Those Saints under the pump in 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:

, Ferg has never had a chance to play on his terms. I also think L.Fisher has many flaws but admire the way he gets the most out of himself....for me Ferg way ahead of L.Fisher and L.Fisher >>>>>Gwilt.

Well on potential that may be..

But the OP was about players that needed to deliver more in 2008 than they did in 2007.

Do you rate Ferg as having delivered more than L Fisher in 2007?

Or was your rating about potential? Nothing wrong with that, but it is not what I was posting on and in particular for a player of Fergs age. A younger player such as Howard will no doubt be afforeded the luxury of more time to bloom, but I would imagine that Ferg needs to produce at a higher level in 2008. "Potential" will no longer be good enough.

If Ferg delivers in 2008 what he delivered in 2007 do you think he will still be on the list in 2009?

Any or all of the players I have listed including Ferg can still be on the list in 2009 but in my view only if they can deliver more they did in 2007.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Considered starting a thread like this a few times, but kept deciding against it as we'd get the partisan player debates (i.e. Ferg) and IMO, there are so few who are NOT in danger this year... there are of course those who we'd expect to survive, but the pressure to remain a Saint has never been higher IMO... IMO, we actually had GREAT depth (just not enough to cover a ridiculous run of injuries), and we've increased it! That means plenty of quality players won't be Saints in '09.

For mine:

Attard: Only wasn't given a list spot as a result of injury. The Saints have tried to do right by him, but knee injuries can be nasty and he's a rookie...

Birss: Showed some good, also showed some bad. Needs to win a starting spot to get offered another contract or get some trade value.

Blake: The addition Dempster and King means he needs to keep an eye over his shoulder.

Both Clarke's: Get a hard time from some and an easy ride from others... both start in the 22 IMO, but there's enough quality youngens behind them to put both under pressure.

Dempster: Where is his role to be? Needs to win and keep his spot.

Ferg: Seriously, don't care what people have seen at VFL level, if he can't break into the AFL team, might as well have kept Raymond. Has to be considered 1st on the chopping block if the chop were made today.

Fiora: Earns his keep, but will be one of te spots the kids are gunning for.

C Gardiner: Must break into the AFL.

M Gardiner: Must get onto the field.

F Gehrig: Love the G train... and glad he wanted to play again in November... but how will he feel come April?

J Gwilt: Worth having a Gwilt as insurance, but short AFL lsits don't lend themselves to insurance. Needs to be chasing R Clarke's spot, and needs to break into the team.

Hudghton: My favorite Saint. If his body holds up, no danger at all, but I've always suspected his career would end on a slippery slope and I'm worried that slope may have started it's slide.

C Jones: Needs to improve his ball use. A lot. Quickly.

S King: Needs to play enough games to be worth keeping.

Milney: With X and Schneider both able to play the small forward role, and kids knocking on the door, can't afford to go backwards.

Rix: His job depends on the health of King and Gardiner, and the development of McEvoy and Van Rheenan.

Likely retirements at years end for Gehrig and Harvey may save some, but there's a lot of players who won't want to be in that next couplr of considerations. IMO Ferg, Rix and C Gardiner have the most to prove, while the Clarkes, Fiora, Hudghton and Milney would have to play their way off the team.

IMO one of the greatest reasons for optomism right now is the number of guys with their careers to play for on a talented list that hasn't imploded yet (touch wood) with injuries.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
woooosaints
Club Player

when attard busted his knee you could tell the coach put him in a more midfield role and he did it very well imo hes far more valuable then mini he has the confidence and the ability.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

But the OP was about players that needed to deliver more in 2008 than they did in 2007.

Or was your rating about potential? Nothing wrong with that, but it is not what I was posting on and in particular for a player of Fergs age. A younger player such as Howard will no doubt be afforeded the luxury of more time to bloom, but I would imagine that Ferg needs to produce at a higher level in 2008. "Potential" will no longer be good enough.

If Ferg delivers in 2008 what he delivered in 2007 do you think he will still be on the list in 2009?

