Are we seeing the old 2010 RTB traits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we seeing the old 2010 RTB traits

skeptic wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 11:34am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 7:49am
meher baba wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 6:14am A little more re the list. It’s actually older than many people seem to realise.

Ok, so we do a clean out at the end of the year and magically somehow recruit some young guns with the third round draft picks we would get for our favourite whipping boys. Those young guns will take at least 3-4 years to develop into finals quality players. By then, who will be left on our list for them to play alongside? Wood, Membrey, Ross, Webster, Crouch and Hill will surely be retired. Steele, Marshall, Howard, Butler and Wilkie will be in their 30s and Gresham will be close to 30.

Some of these players are a fair way short of being champions, but there are a lot of them that will need to be replaced in just a few years time.

So a rebuild a la the early 2000s in which we drop to the bottom again and then rocket up seems to me to be a mission impossible within less than another decade. And the club can’t afford to wait that long.

So I reckon that, in many ways, our “window” is right now. Not necessarily the window to a premiership, but the window to some years of being a credible threat. Perhaps that’s the best we can hope for right now.
Hang on.
So you think by achieving record membership numbers 3 years in a row, our 'fans' are deserting us.
At beginning of COVID we were destined for financial irrelevance but managed it better than any other club.
We have paid down half the debt we owed, that was crippling us and we took profit each year.
We have improved our liquid assets immensely, in that time and if you haven't been, there are fans at the club everyday. Ex champions are involved, others are hanging around the place and back in the media doing bits and sponsorship money is flowing and growing.
Our list is older than many seem to realise, because after 4 years, everyone will be older and a drop down the ladder in the early 2000's had us in a window in 2004-2010, but we don't have time for that, so, we should just focus on what, Ross, Billings, Gresham, Mackenzie and Coffield because, we are actually in a window now? What are you saying man?
You seem to know more about this than I. Last I heard (and I haven’t been paying attention for a while), we were like $13mill in the red.

Where are we at at the moment?
$4.3m cleared in 21
$2.5m cleared in 22, $1.2m profit, 8% rise in membership to 60k+, $10.6m sponsorship record, $8.7m increase in assets. Nearly a $10m growth
Football department review - shambles.
Debt currently $7.0m - likely to be $4 by seasons end, even if we don't make finals, win a final and we can wipe it in 2024.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 12:27pm We're doing ok with memberships, but our crowd numbers remain fickle. And another plunge to the bottom will start driving members away again.

What I'm trying to say is that, even if it were a good football strategy to stop trying to win every game and focus on developing the young players and draft picks (and I certainly don't agree that it would be), it's not a commercially-viable strategy at this point in time. In a few years' time, with a Tassie club and potentially another club from WA or SA or the NT or the Riverina or somewhere, there will be a widespread call for a couple of clubs to be knocked out or, at best, merged with struggling interstate clubs (probably Tassie and the GC). And they won't be looking at interstate clubs: the focus will be on the struggling Melbourne clubs. The Roos and us are going to be the primary targets. But it will be much harder for the AFL to do anything to us if have been making regular finals appearances.
Including and post COVID our club income has risen dramatically and the cost of playing at Marvel has dropped.
All of our key business assets are flush and contributing to asset debt recovery. We have more avenues to revenue than ever before and we have first class facilities and we are building an elite high perfomance program.
We have money merchants who aim to exercise financial support to ensure our business model is viable and the potential for growth in our region is massive, given our location at Moorabbin and the State and local competitions that can feed into our longterm viability and growth in membership.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Thu 01 Jun 2023 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 11:39am Our financial improvement after COVID was amongst the worst in the comp but the books were improved with a sizeable donation to help the admin deflect considerably heat emanating from GT and the Dentist.

Dem da facts.
Very standard revenue for a financially successful AFL football club, wouldn't you think?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 2:22pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 11:39am Our financial improvement after COVID was amongst the worst in the comp but the books were improved with a sizeable donation to help the admin deflect considerably heat emanating from GT and the Dentist.

Dem da facts.
Very standard revenue for a financially successful AFL football club, wouldn't you think?
be like a young fiscally incompetent 18 yo kid with multiple credit cards maxed out and Mum and Dad agree to provide a bail out package with conditions.

And the conditions are a bitch.

financially successful...not so much.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 2:19pm
meher baba wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 12:27pm We're doing ok with memberships, but our crowd numbers remain fickle. And another plunge to the bottom will start driving members away again.

