Round 5 Side V Port Adelaide.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That is a very naive call.......explain how good players lose skill in the wet, yet less skilled players do not.....y

ou should watch the following players in the wet, and see how far above the rest they are.....Hodge, Judd, Ablett, Hird, Harvey B & R, McLeod, Black, C.Cornes, Riewlodt, Akermanis, Didak these are the best wet weather players you can get.....what have they all got - immense skill, to deal/cope with the conditions

I think the dome makes average players look like millionaires.....

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That is a very naive call.......explain how good players lose skill in the wet, yet less skilled players do not.....y

ou should watch the following players in the wet, and see how far above the rest they are.....Hodge, Judd, Ablett, Hird, Harvey B & R, McLeod, Black, C.Cornes, Riewlodt, Akermanis, Didak these are the best wet weather players you can get.....what have they all got - immense skill, to deal/cope with the conditions

BigMart...

If you are stating that my post was a naive call, why don't you make a complaint to the Club?

Name me a game that X has played well in the wet??

Your examples are lop sided, what about the less skilled that perform better in the wet??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
rexy
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:That is a very naive call.......explain how good players lose skill in the wet, yet less skilled players do not.....y

I would say they are just good players period, there was and is however players who stand out as playing above there normal output in the wet, seem to thrive on the conditions. Selwood of Geelong is a current one i can think of. Anyone remember McGoughs ANZAC day medal in the rain, another good example. Dont think anyone is saying that guys with poor skills look better in the rain, just that sometimes guys can close the gap on the good players in wet conditions.

I dont remember seeing Eddy in the rain so couldnt comment on his credentials.

Maybe this year?
markp
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
markp wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
meher baba wrote:I guess the consensus at the club is that X isn't quite ready.
I think X is about as ready as he's going to get. Lyon just has a man-crush on RobEd
I think it sends a great message to X... when your chance comes, you're gonna need to grab it with both hands.
If he did as little as gwilt/eddy during his games would he not get the same opportunities...Eddy has had very little output with sandy to get picked while x the opposite..good form for x proves jack while form for other not needed.
Well then, Eddy must be training better than X and has impressed the coach and the selection committee :idea:
Yup, and it probably goes back to the Dal and Milne omissions too... reputation means nothing, if you fall out with RL you really have to impress to fall back in, and even then you may have wait for your turn... X has obviously failed to impress RL enough to give him a shot over Eddy, simple.

Players should be encouraged to believe that if they are doing what is required of them and they stay fit they'll be playing all year.

I like it, what a luxury to have... I hope we have the same luxury heading into the business end of the season.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:Saints by 25 points
Solar we think alike.

I did my tipping this afternoon.

Saints by 25 points.

ace
Saintsational Legend

At their best X is way ahead of Eddy.

I suspect that the coaching staff were not happy with some aspect of the way X plays or trains.
The suspicion is that he has been told but so far has not been seen to respond appropriately.
He is being held back until he does as he has been told.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Surely you do not think McGough was not a skilled ball winner......his average of possesions for %TOG was #1 in the AFL in his first season....

He had poor disposal - one part of the game.....but his hands were clean in close (wet or dry) and ability to read the play was awesome....

He mad the AFL with woeful disposal and no pace......what does that say about his ability to get the footy...

People confuse the word SKILL

with the ability to kick/HB and mark - they are two skills.....the most important skill is being able to get the thing...otherwise the other two are irrelevent

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Surely you do not think McGough was not a skilled ball winner......his average of possesions for %TOG was #1 in the AFL in his first season....

He had poor disposal - one part of the game.....but his hands were clean in close (wet or dry) and ability to read the play was awesome....

He mad the AFL with woeful disposal and no pace......what does that say about his ability to get the footy...

People confuse the word SKILL

with the ability to kick/HB and mark - they are two skills.....the most important skill is being able to get the thing...otherwise the other two are irrelevent
Still waiting for a response...

BigMart...

If you are stating that my post was a naive call, why don't you make a complaint to the Club?

Name me a game that X has played well in the wet??

Your examples are lop sided, what about the less skilled that perform better in the wet??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintly_safes
Club Player

I think due to the weather forecast they've gone for an in & under type player & Eddy is very good in that role . Good move I reckon :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That does not make any sense what so ever........how can a player play better in the wet????

How can you be a better player with a slippery ball, compared to a dry......how does that work....you explain that....

saintly_safes
Club Player

BigMart wrote:That does not make any sense what so ever........how can a player play better in the wet????

How can you be a better player with a slippery ball, compared to a dry......how does that work....you explain that....
Because it supposed to be wet , the skill level will be lower, the game wont be as fast , there is going to be alot of stopages (ball ups/boundry throw ins etc) & a hard in & under player is a good option in these circumstances imo

kaos theory
Club Player

Just to cut in on this debate about eddy vs. X and skills:

- I agree with BM, a skillfull player, by definition is going to be better than a less skillfull player in all conditions. Note that it requires more skill, not less to perform when the ball is slippery.

- But I don't think Eddy is a poorly skilled player. He has plaenty of up side. We know how skillful X is, his issues are consistency & hardness.

I don't think RL chose eddy over X becuase it is going to be wet & the skills 'even out', he chose him because imo he feels he is better all round atm, and he has big up side.

imo eddy has a much better skill base than c jones, and look how good jones is playing now. Eddy is younger & will be much better...

saintly_safes
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:Just to cut in on this debate about eddy vs. X and skills:

- I agree with BM, a skillfull player, by definition is going to be better than a less skillfull player in all conditions. Note that it requires more skill, not less to perform when the ball is slippery.

- But I don't think Eddy is a poorly skilled player. He has plaenty of up side. We know how skillful X is, his issues are consistency & hardness.

I don't think RL chose eddy over X becuase it is going to be wet & the skills 'even out', he chose him because imo he feels he is better all round atm, and he has big up side.

imo eddy has a much better skill base than c jones, and look how good jones is playing now. Eddy is younger & will be much better...
I'm not saying that skilled players become less skilful , but what wet conditons do is limit their ability to be as dominant as they could be . Imo Eddys skill level is not great at pressent but probably as good if not better than Clinton Jones but Jones is quicker , fitter & gets where the ball is alot more than Eddy does but as you have stated he is still young & has time on his side & this imo only :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you sure????

All measurements have R.Eddy as the fittest player at StK and by a margin....which is why he is on the list....he is the hardest runner....

By what measurements is Eddy a better skilled player than Jones......Kicking - maybe.....that is one skill......

which other ones is he better at.....HB, Tackling, marking, picking the ball up, bouncing, baulking and the most important skill of all......winning the ball.....as you cannot perform any of the other skills without being able to get in the right positions to win the ball.....

You cannot measure a persons skill level by looking at one attrbute.......otherwise Sam Mitchell could be the most skilled player in the AFL - he is the best Hand Baller....

in my opinion the highest skilled player in the AFL.....taking in all facets is
Luke Hodge
with many more around the mark....including Dal and BJ

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It must come down to the definitions placed on "skill"

Xavier IMHO has better foot skills, ball carrying, marking for example than Eddy.

Eddy IMHO is a better endurance runner, better tackler.

who finds the ball most?

Hard to guage but you could argue in the tight, slippery pack conditions of the wet...the 'hard nosed/workmanlike approach of Eddy AND his larger frame gives him some edge.

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

ROBERT EDDY also named in the Sandringham Seniors for Sunday afternoon. :? :? :?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:ROBERT EDDY also named in the Sandringham Seniors for Sunday afternoon. :? :? :?
With X (and others) an emergency maybe they;ll pull a swifty at the last minute depending on ground conditions?