Any or all of the players I have listed including Ferg can still be on the list in 2009 but in my view only if they can deliver more they did in 2007.
The answer is really simple...

YES!

I have no doubt on his ability and yes he has been plagued by injuries but has produced enough on his games in 2007 both in VFL and AFL level IMO.

He may well be our next full back IMO!

I just feel both you and some others on here don't really have a clue and post for the sake of it...

AGAIN.

In 2007 Fergs was given some specific tasks in his two matches and performed those tasks very well and also played very well in some games for the scorpions...

It's just a pity you and some others fail to see this or just maybe lack any knowledge at all IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

at least 3 must go to make way for our selections in the national draft. The way our Rookies are going, we might want to elevate two of those again.

So, 5 spots must be cleared.

- Harvey: As much as i'd love for him to go on forever, he will more than likely hang up the boots.
- Gwilt: Will need to improve, put in some solid footy and do the tasks set for him, but even still will be under the pump.
- Ferguson: His last chance to prove himself, if he can't break a spot in the 22 this year then he's gone.
- Rix: Hopefully we can get McEvoy and/or Van Rheenen up to Rix's level by this year and Rix can be delisted.
- M. Gardiner: If he fails to play more than 5 games, get rid of him.
- Howard: Will be under huge pressure to show some potential at least.

We might even get rid of C. Gardiner and/or Dempster if they're not up to scratch, and Birss might be on thin ice too.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

The answer is really simple...

YES!

I have no doubt on his ability and yes he has been plagued by injuries but has produced enough on his games in 2007 both in VFL and AFL level IMO.

He may well be our next full back IMO!

I just feel both you and some others on here don't really have a clue and post for the sake of it...

AGAIN.

In 2007 Fergs was given some specific tasks in his two matches and performed those tasks very well and also played very well in some games for the scorpions...

It's just a pity you and some others fail to see this or just maybe lack any knowledge at all IMO

I think the fact he only played two games is the problem regardless of wether he performed his task excellently or not he was still given only two games and therefore one can asume not held that highly in the ranks at the saints and therefore under pressure.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

fergs has been training the track down this summer...

doing every little thing to give him he best chance of succeeding and establishing himself at our club

i guess he knows that it is now or never

good luck to him

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

I think the fact he only played two games is the problem regardless of wether he performed his task excellently or not he was still given only two games and therefore one can asume not held that highly in the ranks at the saints and therefore under pressure.
The fact that he had only played "two games" to me is illrelevant IMO.

He is the best bet we have to play tall or small in defence, apart from out current top 22...

In my mind he will be capable of playing full back and to suggest that he is on the same page as M. Gardiner is a joke...

Some poster has devoted a "special" post on this player, as if he is some premodona FFS he has not played a decent game in about 4 - 5 years and yet this player is in the same bracket as Fergs is astounding ...

Again...

RL gave Fergs a job on his two matches and performed well, your M.Gardiner has done F*** all in two years...

Please spear me the melodrama, you really don't see talent and you really don't see a player that is Gone.....

Carry on with your continuous posting SrR, I do (at times enjoy the laugh)

Pity you come across as a poster that appears to have knowledge, but to me it is dribble...

You come across as a poster that knows very little of Fregs, and yet you continue with you "theme" of knowledge and baseless facts

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

That's why this is a "forum" St. Fid. To discuss different points of view. What you perceive as dribble may in fact be groundbreaking to someone else. We can't all have the same opinion & we need to respect others rights to state their piece. You don't have to read it. :)

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:The fact that he had only played "two games" to me is illrelevant IMO.He is the best bet we have to play tall or small in defence, apart from out current top 22...
I don't think it is at all. In a season where we had 3 of our back 6 missing most of the time, you would think that a mature bodied defender like Ferguson would be given plenty of opportunities if he was rated. Gilbert, Gwilt and R.Clarke were all given more opportunitites than Ferguson. With Gilbert cementing his spot, Raph having a full pre season, Dempster's arrival and Goddard returning this year Ferguson will have a much harder time getting a gig in '08.
In my mind he will be capable of playing full back and to suggest that he is on the same page as M. Gardiner is a joke...
What can you base that on? He played some ok (not great) games in 2004 as a key defender, but he was still exposed for a lack of height, strength and concentration/reflexes.
RL gave Fergs a job on his two matches and performed well, your M.Gardiner has done F*** all in two years...
He played pretty well on a decent forward in LeCras, even though he did let LeCras get away from him at the end of the game and kick the goal that put us away. The week after that he was slaughtered by Pettifer.

