Training- Friday November 25

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training- Friday November 25

Killa wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 2:44pm IF Sharman was such a star why was he playing at Reserves level in the SANFL before being picked up in the mid season draft?

And he played in defence at Geelong because we simply had no height able to be deployed to our defensive structure

When he debuted at AFL level it was because he was the last player left standing after injuries across the List

He was recruited as a project player

Which he remains

Hayes was a consistent performer at SANFL level, overlooked across successive drafts because of his size for the positions he would be played in (so he gets away with it at SANFL level, but at AFL level?)

Time will tell with both

Tom Stewart was playing GFL football is he no good?
Last edited by CURLY on Mon 28 Nov 2022 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 6:42am
B.M wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 9:03pm What do you mean Brownlow votes are worthless

It means you’ve been voted in the best 3 players (out of 44) on the ground - in an AFL game

Surely you jest?
Even before the umpire betting scandal I thought the Brownlow system had credibility issues. More AFL players are coming out publically and saying the same.

I guess you need to use Brownlow votes as a measurement when there is nothing else to hang your hat on. Billing’s has finished in the top five of the club, best and fairest once I think. I think that is a true measure of how he is rated. Winning Brownlow votes is for midfielders, and over nine seasons 40. Brownlow votes isn’t overly impressive. Not if you primarily played midfield and you’re supposedly one of your clubs best players.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 8:43am
Killa wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 2:44pm IF Sharman was such a star why was he playing at Reserves level in the SANFL before being picked up in the mid season draft?

And he played in defence at Geelong because we simply had no height able to be deployed to our defensive structure

When he debuted at AFL level it was because he was the last player left standing after injuries across the List

He was recruited as a project player

Which he remains

Hayes was a consistent performer at SANFL level, overlooked across successive drafts because of his size for the positions he would be played in (so he gets away with it at SANFL level, but at AFL level?)

Time will tell with both

Tom Stewart was play GFL football is he no good?
Tom Stewart is very good. There’s always exceptions. The point being made is Hayes’ size though. In a lower league being smaller in the ruck at SANFL, he can get away with it. I too have reservations about Hayes consistently impacting in the ruck at AFL level. As you say, time will tell

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 8:55am
Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 6:42am
B.M wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 9:03pm What do you mean Brownlow votes are worthless

It means you’ve been voted in the best 3 players (out of 44) on the ground - in an AFL game

Surely you jest?
Even before the umpire betting scandal I thought the Brownlow system had credibility issues. More AFL players are coming out publically and saying the same.

I guess you need to use Brownlow votes as a measurement when there is nothing else to hang your hat on. Billing’s has finished in the top five of the club, best and fairest once I think. I think that is a true measure of how he is rated. Winning Brownlow votes is for midfielders, and over nine seasons 40. Brownlow votes isn’t overly impressive. Not if you primarily played midfield and you’re supposedly one of your clubs best players.
Being low on credits means Billings needs have a massive year.

Has to land highly in the B&F, coaches award and MVP and to do that he needs to play nearly every game and play like a N3DP is expected to play.