Cooper in. Cordy out.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cooper in. Cordy out.

Has Corey Enright come out of retirement?

Cool.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:56pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:51pm Out of interest for those who saw the game…

I noted two behinds in the first. Were they set shots? General play?
Had a set shot from about 50 (after a very good mark) and then a quick shot on the run from a little closer.

Took a massive hanger later in the game too.
He was an aerial threat and played up and down the ground, looking fit and strong at the contest.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 9:45pm Any news on Corey today, was named initially for Sandy but was a no show, injured or sulking does someone h@ve any news.
He was there… he was about 25-30m away from the contest doing his role.

Same as in the seniors. Weird you didn’t see him

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 9:47pm Has Corey Enright come out of retirement?

Cool.
No. He's not a ruckman.

Mr Magic and BadRossco were both referring to Corey McKernan

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:50am
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 6:33am 3 pages on Sharman and no Vort/Cairnsman :shock:
He may have taken his own advice and is staying on big footy
Fingers crossed 😊
Nope not there either
Gotta laugh
Turkey.
7 games “delist Sharman he’s VFL only”
Thank god he’s not in recruiting

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:19pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:14pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:09pm So I haven’t seen the game but what did people think..?

Sharman -
17d, 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal and 2 behinds.

For what I can see in the highlights reel… he contributed to the first goal by actually getting to the contests and bringing it to ground whilst also taking a big speccy too

In what was by accounts an absolute s-show of a game seems like that was a very respectable return and surely puts an end to the ridiculous sentiment that he is incapable of bringing to the team what Cordy was producing.

I look forward to watching him on the replay

Thoughts?
First recommendation, don’t watch the replay!

Sharman is clearly infinitely better than Cordy. Can contribute forward and around the ground.

The kid obviously has a lot of potential and should be stuck with.
Can I ask you this…
Whilst Coops got possessions (which I along with many don’t rate as being important), got to contests, took marks, brought the ball to ground and kicked a goal…

Did he do the vital things like make his team mates walk taller, give us structure, guard space, add toughness, block, do a role that’s not near the contest or involves doing anything with an opponent?

I mean stats is just a word after all… that other stuff is what I look for and value as important. How did he do in that regard?
9 contested possessions
2 contested grabs
Yeah I’d say so
More than Membrey
Future is here not looking back

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 11:19pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 8:09pm So I haven’t seen the game but what did people think..?

Sharman -

For what I can see in the highlights reel… he contributed to the first goal by actually getting to the contests and bringing it to ground whilst also taking a big speccy too

In what was by accounts an absolute s-show of a game seems like that was a very respectable return and surely puts an end to the ridiculous sentiment that he is incapable of bringing to the team what Cordy was producing.

Thoughts?

Sharman is clearly infinitely better than Cordy. Can contribute forward and around the ground.

Can I ask you this…
Whilst Coops got possessions (which I along with many don’t rate as being important), got to contests, took marks, brought the ball to ground and kicked a goal…

Did he do the vital things like make his team mates walk taller, give us structure, guard space, add toughness, block, do a role that’s not near the contest or involves doing anything with an opponent?

I mean stats is just a word after all… that other stuff is what I look for and value as important. How did he do in that regard?
9 contested possessions
2 contested grabs
Yeah I’d say so
More than Membrey
Future is here not looking back
In watching bits and pieces… my gut feeling is that Membrey was actually just brought back too early. He’s clearly very low on confidence with that 1st quarter play a stinker. Should have been a complete no brainer to turn around and take the shot and his overall fitness and touch isn’t where it should be.

All in all… when he was brought back v Port, it pbly should have been Coops that got the nod. I mean Membrey’s one game in Sandy didn’t scream rush back into the top 22 and I’m not a fan of the approach of playing guys into fitness in the top 22 when there are others pushing at the door. All in all… I reckon there’s been a bit of a coaching misfire here albeit a not too serious one.