I think that Ferg could be a solid AFL player, but his role would purely be as a medium defender. We have the best and longest list of medium defenders in the competition. He was occasionally used as an emergency tall defender, but now Gilbert is the first choice, Dempster would be the second and Gwilt would also be ahead of Ferguson because of his extra strength.

Gardiner is kept in the hope that he can one day regain some of the form that saw him regarded as the best ruckman in the competition in 2002-2003. He has plenty of negatives, but a huge potential upside, and he plays a position in which we are severely lacking.

I don't know why Ferguson is kept on the list. I don't see his AFL performances getting much better and he is well down on a long list of medium defenders.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
St Fidelius wrote: In my mind he will be capable of playing full back and to suggest that he is on the same page as M. Gardiner is a joke...
What can you base that on? He played some ok (not great) games in 2004 as a key defender, but he was still exposed for a lack of height, strength and concentration/reflexes.
I base that on my opinion as I have stated ....

He is our next best opinion that can play small or tall.....

and can defend apart from just attack

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep again it's my opinion just like I attacked some posters that wanted or at least suggested that Geary should be delisted around August last year...

Some posters don't have a clue and yes, it's a forum and I am stating my thoughts...

Clue some one???

Now some posters have suggested that Geary could be the next improver, I just wonder if any of those were the ones that suggested that he should be de listed... :roll:

And we have the anti Fergs posters....

Yep some just don't have a clue do they? :roll:

killa_gram
Club Player

Fiora - For a player who has been in the system for as long as he has, he does not do enough.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:Fiora - For a player who has been in the system for as long as he has, he does not do enough.
and his obvious ability makes it all the more frustrating

BallBanger
Club Player

Otiman wrote:at least 3 must go to make way for our selections in the national draft. The way our Rookies are going, we might want to elevate two of those again.

- Harvey: As much as i'd love for him to go on forever, he will more than likely hang up the boots.
- Gwilt: Will need to improve, put in some solid footy and do the tasks set for him, but even still will be under the pump.
- Ferguson: His last chance to prove himself, if he can't break a spot in the 22 this year then he's gone.
- Rix: Hopefully we can get McEvoy and/or Van Rheenen up to Rix's level by this year and Rix can be delisted.

We might even get rid of C. Gardiner and/or Dempster if they're not up to scratch, and Birss might be on thin ice too.
add fllowing: -
Milne - has more bad points than good
Gerhrig - needs to not walk away when ball does not come to him...attack ball/pack more
L.Fisher - Slow average skills but hard at it
Birss - slow average skills
Blake - not quite key position and appears that we may have enough run with players

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:at least 3 must go to make way for our selections in the national draft. The way our Rookies are going, we might want to elevate two of those again.

Have the rookies done alright this year. I must have missed those games.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

thats an easy one, if none show enough to push for selection in the 22 they will be cut. eddy, the van and attard are on their last rookie year so they need to show they deserve a spot on the list. If not they are gone. But eddy was highly rated at the end of last year for casey, is the best runner at the club and should push for elevation this year in a midfield lacking in depth. He had a better 2007 then armo lets just say that. The van is highly rated at the club and depending on how MG, king and rix go could push for a spot on the senior list. And unless attard does not come back from his knee he should make the jump. So it's not unreasonable to expect 1-3 at least to be bought up.

But yes it does come down to how they play this year, untill the ball is bounced we can only guess and theorise. Don't like, well we shall see you the night after round 1! :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

thats an easy one, if none show enough to push for selection in the 22 they will be cut. eddy, the van and attard are on their last rookie year so they need to show they deserve a spot on the list. If not they are gone. But eddy was highly rated at the end of last year for casey, is the best runner at the club and should push for elevation this year in a midfield lacking in depth. He had a better 2007 then armo lets just say that. The van is highly rated at the club and depending on how MG, king and rix go could push for a spot on the senior list. And unless attard does not come back from his knee he should make the jump. So it's not unreasonable to expect 1-3 at least to be bought up.

But yes it does come down to how they play this year, untill the ball is bounced we can only guess and theorise. Don't like, well we shall see you the night after round 1! :roll:
Sorry dont understand your last comment. Anyway to suggest that Eddy was better than Armo does make me laugh. Armo played better at Scorps and also played 3 AFL games. VR looks good and I hope you are right that he makes it but it will be hard work for all the rookies.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry dont understand your last comment. Anyway to suggest that Eddy was better than Armo does make me laugh. Armo played better at Scorps and also played 3 AFL games. VR looks good and I hope you are right that he makes it but it will be hard work for all the rookies.
of course it will be, but don't be a smart arse about it suggesting that noone can have an opinion about rookies making it.

Not sure which casey games you went to but most revolved around eddy doing some good work off half back while armo got dragged. Hell he spent more time on the bike then he did on the field. Tell me one game where armo played better at the scorps. He would have a good tackle or hard ball contest then go missing for 10 minutes. eddy was a hard worker. attard should come up and with the injury background of our two main rucks it's not hard to imagine the van getting a call up. oh and a first round pick is on the rookie list as well.

btw the last comment surround you being a smart arse "Have the rookies done alright this year. I must have missed those games."

If you don't want to theorise about the future without actual 2008 results then do as I say and piss off till saturday of round 1

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

of course it will be, but don't be a smart arse about it suggesting that noone can have an opinion about rookies making it.

Not sure which casey games you went to but most revolved around eddy doing some good work off half back while armo got dragged. Hell he spent more time on the bike then he did on the field. Tell me one game where armo played better at the scorps. He would have a good tackle or hard ball contest then go missing for 10 minutes. eddy was a hard worker. attard should come up and with the injury background of our two main rucks it's not hard to imagine the van getting a call up. oh and a first round pick is on the rookie list as well.

btw the last comment surround you being a smart arse "Have the rookies done alright this year. I must have missed those games."

If you don't want to theorise about the future without actual 2008 results then do as I say and piss off till saturday of round 1
I went to 7 scorps games last year but cannot remember any of them to be honest. What I can say is Armo got in the best many more times than Eddy so that is why he was better. He also played 3 games in the AFL and Eddy didnt even get put up when we had long term injuries and hasnt been put up again this year so I think that says something.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Have the rookies done alright this year. I must have missed those games.
I mean our rookies in general. None have pushed for elevation in the last 4 or 5 years, and we have already elevated 2 from last year, and a third rookie played 20 AFL games.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:I mean our rookies in general. None have pushed for elevation in the last 4 or 5 years, and we have already elevated 2 from last year, and a third rookie played 20 AFL games.
Murray, Oliver, Stone and Pfitzner were all elevated in the last 5 seasons.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I went to 7 scorps games last year but cannot remember any of them to be honest. What I can say is Armo got in the best many more times than Eddy so that is why he was better. He also played 3 games in the AFL and Eddy didnt even get put up when we had long term injuries and hasnt been put up again this year so I think that says something.
brooks was in the bests for casey more times so therefore by your logic he is a better player then armo :roll: Bring back the brooks LOL

FQF
In richo I trust

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Kosi should be under the pump. Needs to put in dominant efforts every week. Obviously wouldn't be delisted, but now over his injuries hopefully, he needs to mperform.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

brooks was in the bests for casey more times so therefore by your logic he is a better player then armo :roll: Bring back the brooks LOL
No my logic is simple so should i say ot slowly for you. A r m o palyed 3 in the ones last year. E d d y didnt play any when we had injuries and still didnt get put up this year. Surely you can see the logic in that.