Forward set up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Big Carl, that is the reason we have not been successful.

Concentration on goal kickers instead of team.

If Milne (for example) is not in the team, the ball is still in the F50 so someone will be contesting it.

This "he kicks two goals a game" counts for jacks crackers.

ec.

in a team that struggles to actually put the ball between the big sticks milne stands out like a beacon.

i'd suggest that unless someone else demonstrates he can contribute 50-plus for the season, milne's place in the side is as safe as anyone's.

bottom line is that to win matches you have to kick more goals than the opposition.

we were magnificent defensively yesterday in holding the swans goalless for two quarters. but even that is not going to take us all the way against free wheeling and free scoring teams like hawthorn, geelong and the bulldogs.

the forward line is our biggest concern imo.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 29 Mar 2009 10:02pm, edited 3 times in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Kosi looked horrible "one out" in the square... sorry.

More damaging on the run. If fit, I still reckon CHF would suit him better with a rotation to the square?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't particularly care at this early stage of the season where Kosi looks most promising or where he looks horrible....

What I do care about, is that he did well

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kosi does not have to mark the ball to be effective in the team structure.....he needs to contest the ball..

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kosi does not have to mark the ball to be effective in the team structure.....he needs to contest the ball..
Its a good point but Kosi is also very much a confidence player.....his stocks rose instantly after that grab/goal.....you could see it. On song with confidence I truly think Kosi has that rare match winner ability in a short space of time.

I actually thought off the leash a bit last night, allowing him to drift into contests he looked far more dangerous...I get the whole structure thing to bring Milne/Sneider into play, straighten us up etc.....but around the ground as a floating tall I can see Kosi causing sides havoc.

No he cant play this role exclusively:

1 he doesnt have the tank
2 sides will soon run off him aka Carlton against Rich the other night.....run Kosi round and make him accountable..

To me he has to be rotated out of FF to CHF with licence to roam - we get the balance right and he becomes an unpredictable option.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

set up i'd like to see

hf: schneider, riewoldt, dal
f: milne, gilbert, kosi (changing ruck)

or

hf: gilbert, kosi, dal
ff: milne, riewoldt, schneider

while kosi offers a target to which you can bomb it to the advantage of the crumbers, he shows nothing on the lead and we need someone who can lead at ff.

very impressed with gilbert on saturday night. the stint in the forward line in the pre-season seems to have given him a lot of confidence.

he's quick, has good hands and is an effective (if occasionaly awkward) kick. he reminds me a bit of a young g-train.

don't see why we can't spare him from defence (don't forget we have goose awaiting a return and max to come back in).

it's not a sledge on kosi, who i rate very highly as a player. it's just a matter of finding the right niche for him. he looked awesome when allowed to roam plucking in those big marks around the ground.

i think it is chf or second ruck for him, not ff.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 30 Mar 2009 8:12pm, edited 3 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:set up i'd like to see

or

while kosi offers a target to which you can bomb it to the advantage of the crumbers, he looks lost when asked to play deep.

we need someone who can lead at ff.

very impressed with gilbert on saturday night. the stint in the forward line in the pre-season seems to have given him a lot of confidence.

i don't see why we can't spare him from defence once max gets back (and don't forget we also have goose awaiting a return).

it's not a sledge on kosi, who i rate very highly as a player. it's just a matter of finding the right niche for him. he looked awesome when allowed to roam plucking in those big marks around the ground.

i think it is chf or second ruck for him, not ff.
Where is BJ. :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Where is BJ. :wink:
we can't spare him on the ball at present, nuff nuff, though i'm sure it will be an option at some stage :wink:

To the top
SS Life Member

We struggled during the initial stanza of the first quarter when King was being outjumped at the ruck contests.

Gardiner corrected that and rucked superbly (most influential player on the ground in my view).

Kosi had a run in the ruck in the third quarter and Gardiner went forward with King still on the pine, but was out-rucked so back came Gardiner and our dominance returned.

In the last stanza of the last quarter, King came back on and started jumping but was not as dominating as was Gardiner and Sydney commenced scoring again.

Sorry, you do not ruck Kosi except for in exceptional circumstances.

And why would you when we have Gardiner and King?

You play to Kosi's strengths, and they were on display on Saturday night.