What I'm trying to say is that, even if it were a good football strategy to stop trying to win every game and focus on developing the young players and draft picks (and I certainly don't agree that it would be), it's not a commercially-viable strategy at this point in time. In a few years' time, with a Tassie club and potentially another club from WA or SA or the NT or the Riverina or somewhere, there will be a widespread call for a couple of clubs to be knocked out or, at best, merged with struggling interstate clubs (probably Tassie and the GC). And they won't be looking at interstate clubs: the focus will be on the struggling Melbourne clubs. The Roos and us are going to be the primary targets. But it will be much harder for the AFL to do anything to us if have been making regular finals appearances.
Including and post COVID our club income has risen dramatically and the cost of playing at Marvel has dropped.
All of our key business assets are flush and contributing to asset debt recovery. We have more avenues to revenue than ever before and we have first class facilities and we are building an elite high perfomance program.
We have money merchants who aim to exercise financial support to ensure our business model is viable and the potential for growth in our region is massive, given our location at Moorabbin and the State and local competitions that can feed into our longterm viability and growth in membership.
absolute BS. we need to have an extensive discussion about your understanding of what "financially successful" means.

pleeeeeease stick to your expert subject matter...the footy....you are waaaaaaay outside your flags with trying to explain finances.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

QC is outside his flags. Lol. :lol:

The way I see we are far more financially stable than we have ever been, and I remember when we weren’t

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 8:50pm QC is outside his flags. Lol. :lol:

The way I see we are far more financially stable than we have ever been, and I remember when we weren’t
yeah but you are convinced we can win the flag this year LoL :mrgreen:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 7:49am
meher baba wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 6:14am A little more re the list. It’s actually older than many people seem to realise.

Ok, so we do a clean out at the end of the year and magically somehow recruit some young guns with the third round draft picks we would get for our favourite whipping boys. Those young guns will take at least 3-4 years to develop into finals quality players. By then, who will be left on our list for them to play alongside? Wood, Membrey, Ross, Webster, Crouch and Hill will surely be retired. Steele, Marshall, Howard, Butler and Wilkie will be in their 30s and Gresham will be close to 30.

Some of these players are a fair way short of being champions, but there are a lot of them that will need to be replaced in just a few years time.

So a rebuild a la the early 2000s in which we drop to the bottom again and then rocket up seems to me to be a mission impossible within less than another decade. And the club can’t afford to wait that long.

So I reckon that, in many ways, our “window” is right now. Not necessarily the window to a premiership, but the window to some years of being a credible threat. Perhaps that’s the best we can hope for right now.
Hang on.
So you think by achieving record membership numbers 3 years in a row, our 'fans' are deserting us.
At beginning of COVID we were destined for financial irrelevance but managed it better than any other club.
We have paid down half the debt we owed, that was crippling us and we took profit each year.
We have improved our liquid assets immensely, in that time and if you haven't been, there are fans at the club everyday. Ex champions are involved, others are hanging around the place and back in the media doing bits and sponsorship money is flowing and growing.
Our list is older than many seem to realise, because after 4 years, everyone will be older and a drop down the ladder in the early 2000's had us in a window in 2004-2010, but we don't have time for that, so, we should just focus on what, Ross, Billings, Gresham, Mackenzie and Coffield because, we are actually in a window now? What are you saying man?
It’s a waste of time CQ
Perennial site numpty random rants with zero coherence
Look I should be fair I haven’t read the above diatribe …whose got the time and I’m a little more selective when looking for good footy opinions
You won’t find anything good in that wall of words 😂

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 8:50pm QC is outside his flags. Lol. :lol:

To be fair Vort goes near footy topics and he’s not even on the reservation 😂

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 8:12pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 2:22pm

Dem da facts.
be like a young fiscally incompetent 18 yo kid with multiple credit cards maxed out and Mum and Dad agree to provide a bail out package with conditions.

And the conditions are a bitch.

financially successful...not so much.
I heard that rumour too. Some kid running up his credit card accounts shouting the bar, every time St.kilda won. I heard mummy fixed it but the conditions were............quite vulgar, really.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The AFL defacto ownership of the teams is something that's pretty well established.

How long before all players and support teams are employed by the AFL and not the clubs?

Does it really matter?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 8:51am The AFL defacto ownership of the teams is something that's pretty well established.

How long before all players and support teams are employed by the AFL and not the clubs?

Does it really matter?
The corporate structure and and commercial arrangements of the AFL already control all 18 clubs. Independence is a facade to maintain loyalty to the AFL brand through tribal branding by club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 8:15pm

absolute BS. we need to have an extensive discussion about your understanding of what "financially successful" means.

pleeeeeease stick to your expert subject matter...the footy....you are waaaaaaay outside your flags with trying to explain finances.
Says you, the crappy jack of all trades and the master of none. Despite your fake PhD.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 8:51am The AFL defacto ownership of the teams is something that's pretty well established.

Does it really matter?
This is the thing that we realise

It does matter, in whatever the context that the tenor of the times dictates.

‘Club debt’ that you rightly point out is a very nebulous and vague construct considering that we are more-or-less franchises now, can suddenly become stark and clear and plastered all over the media as ‘stark and clear’ when the AFL wants to close down a club, merge a club or relocate a club. They can use club debt as an excuse, even though they know it’s a very murky picture. For the limited public window of interest, the figures can do a lot of damage.

Trying to say, yes and no. We are co-dependents and franchises , even media franchises now. But then, all of a sudden, we are a footy club that needs to relocate because of ‘debt’ if the opportunity arises. Say someone has mates and wants to build a new stadium in China

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 11:51am

Says you, the crappy jack of all trades and the master of none. Despite your fake PhD.
fake PhDs, plural FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:15pm
saynta wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 11:51am

fake PhDs, plural FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry mate, I underestimated your capacity to lie. :wink:

Still saving up to shout the bar?