Saints to move haloes for a new star - The Australian

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Persuader
Club Player

We already have a star midfielder with a dodgy groin. One is enough.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
rexy
SS Life Member

I think his point is that Judd holds the cards, he is out of contract and whilst he has said he would not, he can just walk. So if he nominates a club as his place of choice, then it is up to the eagles to do a deal or risk the nick Stevens scenario.

Question? If he was to walk does he automatically go into pre season draft or can he nominate for national draft?

Maybe this year?
saintlee
Club Player

Persuader wrote:We already have a star midfielder with a dodgy groin. One is enough.
These have been my thoughts exactly! I can see it now, bally and judd sitting next to each other in the grandstand, with gardiner one row behind them....no more injury-ridden players thanks!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

You're spot on LLS, the key to this all is which club Judd nominates as his preferred destination.

All this talk about #9 plus Joey plus Goose plus BJ is getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

I personally think Melbourne is a real big show...they're put together a committee comprising Ian Johnson (MD Ch 7 Melb), Paul Gardner (Owns Media interests), David Jones (President MCC) Michael Kroger (ex Lib party) and a few others, whose brief is to provide post football career options for their players and to attract other players to Melbourne.

It is forward thinking like this that will attract Judd. Million dollar salaries are one thing, getting set up for life career wise will be very important for Judd. Melbourne also have an early pick, are the club that he supported as a kid and are probably only a few years off being a flag contender again.

I'm not sure what we can offer Judd in similar terms.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote:The wild card in this debate is the man himself.

If Judd nominates the Saints as his preferred team, then West Coast are almost compelled to take a reasonable offer for him.

That reasonable offer might just be pick 9 alone.

Judd (and the club of his choice) hold all the aces in this game.

The one thing that West Coast would not want Judd to do is nominate Richmond as his club of choice. Given the Tigers have first crack in the pre-season draft, the Eagles could end up with nothing but memories for their trouble.
Keep in mind that it's unlikely that Judd is going to want to completely screw the Eagles. The biggest killer of trades in the AFL is that all 3 parties need to agree to the arrangement, so unless the guy leaving is just keen to get away and no longer cares, it's not likely Judd will go for a song. Not that Eagles fans will ever firgive him regardless.

While he's not going to want his destination ruined to pay the price, Judd doesn't seem the type to put a gun to the head of the Eagles and say "get it done or I'll get there for nothing" either. He's out of contract, NOT a free agent.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Pick 9 alone for Judd, surely you jest??

They will want a damn sight more than that!
What they want and what they get are two entirely different things.

What did the Hawks want for Everitt last year? What did they get?
I bet the Lions wanted a lot more than they got for Aka.

The fact that Judd is out of contract makes a world of difference here. The Eagles have no choice but to get what they can. Judd can walk away from the club and leave them with nothing!

Talk is cheap in the trade world.

If the final offer is not acceptable to the Eagles they can play hard ball and send Judd to the pre-season draft but nobody wins that in that deal except Richmond.

SirDog
Club Player

Judd has to undergo major surgeory. I think its a risk to place so much importance on him. If we can afford him great but be wary of our other injury liabilities we are carrying.

Gardner still hasn't come up trumps (if he ever does).

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
brewski
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Imagine if we could get him for pick 9.

WOW.

Membership would be over 40,000......

An everyone would have a new favourite player.

should also be able to attract big sponsors with marquee players like Judd in addition to Roo in our team

Would love to get him, but if he doesn't want to come i still think we can get a gun for pick 9, because club that does get Judd will need to throw up quite a lot of ammo to make Wet toast play

Banned by the censors
saintlee
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:
saintlee wrote:Pick 9 alone for Judd, surely you jest??

They will want a damn sight more than that!
What they want and what they get are two entirely different things.

What did the Hawks want for Everitt last year? What did they get?
I bet the Lions wanted a lot more than they got for Aka.

The fact that Judd is out of contract makes a world of difference here. The Eagles have no choice but to get what they can. Judd can walk away from the club and leave them with nothing!

Talk is cheap in the trade world.

If the final offer is not acceptable to the Eagles they can play hard ball and send Judd to the pre-season draft but nobody wins that in that deal except Richmond.
This is true, but they will get a good offer from a number of clubs....okay, say judd nominates the saints as his preferred option, I just can't see pick 9 alone as being nearly enough, they will want, at the very least, a decent player, say Goose.....most likely this would have to be a three way deal with carlton or melbourne......

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

but if judd nominates the saints would the eagles not take pick 9, rather than take nothing and releasing him to the tigers ala nick stevens

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
rexy
SS Life Member

I think Collingwood are probably in the box seat personally, I beleive they will put together a very attractive offer to him, and then if he nominates them I would imagine all but 3 players would be open for use to secure the picks they need.

Essendon may also be a smokey, great club from a facilities point of view, enough talent on the list to suggest they can go somewhere and who knows maybe they already have a coach lined up who they can tell certain people about if it means securing their services?

Melbourne are a show from a child hood dream point of view, possible.

Richmond I dont think are a shot, need to concentrate on talls to move forward IMO.

Carlton, dont know why but I cant see it.

Doggies, need talls.

StK, Haw Gee- salary cap issues in reality I think.

N.M- maybe a deal with Wells and a top ten pick but would probably have to part with McIntosh or Hansen to secure a top 10 pick. Thats 2 future stars gone for one.