You do not waste those strengths at full forward.

Shaggy
Club Player

To the top wrote:We struggled during the initial stanza of the first quarter when King was being outjumped at the ruck contests.

Gardiner corrected that and rucked superbly (most influential player on the ground in my view).

Kosi had a run in the ruck in the third quarter and Gardiner went forward with King still on the pine, but was out-rucked so back came Gardiner and our dominance returned.

In the last stanza of the last quarter, King came back on and started jumping but was not as dominating as was Gardiner and Sydney commenced scoring again.

Sorry, you do not ruck Kosi except for in exceptional circumstances.

And why would you when we have Gardiner and King?

You play to Kosi's strengths, and they were on display on Saturday night.

You do not waste those strengths at full forward.
Not sure what you are trying to say. Actually Kosi's move to the ruck in the 2nd quarter worked. He dominated the centre line. Not with the hit-outs but with his marking.

To me its obvious he must be played around the centre. Positions are not what they were. IMO the traditional followers are starting to dominate around the centre. zones and one on one don't work against guys like Kosi in the middle.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

While he's not the world's greatest tap ruckman kosi can hold his own. And around the ground he offers us aerial dominance unlike either king or gardiner.

I think he's either chf or second ruck (resting fp).

not ff.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 31 Mar 2009 5:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kosi does not have to mark the ball to be effective in the team structure.....he needs to contest the ball..
we arent the bloody western bulldogs where minson or hahn are placed down there and cannot actualy function as a proper forward (yes i know he kicked 5 against the dockers however his career has been littered with just being aggressive and making a contest)

kosi is actually a talented player...other two arent...he isnt there to make a contest..

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Shaggy
Club Player

or

i'd like to see:

hf: schneider, riewoldt, x/joey
f: milne, bj, kosi (dummy FP - playing wing/centre)

BJ to stay close to the square ... everyone else 40 meters away.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

or

i'd like to see:

i could also live with that. bj has good hands and knows where to run to get the ball. he's also a superb kick, a vastly underrated element of being a forward.

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

or

i'd like to see:

i could also live with that. bj has good hands and knows where to run to get the ball.

he's also a superb kick, a vastly underrated element of being a forward.
Kosi up at center IMO makes a huge difference. He controls it and has a great accurate 50 meter drop punt (when he is not kicking for goal) :D . The game swang when he moved into the center (but not because of his tap-outs).

One on one BJ is great in the air and on the ground for FF ... isolate him against the opp.

Jezza and Ablett to FF were a stroke of genius by their coaches. Time for RL to be amongst the brainiacs.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:One on one BJ is great in the air and on the ground for FF ... isolate him against the opp.

Jezza and Ablett to FF were a stroke of genius by their coaches. Time for RL to be amongst the brainiacs.
:) could be a masterstroke

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Shaggy wrote:One on one BJ is great in the air and on the ground for FF ... isolate him against the opp.

yes yes...lets load up in the goal square 1 of only 2 seriously good disposers of the ball by foot so the footy from midfield can be delivered precisely time and again by Jones, Mini and Gram.....yeah thats it.... all we have to do is load up the fwd line.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

yes yes...lets load up in the goal square 1 of only 2 seriously good disposers of the ball by foot so the footy from midfield can be delivered precisely time and again by Jones, Mini and Gram.....yeah thats it.... all we have to do is load up the fwd line.... :roll:
no, there's more to it than that ... as we agreed earlier in this thread.

in any case, i wouldn't be so dismissive of something ross has obviously given some thought.

noticed that he turned to bj successfully a couple of times during the pre-season when we couldn't buy a goal.

it's obviously something he's prepared to entertain in some circumstances ... perhaps like when his key forwards contribute two between them. :wink:

i take the point that we are short of class elsewhere ... raph's injury is a blow ... but you have to admit the idea does have its appeal.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 01 Apr 2009 8:22am, edited 4 times in total.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote: Riewoldt on the other hand has had a constricted preseason and only had limited match fitness two weeks ago against Port Adelaide.
constricted preseason - OUCH!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think the key to some success in our forward line this year, is that RL is not going to stick with something that is not working come game day. I have been pleased that he is mixing up the dynamic on occasions, and it is a move in the right direction IMO.