St Kilda line-up v Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:The Swans lineup will keep us honest: long on experience and short on duds. It's going to be a tough game. Players who didn't do much in the pre season like Joey and Kosi simply have to start firing from the opening bounce.

Gee I would feel more confident if Luke Ball was in our lineup. No good crying over spilt milk, though, is it?
No it isnt. We would probably be better with Hally as well but I dont think he is playing with us either.
I know he looked good in the NAB cup but, on last season's form, I don't think Hall would command a spot in our top 22.

Ball would. He would be in for one of Armitage, Peake or Geary. It's going to be a tough game against the Swans, and we will probably notice his absence.

Everybody except me on this forum seems to be totally sold on Armitage: so much so that, on another recent thread listing our supposed "weak links", his name didn't even come up. Yet McQualter's did FFS!!

In all the games I've seen Armitage play, I've really liked some of what he has done. But I'm not convinced that he is a complete AFL footballer just yet. I hope he proves me wrong big time tomorrow night. If he does, then we certainly won't miss Ball, so here's hoping.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:The Swans lineup will keep us honest: long on experience and short on duds. It's going to be a tough game. Players who didn't do much in the pre season like Joey and Kosi simply have to start firing from the opening bounce.

Gee I would feel more confident if Luke Ball was in our lineup. No good crying over spilt milk, though, is it?
No it isnt. We would probably be better with Hally as well but I dont think he is playing with us either.
I know he looked good in the NAB cup but, on last season's form, I don't think Hall would command a spot in our top 22.

Ball would. He would be in for one of Armitage, Peake or Geary. It's going to be a tough game against the Swans, and we will probably notice his absence.

Everybody except me on this forum seems to be totally sold on Armitage: so much so that, on another recent thread listing our supposed "weak links", his name didn't even come up. Yet McQualter's did FFS!!

In all the games I've seen Armitage play, I've really liked some of what he has done. But I'm not convinced that he is a complete AFL footballer just yet. I hope he proves me wrong big time tomorrow night. If he does, then we certainly won't miss Ball, so here's hoping.
Not just us on the forum, externally as well. So you don't agree it's been largely due to limited opportunity over the last 12 months?

I am interested to hear what are you looking for to convince you that he can be a complete footballer. I am not sure if it's fair to expect him to be the exact mould of Ball, because I already believe he will bring different qualities such as contributing to the scoreboard.

Agree that Mini has earned his place, and not sure why he featured in the other thread.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well we may miss a 2005 model "Happy Ball", however I'm not sure we'll miss a 2009 model "Sooky Ball", or a 2010 model "Even Sookier If He Had've Stayed Ball".

And seeing the 2005 model has now been discontinued, I for one will be comparing Armo's performances with the current model.

Have a good one Dave :)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well we may miss a 2005 model "Happy Ball", however I'm not sure we'll miss a 2009 model "Sooky Ball", or a 2010 model "Even Sookier If He Had've Stayed Ball".

And seeing the 2005 model has now been discontinued, I for one will be comparing Armo's performances with the current model.

Have a good one Dave :)
Fair comment: Ball in 2009 had quite a few limitations that have been discussed ad nauseum on here. But he was a seasoned, hard in and under player. Armitage has shown the ability to perform this role for passages in games, and also to be more of an attacking force.

In the game against the Hawks at Launceston last year, Armo was sensational. If he can play like that every game, he will be a star.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I don't feel 100% confident that we are going to see the Launceston model of Armo on a regular basis just yet. Like Joey (who really only hit his straps in his 5th season), I think he is going to be a terrific player in the long run but might need another year or two to get it totally together.

Hope I'm wrong.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Everybody except me on this forum seems to be totally sold on Armitage: so much so that, on another recent thread listing our supposed "weak links", his name didn't even come up.
Given that you thought Ross Lyon should be sacked midyear 2008 and replaced with Bundy, please forgive me if I don't take you seriously!

Armitage will be a very good player and already pound for pound has it over Ball, beat him in the NAB cup game for starters,

he might lack experience and his name might not look as good to you on paper but he's certainly going to gain much more invaluable experience on account of Ball leaving!

Armitage's opportunities and role will be far greater without Ball and it's all about grabbing opportunities, so Ball leaving might be a huge blessing in disguise.

Armitage has only played a handful of games and already shown more promise than most at this stage of proceedings!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Everybody except me on this forum seems to be totally sold on Armitage: so much so that, on another recent thread listing our supposed "weak links", his name didn't even come up.
Given that you thought Ross Lyon should be sacked midyear 2008 and replaced with Bundy, please forgive me if I don't take you seriously!

Armitage will be a very good player and already pound for pound has it over Ball, beat him in the NAB cup game for starters,

he might lack experience and his name might not look as good to you on paper but he's certainly going to gain much more invaluable experience on account of Ball leaving!