That’s not to say that Membrey is finished or can’t contribute but I hope we move away from a reputation based decision making.

takeaway
Club Player

Sharman -

Thoughts?

Can I ask you this…

Ha ha nice post. Answer - no good. Didn’t play the Cordy role. Saints recognised (and rightly so), that Sharman is in no way a defensive forward, nor a ruck, and gave him licence to play his natural game, and he did well roaming around the ground and cruising forward. The one stuck forward deep more often than not was Members, 188cm, trying to mark/get the ball down against defenders more than 10cm taller, especially McKay.

As a result, a high number of intercept marks, and the forward line was pretty dysfunctional, although the whole game was messy.

Thank goodness King/Caminiti are now available, so the Cordy gap can be filled!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 8:23am

Sharman -

Thoughts?

Can I ask you this…

Ha ha nice post. Answer - no good. Didn’t play the Cordy role. Saints recognised (and rightly so), that Sharman is in no way a defensive forward, nor a ruck, and gave him licence to play his natural game, and he did well roaming around the ground and cruising forward. The one stuck forward deep more often than not was Members, 188cm, trying to mark/get the ball down against defenders more than 10cm taller, especially McKay.

As a result, a high number of intercept marks, and the forward line was pretty dysfunctional, although the whole game was messy.

The Cordy gap!!! Riggggghhhhhbhhht.

Forward line obviously dysfunctional because of the addition of a player that actually marks in and around F50 as opposed to one that doesn’t.
I think you need to actually get to marking contests to do that. See the first goal that actually saw a forward bring it down before some excellent work and pressure from the forwards saw the turn over.

Takeaway my friend. You are on a different planet. I think everything was dysfunctional yesterday and it had little to do with absence of a forward that doesn’t take marks, doesn’t get to contests and is usually subbed off in the third quarter for someone to be be more effective

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 9:23am

Sharman -

Thoughts?

Can I ask you this…

Forward line obviously dysfunctional because of the addition of a player that actually marks in and around F50 as opposed to one that doesn’t.
I think you need to actually get to marking contests to do that. See the first goal that actually saw a forward bring it down before some excellent work and pressure from the forwards saw the turn over.

Takeaway my friend. You are on a different planet. I think everything was dysfunctional yesterday and it had little to do with absence of a forward that doesn’t take marks, doesn’t get to contests and is usually subbed off in the third quarter for someone to be be more effective
On the same planet as RTB & crew though. Sharman is an attacking forward, we had minimal defensive tall options yesterday, and it showed. King and or Caminiti should automatically fix that, Sharman not so much.

Would pay you to watch more than, as you say in another post, "bit and pieces" of the game, assuming you can concentrate for a whole game.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 10:09am
skeptic wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 9:23am

Sharman -

Thoughts?

Can I ask you this…

On the same planet as RTB & crew though. Sharman is an attacking forward, we had minimal defensive tall options yesterday, and it showed. King and or Caminiti should automatically fix that, Sharman not so much.

Would pay you to watch more than, as you say in another post, "bit and pieces" of the game, assuming you can concentrate for a whole game.
Defensive tall options!? Coops got to more contests, brought the ball to ground more (the highlights show he did it at least twice which is a Cordy PB), more tackles, more marks.

I’ve never seen such a spirited defence of a player go hand in hand with the observation that there are also 2 other player pbly in front of him to come back.

Edit…
On a little side note, apologies for saying you are on a different planet and a general spiel to say I’ll try and cut the condescension out of my posts to you in the future… I get I bit fired up sometimes.
This particular post is pbly a bit far gone and would require a complete makeover which I can’t be bothered with… but I’ll adjust accordingly
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 08 May 2023 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If Tim wasn't really in the right mental zone confidence-wise, as it appeared missing and then avoiding set shots, then just as we are about to right him off, I'll bet 'ol Kingo comes in next week, makes a fluff of it but gets all the attention, and out of the shadows of lower expectations, Membrey kicks four! And we win...

