trades?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:wouldn't we have to pay out Begley to delist him since the contract when you take someone in the main draft is a 2 year contract
That is only for your first AFL contract. he may have 2 years but it could be one.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I doubt we'll be particularly active in trade week. Obviously we'll look at adding talent if it comes at the right price, but I can't see us landing a big name. We won't be moving a big name either. More likely, we'll add a younger player who can help us in the future. If Goose decides he wants out, we'll probably accomodate him. Other than that, I can't see us doing much.

Baker and Hayes to the veterans list opens up two spots on the list. Allen retiring opens up another. Leigh Fisher is probably gone, so that's one more. Dawson has to be upgraded and a decision needs to be made on Miles. Neither of Begley and Connors needs to go, it's just a question of if we think we can do better. So definitely add picks 16, 32, 48 and Dawson. Pick any two out of Begley, Connors, Miles or further draft picks.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

VS I like many of your posts.

But I think recent history shows that Lyon/Drain will trade if they:

*see a need that needs to be filled
*see value in it

In terms of needs we would benefit from:

* another mid (Armo or Steven may be a solution)
* third forward cum half forward (Gwilt, Dempster tried...but are not really doing it)
* super mobile ruck (cannot see any being available)

Of the above another forward option will be the player that wil most be occupying Lyon's mind at present. This is where we fell down in the GF the most...and it is the position that we are least able in. And I am not sure that Lynch will be ready this year.

And it is not just the obvious player either...Rooke has been great value to the Cat's since he has been moved forward.

Now these may or may not be available, and Lyon/Drain will not trade for the sake of it. But I would believe that they will actively look.

However a player like Everitt could free up say Gilbert for the forward line.

Burgoyne would a be a fantastic fit for us as IMO we are short one elite mid. However our salary cap may be too tight for him and I am not sure that we have the pics or the players to trade for him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:VS I like many of your posts.

But I think recent history shows that Lyon/Drain will trade if they:

*see a need that needs to be filled
*see value in it

In terms of needs we would benefit from:

* third forward cum half forward (Gwilt, Dempster tried...but are not really doing it)

Of the above another forward option will be the player that wil most be occupying Lyon's mind at present. This is where we fell down in the GF the most...and it is the position that we are least able in. And I am not sure that Lynch will be ready this year.

And it is not just the obvious player either...Rooke has been great value to the Cat's since he has been moved forward.

Now these may or may not be available, and Lyon/Drain will not trade for the sake of it. But I would believe that they will actively look.

However a player like Everitt could free up say Gilbert for the forward line.

Burgoyne would a be a fantastic fit for us as IMO we are short one elite mid. However our salary cap may be too tight for him and I am not sure that we have the pics or the players to trade for him.

Would like to see Steven given a go in the middle. Think he may be very good, and if we could get Everitt that would be a good move, have been impressed with him on the few occasions I have seen him.

I am no coming round to the view that afew of our fringe players are just not up to it and we need to improve our buttom 4 to 6 players

I love this club
hAyES
Club Player

I'm hoping Steven or Geary can be our running defender. Raph has had plenty of chances but this year has showed his decision making is slow, is slow in general and his ball use just isn't anywhere near where it should be for someone that plays his role.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:In terms of needs we would benefit from:

There's Armo, X, Eddy, Geary and Steven all outside the team that played yesterday. I don't see the midfield as a position of need at all.

Five of our forwards are set. I don't think we're committed to a larger player in that sixth spot. We'll probably try a number of players in that spot to see what we can do. Even if we get Everitt, I don't think Gilbert will move. Goddard may spend time there, but he's not going to play as a permanent forward.

I don't see rucks as a position of need either. We have a clear pecking order with Gardiner, King, McEvoy, Stanley and McGrath. We can use Kosi and Blake there if we need to. I don't think there will be anything we can add in trade that suits what we need.

I think, if we trade, it will be for somebody young who comes at a reasonable price. Everitt might fit that description. Guys like Burgoyne and Davey won't. As I said, I don't think we'll be major players in trade week. We just don't have the quality picks or the positions of need to do it.

Milton66
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:

There's Armo, X, Eddy, Geary and Steven all outside the team that played yesterday. I don't see the midfield as a position of need at all.

Five of our forwards are set. I don't think we're committed to a larger player in that sixth spot. We'll probably try a number of players in that spot to see what we can do. Even if we get Everitt, I don't think Gilbert will move. Goddard may spend time there, but he's not going to play as a permanent forward.

