Team v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Eagles

Best 22 out of the 26 chosen yesterday. I personally would have preferred Jones to get one more chance and Sharman to miss, but it is what it is.

I hope Long will be medi sub again.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 7:19pm Marshall has been sick all week, apparently with the flu. Don't be surprised if he's a late out
Still has two more days to recover. So he would presumably be a reasonable chance.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 7:19pm Marshall has been sick all week, apparently with the flu. Don't be surprised if he's a late out
Sharman to the rescue.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:04am It's fine to swing the axe when you have enough players in reserve, but we don't......a reality that is lost on some.

Windhager may play, but his output has been very minor and he hasn't really influenced games....low possession, low impact. The coach has been giving him the opportunity to develop at AFL level, even though at this stage he contributes so little. NWM has-been a bit better but has been carried by the rest of the group

No one has criticised the selection of these guys but it's clear that they are bit part players at this stage. This is the fine balance of development versus picking the very best 22.

Personally, I think playing Connolly ahead of those two guys may have given us more.

The bottom line is that we are a work in progress. The chest beating, the vilification, and the outrage expressed on here doesn't change that.

This team doesn't come anywhere near our 2009 team. In fact, it doesn't come close to our 2004 team.
That’s completely at odds with what our Prez has come out and told us
We are in the window apparently????
So which is it
8-3 world beaters great depth
Lose 5-6 ….list is a mess , in tatters no one can play..,
Think you’re letting off the club far too easily again
The list has holes no doubt
But last 5 performances we are 17th % 18th contested bsll
This list isn’t that

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 7:41pm
Sharman to the rescue.
Has been delisted apparently
Ran on the field last week by mistake - missed the memo
“No good after 7 games” lol

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:00pm
Sharman to the rescue.
You must be one of those old blokes who still wear a footy jumper to the footy becsue I'm guessing you have number 43 on yours.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 7:22pm
Still has two more days to recover. So he would presumably be a reasonable chance.
Saints twitter says Marshall didn't train Thursday due to ill-health but is apparently ok?
Flu?
He won't be ok by Sunday. Good luck but I don't think so

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

eagles can safely win a coule, and still get that high draft pick. reckon they would have this game in their sights.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Yallingupsaints
Club Player

Hope we don’t regret picking Campbell. Please give kick in duties to Lienert

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 1:14am
Scollop wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 12:27am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:05pm How many “warts and all, honesty sessions” does this club have every year, 2 or 3?

Clearly not working, time to actually back up all the talk with actions and drop some players who clearly think they’re undroppable.

This season is gone, it’s about setting a standard for the future.

As many have said NWM harshly done by, it’s not the kids who let us down last week.
The Gold Coast Suns are building the right culture. You play poorly and you suffer the consequences

With our team, we were putrid, and it's basically only 1 senior player dropped.

One year ago the club had an opportunity to make a statement and drop Brad Hill. I'm still waiting for the day.

Why is he so fuckn untouchable and why do Lethlean and Finnis and Ratten let this guy off the hook every week
What does Finnis have to do with team selection? Finnis is not part of the Football department I’m sure CEO’s aren’t on match day selection teams.
Finnis deals with sponsors. Finnis is responsible for membership numbers.

I'm assuming he catches up several times a week and drinks coffee in the office with Lethers and Ratts...

sorry....I shouldn't asssume he drinks coffee

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Our crap football team is not Finnis' fault, as far as i can tell he's done his job, it's the football mob that don't know what they're doing and it's them that have
decided a cuddle is better than dropping serial under performers.

Next it'll be Sexton's fault, he has been at the saints since Lyon's days, he must be all right at his job. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 7:21pm Best 22 out of the 26 chosen yesterday. I personally would have preferred Jones to get one more chance and Sharman to miss, but it is what it is.

I hope Long will be medi sub again.
Long only had 10 possessions. The pass mark for getting a game each week is 11 disposals.

Unfortunately Ben missed the cut

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 10:27am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:05pm How many “warts and all, honesty sessions” does this club have every year, 2 or 3?

Clearly not working, time to actually back up all the talk with actions and drop some players who clearly think they’re undroppable.

As many have said NWM harshly done by, it’s not the kids who let us down last week.
The Gold Coast Suns are building the right culture. You play poorly and you suffer the consequences

One year ago the club had an opportunity to make a statement and drop Brad Hill. I'm still waiting for the day.

Why is he so fuckn untouchable and why do Lethlean and Finnis and Ratten let this guy off the hook every week
So you can only find a year old tabloid media blurb proposing the dropping of Brad Hill and you are still waiting? Can't find any current media to guide you?

