Andrew Lovett Sacked!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

There are days when you are very proud of the club and the people in charge of it's direction.

Today was one of those days.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:There are days when you are very proud of the club and the people in charge of it's direction.

Today was one of those days.
I'm with you. Lovett trade failed. Like a band-aid...ripped off. Gone. Move on.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Are the AFLPA ever happy, far out!!!!!!!!!
He has been charged with rape!!! he doesnt have any place in the afl, his place is behind bars. (i am aware that he hasnt been convicted, but they wouldn't charge an afl player unless they were 99.9% positive he did it.)
I happy the saints have been proactive unlike essendon.
i am happy that the club picked up lovett it was a the right way to go. The club has done nothing wrong it is andrew that has let us down.
The club can't read into the future, they were told that andrew was "more responisble" but he is the same stupid person he was at essendon. The biggest wasted talent in 10 years.

Now we can consentrate on the footy and winning the long awaited second premiership we were robbed of last year.

Sainter for life.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well G-Train and Hamil were proven guns and a lot younger too

i'll take ur point regarding Watts and Brooks, pbly a bit harsh

Lovett doesn't fit into either category because he was older with a history

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:How about getting back on topic and that is Lovett :idea:

I just wonder when and what the AFL have to say on the matter, yes that may take a while, but I wonder if the Club has to pay out his contract or not.

Because if we do, that will effect our salary cap for 3 years...

Please correct me if I am wrong...
AFL not saying much,although Adrian Anderson has been doing the media rounds this afternoon/evening.

The club sacked him, meaning that they are not prepared to pay the ex employee another red cent. This will possibly be the subject of a legal battle going forward. There will also be negotiations with the AFL as well, even though I suspect that many of these have already taken place

There is still much more to come out on this over the coming weeks/months !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to see if the AFLPA, Mike Sheahan, Samantha Lane etc continue with their strong support of the ex employee of the club. I have noted that both Gerard Healey & Brian Taylor supported/accepted the decision of the club !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

PJ
SS Life Member

"innocent till proven guilty line",
Pretty inaccurate, misinformed and arrogant comment really - keep up the good work

The club has acted to protect itself, the players, and supporters and done so in an appropriate way.

Whether gulity or innocent Andrew Lovett is a seriously troubled individual - nothing good can come from this, pretty sad really.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Yes i finally agree you are right. They would have known he was going to be charged with rape. Also we wouldnt have been smart enough to work out he had other issues. No you are right and i agree with you that our club isnt smart enough to work out he had other problems unless the Dons told us.
You get more ludicrous with each letter typed.

Buyer freakin' beware Plugger! How many times do I need to slap your forehead with the same statement?

Of course we are capable (or incapable depending on your viepoint) of our own due diligence.

Equally Essendon are apparently very capable of stacking up a pile of rubbish recommendations to offload their trash.

At no stage do I blame them for our decision to recruit a dud. But I do question the merits of the high profile referees - Hird, Sheedy et al - who so willingly dressed a rancid carcass as eye fillet.

It's an ugly look.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
happy feet
Club Player

False references

There are legal consequences for providing someone with a false reference. The Club should look at its legal options in this regard.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes i finally agree you are right. They would have known he was going to be charged with rape. Also we wouldnt have been smart enough to work out he had other issues. No you are right and i agree with you that our club isnt smart enough to work out he had other problems unless the Dons told us.

Buyer freakin' beware Plugger! How many times do I need to slap your forehead with the same statement?

Of course we are capable (or incapable depending on your viepoint) of our own due diligence.

Equally Essendon are apparently very capable of stacking up a pile of rubbish recommendations to offload their trash.

At no stage do I blame them for our decision to recruit a dud. But I do question the merits of the high profile referees - Hird, Sheedy et al - who so willingly dressed a rancid carcass as eye fillet.

It's an ugly look.
Well you are consistent just not logical. yep Sheedy and Hird are going to wreck their reputation by telling a few white lies. Especially makes sense for Sheedy to try and help Essendon, the club who sacked him. Lets face it, its our issue and absolutely nothing to do with Essendon.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's an ugly look.
Well you are consistent just not logical. yep Sheedy and Hird are going to wreck their reputation by telling a few white lies. Especially makes sense for Sheedy to try and help Essendon, the club who sacked him. Lets face it, its our issue and absolutely nothing to do with Essendon.
Ah so we disagree. So what.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's an ugly look.

ask yourself this plugga...would you have given a reference for lovett...i certainly would not have...your words your bond....your reputation suffers if the person proves to be a dud....and this guy is a dud.....sheeds and hird are losers out of this too......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PJ
SS Life Member

I do question the merits of the high profile referees - Hird, Sheedy et al - who so willingly dressed a rancid carcass as eye fillet.
Sorry but you can't seriously think that people like Hird and Sheedy would have their public standing and industry reputations trashed just to get Andrew Lovett out of Essendon...or that they harbour deep resentment to the St.Kilda FC and would risk their professional names to get back at us.
This is just fairytale stuff

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's an ugly look.

ask yourself this plugga...would you have given a reference for lovett...i certainly would not have...your words your bond....your reputation suffers if the person proves to be a dud....and this guy is a dud.....sheeds and hird are losers out of this too......
Depends what they were asked and remember he hadnt been charged with rape when we got him.