I don't see rucks as a position of need either. We have a clear pecking order with Gardiner, King, McEvoy, Stanley and McGrath. We can use Kosi and Blake there if we need to. I don't think there will be anything we can add in trade that suits what we need.

I think, if we trade, it will be for somebody young who comes at a reasonable price. Everitt might fit that description. Guys like Burgoyne and Davey won't. As I said, I don't think we'll be major players in trade week. We just don't have the quality picks or the positions of need to do it.
+1.

I must admit that I'm not 100% on Kosi as FF, though. Not sure who'd replace him, but he needs to improve at least 20% next year.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Milton66 wrote:I must admit that I'm not 100% on Kosi as FF, though. Not sure who'd replace him, but he needs to improve at least 20% next year.
I'm 100% sold that he'll be our FF next year. I agree that he needs to improve though. His goalkicking really fell off in the second half of the season. He had really tough assignments his last two games and would have got much better marks had he actually finished. We really need him to become a serious threat to take some of the attention away from Roo.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi for FF is fine when you other KF is Roo...

Our problem is nor Kosi...but the lack ofa good medium forward.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Goodness, that was an interesting read....glad our coach is not the impulsive type.

We have a list, who's entire combined losing margin for the year was 19 points.

Trust me, it's not the ability of our list that impacted the result yesterday. It was lack of composure....

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:For goodness sake, we had the shots at goal, they didn't go through....this wasn't about lack of capable forwards, it was about lack of composure!
first sensible comment I've read in this thread

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

The above group I do not know if any will develop into elite mids. but yes they provide good depth. Steven shows flashes of brilliance..and as an aside when recruited the desription described him as similar type player to Chapman (who has since become a gorilla).

While Ball was good yesterday I still have concerns.

To be the best of the best one more elite mid would be nice. I would love Burgoyne.

I am also deathly afraid of what might happen if Lenny got injured, or in several years when he retires.
vacuous space wrote: Five of our forwards are set.
But it is that sixth we are struggling with...and it is an important role. Unfortunately more important in the wet and so we were unlucky the GF was wet.
vacuous space wrote:
For most games yes. But watching the GF against an underdone Ottens it made me concerned that while King and Gardi are a handy duo that together that they are not mobile enough and contribute enough around the ground especially in 12 months time when King may be just starting to get past things.

Big Ben is a great prospect..but in 12 months may still be lacking in ruck skills.

I really like Stanley...but it is expecting a lot for him to be ready by our next finals campaign.More so with McGrath.

However while I see the need for the next Final Campaign I do not see any likely available solutions better than what we have. so we will have to make do with what we have.

Stanley/ Ben I see as a great future combination with a great mix of different strengths.

Hopefully Ben will surprise me and come on quicker than I think he is likely too.
vacuous space wrote: I think, if we trade, it will be for somebody young who comes at a reasonable price. Everitt might fit that description. Guys like Burgoyne and Davey won't. As I said, I don't think we'll be major players in trade week. We just don't have the quality picks or the positions of need to do it.
Well I agree except that I think that we will trade.

Our first pick is not till No 16...in a draft where the "goss" seems to indicate that the pickings are lean after about the first dozen or so.

While I am a firm believer that Lyon is a solid recruiter for the long-term I also believe that he has been very deft at balncing this with trades to service our immediate needs.

With Lenny and Roo (our only two true elite players) at their prime for the next two seasons, witha good list backing them up our best window is the next 2 years and so I would imagine that Lyon will trade fora player (or two) who can play immediately.

As already mentioned I would love Burgoyne but like you do not believe that we have what it will take to get him.

Plus Lyon/Drains signature to date has been to look for "value" trades and especially in someone they believe that they can make into a better player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hayes needs some midfield help that can run the lines and win their own ball.

They put a brownlow medallist on him to stop us yesterday and it worked. Balls great at in and under but doesnt run /carry and break lines.

No to Nathan Browne - hes injury prone and finished.

I like the Goddard suggestion up fwd rotating through the middle aka Chapman........but we need to replace his defensive drive...with someone...

I do think before he was injured Goddard couldve been used forward more yesterday - particularly when we were dominant in the second as he was that medium size that would really pose problems for the Cats...

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Goodness, that was an interesting read....glad our coach is not the impulsive type.