I'd be interested to learn of YOUR reasons for dropping him now, in the present day. He has been pretty good in recent weeks, over 25 possessions in 3 of the last 4 games. Quiet last week, as were many, but unlike most he gets tagged each week, and sometimes it works. It also releases Sinclair a bit when Hill is tagged. Hill is tagged because he can really influence games, and we do not have many like that. Optus Stadium also suits him.

You don't want him out because he occupies a position that you believe can be filled by Longy? Surely not.
You're right about Brad. He's racked up a lot of meaningless possessions in 3 of the last 4 games

Glad you mentioned the media.

Dropping Hill would create headlines in the papers. Dropping Long doesn't

The club doesn't want footy journos and FoxFooty and SEN presenters highlighting how the club is still haunted by the Hill trade

Dropping Long doesn't embarrass our list manager, or our CEO or Lethers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:08pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:00pm
Sharman to the rescue.
You must be one of those old blokes who still wear a footy jumper to the footy becsue I'm guessing you have number 43 on yours.
How do you know I’m male?

Anyhoo , you might be one of those old blokes hanging round the nightclubs at 67 still thinking he’s got the lines…
Don’t forget to adjust your hair before hitting the dance floor!

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 10:44am

So you can only find a year old tabloid media blurb proposing the dropping of Brad Hill and you are still waiting? Can't find any current media to guide you?

I'd be interested to learn of YOUR reasons for dropping him now, in the present day. He has been pretty good in recent weeks, over 25 possessions in 3 of the last 4 games. Quiet last week, as were many, but unlike most he gets tagged each week, and sometimes it works. It also releases Sinclair a bit when Hill is tagged. Hill is tagged because he can really influence games, and we do not have many like that. Optus Stadium also suits him.

You don't want him out because he occupies a position that you believe can be filled by Longy? Surely not.
Go easy on Scollo, he doesn't watch the footy with the sound up.

But on Hill it's interesting his importance to our game plan which is the sling shot from half back which also includes Syncs. Teams have worked out if you shut down those two and guard the zone one kick from half back you make it very hard for us to work up the ground especially if our midfield aren't creating options for the outlet. This makes us stop and prop, go slow and go sideways and backwards.

Nearly every team has the same game plan off half back and have a Syncs and Hill, but for it to work you need a quality midfield and forward line.

You have to watch the footy with the sound up to learn these things.
Coupla things ...

If our mids and forwards are not quality (which is what you're implying) why did only 1 experienced guy get axed from these groups?

Our mids need to start doing their job. Win the ball in the middle and get it forward. They are failing as a group to provide enough opportunities to our forwards

Membrey had the most i50's with 7 against the Dogs, followed by Higgins, Sinclair and Ben Long all with 4 each. Yes! Ben Long

Billings and Crouch and Zac Jones only had 1 x i50 entry each ....and they all played a full game!

Also; If Hill is sacrificing his game for the benefit of Sincs then wouldn't it make sense that Higgins or Membrey get the benefit of teams having 2-3 defenders around Max?

For comparison stats on i50's: just click 'advanced Stats' then click Saints players only, then click the arrow on the right for descending order

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/3959#player-stats

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Do we not play effectively one player short with Butler and Higgins on the ground?
Neither can routinely kick further than 30m and make the distance ok, and then miss about 50% of those. Don't seriously chase, cannot link up, can't read ball off Max's marking contests, do not compliment each other at all. Not sure I've seen them pass to each other (?). Their contested marking/overhead marking is below average, is it not. Don't get the selectors' thinking; are they blinded by reputation and trash talk, perhaps. They just don't get the ball often and when they do butcher it about 50% of the time. What gives, hope springs eternal in the hearts of the panel?
Not sure Bolta even is a forward, or bright after last night, but a forward with a booming kick that can mark overhead is so dangerous (see also new Tiger, Cumberland and that star Bolton).
I guess our smallish forwards cupboard is bare.
Prove me wrong, men.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:00am
Vortex wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 10:44am

Go easy on Scollo, he doesn't watch the footy with the sound up.

But on Hill it's interesting his importance to our game plan which is the sling shot from half back which also includes Syncs. Teams have worked out if you shut down those two and guard the zone one kick from half back you make it very hard for us to work up the ground especially if our midfield aren't creating options for the outlet. This makes us stop and prop, go slow and go sideways and backwards.

Nearly every team has the same game plan off half back and have a Syncs and Hill, but for it to work you need a quality midfield and forward line.

You have to watch the footy with the sound up to learn these things.
Coupla things ...

If our mids and forwards are not quality (which is what you're implying) why did only 1 experienced guy get axed from these groups?

Our mids need to start doing their job. Win the ball in the middle and get it forward. They are failing as a group to provide enough opportunities to our forwards

Membrey had the most i50's with 7 against the Dogs, followed by Higgins, Sinclair and Ben Long all with 4 each. Yes! Ben Long

Billings and Crouch and Zac Jones only had 1 x i50 entry each ....and they all played a full game!