Armitage's opportunities and role will be far greater without Ball and it's all about grabbing opportunities, so Ball leaving might be a huge blessing in disguise.

Armitage has only played a handful of games and already shown more promise than most at this stage of proceedings!
Well well...

You bring up the past about a posters comments and then state...

"forgive me if I don't take you seriously"

If you want to bring up the past...

How about your post that the selection of our coach Ross Lyon was comprised????????

How about your continued posts about Rix???

How about you just concentrate on the present, because some of your comments would leave plenty thinking whether to take you seriously??

In any case meher baba has put up an interesting point IMO...

There are a few Vying for Ball's spot at present...

Armitage, Alister Smith and Steven just to mention a few...

Armitage's spot in the best 22 is still a questionable IMO...

I hope he grabs it, because there are a few other options

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote: "forgive me if I don't take you seriously"

How about your post that the selection of our coach Ross Lyon was comprised????????

How about you just concentrate on the present, because some of your comments would leave plenty thinking whether to take you seriously??
You mean you actually took that seriously?

LOL

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

LOL
err, NO....

I Don't tale you seriously at all...

Hence why I was wondering just why you made this comment to meher baba...
barks4eva wrote:Given that you thought Ross Lyon should be sacked midyear 2008 and replaced with Bundy, please forgive me if I don't take you seriously!
oh, and please forgive me if I don't take you seriously :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Given that you thought Ross Lyon should be sacked midyear 2008 and replaced with Bundy, please forgive me if I don't take you seriously!
Yeah, no worries, you're forgiven!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I thought Robert Eddy pulled up injured in last weekends Zebras game, yet he is named an emergency...
we all know the robert eddy is the coaches favourite. loves him like his own son.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I thought Robert Eddy pulled up injured in last weekends Zebras game, yet he is named an emergency...
we all know the robert eddy is the coaches favourite. loves him like his own son.

Ignorant post.

Eddy is what - 22 years old?

How was Thommo or even Lenny going at this stage?

Rob Eddy works his arse off to get back from injury (and has actually been quite unlucky with injury over the last 12 months), earns the respect of the coach in the process, and this is the pigs swill you serve up.

Good hard look required!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
PJ
SS Life Member

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I don't feel 100% confident that we are going to see the Launceston model of Armo on a regular basis just yet
Given that the season hasn't started yet I find these sort of comments loaded with negative personal bias, based on hunches, a bit rich. Which part of his game are you less than impressed with - given he has had very little continuity?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

LOL
err, NO....

I Don't tale you seriously at all...

Hence why I was wondering just why you made this comment to meher baba...
barks4eva wrote:Yeah, no worries, you're forgiven!
Yeah, maybe I should just laugh at most of your posts :idea: :roll:

More so the first post you made when RL was announced as our coach and then claiming it was compromised because of a member of the selection panel and that Longmire was the obvious choice, yeah great first post on our coach's selection...

Fair Dinkum, your conspiracy theories are a joke and should not be taken seriously...

The again, why did you comment on meher baba and mentioned this???
Just another post that people should not take seriously??

If so, why bother with the sarcasm? A little bored are you???

Yep, you really embraced the selection of Ross Lyon and then turn around and question another poster....

FAIR DINKUM!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ignorant post.

Eddy is what - 22 years old?

How was Thommo or even Lenny going at this stage?

Rob Eddy works his arse off to get back from injury (and has actually been
quite unlucky with injury over the last 12 months), earns the respect of the coach in the process, and this is the pigs swill you serve up.

Good hard look required!
Eddy is an OK player IMO. Not only does he run all over the place like Dempster, but he also - unlike Dempster - tackles hard and goes for the
ball. But his disposal skills by foot are pretty ordinary: the good old high, slow looping kicks that give opponents all the time in the world to shut down the target player.

Lyon is on the public record as saying he loves Eddy (as a player: the "son" analogy is a little over the top).

I think he's a reasonable choice as an emergency - who would people suggest as an alternative? - but he can't be anything like match fit and would expect Smith to get the nod ahead of him if there is a late omission.

- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

For god's sake...

WHY?

So you could watch half a game from of a slow, lame duck.

I know I shouldn't even bother biting, but seriously, that's just sh-t.

Here's a tip: WATCH BLOODY ARMO INSTEAD.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

For god's sake...

WHY?

That's your opinion, fine. No need to abuse me. I wasn't baiting, as you insinuate. I actually have a high regard for Ball as at footballer, even with his limitations. I reckon he is a much better footballer right now than Armo.

Sorry about having that opinion. Apparently Saints supporters aren't allowed to think that way, at least on this forum.

Go and ask the rest of the AFL about how they rate the relative abilities of Ball and Armo and see how you go.

