Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for next week

Freo struggled with the Crows small forward line.

So while I can see Kent out, I cannot see 2 or 3 small forwards from our team being dropped.

Long was evidently only so so in the Pies practice match, and his preseason has not been flash. So that may tip the balance to play Sharman instead.

Owens for NWM is a possibility.

Sinclair to play mainly as a mid.

Bytel does not seem fit enough.

No one apart from Highmore really stands out as an in. But does that make the back half a bit tall? Which is a pity as Byrnes was dreadful.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd forgotten about Connolly when thinking about team changes previously. He showed plenty last year and has attributes that we're in desperate need of. I don't want to see Wangmil brought in too soon - he's a stick figure right now and I'd like for him to build some solid form at Sandy first.

I'd make these changes

Out: Owens, Kent, McKenzie, Byrnes
In: Bytel, Connolly, Highmore, Sharman

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Hill, Battle, Webster
C: Wood, Steele, Connolly
HF: Higgins, Hayes, Membrey
F: Butler, King, Gresham

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Sinclair
Int: Bytel, Highmore, Ross, Sharman

Looks like much more of a clean, one-touch team with some classy ins and some fumbly outs.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The AFL site have guessed it may only be NWM for Kent. Offering Owens a further opportunity. TBH, I don't mind that (in the cool light of day) plus Ratten does not strike me as a 3 or 4 changes in a week coach.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 2:27am I'd forgotten about Connolly when thinking about team changes previously. He showed plenty last year and has attributes that we're in desperate need of. I don't want to see Wangmil brought in too soon - he's a stick figure right now and I'd like for him to build some solid form at Sandy first.

I'd make these changes

Out: Owens, Kent, McKenzie, Byrnes
In: Bytel, Connolly, Highmore, Sharman

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Hill, Battle, Webster
C: Wood, Steele, Connolly
HF: Higgins, Hayes, Membrey
F: Butler, King, Gresham

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Sinclair
Int: Bytel, Highmore, Ross, Sharman

Looks like much more of a clean, one-touch team with some classy ins and some fumbly outs.
Bytel is coming back from injury and will not be named in any team this weekend.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dear Selectors, who shall remain anonymous except for you Brett;

Thing is, I say I say, is that there really is nothing to lose dropping Butler, Byrnes and Kent. So why agonise over it. They don't score and rarely assist. They often get rebounded from - they are liabilities.

Similarly nothing to lose by shaking up centre square mob.

Even though Byrnes deserves another chance, perhaps, because of youth, he seemed to have stage fright. Might be good to let him learn his lines at Sandringham. NWM in.

Sharman for Kent unless Cooper is injured. For heavens sake what are you playing at selectors - you seem bonkers. We need guys that can catch and kick straight. If Cooper has upset you find someone else or let him apologise, but not Dean - he has proved he cannot catch or kick a bag.

Long for Butler. Dan has had a lot of chances. A lot. Ben not so much. Deserves a fair go. Can cause a lot of problems for oppositions and no one will be mocking him on a selfie video post game, I assure you.

Sinclair, Hill and McKenzie to go through the centre bounce groups (go on try it, can't hurt). Crouch, Steele and Seb have no chemistry/synergy. Need to change the mix. Be good for everyone. Might confuse opposition coach - heaven forbid.

Conversely, if you selectors do not make changes there is a lot to lose - think about that in your conservative, risk averse armchairs. PER-MLB is a long trip back if you are 2 - zip and you have died wondering. Even on a charter because we would be there in spirit.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 4:03pm
Long for Butler. Dan has had a lot of chances. A lot. Ben not so much. Deserves a fair go.
Nice letter Yorkeys, sadly it will fall on deaf ears.

Can you tell me how Butler has had more chances than Long? Butler has played 41 games for the club and Long has played 60 games.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:57am
saynta wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:25am
saintbob wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:05am
B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:14pm Dropping Ross

Keeping Byrnes (who was putrid)
And
Owens (out of his depth)

Yep that makes sense?! Integrity in selection right there!!!

Bringing in Bytel, Sharman, Windhager and Connolly

NONE of which are proven at AFL level

We’d get fkn spanked!!!
Yep, good idea
So we just keep playing plodders like Ross, rather than getting game time into kids that may have a future.

No wonder this club is f***ed!!!
Ross had a good first half, not so hot in the second half when he spent time on the bench. Plodder
? Rubbish. Did you actually watch the game?
Yep he went missing towards the end of the 2nd quarter and offered very little in the 2nd half.
He got badly crunched but still had a good game. One of our better players on the night still.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough Ghost Like, I am thinking Ben has been shuffled a lot and been sub whereas Dan has had a more stable run. Also remember beating Pies last year and Ben was a warrior that game, a bit chaotic but caused Pies defence a lot of problems. Dan doesn't seem to fuss defences so much as occasionally annoy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 7:00pm Fair enough Ghost Like, I am thinking Ben has been shuffled a lot and been sub whereas Dan has had a more stable run. Also remember beating Pies last year and Ben was a warrior that game, a bit chaotic but caused Pies defence a lot of problems. Dan doesn't seem to fuss defences so much as occasionally annoy.
I understand Yorkeys, my thought is that Ben seems to play a game like that every 4 or 5, if he was doing that two out of 4 or 5 he's an easy selection. I do hope when he gets his next opportunity he makes it impossible to be dropped. Seems like a ripping young man & clubman.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 1:12pm Just put Hayes in the middle and let him go where ever he sees fit. Small’s can feed off him and the opposition can worry about tagging him. He is big, clever, flexible, fit, strong and mobile. Thank goodness he appears to be able to handle the step up.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Owens Windy Connolly Battle

Ryder is to go to CHB after bounce as the 7th to intercept and rucks the back half
Marshall stays deep but rucks the forward half.
Hayes drifts fwd or back but plays as required and plays as a marking target from defence or blocks and intercepts oppositional rebound from defence, moving deep when Marshall comes out.
King just runs continuous lanes from the goal square to true CHF and the flanks.
Sinclair and Gresham rotate from the forward line.
Hill and NWM sweep from the backline and push forward through the middle.
Ross and Crouch rotate with Steele and follow the play relentlessly. Ross blocks/tags, Crouch goes in under.
Steele leaps tall buildings in a single bound, goes forward for Membrey to cover Ryder as the 7th.

The coach needs to stop depending on defending and set up structure to attack, much like the 3rd quarter last week, when Sinclair and Hayes got going.
We must significantly strengthen our midfield. There is no obvious solution. Hayes in the middle is not obvious, but it has merit. Josh Battle is not obvious either, but Battle & Hayes are big strong BULLS. It will give us more strength in the middle. And a different, radical look. Take a risk.

And we just don't need 3-4 small forwards, Highmore, Sharman and Ryder if fit.