Maybe this year?
saintlee
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:but if judd nominates the saints would the eagles not take pick 9, rather than take nothing and releasing him to the tigers ala nick stevens
Of course they'll take pick 9, but that alone is not enough, plus, as the article says, kenny will offer whatever it takes (within reason) to get judd, and that will be expensive

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:StK, Haw Gee- salary cap issues in reality I think.

N.M- maybe a deal with Wells and a top ten pick but would probably have to part with McIntosh or Hansen to secure a top 10 pick. Thats 2 future stars gone for one.
Id give #9 for McIntosh.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Judd will not go to the Roos......as there is stilla chance that they will be the Golad coast Northen Kangaroos ina few years time.

He wants a club that will be 100% guaranteed in Melbourne.

This may also deflate the Hawks with thir little bit pregnant Tassie shift.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Brewer
Club Player

I'd put our chances of getting Judd at about 3/5ths of FA.

HOWEVER, it doesn't cost a cent to talk to the guy. For all we know he may have a soft spot for St Kilda, friends in Moorabbin, or a secret crush on Robert Harvey.

The key to getting Judd is not draft picks, it's about winning Judd himself. After that it's about negotiation with the WCE. We're putting the cart way before the horse here to speculate about what we may have to give them. If Judd makes a firm decision to come to the Saints then we could give the Eagles a 10% discount in the Saints shop, it'll still be more than they'll get if he ends up in the draft.

I think Carlton have too much work to do. Judd doesn't want to step into a shambles and rebuild it single-handedly. And that could be the same problem for us, unfortunately. We may not be a total basket case, but we aren't far off - injuries are still a major thorn in our side, we didn't make the 8, we have shoddy facilities and a board that's imploding. If Judd wants to slot into a professional outfit then we're not looking good.

If it comes down to trying to buy Judd with shiny toys, Collingwood will be almost impossible to beat. Eddie is very very good at his job, our current pack of cretins are not. As much as I hate to say it, Collingwood is virtually the Rolls Royce of Melbourne footy clubs these days. They have the most professional package of any of us. They are a cohesive unit with excellent facilities, an excellent coach, stable sponsorships, and clearly a pretty decent shot at a flag over the next few years - with or without Judd.

It would be irresponsible not to talk to the guy, but I wouldn't be worrying about who we need to trade just yet.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

rexy wrote:I think Collingwood are probably in the box seat personally, I beleive they will put together a very attractive offer to him, and then if he nominates them I would imagine all but 3 players would be open for use to secure the picks they need.
Yep sure are. Could free up some salary cap space by exiting out Buckley, and a new lexus could magically appear in Judds driveway one day.

They offered J. Brown $7.5m over 5 years this time last year, so there must be some salary cap space somewhere.

woooosaints
Club Player

the ONLY way we should trade for judd is if maguire doesnt sign so we can on trade him for higher picks for judd id love to have him but id rather our current lot

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I cant see this happening.

Would be a serious cut throat decision from Lyon, as its gonna take a top ten player of ours to get the trade.

Would be gutted if Maguire's name even came up...He's just too important.

A trade of something like a fit Dal Santo may come back to haunt us in the worst possible way.

Losing draft pics, especially top ten draft picks makes me feel sick.

Judd is a gun. No doubt about it.

But we still need junior development. Our best shot at that is draft picks in the top20, or even top 40. After that its a lottery.

We wont get him without letting go a Dal, Joey or Gram.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Brewer wrote:I'd put our chances of getting Judd at about 3/5ths of FA.
Me too.
If it comes down to trying to buy Judd with shiny toys, Collingwood will be almost impossible to beat.
Yep. They have everything he could want ... except low draft picks. They'll need to trade seriously for that.

I'd toy with the concept of Judd going to Melbourne; we flog pick 9 to them for Nathan Jones, and they trade 2 top 10 picks to WC for Judd.

Win/Win/Win.

Jones will be a gun midfielder, is only 20 or so and would be a great use of pick 9.

But I doubt he'll end up at Melbourne ... :cry:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Would be gutted if Maguire's name even came up...He's just too important.
Absolutely.

I'm amazed how short people's memories are.

woooosaints
Club Player

maguires name would only come up if he doesnt sign a new deal and every day that goes by where we are not hearing the annoucement its getting more and more likely

Brewer
Club Player

St DAC wrote:
Brewer wrote:If it comes down to trying to buy Judd with shiny toys, Collingwood will be almost impossible to beat.
Yep. They have everything he could want ... except low draft picks. They'll need to trade seriously for that.
I would think Collingwood are in an ideal position to trade seriously for low picks. They have a nice list of GOP's that are easily overrated (due to being in such a professional unit) and would be very tempting to fill holes other clubs - but with Collingwood's production line would barely be missed down at the Lexus centre.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Saints94
SS Life Member

If Hamill knows and doctors tell him he cant go on before the trade period or his body is showing signs of it retire sammy then we can afford judd :idea:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Brewer wrote:
St DAC wrote:
Brewer wrote:If it comes down to trying to buy Judd with shiny toys, Collingwood will be almost impossible to beat.
I would think Collingwood are in an ideal position to trade seriously for low picks. They have a nice list of GOP's that are easily overrated (due to being in such a professional unit) and would be very tempting to fill holes other clubs - but with Collingwood's production line would barely be missed down at the Lexus centre.
I am not saying your wrong brewer but who at collingwood do you think has trade value and is disposable?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
claystreet
Club Player

wouldnt Sammies payments still be part of TPP for 08
even if he declared himself out?