AlpineStars
Club Player

I have just one thing to add

"Bye"

Wake me up when September ends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

had been charged with assault though..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I do question the merits of the high profile referees - Hird, Sheedy et al - who so willingly dressed a rancid carcass as eye fillet.
Sorry but you can't seriously think that people like Hird and Sheedy would have their public standing and industry reputations trashed just to get Andrew Lovett out of Essendon...or that they harbour deep resentment to the St.Kilda FC and would risk their professional names to get back at us.
i wouldn't even hazard a guess at their motivation.....but you don't seriously consider that they were trying to help the saints win a premiership do you???

PJ
SS Life Member

i wouldn't even hazard a guess at their motivation.....but you don't seriously consider that they were trying to help the saints win a premiership do you???
It's not a matter of trying to do one or the other they are professional people who have been asked their professional opinion. If you say they are deliberatly trying to misrepresent the situation then you are calling into question their standing as prominent people in the AFL community - everyone will have taken note of their recommendations. They will have many close friends and professional acquaintances that they hope will hold them in high regard.....would you not think??????????

degruch
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
It's not a matter of trying to do one or the other they are professional people who have been asked their professional opinion. If you say they are deliberatly trying to misrepresent the situation then you are calling into question their standing as prominent people in the AFL community - everyone will have taken note of their recommendations. They will have many close friends and professional acquaintances that they hope will hold them in high regard.....would you not think??????????
Meh, stranger things have happened. Malcolm Blight called for the club to be shut down (amongst other nonsensical rantings) when we sacked Stan Alves, then aparently put aside his bitter hatred of the all things St Kilda to coach only a few years later. Many years later, he gets prime airtime to abuse the club again. Do you not think some of these people believe they are bigger than the game, bigger than their associations, bigger than the AFL?

Offloading trash with a false reference is not out of the equation, however, you'd think St Kilda would have been smart enough to look past pure Essendon associations (as best it could) when recruiting him. Maybe the Saints were smart enough to do so, we obviously thought we were on top of it.

Anyway, I do remember certain journo's getting stuck into Robert Walls re: his recommendation of Lyon for the St Kilda coaching role, when things were going a bit sour. I wonder if the same people will take Sheeds and Hird to task over their glowing references of Lovett to a rival club? Whether they do or not, I truly believe the whole thing is just an unfortunate mistake, no conspiracies, just a tragic mess.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I think people like Hird and Sheedy and whoever else are/were involved would have said exactly whatever it was that they thought was in the best interests of wheover asked them for a reference.

I don't think that a fanciful notion at all.

To the contrary, I think it likely.

But at the same time I absolutely do not blame them for what happened or for influencing ST K's decision to take a risk.

I simply think some people lack the honour they are perceived to possess. I reckon sometimes human beings don't consider ramifications. I think that sometimes peopl let their egos override their judgement. That their ties may blind. Whatever it is, I simply ask the question how on earth a bloke like AL could be so willingly recommended by such eminent Essendonites?

Were all ten of them wrong?

Ask yourself this: For the 10 that did offer references, were there 20 that didn't/wouldn't?

Look, it's purely academic now and no doubt St K took refs with a pinch of salt (and in fairness to Plugger it does give an impression of deflection to raise it, however wrong that impression may be) but I reckon its an interesting aside to a pretty ugly state of affairs.

PJ
SS Life Member

I truly believe the whole thing is just an unfortunate mistake, no conspiracies, just a tragic mess.
Couldn't agree more...with regards to Blighty I think it's acknowledged he has some fairly unconventional attitudes and thoughts (footy philosophies aside)...Sheeds, who knows? but Hird?? I find it hard to believe.

It's turned sour no doubt but conspiracies..please

degruch
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
I truly believe the whole thing is just an unfortunate mistake, no conspiracies, just a tragic mess.
Couldn't agree more...with regards to Blighty I think it's acknowledged he has some fairly unconventional attitudes and thoughts (footy philosophies aside)...Sheeds, who knows? but Hird?? I find it hard to believe.

It's turned sour no doubt but conspiracies..please
I'm sure there'll be:

(a) More conspiracy fodder to come.
(b) Wilder conspiracies regardless.

Sigh.

Some fottball will be a welcome relief!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:ok lets move on.

can we promote a rookie? if so who?

simpkin?

Just because the club has sacked him for alleged breach of contract!!! does not mean he is delisted.
That has to wait until list lodgement No 1 in November 2010.

That means there is no vacancy created on the senior list until then.
This does not enable a rookie to be promoted.

However St Kilda already has a vacancy on the senior list into which a rookie could be promoted.
This is because they only have 39 senior and veteran players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
lewdogs
Club Player

I think there is only one way to move on from this, and that's winning games. If we start well then this will all be forgotten.

I also want to say that I thought he was a great signing at the time. This has turned out terribly but I think the club have done the right thing in sticking with the wishes of the playing group.

So lets just move on, play some good football and win the flag this year! Thankfully we can do that now, because it used to seem that dealing with these things (eg Blight's sacking) would inherently come with going down to the park to watch us get thumped again. Here's hoping for strength through unity.

And as an aside, blaming Essendon for this is absurd.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yes...I can just see the "Saints in early season turmoil" cheap shot headlines now should we lose Fri night.

Id really like to beat the Pies now..for the added message of "we're not distracted" it would send to the football world.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor