Kent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kent

Played pretty well for a month

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 5:57pm Played pretty well for a month
Yep. A few have. Dunstan, MacKenzie, Webster, even Coff these past two games.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coffield was good today - except for a couple minutes

Webster has been very good this season

Could finish top 5 in the B&F

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He kicked 10 goals last year from 15 games, 3/4 of which were in the first 5-6 games and and at one point had kicked something like a goal in 12 weeks.

This year he’s kicked 5 goals in 7 games... three in one game, two today.

The numbers just aren’t good enough

I don’t know if he’ll be delisted or not... for whatever reason coaches seem to have an affinity for him. Both Ratts and Richo before him. Reckon he must train hard and generally be well liked at the club.

Regardless, any objective look at his overall performance as a whole paints a disappointing picture.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 5:20pm He's the ultimate downhill skier - which is unfortunate, because he has some weapons that I really like. That kicking penetration is really something.

But it's everything else that haunts him. The indecision. The one-way running. The zero defensive pressure. The bad decisions under pressure. The refusal to crack into packs. The ordinary contested marking. The missed goals in key moments. The poor passing. The need to kick everything with that wide arc, which makes it hard for him to move it on quickly.

We gave him a three-year deal, a massive gift to a player who really hasn't added much. I had high hopes for him because of his kicking and eye for goal. But I think injuries and a lack of game time stilted his development. The modern game - quick, hard, fast, explosive - doesn't suit him (I originally thought he was explosive, but that seems to have left his game). But he could kick 50 goals in the VFL next year.

Given where we're at, and what he brings, and his age profile (ie: he won't improve from this level) I can't make a case for him being on the list next year. If it was between him and offering a deal to Tom Lynch, there's no question in my eyes who would give you more both on field and around the Club (Lynch has great cultural value and leadership skills, Kent has none of the kind) over the next two years.

With Sharman coming through as well, I'm happy to release him. I'm pleased he played well today but prior to this one, he went goalless in five of his past six games in 2021.
Great summary EFC. Spot on IMO. Downhill skier who stuffs it up as soon as there’s pressure. Will probably get another contract, but shouldn’t.