marks (.33 contested)
2.75 tackles
30 Brownlow Votes

As a HF/Wing where 20ppg is considered avg. Considering his foot skills, that is a more than handy player.

Nick Riewoldt is right on one thing, given those numbers he would have currency. Thing is, would his replacement guarantee those numbers. Trading away good players for outside top ten DPs is ludicrous in my mind.

Dunstan’s numbers as an inside mid where 25ppg is average

107 games since debut
19.8 disposals (8.6 contested)
45goals at .4pg
.4 goal assists
3.4 marks (.1 contested)
4.6 tackles
6 Brownlow votes

Considering his foot skills, that is not great numbers.

Just for good measure, I’ll chuck in the other guy we want to get rid of

151 games
23.6 disposals (7.9 contested)
28 goals at .3pg
62 goal assists at .4pg
3.8 tackles
43 Brownlow votes

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:09pm Why do people think we got Smith, Jones and Brown in the Lockett deal

2 of them were just our draft picks

One pick 48 - A.Jones
Personally I think it's because they were always linked, young & a changing of the guard so to speak. A new St Kilda.