Also; If Hill is sacrificing his game for the benefit of Sincs then wouldn't it make sense that Higgins or Membrey get the benefit of teams having 2-3 defenders around Max?

For comparison stats on i50's: just click 'advanced Stats' then click Saints players only, then click the arrow on the right for descending order

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/3959#player-stats
It boils down to not having the required critical mass of skills and class to be a top 4 side. Long lacks skills and class but runs around like a chook with his head cut off. The rest of tbe players you mentioned are also mostly not going to rise to top 4 level players. We need more list upgrades.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:23am

You're right about Brad. He's racked up a lot of meaningless possessions in 3 of the last 4 games

The club doesn't want footy journos and FoxFooty and SEN presenters highlighting how the club is still haunted by the Hill trade

That’s it! Thanks Scollop. The penny’s dropped, and it was staring me in the face the whole time!

No wonder Ratts wanders out of the media dept about the same time every Thursday - he’s got the team sheet. Saint’s media dept selects the team!

Personally, I think Longy should be in this week for Butler, but obviously his profile doesn’t cut it.
Tell you what, I’ll pop in and see Clair from media and see if we can nudge Longy’s profile up a bit to make it harder to drop him. He’s cut down his penchant for illegally clipping opposition players on the way through, so that would help.

Anything else you can think of to help his case?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sharman to the rescue.
How about we play him as an actual forward, not just a decoy, instruct our mids to kick to his leads let him mark and kick, and drag a player away from Max and Members, and let the smalls ply their trade?
Revolutionary!

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:34am
Sharman to the rescue.
How about we play him as an actual forward, not just a decoy, instruct our mids to kick to his leads let him mark and kick, and drag a player away from Max and Members, and let the smalls ply their trade?
Revolutionary!
Sharman is way off the pace so I recon when Hayes gets back in the team Sharman will be a depth player while he attempts to develop his game which could be years away if at all. I'm still waiting for King to learn how to play. So Sharman is getting a game at the moment becaue we are desperate. No disrespect to the young fella it's just where things are at.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

had a chuckle last night watching Richmond throw away a win but thought either of those sides would have tore us a new one watching the way they go about it. the speed the ball handling and the ferocity for 4 qrts.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 10:47am had a chuckle last night watching Richmond throw away a win but thought either of those sides would have tore us a new one watching the way they go about it. the speed the ball handling and the ferocity for 4 qrts.
Big clubs with massive resources...ours not so much. Us and North will always be battling bottom to middling teams with the occasional sojourn into the upper echelons of the ladder.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:34am
Sharman to the rescue.
Revolutionary!
Sharman would have to lead almost up to the midfield, as our mid's kicking is pretty ordinary with little penetration :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:05am
Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:23am

That’s it! Thanks Scollop. The penny’s dropped, and it was staring me in the face the whole time!

No wonder Ratts wanders out of the media dept about the same time every Thursday - he’s got the team sheet. Saint’s media dept selects the team!

Personally, I think Longy should be in this week for Butler, but obviously his profile doesn’t cut it.
Tell you what, I’ll pop in and see Clair from media and see if we can nudge Longy’s profile up a bit to make it harder to drop him. He’s cut down his penchant for illegally clipping opposition players on the way through, so that would help.

Anything else you can think of to help his case?
Yeah sure takeaway.

Why don’t you and your crew go and watch athletics and synchronised swimming.

It’s like you want to ignore any positive assets and always focus on the negative

He’s cut down his penchant for illegally clipping opposition players on the way through

How many times have you heard coaches saying that Xxxxxx plays on the edge etc… and we don’t want him to change. And…it’s usually after one of their players has been suspended. Like Teflon and others have said, it’s up to the leaders at the club and the coaching staff to harness his aggression and use it to our advantage

Why don’t you (and any one else you’re associated with) just leave the St Kilda FC to the people who understand football. I bet you Clair will politely compliment you and your crew for all you’ve done and wish you all the best.

I think he’s learned his lesson and I think he hasn’t been given a fair go since Round 1 this year. Last week he comes on and does a pretty good job, and the coach comes out and shiitcans players for not tackling and putting on pressure and then he drops Ben Long!! What the fuuucccc is going on at this boys club called St Kilda??

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 11:11am
The Fireman wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 10:47am had a chuckle last night watching Richmond throw away a win but thought either of those sides would have tore us a new one watching the way they go about it. the speed the ball handling and the ferocity for 4 qrts.
Big clubs with massive resources...ours not so much. Us and North will always be battling bottom to middling teams with the occasional sojourn into the upper echelons of the ladder.
If only the AFL implemented some kind of system where the ‘big’ and ‘small’ clubs were only allowed to spend the same amount of money on players and coaching staff 🧐

🤦‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.