(cue posts aimed at those questioning Tim)

Now this is if he even gets picked, which based on form, suggests not.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 10:25am

Defensive tall options!? Coops got to more contests, brought the ball to ground more (the highlights show he did it at least twice which is a Cordy PB), more tackles, more marks.

I’ve never seen such a spirited defence of a player go hand in hand with the observation that there are also 2 other player pbly in front of him to come back.

Edit…
On a little side note, apologies for saying you are on a different planet and a general spiel to say I’ll try and cut the condescension out of my posts to you in the future… I get I bit fired up sometimes.
This particular post is pbly a bit far gone and would require a complete makeover which I can’t be bothered with… but I’ll adjust accordingly
Fair enough, but I don't mind being on another planet, and our great grandchildren will probably need one. I was not necessarily defending Cordy who was always a stop gap, but more about the need for a tall around the full forward line, to at least raise his arms, take one opponent, and try to stop intercept marks, etc. Doesn't matter who it is. In fact I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that Cordy might be ousted for the North match. Membrey was too short, and Coops got to contests, but mainly up the ground a bit.

Anyway, all good, the troops are back.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 10:30am If Tim wasn't really in the right mental zone confidence-wise, as it appeared missing and then avoiding set shots, then just as we are about to right him off, I'll bet 'ol Kingo comes in next week, makes a fluff of it but gets all the attention, and out of the shadows of lower expectations, Membrey kicks four! And we win...

(cue posts aimed at those questioning Tim)

Now this is if he even gets picked, which based on form, suggests not.
Membrey won't be dropped by match committee unless he's injured or carrying a niggle that is restricting him. Don't listen to the noise from the cheap seats.

Hey Shane. I posted a message to you in the voting thread for best on ground against North. Have you put your votes in?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Members is a required player full stop

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Please tell me this is crazy....

This morning, I had a wild premonition - That Zaine Cordy is back in calculations!!!

Perhaps our crappy forward line last week will be partly attributed to Cordy's absence. ? Afterall, we played far better wih bim in the side..

Anyone else??

PS (Special bonus points for sticking to the issue, i.e. will Cordy be considered, and should he?)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Simple answer. No.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

King or Caminiti or both should come in this week.
Sharman should keep his spot also.

Cordy should be back in the magoos and is used only in emergencies.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

You don't play a witches hat as a decoy.

Sharman and Caminiti on form play over Membrey and Cordy.
King needs to play ahead of all 4, even if it's 60% TOG.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cordy is the most unfit player at the club!

He is the least likely to help with defensive pressure

And the best way to make defenders accountable- forwards get the ball!!!!

AFL defenders would pay Cordy - and perhaps Cooper little to no respect- they are not a threat

Membrey and King would be defended though

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 3:22pm King or Caminiti or both should come in this week.
Sharman should keep his spot also.

Cordy should be back in the magoos and is used only in emergencies.
Yep.

It feels like a raffle …a jumbo sale…a complete surprise bag! I mean who can predict this?..
If we lose by 40 with Cam and King in, I don’t think any of us would be the least surprised…
Or if we win by 22!
Heaven

It felt like Cam and Cordy somehow worked, but it is probably the trepidation of King and Membrey , both rolls of the dice…doing the thinking here.

But as I said earlier, with King running around, there will be less pressure on Membrey.

I think Cordy will be listed as an emergency and on the train to Adelaide. (Maybe on a coastal steamer, but on his way)

Some say that Membrey should be forgiven for having to suddenly be more than his 188cm , like at 29 years old, even eating Weeties won’t help.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

A few of the boys you’ve been talking about were a bit sore and doing very little at training today. On the plus side Dmac, Hotton and Jones were with the main group.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We will not be favourites. If we win will show we have the right stuff. Everything in Crows favour.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 5:51pm We will not be favourites. If we win will show we have the right stuff. Everything in Crows favour.

https://www.odds.com.au/afl/news/adelai ... l-round-9/

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

This will be a comfortable win for us

Wilkie will kill walker and Sharman will have a ripper

Bookmark it