Perhaps Armo will prove to be a far better footballer than Ball: I certainly hope so. Right now i think we are going into a season with a weaker midfield than last year, and one that is more heavily reliant on Lenny than ever.

Last night the Geelong midfield was mind-boggingly awesome. The Dogs loom pretty intimidating too.

I'm feeling worried ATM. I really, really hope that I have no grounds for feeling this way. But surely I'm allowed to say so on here.

Or should I concentrate on what I see as irrelevancies like bagging the s$&t out of Zac and Raph.

- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Last night the Geelong midfield was mind-boggingly awesome.
Actually I Ithought that the Don's midfield was creaming them till Gablett stood up on the second half and turned the game their way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Go and ask the rest of the AFL about how they rate the relative abilities of Ball and Armo and see how you go.

Well if you look at Bigfooty for example Pies fans were in the main very happy...but supporters of other clubs basically state that Ball is not so great. Yes good in and under, but after that they will state he is a plodder with poor use of the ball.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Thinline wrote:

For god's sake...

WHY?

That's your opinion, fine. No need to abuse me. I wasn't baiting, as you insinuate. I actually have a high regard for Ball as at footballer, even with his limitations. I reckon he is a much better footballer right now than Armo.

Sorry about having that opinion. Apparently Saints supporters aren't allowed to think that way, at least on this forum.

Perhaps Armo will prove to be a far better footballer than Ball: I certainly hope so. Right now i think we are going into a season with a weaker midfield than last year, and one that is more heavily reliant on Lenny than ever.

Last night the Geelong midfield was mind-boggingly awesome. The Dogs loom pretty intimidating too.

I'm feeling worried ATM. I really, really hope that I have no grounds for feeling this way. But surely I'm allowed to say so on here.

Or should I concentrate on what I see as irrelevancies like bagging the s$&t out of Zac and Raph.
Ease up tiger. I could've been a little less punchy, granted.

But if you want to talk 'relevancies', why lament the absence of a player who is no longer with the club?

Yours is not an opinion, it's a hypothesis.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

Yep, you really embraced the selection of Ross Lyon and then turn around and question another poster....

FAIR DINKUM!!
I embraced the selection of Ross Lyon from day one!

I did write that the selection process might be compromised a tad with Walls on the committee, being a friend of Lyon, BEFORE Ross Lyon got appointed!

From day one, after seeing the very first interview with Ross Lyon following his appointment, I posted my joy at finally having a coach who was a great believer in the basic fundamentals and have been a true believer ever since!

I have never doubted for a minute that Ross Lyon is the correct appointment from day one and everyone responsible for his appointment should be congratulated!

Any clearer for you?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Thinline wrote:

For god's sake...

WHY?

Sorry about having that opinion. Apparently Saints supporters aren't
allowed to think that way, at least on this forum.

Ease up tiger. I could've been a little less punchy, granted.

But if you want to talk 'relevancies', why lament the absence of a player who is no longer with the club?

Yours is not an opinion, it's a hypothesis.
Reasonable point, but I see the issue of Ball as still relevant in the sense that he has left a gap we need to fill. Armo, Steven, Geary, Al Smith are all potentially able to do this, but none of them have done so yet.

This is a more realistic way of looking at Ball's departure IMO than mindlessly chanting "good riddance to bad rubbish" or "Armo is better than Ball".

But I don't have any problem with "Go Armo".

So GO ARMO!!

- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Last night the Geelong midfield was mind-boggingly awesome.
Actually I Ithought that the Don's midfield was creaming them till Gablett stood up on the second half and turned the game their way.
The Bombers ran around like maniacs for 3 quarters and put plenty of pressure on. Then, in the last quarter, the Cats midfield just calmly strolled up and tore the Bombers midfield into tiny little pieces.

It was terrifying stuff IMO: like watching a deer trying to outrun a lion.

I really don't understand why some commentators are suggesting that the Cats are a spent force and it'll be a Saints-Dogs GF this year.

Don't think so.

- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you there MB, the media as a whole have certainly abandoned the Saints, but Geelong even more so.

I realise the absence of Ball concerns you, however if Lenny doesn't play tonight, don't be too hard on Armo as he will likely get the Kirk tag.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Agree with you there MB, the media as a whole have certainly abandoned the Saints, but Geelong even more so.

I realise the absence of Ball concerns you, however if Lenny doesn't play tonight, don't be too hard on Armo as he will likely get the Kirk tag.
Yes, good point. Kirk is just about unbeatable.

Unless, of course, the umps are truly going to crack down on holding at stoppages.... (has anyone got access to a flying pig emoticon...?)

- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Agree with you there MB, the media as a whole have certainly abandoned the Saints, but Geelong even more so.

+1

Geelong's midfield is still pretty young in the main and midfields are the heart of all teams.

Still see them as Top 4 this year.