Rd 2 v Carlton. Pre Match thread !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Gehrig was never going to play last week and was not injured.
if that's true it almost cost us 4 points.

we would have won a lot more easily with him, kosi and riewoldt forward.

if you've got three gun tall forwards you ought to use all of them. it's our point of difference and we should take full advantage of it.

gO.SainTs
Club Player

For some reason, I can't wait to see Ackland against King and Gardiner... :lol:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

i just watched the replay, looking carefully at the players who could be facing the chop.

Fiora
L.Fisher
R.Clarke
Gilbert
C.Gardiner
Jones

It will be a hard decision to make. Fiora and Jones, despite limited touches played quite well to be honest. Leigh obviously isnt as noticeable being a tagger. Gilbert and Raph battled well in defence. Raph could be left out due to matchups (no real forwards in carltons lineup). Gilbert is safe, this match will suit him as he will be able to return to his running role across the wings. Charlie i think should be safe, hes done nothing wrong all preseason.

If Gehrig's the only inclusion then expect Fiora to make way. If Goddard is being considered then it makes it hard. None of the players deserve to be dropped. Probably Leigh if he isnt being considered for a tagging job on Judd/Murphy/Stevens/Carrazzo/etc.

StPeter
Club Player

I wouldn't expect Leigh Fisher to go. He got best on ground from the

coaches on "Footy Classified" on Monday night.

9 votes from a possible 10.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gO.SainTs wrote:For some reason, I can't wait to see Ackland against King and Gardiner... :lol:
i actually forgot he played for them. :lol:
and im still trying to forget he played for us :P

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
gO.SainTs wrote:For some reason, I can't wait to see Ackland against King and Gardiner... :lol:
i actually forgot he played for them. :lol:
and im still trying to forget he played for us :P
scary to think that he did play for us...i for one was not bothered when he buggered off...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Carlton ins are Hampson, Fisher and possibly Kreuzer

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 62,00.html

they will boast a fairly tall side looking at those inclusions - lowers the risk of us playing such a tall forward line

good game to put our Gehrig, Riewoldt, Koschitzke lineup together

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote: lowers the risk of us playing such a tall forward line
honest question here.

what is the risk of us playing a tall forward line?

might we again be the lowest-scoring team in the competition as in 2007? might we struggle to put 50 points on the board?

what i'm saying here is that the alternative hasn't been working so we really have nothing to lose.

we've got three of the best tall forwards going around in roo, fraser and kosi and i say play all three in the same forward line when available.

long, quick and direct movement down there and a couple of good crumbers such as milne and schneider and most defences won't stand a chance.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

well i think on any givin day you should put your best team out on the park,

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
honest question here.

might we again be the lowest-scoring team in the competition as in 2007? might we struggle to put 50 points on the board?

what i'm saying here is that the alternative hasn't been working.

we've got three of the best tall forwards going around in roo, fraser and kosi and i say play all three in the same forward line when available.

long, quick and direct movement down there and a couple of good crumbers such as milne and schneider and most defences won't stand a chance.
the general accepted rule as to why a tall forward line is risky is due to the fact that generally talls arnt as accountable when it comes to the opposition defence rebounding the ball.

the opposition can simply put a few small, quick defenders in front of each contest and watch them take the crumbs and run out of defence (with ease?).

obviously the problem can be "solved" by us just placing milne and schneider at the feet of the keys but then you start getting congestion. the three talls will generally take 3-5 defenders, along with the smalls opponents thats already 11-13 players sitting in our forward 50.

in todays game, you want as little players in your forward line as possible - which is why you normally have your ff, fp and chf - the others all push up the ground and become extra wingmen.

this leaves plenty of space and at the most 7 players in your forward 50 (ff, fp, chf, fb, bp, chb and extra man)

we are blessed with three very good key forwards and we should use them as a weapon. there is always a risk in going too tall in the forward line however if the smalls (and talls) work hard enough while the ball is being rebounded then we WILL be alright.

this is what we should be aiming for - our trio (gehrig, riewoldt, koschitzke) all worked at their best together in a game against western bulldogs either late 06 or 07? would be a good game to go back and watch

CHF: S.Milne - N.Riewoldt - A.Schneider

(LEAVE SPACE)

FF: J.Koschitzke - F.Gehrig

Gilbert=Legend

BigMart wrote:Ins...Goddard, Gehrig
Outs...Fiora, Gilbert/Raph

B: GILBERT/RAPH -- MAX -- GEARY

HB: GRAM -- SAM F. -- DAL

C: SCHNIEDS -- L.FISHER (judd) -- XAVIER

HF: CJ -- REIWOLDT -- CHARLIE

F: MILNE -- KOSI -- GEHRIG

Foll: KING -- HAYES -- MONTAGNA

INT: M.GARDNER -- HARVES -- BALL -- GODDARD

EMERG: BLAKE -- BIRSS -- FIORA
Great team!! except Gilbert must stay in and raph must be dropped after last weeks performance. Gilbert has proved he can continue his form week in week out where as raph looks slow and uncertain.

When goose returns, i don't know who we would drop...its great we have some of best players batteling for there spot due to not many injures...lets hope it continues

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:

Great team!! except Gilbert must stay in and raph must be dropped after last weeks performance. Gilbert has proved he can continue his form week in week out where as raph looks slow and uncertain.

When goose returns, i don't know who we would drop...its great we have some of best players batteling for there spot due to not many injures...lets hope it continues
i would drop gilbert when goose came back.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:the general accepted rule as to why a tall forward line is risky is due to the fact that generally talls arnt as accountable when it comes to the opposition defence rebounding the ball.
well ours are all very good talls and generally accepted rules are made to be broken. gives us a point of difference with most other teams.

the crucial thing, of course, is long, swift and direct delivery

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintBot wrote:the general accepted rule as to why a tall forward line is risky is due to the fact that generally talls arnt as accountable when it comes to the opposition defence rebounding the ball.
well ours are all very good talls and generally accepted rules are made to be broken. gives us a point of difference with most other teams.

the crucial thing, of course, is long, swift and direct delivery
i agree 100%

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
honest question here.

what i'm saying here is that the alternative hasn't been working so we really have nothing to lose.

What? Kick the ball in the air to 3 of the best tall forwards in the game?

Never work. Better off faffing about with the ball across the defensive 50 until at least 90% of the opposition team are in our forward 50. Works a treat!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:What? Kick the ball in the air to 3 of the best tall forwards in the game? Never work. Better off faffing about with the ball across the defensive 50 until at least 90% of the opposition team are in our forward 50. Works a treat!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

love your work
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 27 Mar 2008 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Unhygenic yes psych problem probably not

A piddler is not on the same level as a basher so as much as i hope 'Fev- "Who do you think you are" -( his words ) has a shocker i'm don't think he needs psychanalysis for pavement piddling. Anger management is another issue though.

G O S A I N T S

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Lois post

[quote="Megamaguire"]A piddler is not on the same level as a basher so as much as i hope 'Fev- "Who do you think you are" -( his words ) has a shocker i'm don't think he needs psychanalysis for pavement piddling. Anger management is another issue though.

This post is mainly in reply to Lois who pointed out Fev's piddling issue

G O S A I N T S

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saints seek payback.....

Link:
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/ ... back-45582

"Hayes said Saints' supporters have been reminding him all week - in the lead-up to Saturday night's Round 2 clash at Telstra Dome - that now is not the time to ease up on a Blues' side that is confident it is about to emerge out of the darkest period in its history."

m_m
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:

i would drop gilbert when goose came back.
yea i agree 100%

Gilbert=Legend

I would consider milne out for goose, lets face it, milne does nothing in big, important matches. For example, the 2004 PF against port, he didnothing. the last game of the 2005 season when he kicked 11 goals in dead match, the next game against adelaide, he did nothing...again.

Gilbert is a much better, smarter player than milne

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i wouldnt drop milne for goose,

milne is needed in the team you need a player like him
i would drop Raph Fizz Gilbert & perhaps Blake, Fisher

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:I would consider milne out for goose, lets face it, milne does nothing in big, important matches. For example, the 2004 PF against port, he didnothing. the last game of the 2005 season when he kicked 11 goals in dead match, the next game against adelaide, he did nothing...again.

Gilbert is a much better, smarter player than milne
:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Milne miss the 2004 PF? I could have sworn it was Guerra who missed that chance at the back of the back at the end of the game. I only ask because I wondered at the time whether Milne would have got to that ball.

I could be wrong and Altzeimers has kicked in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:milne does nothing in big, important matches
i know it's only the NAB cup, but without his last quarter goals against adelaide in the final the game was lost.

also i recall him kicking a few in a final against the swans at the mcg that we won.

he's important to this team because we can bank on him to kick at least 30 goals this season as an opportunist forward.

in a team that has consistently struggled to put a score on the board last season and so far this year milne is vital