We have a list, who's entire combined losing margin for the year was 19 points.

Trust me, it's not the ability of our list that impacted the result yesterday. It was lack of composure....
True.

But no list is perfect and we are about to enter a trade period followed by a drafting period.

So changes to the list are going to happen.

xander
Club Player

What do people think of Everitt? is he only a defender or could he play as a forward? either way i think we should target him although i havent seen a whole lot of him to be honest.

Milton66
SS Life Member

As mentioned in another thread, don't discount the improvement from within.

Once again, like last year, some supporters seem to assume that everything else will remain static.

When discussing the "gap", everyone was going on about Cousins, Kerr etc.

No one had the belief that Dal and Joey could take the quantum leap to the Elite level.

So who's to say that BJ and Ray won't do the same?

Yes, let's trade as well as we can, and draft as well as we can.

But let's not assume that some of our players won't keep improving.

Just have a look at yesterday's team and how many have played 100 games or less. In fact have a look at the entire season and apply the same.

It's more the senior players who won't get any better that concern me.

bethb7
Club Player

older saint wrote:Assuming off field issues can be dealth with and a big if Lovett would be an attractive option . He has pace which always helps and can kick goals from the midfield.
Was thinking the same thing, would give us flare and heaps of speed but yeah off field issues have to be dealt with.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'd be forgetting Burgoyne & Davey, too expensive in $$$ and what we'd have to give up.

I'd target Salopek and hope and trust Ross can inspire him to reach his potential which should be that of an elite mid.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:But it is that sixth we are struggling with...and it is an important role. Unfortunately more important in the wet and so we were unlucky the GF was wet.
I thought our forward structure held up just fine. The issue was we missed too many shots at goal while Geelong made the most of their opportunities. For all the talk here of third talls or medium forwards, I haven't heard RL suggest it's something we're looking for. Dempster and Gwilt may be phisically tall, but they don't play tall.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:As mentioned in another thread, don't discount the improvement from within.

Once again, like last year, some supporters seem to assume that everything else will remain static.

No one had the belief that Dal and Joey could take the quantum leap to the Elite level.

Just have a look at yesterday's team and how many have played 100 games or less. In fact have a look at the entire season and apply the same.

If Gram can step up and play consistent footy, to the level he played yesterday....that will also be a factor next year.

saintbob
SS Life Member

kalsaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I love the tiprat, but he is going missing more and more often. I doubt we could trade him though, who would take him.

Kosi I want to stay, I still think he can improve and perhaps at last live up to that number on the back of his jumper! Although I have to agree a true FF who kicks several each game would make our forward line scary and take 3 opponents off Roo in every contest.
Milne is a required player. He has developed so much more to his game this year including the ability to contribute to the Lyon game plan of forward pressure.

quote]

Yeah right, he does this probably every 3 or 4 games and he never does it in FINALS!!!!

So goodbye to the TIPRAT!!!

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:As mentioned in another thread, don't discount the improvement from within.

If Gram can step up and play consistent footy, to the level he played yesterday....that will also be a factor next year.
Gram should be the next player to up to elite status, as did Joey and Dal this year. The GF should give him the confidence to do so.

But like any positional change, you need to replace him with someone else in the backline or wing. This is where some one like X will be vital.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Yep. to use the Foxtel system, one more in the 'A' column will not go astray...

Thing is Geary, Armo and Steven are already B's.

Midfield depth is far from our achilles heel.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milton66
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I love the tiprat, but he is going missing more and more often. I doubt we could trade him though, who would take him.

Kosi I want to stay, I still think he can improve and perhaps at last live up to that number on the back of his jumper! Although I have to agree a true FF who kicks several each game would make our forward line scary and take 3 opponents off Roo in every contest.
Milne is a required player. He has developed so much more to his game this year including the ability to contribute to the Lyon game plan of forward pressure.

quote]

Yeah right, he does this probably every 3 or 4 games and he never does it in FINALS!!!!

So goodbye to the TIPRAT!!!
He'll be 30 and probably won't get any better. Has consistantly been beaten by heavier aopponents. You cannot question his commitment and effort.

Sometimes, your best just isn't good enough in the big scheme of things?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Milne's form during the year means diddly-squat when he goes missing in final after final..dunno about you guys, but I can handle a few lost games during the year, but in games like on Sat. where little men should have had a big influence, Milne was a spectator hanging around the forward line and one of the low lights in a low day..